Start by marking “Introducing Foucault” as Want to Read:
Introducing Foucault

Introducing Foucault (Graphic Guides)

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  458 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Michel Foucault's work was described at his death as "the most important event of thought in our century." As a philosopher, historian, and political activist he most certainly left behind an enduring and influential body of work, but is this acclaim justified? Introducing Foucault places Foucault's work in its turbulent philosophical and political context, and critically ...more
Published 1997 by Totem Books

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Foucault, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Foucault

Amr Mohamed
الترجمة من اسوء ما يكون هي وطريقة عرض افكار فوكو وتاريخه
ده لو بيتكلم عن افكار توفيق عكاشة مكنش قالها بالطريقة ده
الواحد كان عارف معلومتين عن فوكو نسيهم الحمد الله بعض قراءة جزء بس من الكتاب
Lit Bug
New Review after re-read

This is a preliminary, superficial guide to Foucault, intended for those who are new to him and may not have the patience to drag through his dense theories. Covering his biography in brief with emphasis on turning points in his life, its effects on his formulation of theories and his spats with other theorists, the book provides a short overlook of his life.

The illustrations are often funny, eye-catching - but mostly , the entire book fails for me - the purpose of a grap
Jasmine
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: french
I am rating myself 2 stars not this book. Hear me: I FAILED THIS BOOK THIS BOOK DID NOT FAIL ME.

in reality a long long time ago: I FAILED FOUCAULT HE DID NOT FAIL ME

and back in those days when I was failing foucault I assume I bought this to cease my failure, and well it didn't work I read this and I still have no idea what the fuck he's on about.

back in college I read a lot of philosophers, that is how you go about getting a philosophy degree, and some things (e.g the economic and philosophic
Mon
Mar 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Adequate material for bullshitting in theory discussion for a passing grade, just make sure you're not arguing against a Marxist and or feminist. The book is also surprisingly dismissive of Foucault in comparison to the rest of the Introduction series (*cough* Nietzsche). To be fair, as an architect, Foucault at least brought the concept of discourse in the realm of art and architecture after it got screwed up by Le Corbusier and the bunch of Modernists. Your choice of philosophers to quote (as ...more
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Very good introduction to this very complex thinker.
Danger Kallisti
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who think philosophy is too boring or too obtuse to be fun -OR- hardcore philosophy dorks.
An odd little punk rock collage-comic of a philosophy book:

This was an accidental find for me. I was looking up some "serious" philosophy for a discussion with a friend, and the bright colors and goofy cover struck me as... unusual, to say the least.
In the long run, it was definitely worth my time; in the way of truly intelligent things, it managed to be a lot more informative and complex than I initially expected. Not only did it give a clear and concise overview of Foucault, but it referred t
Ali
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good -- at the end.

The book was a little hard to follow in terms of all the theories it reviewed (it might be better to read the source documents to understand those), but it definitely gave a good sense of who Foucault was as a person. The "graphics" didn't add to much to the text (how do you illustrate complex philosophical ideas in pictures?), but made the subject much less dry. Plus, there were even a few textbook-y jokes in here! (I like those.)

The final chapter of this book is
arafat
May 07, 2007 rated it it was ok
This was my toilet reading for about a month: I read it only when I was in the toilet. Like most of the "Introducing..." series, the book leaves you with more questions than answers. Which isn't so bad, really, coz then you have more of an incentive to pick up the primary texts themselves. And it's sometimes helpful to get a more casual intro before taking up a difficult author. I learned a few facts about Foucault that I did't know about before. Also, I enjoyed the humor in a few of the drawing ...more
Karim Bazan
Mar 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
الترجمة في غاية السوء كما ان طريقة عرض المعلومات المبعثرة هنا و هناك اخلت بكثير من فكرة الكتاب الرئيسية الا وهي التعريف بفوكو و اهم افكاره
لا ينصح بقراءته ،فهو مضيعة للوقت دون التحصّل على شيء مرتب و ذا فائدة تستحق ّ
Jeff D.
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sometimes convoluted and difficult to follow but I ended up feeling like I had a working understanding of Foucault.
Hestia Istiviani
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I read Indonesian version and this review is written in Indonesian

