Start by marking “Sun in Glory and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #2)” as Want to Read:
Sun in Glory and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #2)

Sun in Glory and Other Tales of Valdemar

(Tales of Valdemar #2)

An all-new original short fiction anthology featuring Mercedes Lackey's heroic Heralds and their horselike companions-as penned by these masters of fantasy

Errold's Journey by Catherine S. McMullen
The Cat Who Came to Dinner by Nancy Asire
Winter Death by Michelle West
A Herald's Rescue by Mickey Zucker Reichert
In the Eye of the Beholder by Josepha Sherman
Trance To
Published December 2nd 2003 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Sun in Glory and Other Tales of Valdemar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sun in Glory and Other Tales of Valdemar

Diana
Re-read 2018

I've been re-reading some of the short stories based on the books of one of my favorite authors as a break in the more serious reading I've been doing for college classes. I've always loved the Tales of Valdemar. Mercedes Lackey gives other writers a chance to play in the world that she created and most of the stories are spot on with what I would expect from a Valdemar book. This is one of the books in the series where I loved every short story included. I especially enjoyed reading
Megan Cutler
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really liked Sun in Glory, Mercedes Lackey's contribution to the anthology. It was beautiful and filled a gap in the series that I had previously wondered about.

Unfortunately, it was also the only story in this anthology that I really enjoyed. Once again, most of these stories occupy some weird space where they don't actually seem to understand how the world they inhabit works. Many of them are either lore-breaking or so generic they could occupy any fantasy world rather than feeling like they
Mauri
Jul 17, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, valdemar, own
Anthologies, for me, always have a "hit or miss" quality, especially those containing more than six or seven stories. It's also harder to read them straight through, as the urge to skip a particularly boring contribution is strong.

Mercedes Lackey's own contribution, Sun In Glory, is a definite hit. Well put together and a satisfying step forward for any fan of Valdemar.

Sure-fire hits include: The Cat Who Came to Dinner, Rebirth, Brock, and Rosemary Edghill's Icebreaker.

The first story in the an
Stephen
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Not overly fond of short story anthologies but this one holds up well.

Most of the stories have Misty's voice down pretty well and different authors do offer different shadings that can improve the overall development of a fantasy worls such as Valdemar.

However the strongest story was Misty's own "Sun in Glory" Having read all of Misty's full length Valdemar books I've wondered where Talia's investiture story disappeared to. Now I know.
Marissa
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This is a mixed bag. It started off slow... the first couple of stories made me think I wasn't really interested in continuing. But I'm glad I did. There were several great stories in there, and I enjoyed Lackey's novella. I would recommend this to fans of Valdemar, but if you haven't tried the series, start with that first.
♥Xeni♥
I actually loved this anthology, mainly because it was my first introduction to the Karsite Firecats. They are such fascinating felines, and I wish one would find me!!

Otherwise, the other tales were much fun, although as always, ML's written ones are always the best!
Jeremy Preacher
Dec 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sun in Glory is much more even than the earlier collection - there are still some duds, most notably the opening story (good Gods, I know it's neat that a twelve-year-old wrote a fairly literate story, but that doesn't mean I want to read it,) but for the most part the quality is consistent.

The eponymous story is actually a critical part of the "modern" Valdemar story arc and well worth reading even if you skip everything else - most of the rest are decent but sort of iffy, canon-wise. (Except
Narariel
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
A nice anthology set in the world of Valdemar and its Heralds, 'Sun in Glory' has a higher percentage of stories I would re-read than the ones I'll skip in the future. There are tales with unique twists. I particularly enjoyed the story by Mercedes Lackey, set during the formation of the peace between Valdemar and Karse.
Kaye
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Unlike with other collections, I enjoyed every single one of the included stories! Some concentrated on the Companions, some on the Heralds, and some on others who came into contact with them. One of the sweetest stories told of a "Moonling" named Brock who believed he was a Herald. It concluded with the sentence that "Brock wore his whites on the inside." Would that we all would .
Carol Ward
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Technically I guess you could call it fan fiction, because of the 13 stories only one is written by Ms. Lackey but they were all really great stories, and it was interesting to see the varied points of view.
April Harrison
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved each short story. Very good work everyone
Amanda
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
I really like the final story "Sun in Glory" and wished it had been longer
Little Red Readinghood
For fans of Valdemar and those familiar with the books.
Flewts
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually like short stories. Just as I'm really getting into the story and characters... it's done. But these are stories about Valdemar, so I already quickly understand the setting and how this story fits into the overall story arc. Some give a little background on how existing characters had their start, others are new little vignettes. All but one of these stories were NOT written by Mercedes Lackey, but were edited by her so are "approved" additions to the Valdemar world.
Finn Mclellan
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A more rocky collection than the others, but the better stories outweigh the worse by a considerable amount. Also contains a tale by Mercedes Lackey herself which should delight any fan of Herald Alberich and/or Solaris.
Linda Malcor
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has the story of how Talia became a Sun Priestess. It's a bit odd for people who met her in Valdemar, but it made sense to the Karsites.
Peggy Thomson
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
The title story is pretty wonderful.
TheCosyDragon
Jul 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I originally reviewed this book on my blog - The Cosy Dragon. For more recent reviews by me, please hop over there.

