Start by marking “Arrow of the Mist (Arrow of the Mist, #1)” as Want to Read:
Arrow of the Mist (Arrow of the Mist, #1)

Arrow of the Mist (Arrow of the Mist #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  290 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
From Publishers Weekly--"Ancient magic and herbal lore mark this engaging, fast-moving fantasy with a botanical bent. Lia, 15, is a winning heroine, discovering and wielding her magical gifts. Well developed characters, elegant dialogue, trickster creatures, exciting scenes of mystic battle and intriguing riddles stir up a powerful potion that will charm readers."

Terror s
Published March 13th 2013 by Christina Mercer (first published March 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Arrow of the Mist, please sign up.
Courtney The major points of Arrow of the Mist are wrapped up at the end for the most part and while there isn't a cliffhanger per se there is a heavy lead in…moreThe major points of Arrow of the Mist are wrapped up at the end for the most part and while there isn't a cliffhanger per se there is a heavy lead in to Arms of Anu.
If you're the type that must have a firm resolution I'd probably commit to reading the series. (less)

Rebecca Lawton
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christina Mercer must be an alchemist. No other word describes the blend of magic and pragmatic herbal lore contained within Arrow of the Mist. Her protagonist Lia is a strong character with a headful and beltful of balms and cures. But she also has an impulsive temperament and growing sense of power, which requires effort and mastery on her part. So there's conflict from the start, and of course that makes for a page turner . . . and a journey into the unknown. Whether writing about the mythica ...more
Billie
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly the kind of book I would’ve wanted to curl up with on my window seat with when I was a teen – and my enjoyment of it now reminded me of how much I love beautifully written, epic quests with powerful female characters. When I finished, I was a little shell-shocked to find myself back in the real world. I want to lose myself again in Mercer’s forbidden lands, magic plants and ancient folklore. Here’s hoping we don’t have to wait too long for a sequel!
Jordan
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A rollicking great epic journey with a strong female protagonist, Arrow of the Mist is a YA novel that is atmospheric and deeply rooted in Celtic traditions and herblore so real you'll believe the land of Brume is truly just waiting beyond the garden gate. Mercer writes beautifully, and her protagonist Lia is strong, smart and savvy--a wonderful role model for girls today, but this lyrical novel will captivate readers of all ages.
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Confession time - I haven't read the blurb but boy isn't the cover pretty!

You all who have gotten the ARC of this book - I envy you...

Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

I strongly believe that many, like I, were taken aback after seeing this book. It showed out of nowhere and suddenly I was in desperate need for this book. Look at the cover it literary talks to you and then you read the blurb and you stare at it in awe! At least I was. It sounded like everything one might need to have a bloo
Tomi L.  Wiley
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arrow of the Mist is an intriguing tale of a young woman destined for greatness, the power of the natural world and dedication to family and history. The writing is tight and compelling, and the heroine is one for many YA readers to look up to - I personally look forward to the next adventure!
Julia Tracey
Christina Mercer's Arrow of the Mist is a sensuously written earthy fantasy about an otherworldly place where evil roots tear through the scrim into simple peasant lives. Lia has the knowledge of Grandmother's Grimoire, however, and she can read the trees and the herbs and the leaves, feel their spirits and intuit their essences. On a quest through the forest to find the cure for the deadly venom of the roots, Lia finds herself -- and love. I loved the herbal lore in this book and the folktale f ...more
Rachel
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved, loved, loved this mystical adventure! It carried the classic fight between good and evil to epic proportions.

In this novel, Lia, along with three others, venture into the fog to reach Brume where they hope to find nature’s cure for a horrible, thorny plant that has been attacking and poisoning the people of the village she lives in, including her father. She has to use the healing knowledge passed down to her from her grandma and grandpa and trust many of the creatures that inhabit the
Michelle Isenhoff
This book is a textbook example of what I love most about the children’s genres: a strong lead, incredible fantasy world, an imaginative plot, absolutely gorgeous prose, and a lingering depth to the story that I can take away with me and mull over later. I can’t think of a single negative. I was completely captivated by this one.

Lia has a botanical gift. She knows the ancient names, ancient uses, and ancient lore for every plant. Unfortunately, the king has outlawed such practices as well as ent
Ambur
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-ebook
Arrow of the Mist has been one of those books that I've been really looking forward to! As soon as I read the description and saw the gorgeous cover...I was smitten! I can also now gladly say that it completely lived up to my expectations! It was an imaginative story full of wonderfully fantastical descriptions! I absolutely loved it, and I definitely cannot wait for the sequel, Arms of Anu, which is expected to be released this fall! :D

Along with the unique world through Arrow of the Mist, it w
Patricia Uttaro
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arrow of the Mist introduces us to Lia, daughter of Carin and Dylan, a young herbalist determined to keep the old crafts of potion mixing and magic alive. She is well-taught by her Granda, who in turn learned from Lia’s magical Grandma Myrna. Lia lives in Rockberg, a village bordered by a mysterious, fog-bound land called Brume. She tends a beautiful garden planted in a labyrinth pattern around a huge crystal rock formation. Lia and her Granda are suddenly faced with finding a cure for a terribl ...more
Lisa {Silverlight} {Paranormal/Urban Fantasy Reviews}
This epic ya fantasy was a delightful read. It has all the ingredients that I look for in a story, plus a great writing style that will quickly absorb you into this magical land.

