Start by marking “The Captive Maiden (Hagenheim, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Captive Maiden (Hagenheim, #4)

The Captive Maiden

(Hagenheim #4)

Happily Ever After...Or Happily Nevermore?

Gisela's childhood was filled with laughter and visits from nobles such as the duke and his young son. But since her father's death, each day has been filled with nothing but servitude to her stepmother. So when Gisela meets the duke's son, Valten--the boy she has daydreamed about for years--and learns he is throwing a ball, she
Published November 23rd 2013 by Zondervan (first published October 22nd 2013)

Kayla
UPDATED REVIEW!
Can't wait for this book!!!!!!! I don't wanna wait! I hate waiting.....

NOVEMBER???? Nooooooooo whhhhyyyyyy??? I NEED TO READ THIS ASAP!!!

EDIT: NOVEMBER 5, 2013
so this is pretty much what happened this year....
When I found out about the new book

description
But the date got pushed! So I was like...

but...it's November! Whoo!!!
image:

Official Review...

Ever since The Healer's Apprentice
I fell in love with the characters... And I love how Melanie Dickerson gives us the chance to see how the cha
Gisela’s mother died before her little daughter could remember much about her; her father passed away when she was eight. By that time the father had remarried, and his widow, Evfemia, began to abuse Gisela, demoting her to servant status in the house that was her rightful inheritance. They lived outside the city of Hagenheim, and after the death of Gisela’s father, they got no visitors.

The only visitor Gisela remembers well is Valten, the son of the Duke of Hagenheim who came to the house once
Ami
Jul 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
I found this book extremely disappointing. I'm usually a pretty big fan of fairy tale retellings, but between this book and the ones I've read recently by Alex Flinn, I've been feeling kinda let down.

First of all, the book had a pretty slow start. Also, the writing was very annoying. It was almost overly simplistic, and it made the main characters sound like children, rather than the 17- and 24-year-olds they were supposed to be. Young adults aren't stupid; they'll understand some more complex s
Shantelle
An adorable story! I simply can't get over Melanie Dickerson's books! She has such lovely, charming characters. And unforgettable adventures. And noble lessons. And victorious, fairy tale endings! ^_^

If you like stories of feminine, endearing damsels in distress and handsome, brave, warrior-like knights, you will love Melanie Dickerson's HAGENHEIM series. Her female characters are not simpering fools, but they are sweet and lovely and always the alluring princess who allows the courageous knight
Katie Clark
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK! I fell in love with Valten, and by the end of the book I wanted to marry him myself :). Melanie Dickerson has done a fantastic job with this Cinderella retelling. I love how the story is its own, and yet she manages to weave in the familiar fairy tale bits. I also love Friar Daniel. Highly recommend it!
Elevetha
*SWEET BABY BACK RIBS MY COMPUTER BLUE-SCREENED AND I THOUGHT I'D LOST THIS BUT A MIRACLE OCCURRED*

QUOTE GAME!!!!

"So she already knew he thought she was beautiful. He didn't need to tell her that again, did he? What other compliments were there? She was beautiful. What else could he say?"

"Ava pulled the dress over Gisela's head, tugging at the bodice until it was straight and fluffing the material down over her hips."

What about stays? Laces? This sounds way too much like a modern dress. And
Anne
Howdy, folks! I feel like I haven't written a review in ages! Ah, this thing called Real Life! Obligations! Responsibilities! Eh!

But today, I want to take a few minutes out of this quiet Sunday afternoon and chat with you all about Melanie Dickerson's The Captive Maiden. So, without further ado, ah, uh....ummm....well, you know...

Cinderella! Right, Cinderella!

No, no, I mean Gisela! Gisela is her name!

And uh, she has a Prince! A very charming Prince!

Well, Valten is actually a knight and not a Pri
Elaina
Another 4.5 star read!! :)
Oksana  *Bookaholic*
Review to come
EDIT ^

OMG!!!! Melanie Dickerson is coming out with another book?!?!? I. Need. This!!!!!!!
Elizabeth Dragina
*Jumps up and down*

Oh my goodness, best book ever!! *Squeals Definitely my favorite! How can this series keep getting better and better!? I finished this book in one day! It was soooooo amazing! Can I dream for a minute? ------- Melanie Dickerson is definitely my favorite author!! Who agrees!?
Lisa Godfrees
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love fairy-tale retellings. Especially ones written by Melanie Dickerson because she does such a great job with them. She has a knack of putting them in a setting where the story is so believable, yet stays true to the tales we grew up loving.

