Start by marking “Memoirs of an Early Arab Feminist: The Life and Activism of Anbara Salam Khalidi” as Want to Read:

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Memoirs of an Early Arab Feminist is the first English translation of the memoirs of Anbara Salam Khalidi, the iconic Arab feminist. At a time when women are playing a leading role in the Arab Spring, this book brings to life an earlier period of social turmoil and women's activism through one remarkable life.

Anbara Salam was born in 1897 to a notable Sunni Muslim family
Published April 5th 2013 by Pluto Press (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs of an Early Arab Feminist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoirs of an Early Arab Feminist

Beelzo
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I rated this very informative book 3 stars, not because I did not like it, but because in my opinion it could have been an easier read.

To begin with, the vocabulary used is not an average level of English language. Unless you have a strong base in English, you will need to make a stop every now and then to look up words in a dictionary, and in my opinion, history books must be an easy read for everyone. However, taking into consideration that this is an autobiography of a writer I can understan
Scheherazade
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was such a heartfelt memoir, written with a lot of nostalgia for a past that was so difficult for Anbara, yet perfect in the little joys it gave her. It was fascinating for me to read about Lebanon's history through a budding feminist's eyes. It also offered a sneak peek at how Lebanese women viewed their counterparts in Egypt. I didn't realise how interconnected the two countries - on the political sphere at least - were.
As a woman who moved to Jerusalem with her husband and made Palestin
Anne
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The writing consisted of a lot of telling versus showing readers a story and letting us participate in the emotion of it. However, the history in this is incredibly valuable and important. Fascinating and devastating stuff.
Jody Curtis
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating first-person perspective on middle east history from pre-WWI era through 1970s.
Made me go research history of Palestine/Israel, and helped to understand better events in current-day Syria.
Definitely recommend.