Arrow Of The Mist, can best be described as a journey, not only a journey to find a solution to a problem, but a journey of a young heroine whom happens to be very smart and strong.

Lia, is everything I enjoy reading about. She's strong, independent, fearless, and excellent with a bow. Lia also has a fierceness to protec
SARIT
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book has lovely cover indeed and very originated this days.

Lia is a strong character with a headful and beltful of balms and cures.She is not perfect, as she has an impulsive temperament and growing sense of power, which requires effort and mastery on her part. As barbed roots breach the veil of a Brume (the magical land forbidden land)to Nemetona and poison woodsmen (also her beloved father and grandpa). She must cross the dangerous veil to Burme, from which no one came back, in order to fi
Angela Townsend
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This skillfully crafted novel contains myth, herbology, and fantasy in a fantastic story that is not just entertaining but thought provoking as well. The main character, Lia, posses a powerful wisdom when it comes to herbs, wisdom that can save those around her. Some plants have the ability to heal and others have the ability to kill. Lia races against time to save those she loves the most. I look forward to reading Christina's next book. Excellent-five stars!
Queeniejo
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, nook-books
I have to admit, the main reasons why I got this book was the cover. And the name. Arrow Of The Mist.

What can I say, archery fascinates me!

But as soon as I started reading this, I knew I would fall in love with the charactures.
And I did.
And I am pleased to say that Arrow Of The Mist is now one of my favorite books! Yay!
Carrie Enders
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arrow of the Mist is as beautiful as the cover suggests. A wonderfully inventive story with a strong heroine and plenty of myths and magic. I loved the vast array of characters, creatures, magical beings, etc that Lia meets on her journey, and the touch of romance was just perfect!

Definitely recommend Arrow of the Mist!
Rachel
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mercer has a way of taking fantasy and folklore characters to a whole new level. What you'd expect fairies might do or be changes. Lia's adventures and courage and talents are unlike anything I've ever read.
Raina {The LUV'NV}
Arrow of the Mist is one wonderful YA fantasy adventure. When barbed roots from a no-man's land poisons multiple villagers, including her father, Lia sets off with kin to enter the forbidden land to find a cure. With nothing but will, her knack for herbs and plants, and her late grandmother's Grimoire, she has to experience everything the dark land has to offer if she wants to succeed. She gains knowledge and power along the way, but by the end, she has to choose between lives and her own be ...more
AIA  Reviewers
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An original, mystical adventure
5 stars

Wow! It's easy to see when books have been created with passion and skill, and even easier to see when the craft of writing has been taken seriously by both author and editor. Arrow of the Mist is an amazing journey through not only a magical and dangerous land, perhaps just off the beaten path near your house, but it's also an exploration of the idea that nature will care for us if we care for it.

Herein, the author does everything right. Characters are viv
BookLoversLife
Lias father and a few others in her village have been struck down with a mysterious illness. They get pricked by some thorns and end up getting very sick. Her grandfather knows where the thorns come from, Brume! Its a place shrouded in fog and very few come out of there alive. Lia knows she has no choice but to venture into the unknown to save her father. She sets off with her grandfather, Wynn (her cousin)and Kelvin (her cousins friend)to find a cure but will they be on time?

I went into Arrows
a_tiffyfit
Review to come. I totally loved this.
Pattie Dupper
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hypnotizing from page 1. Christina writes a captivating tale that grabs your interest and never lets go. An absolute must if you haven't read it yet. Can't wait for Arms of Anu (Book 2).
Christianna Marks
You can read this and many other reviews on my YA book blog The White Unicorn!

Arrow of the Mist was an entertaining, quick and well thought out beginning to, what I think, will be an awesome series! Mercer has a way of working her words in a simple yet interesting way. Her pacing is wonderful and the story is action packed from beginning to end. On top of that she has worked together some really interesting characters.

I loved that this book was rooted in Celtic history, though it takes a turn i
Suzanne Rooyen
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-pubbed
4.5/5

I should preface this review by saying that I am a huge fan of epic fantasy and that anything Celtic has a particularly special place in my heart, thus I went in already loving the premise, but I had very high expectations.

About two chapters in, I went searching for the publisher because the prose was exquisite and I wanted to know who the editor was. I couldn’t believe this novel was self-published! It is without a doubt the best self-published book I have ever read.