The Captive Maiden is based on Cinderella but with a few new twists. It's set in Germany in the early 1400's (same setting as The Fairest Beauty, and The Healer's Apprentice). There's an evil villain in addition to the horrible step-mother and
Lovingkiwi
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Eeeeeekkkk!!! I'm beside myself with joy!! I love Dickerson's books. And oh my goodness, the cover is gorgeous!! Don't you just love all the covers on her books? Oh, I can't wait!
Julie Carpenter
A fun medieval retelling of Cinderella. I really enjoyed the twists that the author gave to the story to make it her own.

It was fun to see characters from previous books in this Hagenheim series. Lots of danger and peril for Gisela but her "prince" Valten was always there to protect her. Sweet love story. If any of you have read and enjoyed Marcia Lynn McClure's book A Crimson Frost, then you'll sure enjoy this one. I loved the tournament aspects in here, which definitely showed Valten's amazing
Victoria Goodbrand
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. I have listened to it around 3-4 times and read once I think. This is the BEST Melanie Dickerson book I have ever read! *happy sigh*
The era, the characters, the fairytale, the sweet romance, the jousting tournaments, his sisters. Sigh. I just love this one so so so much.

UPDATE:
Still as golden as ever. *sigh*
Renee
I'm rating the books by authors my students love. I keep these books in my classroom library & each year new young readers discover them. Melanie Dickerson is one of my students' favorite authors. I'm so glad she's prolific! (I teach literature in a small Christian high school.)
Jaye Knight
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Captive Maiden is the fourth book of Melanie Dickerson’s fairytale retellings, which I have enjoyed immensely. I particularly loved how three of the four books, including this one, followed members of the same family. It was good to read Valten’s story. As much as I loved Gabe in The Fairest Beauty, I had to feel bad for poor Valten when he lost Sophie. This story totally made up for it.

I thought Valten and Gisela had a very cute love story. I really liked how real Valten seemed, especially
Haley S
As soon as I picked the book up, I could not put it down. I fell in love with it immediately. It took me only a few hours to finish it. The whole plot was amazing!
As I read, I felt like I knew the characters. When their feelings were shown, I felt like they were speaking to me.
This book is definitely my favorite out of any Melanie Dickerson's books.
A MUST READ FOR EVERYONE!!

Official Review:
t took me quite a while to officially decide what my favorite book by Melanie Dickerson was. But, now I
Bekah Ward
Jul 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: historic-fiction
Where do I even start? I honestly have so little to say. I just -

1) The writing: I am not 9. I understand big words. I would have had no problem understanding this book at 9 (but I don't think 9 year olds should read it).

2) The characters: You know people didn't bathe in the 1400's, right? They didn't, on the whole, smell good. There was lots of unrealistic for the 1400's stuff. Also, the adults all acted like children.

3) The messages: Women need rescuing, and a man to complete them right (es
Abigail
Guys, this is one of my favorites by Melanie Dickerson and I finished it in one day!! I jusyove this book so much!! It is amazing!!! Read it please!!!! You won't be sorry!
Lisa Elis
This is a simple and pretty sweet retelling of Cinderella. It is the first Melanie Dickerson book I have read, and here I'll give my opinion in list form:

What I liked:
- The medieval setting. It included the knights, and dukes, and castles, and friars, and tournament, and horses, and sword fighting, and so on.
- It reminded me of Ivanhoe. The tournament, the Queen of Beauty and Love, and the fact that Reuxner wanted (view spoiler) reminded me very much
Jen
I think I read too many of this author’s books in a row, because I just can’t get myself to pick this one up again and I only made it about 50 pages in. I’m going to give up on this one and maybe when I’m feeling it, pick up the next one in the series.

I’m just tired of the good guys being practically angelic, the female MC becoming/being weak and in need of rescue and the bad guys being bad without any reason other than “we need a bad guy and readers can’t handle a sympathetic bad guy or a bad
Rissa
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Its the story we know and love but better!
Bethany
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I heard that Melanie Dickerson was writing a novel based on the classic fairy tale Cinderella, I knew I really, really wanted to read it. I love Cinderella, and I love Melanie Dickerson's novels even more, so the two combined make a sparly fairy tale treat that didn't disappoint! Needless to say, I was pretty pumped about this book! And after reading it, I can say that this book completely reached my highest expectations! This novel is for sure a read that any princess-lover shouldn't ...more
Stacey
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed The Captive Maiden and could see the resemblance between this book and Cinderella. It was a fun fast read. The dialogue was very genteel, exactly what you would expect from that time period and easy to follow. I love the story line between Gisela and Valten. I have anxiously awaited their story since the end of The Fairest Beauty. I hope Melanie has another book about this fascinating family! I highly recommend this read.
Alicia
Definitely my favourite of the Hagenheim books so far. The author took the basics of a classic fairytale and reimagined it to create an exciting and romantic new story, complete with a handsome prince. I found Gisela and Valten to be the most real and likeable main characters of the Dickerson books I've read. Loved it!
Teresa Mathews
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars*****

If you love being taken back to the medieval era of handsome knights that roamed the country side looking for damsels in distress to rescue, do I have a book for you! Melanie Dickerson once again wants to take you on a journey to a beautiful land far, far away where she brings to life for you the story of Gisela.