Sudah pernah membaca buku sebentar namun terputus karena tergoda oleh buku yang lain. Pada akhirnya kembali membaca dari awal dan berhasil menghabiskannya karena penasaran dengan pemikiran-pemikiran Foucault akibat aku merasa tidak puas denga jawaban ujian yang aku berikan menyangkut teori Foucault. Tidak disangka, aku malah mampu menyelesaikan membaca kurang dari sehari!

Gaya Bahasa dan Kosa Kata
Seperti buku teks. Seperti buku teo
Corbin
Oct 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
I am normally quite a fan of the Introducing... series, but this is the worst one I have read. It relied on previous familiarity with some of the thinker's work, vocabulary, and sometimes even biography. Too often it referred to Foucault's context without actually explaining it. And usually the illustrations are helpful, but I found only about half of the pages' drawings to add to the presentation. You will learn some things about Foucault and his work, but this better serves as a refresher than ...more
Hamêd
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
به عنوان مقدمه ای بر آراء ميشل فوکو و همچنین آگاهی از سیر زندگی او، تقریباً کتاب خوبی است. هرچند با این کتاب نمی توان عقاید او را به درستی درک کرد و فقط انگیزه ای ایجاد می کند برای خواندن سایر کتاب هایش و یا کتاب های سایرین درباره ی او.

از متن کتاب:

اگر فوکو بر این عقیده باشد که حقیقت و خرد صرفاً معلول قدرت اند، و هیچ پایه و اساسی در کار نیست - و آنچه هست گفتمان، دستگاه، نهادها و...است- بازنده میدان خود او خواهد بود، چراکه او می خواهد نظریاتش به عنوان نظریاتی حقیقی مورد پذیرش واقع شوند. چگونه می
Salma
Aug 17, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
لم تعجبني الترجمة
Christopher Roberts
I was looking for a short introductory text on Foucault before I dived into the debate between him and Noam Chomsky, so I settled for this when I couldn't find anything better. Its an okay primer, but the last few pages are surprisingly negative and dismissive of Foucault's influence.
Joseph Stieb
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
I don't think I understood anything but the very basics of this stuff. The problem is that I'm not sure it really makes sense or that it's useful in any way. The vocabulary of this discipline (I'm not even sure what discipline Foucault belongs to) is so obscure and esoteric that I can barely understand the basic terms. For instance, Foucault uses "Minimum Quantity" to mean that the punishment must outweigh the advantages of a crime and "sufficient ideality" to mean that the possibility of punish ...more
Nick
Jul 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
The worst book I've read in this series - frustratingly vague and gnomic. In a short introductory book for newbies, you really need to make sure every sentence has clarity and purpose. Instead it was frustratingly difficult to work out what Horrocks meant at times. I also feel the book would have worked better if it had focused on a few key ideas and explained them clearly rather than whizzing through his books chronologically. Not sure the illustrations add much either.

I came away from the 'Int
Sagely
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not impressed. I had great hopes for the Introducing Foucault: A Graphic Guide, but it didn't live up to them.

I'm trying to understand Foucault as part of my effort to find a better way of talking about sexuality in the church. Foucault is a lot more than sexuality. But that more is also helpful. Talking about power, control, discourse, etc., is all very relevant to the way churches talk about LGBT sexuality. What I need is handles to access Foucault's thought.