Now more about the pros
Stephanie Ward
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

'Arrow of the Mist' is a young adult fantasy novel that follows leading lady Lia as she goes on a journey with her Granda, cousin Wynn, and family friend. They are going into the forbidden land of Brume - a harsh part of the country outside of their town's borders in order to gather valuable herbs to make a remedy for the mysterious illness that's attacking people of their village. During their journey, Lia's Granda becomes ill and it's up to Lia and Wynn to finish the important quest.
anna
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy, arc
*note: I received a copy of this book to read via Netgalley in exchange for honest feedback.

Lia, a determined girl devoted to her family and their "old ways" of life (herbal remedies, belief in magics) must set off into the dangerous and forbidden land that borders their own--Brume, a place of phantasms, and who knows what else beyond the mists, in order to find a cure for a terrible poison spread by an equally terrible and twisted invasive nettle.

The part of this book that I loved most had to
Lucinda
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairytales in dreams will never be the same again…

Spellbinding imaginative concepts and fantastical worlds will transform your dreams into reality as soon as you begin to read! Any child (or teenager) will find this magical tale hugely impressive, for as soon as you delve into this dazzling debut it unlocks a portal of wonder. In the midst of danger and deception lies an undercurrent of strength, in the form of fantastic main protagonist Lia, whose likeability instantly pulled me along her jour
Ionia
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, my compliments to the cover artist. How awesome that it wasn't another typical dragon or princess cover. Love that. Also, that colour scheme is really eye-catching.

Secondly, I really enjoyed this book. The main female character, Lia, is certainly one to contend with. Her quick wit and overall presence made this book an easy read to love. I get tired of the fantasy novels where all of the women seem to need rescuing every other minute. It was nice to see a head with some brains in
The Book Beacon
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Lia, a brave girl in search of a cure after her father is poisoned by a deadly thorn. The venomous plant is spreading quickly, killing peasants as they work in the woods. Dark magic is sending the root system far and wide, and the usual remedies don't heal the victims. Lia and three others embark on a quest to get the necessary ingredients to cure those infected. It is on this journey that Lia finds the power behind the poison plants and discovers she has magic of her own.

Ar
Kris
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Lia, a brave girl in search of a cure after her father is poisoned by a deadly thorn. The venomous plant is spreading quickly, killing peasants as they work in the woods. Dark magic is sending the root system far and wide, and the usual remedies don’t heal the victims. Lia and three others embark on a quest to get the necessary ingredients to cure those infected. It is on this journey that Lia finds the power behind the poison plants and discovers she has magic of her own.

Ar
Stephanie Parent
I loved Arrow of the Mist, and I wish I could go back in time and give it to my preteen self, because I would have loved it then even more! I was immediately attracted to this novel by the synopsis, since I’ve always been fascinated by herbal medicine and magic, and by Celtic lore. Many of my all-time favorite childhood reads had to do with these subjects, and Arrows of the Mist brought me back to the magic of books like Wise Child and Juniper by Monica Furlong, The Forestwife by Theresa Tomlins ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Shut Up & Read: [Ends 7/18] Arrod of Mist Giveaway (INT) 1 7 Jul 11, 2013 06:57AM
  • Culloo
  • Switch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu
  • The Tale of Mally Biddle
  • The Aetherfae  (Weald Fae Journals #3)
  • Edge of Truth
  • Returner's Wealth (Wyrmeweald, #1)
  • Gift
  • Secrets Kept
  • The Necromancer's Apprentice (The Necromancer's Apprentice #1)
  • Tail of the Devil  (Mathias Drvar #1)
  • Dead Letter Office
  • Surface
  • Rose (Rose, #1)
  • The Trouble With Toads (The Secret Stepsister Society, #1)
  • The Keeper's Curse (The Keeper's Curse, #1)
  • Open Gates (The P.J. Stone Gates Trilogy #3)
  • Flight (Flight #1)
  • Pendomus (Pendomus Chronicles, #1)
Christina Mercer is an award-winning author of fiction for children and young adults. Honored titles include Tween Fantasy ARROW OF THE MIST & its sequel ARMS OF ANU, and YA Paranormal Romance HONEY QUEEN. In addition, she is a once-upon-a-time CPA who offers tips on accounting and taxes for authors in her BEAN COUNTING FOR AUTHORS guidebook. Christina resides in Northern California enjoying l ...more
More about Christina Mercer

Arrow of the Mist (2 books)
  • Arms of Anu (Arrow of the Mist, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • When Gravity Fails (The Budayeen Cycle, 1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
“Fogged, bogged gates of Brume, barrier to my home; Timeless, faceless watchers loom, but I am allowed to roam.” 3 likes
“Darkness exists so that light may shine;
By its very nature, darkness gives power to light.”
0 likes