Beautiful eight year old Gisela was left in the care of her wicked step-mother, Evfemia, when her father died. She has had to endure many horrible things in the ten years sin
Diana
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Masterful storyteller, Melanie Dickerson, has crafted another magical, enchanting novel that sweeps the reader away on a journey into the whimsical land of knights, castles, lovely maidens, and wicked stepsisters!

Since her father's death, the lovely maiden, Gisela, dreams of happier childhood memories when the Duke used to visit with his handsome son, Valten. Now she is forced to live in servitude to her wicked stepmother and stepsisters, daydreaming of the young knight in Hagenheim Castle. Her
Beth
I enjoyed this one, but admit it’s not my favorite by this author. I think the stories have become a bit formulaic for me, which is fine, but maybe I’m just looking for a little something different. For example, in this story, Gisela is a servant for her stepmother and step-sisters (per the Cinderella story), however, the author also used this device in The Fairest Beauty, which I enjoyed more of the two due to the unique characters. A bit of a twist would have been welcome.

I really liked Gisela
Jamie
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Much like Marissa Meyer does a fabulous job with fairy tales set in futuristic/sci-fi times in The Lunar Chronicles, Melanie Dickerson brings to life classic fairy tales with the same intrigue, twists and captivating writing. Only her backdrop? Centuries past. And you know how I feel about all things historical!

You’ll find her latest (releasing next month on November 19th!), The Captive Maiden, has a very Cinderella vibe, but with a touch of Ivanhoe and twists of her own.

I thought it was such a
Fari
Feb 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
I read up to like... page 30-ish but I couldn't, I'm sorry, Gabrielle! Perhaps you should read The Summer After You and Me, after all! XD

Even in the first five pages, I skimmed some stuff or skipped paragraphs at a time and the writing didn't really sit too well with me. It's supposed to take place in teh early 1400s but I didn't get that feel at all! The atmosphere and vocab failed at the work.

There was insta-love. I can't even... Like, please stop.

SHHHHAAAALLLLOOOOWWW characters! "Oh, her hai

• Snow White (Faerie Tale Collection, #7)
  • Elusive Hope (Escape to Paradise, #2)
  • Stealing the Preacher (Archer Brothers, #2)
  • A Talent for Trouble (Ladies of Distinction, #3)
  • Rebellious Heart
  • A Duke's Promise (Forgotten Castles #3)
  • The Remedy (Eyes of E'veria, #2)
  • Grave Consequences (Grand Tour, #2)
  • Into the Whirlwind
  • Missing Lily (Books of Dalthia #2)
  • The Redeeming (Age of Faith #3)
Melanie Dickerson is a New York Times bestselling author, a two-time Christy Award finalist, two-time Maggie Award winner, Carol Award winner, two-time winner of the Christian Retailing's Best award, and her book, The Healer's Apprentice, won the National Readers Choice Award for Best First Book. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and Romance Writers of America (RWA). Mel ...more

Hagenheim (10 books)
  • The Healer's Apprentice (Hagenheim, #1)
  • The Merchant's Daughter (Hagenheim, #2)
  • The Fairest Beauty (Hagenheim, #3)
  • The Princess Spy (Hagenheim, #5)
  • The Golden Braid (Hagenheim, #6)
  • The Silent Songbird (Hagenheim, #7)
  • The Orphan's Wish (Hagenheim, #8)
  • The Warrior Maiden (Hagenheim, #9)
  • The Piper's Pursuit (Hagenheim #10)
“God wants us all to strive to grow more like Jesus, to become holy as he is holy, but God has a specific purpose for each person. How could it not be so? Everyone in a village cannot be a baker, because who would then make the candles or shoe the horses or grow the food? God says we are like a body. . . . Just as the villagers are part of a village and have different tasks, we all have tasks to do for the Lord God.” 42 likes
“You tried to kill me with your dagger,” Valten said calmly. “I can get you disqualified from this tournament.” “Are you threatening me?” “Yes.” 19 likes