IFGG doesn't provide those handles.
Anna
Jul 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, theory
I read ‘Introducing Foucault’ for two reasons, one wholly superficial. Firstly, because I enjoyed ‘Society Must Be Defended’ and wanted to get an overview of Foucault’s life and other work. Secondly, because I liked the book's cover. I found it a very quick read, as it’s quite short and the text is broken up with lots of illustrative cartoons. I’m not sure how much the cartoons added to the philosophical explanations, although I was amused that Foucault looked uncannily like Spider Jerusalem. I ...more
Jonathan
For me, did what it needed to do - gave me an idea of what Foucault was trying to say. I started working on one of his books and realized that I needed some sort of explanation ahead of time about where he was coming from. I agree strongly with a previous reviewer that the contempt the author shows towards Foucault, however, makes this a less-than-ideal introduction - as would one by someone showering him with praise. This thing is practically slanderous towards him personally with the implicati ...more
Dafydd
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: philosophy
Not quite as unreadable as Horrock's Introducing Baudrillard, but by no means is this the sort of accessible and introductory book that something with a title of "Introducing...." should be. Like the author's book on Baudrillard, the only worthwhile parts were those on the subject himself; Horrock failed to "introduce" Foucault's ideas in a way that makes any sense to someone who hasn't read Foucault. (With Baudrillard, I actually had read that author, and still found Horrock's book to be incomp ...more
Dania Abutaha
كتاب جدا سيء...ترجمه غير مفهومه...عدا عن الصور الكاريكاتوريه لوصف فوكو و التى تميز الكتاب...لم اخرج بوصف عن افكاره و ليس هو المدخل لافكاره نهائيا...و بعد قراءه ريفييوز اجد ان البعض من القراء لهم نفس الفكره عن الكتاب مترجم ام لا...سىء...المفاجىء ان مكتبه وطنيه بها نسخ كثيره جدا من هذا الكتاب الغير مفهوم...هل بسبب ان الموضوع هو انه للمبتدئين...احتاج لبدايه جديده اقل ايلاما....ترجمه غاندي المهتار!!!!
Matt
Nov 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Meh.

Interesting approach with the cartoons and graphic-novel storytelling style, but I feel like a lot of the real ideas were watered-down and glossed over, rather than using the medium to its advantage. Maybe it's just the abstract and near-impenetrable material itself that's the problem, rather than the book and its methods of conveying the material.
Sean Chick
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Horrocks is not off in his analysis, criticisms, and synopsis of Foucault's work, but he fails to connect the dots and goes for too many asides. That might be inevitable when dealing with such a mercurial thinker as Foucault. I certainly came away thinking the man did more harm than good to the left by attacking the basis of the left: the Enlightenment.
Jacco..
Now Foucault is tough; it's like teaching yourself to think again.
(yeah, paradigm stuff, philosphy-style)

Luckily, this one takes you slowly, and strikes a good balance between depth and scope.
As the rest of the series does.

Recommended as an introduction!

Oh, and if someone lost his Republic of Buriatia stamps? I found them inside my copy...
Rachel
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Still unsure of what Foucault's thoughts on philosophy actually are. I think this book is only a beginning and a lot more in depth research is needed to flesh out his philosophy's but still making it coherent for the beginners out there. The book did throw up some interesting ideas but like I said before I'm gonna have to do a bit more research.
John
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have no idea whether I learnt from this book what Foucault was trying to say, but I don't care either, I like the observation that knowledge evolves through discourse rather than as a reflection of objective reality. That explains why politics, medicine, economics, education and the justice system are such crap.
Lewis Williams
I enjoyed this, as it combined two things I really enjoy, philosophy and graphic storytelling. It's definitely not for everyone, as I was somewhat familiar with the object of this work and still felt bogged down. I don't think it really introduced the work in the clearest light, but it is a complicated body of work.
Andrea
This does offer a kind of biography and explanation of Foucault's ideas over his life, but the scorn shown by the authors for the subject, or I guess I should say object, make it a less than ideal introduction. It did, however, give me more context some of Foucault's ideas that I'm encountering in my Gender Studies course.
  • Barthes for Beginners
  • Introducing Postmodernism
  • Introducing Jung
  • Introducing Cultural Studies
  • Introducing Logic

Graphic Guides (1 - 10 of 105 books)
  • Darwin for Beginners