Start by marking “Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success” as Want to Read:
Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success

Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success

A definitive book for any CEO--first time or otherwise--of a high-growth companyWhile big company CEOs are usually groomed for the job for years, startup CEOs aren't--and they're often young and relatively inexperienced in business in general. Author Matt Blumberg, a technology and marketing entrepreneur, knows this all too well. Back in 1999, he started a company called R ...more
Published September 3rd 2013 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Startup CEO, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Startup CEO

Michał
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am rating books in a manner that should help others to decide wheather to read one or not. I give this one a 5, since I believe that everyone even remotely engaged into running a startup/business will find this book helpful and worth reading. You could basically print most of it, and put in on the wall as a TODO list for yourself.
Bett Correa-Bollhoefer
It's got everything you need to know to be a ceo. It also lets you know how hard it is to be a ceo. Good to read for any leader in a company to understand more about how a company should be run.
Rich Maloy
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I really want to be able to strongly recommend this to most of the startups I work with on a daily basis, but it's not for early stage startups. I have to keep in mind that this series of startup books originated with Brad Feld from Foundry Group, a venture firm that invests in Series A & B rounds. The vast majority of the startups I see and work with are at the angel and seed level of capital and growth. As such, advice such as annual 360 reviews is not the most critical advice I would offe ...more
Scott Wozniak
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Strong and specific discuss of being CEO of a startup. He gives you enough info to be practical and then points you to books and people who can help you go deeper in area, if you want. I loved all his points.

My only note is that it’s very much for a startup that has major investors. A large portion of the book is focused on things like investor board and stock options. So if that’s not your approach, then you’ll have to skip a good chunk of the book.

Otherwise, very well done.
Rui Varela Morte
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This is a great book for one who's starting a business, startup or not.
Inside you will find many starting points to be a better CEO. More than taht I felt more conscious about the complexity of being a CEO.
Vlad Caluș
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Vague.
Ali Yildiz
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book for the ones who has a dream of being a business owner
Stijn Volders
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A great book for anyone in a leadership position. There are heaps of great idea's in this book covering all important aspects of running a business.

Stop what you're doing and start reading!
Bryan Doughty
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I generally listen to books while at the gym and this audio books is divided into two sections which are each a little of 6 hours long or a lot of treadmill time.

The book had its moments, but far too often felt like as advertisement for ReturnPath or Brad Feld. I guess this makes since to prop both up, but it got old and fast. I much prefer more info and I just did not feel like I got enough.

The first half just never grabbed me at all, but the second half had lots of thoughtful info and suggesti
Jill
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
This was a good, solid book about leading a start-up. I think it serves better as a reference manual than as a business text that you would want to consume in one sitting. He gives good advice about a large number of issues that CEO's (and other execs) face at one point or another. I could see myself returning to this when, say, I'm beginning to plan our next executive offsite, or if we're having problems with a member of the BOD, etc.
Eliot Peper
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Matt's a veteran entrepreneur and his book is a gift to CEO's everywhere. Many management books only focus on big company leadership issues. Many entrepreneurship books focus only on very early stage businesses. Startup CEO walks you through the entire growth lifecycle of running a business. Plus, it's organized in easily digestible, standalone chapters that contain concise and actionable perspective and recommendations. If you're leading a company, this is a book worth making time for.
Kelly
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Read this on my Kindle and it's the ideal format, as I made a ton of highlights for practical info (board meeting agendas, executive assistant job descriptions, etc.) I'll refer to later. Strongly recommend reading this in Kindle/digital format so you can highlight, and NOT as an audio book, due to the reference material contained within.
Vasco
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: startups
Excellent read. It starts out slow with business model and idea validation subjects I didn't enjoy that much. But from there onwards it's a roller coaster of deep content about all areas the CEO operates with, ranging from boards to assistants to employees to compensation and bonuses. Well rounded and deep book. To re-read!
Derek
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Exactly applicable to what the title states. I especially like the last little chapter that includes comments from his wife (apparently this is the tip of the iceberg for another book: Startup Life). Appreciate the effort the author put into it.
Mathias Meyer
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mngmnt
A great book, reference, guide for anyone who finds himself in the position of building a company. Read it on the Kindle but bought the print version just so I can have it on my desk to thumb through whenever I need it.

A+++ book, highly recommended.
Niklas Jansen
One of the best and clearest guide I've ever read. The author gives valuable insights and how-to advices on how to run a fast-growing company effectively.
Kevin
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read for any leader particularly the CEO in a start up.
Garrett Petticrew
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was much longer than I anticipated, but that is a good thing. It was jam packed with useful information and gave a clear picture of what the Startup CEO world really looks like.
Paul
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolute essential read for any startup CEO or co-founder. It really walks you through everything you can expect and how to deal with it.
Mike Smith
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Must read for anyone in business period. This book has advice that is aimed at startups and new ventures but its lessons are broadly applicable.
BLACK CAT
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really good: the basics from an experienced techo CEO. I would call it: the básico guide to run your silicon valley startup. Must read.
Nopadol Rompho
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: startup
If you want to or have already become startup CEO, I would strongly recommend you to read this book. It is written by someone who has been start CEO. The experience he shared is valuable.
Dan Pickett
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A really great overview of what it takes to run a startup. I especially liked the sections on setting up a personal operating system and working with an assistant.
Tyra Seale
Jun 30, 2017
Stephan Kristiansen
Apr 21, 2014
  • Startup Life: Surviving and Thriving in a Relationship with an Entrepreneur
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Hot Seat: The Startup CEO Guidebook
  • Mavericks At Work
  • Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success
  • Notes to a software team leader
  • Corporate Finance for Dummies
  • Street Smarts: An All-Purpose Tool Kit for Entrepreneurs
  • Secrets of Silicon Valley: What Everyone Else Can Learn from the Innovation Capital of the World
  • The Cheat Code: Going Off Script to Get More and Go Faster
  • The Sages: Warren Buffett, George Soros, Paul Volcker, and the Maelstrom of Markets
  • Innovation You: Four Steps to Becoming New and Improved
  • Warren Buffet Partnership Letters 1957-1970
  • Get Big Fast and Do More Good: Start Your Business, Make It Huge, and Change the World
  • Marketing Lessons from the Grateful Dead: What Every Business Can Learn from the Most Iconic Band in History
  • Your Best Just Got Better: Work Smarter, Think Bigger, Achieve More
  • The Launch Pad: Inside Y Combinator, Silicon Valley's Most Exclusive School for Startups
  • The First Billion Is the Hardest: How Believing It's Still Early in the Game Can Lead to Life's Greatest Comebacks