Start by marking “The Socrates Project” as Want to Read:
The Socrates Project

The Socrates Project

The Socrates Project is a secret attempt by the United Nations to avert the predicted collapse of our civilisations. Simon Oceandis heads up the sicads, who must blend modern science and ancient wisdom to find the solutions before time runs out.

Not everybody welcomes the Project. An influential secret society plots to discredit and destroy the sicads. Torn between the love
Published February 2013 by Nautilus Media (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Socrates Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Socrates Project

Nicole
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I received a free copy of The Socrates Project via a Goodreads giveaway. I absolutely loved this book. This is one of the best books I've ever read, possibly the best book I've ever read. Everything about this book is amazing. I would define this book as a beautiful tragedy. I highly recommend this book and I would love to see this book made into a movie. Thank-you Goodreads and thank-you Daron Sheehan.
Taylor
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free from goodreads giveaway.

Wow, I didn't know what to expect but I could not put this book down. It was thrilling, insightful and made me ponder deep questions regarding life on every page. Over and over I was surprised by the twists and turns of the paths for each character. I will recommend this book to everyone.
Rianne Marijke
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was in doubt between 2 and 3 stars. It's an entertaining enough book, but all the 'hippie-crap' made me skip through quite a bit of philosophical dialogue. The book makes its point with about the subtlety of a sledgehammer, which I don't particularly like. Three stars for entertaining robot story, minus one star for too much hippy philosophical exposition instead of story.
Jenny
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The story is fast-paced and exciting, as well as innovative and thought-provoking. A brilliant first novel for Daron Sheehan - can't wait for his next book!
Damian Knight
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book interesting story. With eco message
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
(I received this book for free as part of Goodreads First Reads Giveaways).

(This review may contain spoilers. Also mentions of adult themes that could be triggering).

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book when I received it. The whole premise seemed interesting, but a lot of the book was... very slow-moving. The pace doesn't pick up until the last hundred or so pages - at which point, it did pull me in to keep reading; but I was very disappointed in well over half of the book.

I don't
David Czupryna
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I would have loved to love this book. The original idea that underlies the narrative is a beautiful one that would deserve to get a wide audience. It is indeed because humans have lost the connection with nature, that we have become remote to our animal spirit, that's cruelty towards animal and the destruction of our shared earth have become so widespread. Unfortunately, the book quickly sinks into a Dan Brown like storyline with oversimplistic characters and a 500 words vocabulary. Actually it ...more
Davidw
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ein Politthriller, ein Naturabenteuer, Science-Fiction, Gesellschaftsroman, verzaubernde Utopie.....
Es fällt schwer, dieses Buch in eine Schublade zu stecken und ihm trotzdem dabei gerecht zu werden. Und trotzdem hat man nicht das Gefühl, dass versucht wurde alles unter einen Hut zu bekommen. Dies mag vielleicht den ein oder anderen Abschrecken, ich fand es dadurch jedoch erfrischend. The Socrates Project schafft es die reale Komplexität der Gesellschaft und ihre Beziehung zur Grundlage allen Le
Lorna
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won this book through a goodreads giveaway.

This book was a brilliant read and I enjoyed the twists in store throughout. The themes were interesting and very different to what I would usually read and I was pleasantly surprised. The only negative I have for this book is the pace which seemed a bit slow for my liking and it was only nearer the end of the book that this sorted itself out. I'm not sure how the author would have changed this as it seemed essential to the plot to be slower and more
Sheena
Apr 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, physical
I received this as a Goodreads give away. While enjoyable I found the books speed to be off. The beginning, first few chapters, was way too fast without any real markers of time passing, outside of the prologue. I some times felt like I was behind a bit in events because of years passing without any real indicator that they had passed. There seemed to be too much commentary on the nature of humans and not enough forward motion in the plot. Most of the plot happens in the last third or so of the ...more
Elise
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
So I received this book through the Goodread's First Read's Program, and I'll admit the 400 pages seemed a little daunting. The book was, however, a fascinating and captivating read.

The Socrates Project follows the story of the highly advanced robots, the sciads who face the challenge of convincing humans that they are killing off the earth. But what make this book so compelling is the way the story unfolds around Simon, the head sciads, and his journey to understand humanity and why we're all
Leo Van gerwen
Het Socrates Project is een geheime poging van de Verenigde Naties om de voorspelde wereldwijde instorting van onze beschaving te voorkomen. Simon Oceandis leidt de sicads, die moderne wetenschap en eeuwenoude wijsheid moeten combineren om een oplossing te vinden voor het te laat is.

Een fantastisch boek! Op een spannende wijze wordt de noodzaak van een gemeenschappelijk verantwoordelijkheidsgevoel beschreven.
Amanda Block
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Socrates Project is a compelling, unexpected and action-heavy novel, which at times reads like a movie (in a good way). Yet it is saved from being just another average thriller by the ethical and environmental themes running throughout. The pacy plot and snappy dialogue make TSP's weighty subject matter easier to digest, and kept me turning the pages until the end.

Victorvanr
Oct 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
I read it but did not really enjoy it. I simply had no other book.
The pseudo reli-philosophical reflections are simplistic. The fatherly tone forced me to speed read. I was happy to finish it and to be able to start something better.
Kyra Sheehan
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
This is a highly readable, excellent novel and I couldn't put it down.

The Socrates Project has all the elements of a good thriller, whilst also conveying an important message about the state of our planet.

I hope there are more books to come from this author.
Stephanie
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Won this books through a Goodreads giveaway! Full review to come!
Joke
Dec 16, 2018
Gertjan de Boer
Jul 09, 2018
Matt
rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2016
Oct 09, 2014

• Modern Dating: A Field Guide
  • Hell's Chimney
  • Stalin's Witnesses
  • HeartStone (Dolvia Saga #2)
  • The General and Monaville, Texas
  • A Matter of Importance
  • Catacombs of the Damned
  • How Not to Cry in Public & Other Victories (The Cousin Cycle, #4)
  • Love and Happiness
  • The Infinite Resource: The Power of Ideas on a Finite Planet
  • The Gaggle: How the Guys You Know Will Help You Find the Love You Want
  • The Case of the Haunted Chapel (Sisters of the Last Straw #1)
  • A Time of Myths
  • Gold of the Gods (Mission Survival #1)
  • Pastors' Wives
  • Our Supreme Task: How Winston Churchill's Iron Curtain Speech Defined the Cold War Alliance
  • The Bohemian Love Diaries: A Memoir
  • The Invitation
My novels draw inspiration from my diverse experiences from life as a chef, hedge fund manager, adventurer and sustainability consultant.

My adventures have seen me cycling across continents, crossing mountain ranges on skis, navigating wild African rivers and scaling rock faces hundreds of metres high.

I am married with three adult children and I have met a fascinating band of global characters t