Start by marking “The Amber Ring” as Want to Read:
The Amber Ring

Read Book

The Amber Ring

At the age of ten, Sofia Corona saved the Fairwoods from the malevolent grasp of the Cedar Witch and her goblin army.

Two years later, she drowned unceremoniously in the lake behind her Oregon home.

In the months following the Heroine’s death, when the Fairwoods face a resurgence of goblin attacks, they are forced to turn to Sofia’s cynical twin sister, Maya, for help. Altho
Paperback, First edition, 108 pages
Published March 21st 2013 by Acaleph Media (first published March 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Amber Ring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amber Ring

Dylan Baker
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookwyrms
The Amber Ring reminds me of the best sort of classic fairy tales: it's an amusing, fast read, but beneath the whimsy lurks sharp teeth with a bite. Walton juxtaposes a humorous and goofy magical world where bears govern towns and trolls wear hats with harsh realities including gritty fights with goblins and the challenges of coping with a deceased sister. This juxtaposition results in a unique spin on many classic fantasy tropes, granting the reader plenty of laughs and sly winks while building ...more
K. A. Parker
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this a long time ago as a PDF. maybe for joining a mail list or something. Anyway, it wasn't too bad. I thought the switches between Cam and Camden as an address could have been more finalized in the narrative style, but I thought the story was pretty good. Interesting from start to finish.
Barbara Ann
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book of approximately one hundred pages might be described as a dark fantasy. There are many traditional fantasy characters like gryphons, trolls, fairies, unicorns and witches. A few others like the Talking Bear Mayor and the satyr sheriff are a bit of a stretch. Then there is a reluctant heroine and her twin sister who is a magical weaver and heroine.

Allow me to summarize the plot briefly. Maya is a rather morose and cynical twelve year old whose twin sister Sofia has recently drowned. So
Michelle Proulx
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
**I received a free promotional copy from the author in exchange for an honest review**

I loved this novella. It’s short, it’s sweet, and it does a glorious job of turning the traditional “hero” story on its head. One of the things I loved about this book is that there’s your classic heroine destined by fate to save a magical world of zany fantasy creatures … except that she drowns in a pool, and suddenly it’s up to her emotionally detached sister to save the day instead.

The character of Maya is
Jen Ponce
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well. My nine year old and I just finished this book. We are both sort of in shock at the ending. Luc really enjoyed it, until the end. It's definitely not something I expected, but the more I think about it, the better it gets, until it's like some dark family secret, shrouded in mystery.

The book reads well and is beautifully polished. The story flows well. There are a lot of silly things in it, like the bear in the hat, or the satyr, or the Maple Witch. I kept expecting all of them to be evil
Matthew J
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book for the careful balance of drama and humor in a fantasy adventure setting. Maya, a pragmatic counterpart to her recently deceased twin, plays a great straight man and lends some seriousness to the carnival of fairytale bizzarity she has been asked to save.

Being a novella, it isn't so long that the reader could grow tired of the colorful world Walton has created. Maya's indignation at being subjected to such silliness never interferes with the story of her quest, and try as one
Jess Owen
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I traded books with my fellow author for honest reviews!

I highly enjoyed this bite-sized fantasy. A smart, likeable heroine is pitted against a classic whimsical fantasy world, with mixed and wonderfully readable results. In some moments it reminds me of everything I loved about the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony. So much adventure and wit is packed into this story and I truly enjoyed it--I'm looking forward to reading more, or longer, works by the author.
E.B. Thompson
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My only complaint? That it ended. I hope there will be more adventures in the future, both Maya's and Sofia's. I'm very interested to see what Maya does now and also, how Sofia saved the Fairwoods the first time and all her adventures that set the story up for Maya.
Kimberly
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very quick read with colorful characters from ferry tales that really jump off the pages and come alive. You've got the good, bad and ugly in it. It's a great book for those days when you need to escape for a bit but don't have a lot of time
Arf2D2
Jun 17, 2014
librigirl
Apr 16, 2013
A.L. Walton
Mar 29, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
Monica
Tammy
Christine
The Giveaway Has Ended (But the eBook's Still Free!) 1 3 May 15, 2013 05:55PM
A former network administrator and software developer for the U.S. Department of Defense, A.L. Walton (otherwise known as Piscis – or simply “the fish”) currently resides in Boise, Idaho, where he spends a good chunk of his time making stuff up and putting it on paper. And writing music. But mostly the other thing.