Another collection of short stories set in Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar universe. There are 12 new stories, as well as a novella by Lackey. Another good collection of tales, the majority were enjoyable to read.

'Errold's Journey' by Catherine S. McMullen wasn't a great short story to start this lot off. The dialogue and style seemed awkward and I wasn't engaged at all. Too passive, too
Carol
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Mixed bag, as anthologies tend to be.

The first story was written when the author was twelve, and while that showed, a bit, it was still better than some stuff that inexplicably manages to get professionally published.
Jerreb
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
3.75 *

I typically enjoy a good collection of short stories. As always, there are going to be some stories you enjoy and hopefully a minimal amount of stories that you don't care for. In this collection, I really enjoyed most of them, the unfortunate thing was that the ones I liked the least were the first and last story in the book. I'm sure some people will really enjoy the last story, just wasn't my cup of tea.

The thing I love about the Valdemar books is all of the characters that are a part
Ryan
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a world where different authors can play within established rules, like fairy tales or Bordertown. Gentler than Bordertown, I think, and not a place (so far) where mere mortals can escape except for by reading. I like that there are tales of being selected as a Herald, but also tales of NOT being selected - of discovering one's special-ness, that your place in the world isn't what you thought or dreamed about but is as amazing once you accept it.
Rebecca
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
This collection was a little less fun than the others--more serious "fantasy" stories and fewer stories that could be set in other genres but just happen to be in a fantasy world (romances, coming of age stories, mysteries, etc.) Most of the stories were well-written, though I thought the first one sounded as if it had been written by one of our 8th graders and I'm not sure how it made the cut. The others were all by well-known authors and reflected their talents.
Beverly
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I was really impressed with this book. So many different writers, writing in the same universe, and all of them really good. During several stories my heart pounded the entire time. I rarely give above a 3-star rating to a fantasy book, but this really deserved it.
Michelle
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Gems include The Cat Who Came to Dinner, and Sun in Glory (I LOVE Firecats!).
In the Eye of the Beholder, Trance Tower, Brock, True Colors, and Icebreaker weren't bad.
Rebirth was interesting just because of the insight into where Companions come from.
Denise
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Anthologies are great to read when you only have a short time to get through the story (i.e. sitting in doctor's office waiting room). And I'm a lover of anything remotely related to Valdemar so this book was a hit!
LibraryDanielle
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
I want to like these, but they just dont have the right "flavor" and fall rather flat
Patty
Sep 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
It was great to read more of her short stories, which I sometimes feel are better than some of her full-length stories lately.
Kate
Jul 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
The first story in this collection is probably one of the worst things I've ever read, but the last story more than makes up for it.
Jes
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Fun book for fans of Mercedes Lackey and the Companion/Herald saga. I really enjoyed it.
Jen Yonit
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Quality varies wildly between stories.

• The Valdemar Companion
  • Sword and Sorceress XVI
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2)
  • Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail, #3)
  • Elvendude (SERRAted Edge #6)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &am ...more

Tales of Valdemar (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Sword of Ice and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #1)
  • Crossroads and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #3)
  • Moving Targets and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #4)
  • Changing the World: All-New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #5)
  • Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #6)
  • Under the Vale and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #7)
  • No True Way: All New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #8)
  • Crucible: All-New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #9)
  • Tempest: All-New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #10)
  • Pathways (Tales of Valdemar #11)