Start by marking “Strange Fates (Nyx Fortuna, #1)” as Want to Read:
Strange Fates (Nyx Fortuna, #1)

Strange Fates

(Nyx Fortuna #1)

3.18  ·  Rating details ·  211 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
The first in a line of three exciting new urban fantasy novels blending elements of Greek myth and forbidden romance against the backdrop of Minnesota's magical underworld.

Brooding, leather jacket-wearing Nyx Fortuna looks like a 20-something, and has for centuries now. As the son of the forgotten fourth Fate, Lady Fortuna, he has been hunted his entire life by the three
Published March 19th 2013 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Strange Fates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Fates

Experiment BL626
I wanted to like this book because of the premise, revenge. I love me some revenge stories, but unfortunately this one, Strange Fates, book 1 of the Nyx Fortuna series, was blah. It was not bad, but it was not really good, it was somewhere in between, and thus the blah.

+ Nyx, the hero
The story was told in exclusive first person POV from his side. I liked his voice. I liked his easy-going personality. I liked his resilience. What I did not like were the inconsistencies in his character developme
AH
Wow! What a fun read! Strange Fates by Marlene Perez is kind of like a Percy Jackson style series geared for adults. Strange Fates follows Nyx Fortuna who has the unfortunate situation of being the son of one of The Fates. The thing is, The Fates do not have sons, and there’s that little prophecy that foresees the demise of The Fates by a male descendant.

This is urban fantasy based on Greek mythology. Strange Fates includes a who’s who list of the paranormal creature world: naiads, demons, nec
Jaime
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Marlene Perez’s Dead Is series, and I was looking forward to this one. It’s supposed to be an adult Urban Fantasy series, but this reads like YA.

Nyx’s aging clock stopped when he turned 20, and it seems like his maturity did as well. For a man who has lived for over 200 years and has spent that entire time fighting for his life, why he is so naive is beyond me.
He really is the son of luck, because the ruses he fell for were so simple he should have seen them coming from a mile away
April Steenburgh
Nyx Fortuna is the son of Lady Fortuna, the only son of the House of Wyrd. His Aunts, the Fates murdered his mother and have been hunting him ever since. Before she died, Fortuna hid Nyx’s thread of Fate, leaving him out of the reach of his Aunt’s gold scissors. Immortal, and long since grown underwhelmed with his condition, Nyx has traveled to Minneapolis to confront his Aunts and settle the score.

He did not intend on meeting a girl in a bar, or getting stabbed by her (current) boyfriend. He ha
Amy A
Feb 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

As one of those dorky kids who loved Greek mythology, the premise of the Fates mixed with the descendants of Greek Gods existing in the modern day Midwestern US is right up my alley. STRANGE FATES didn’t turn out quite like I was expecting, and I did have a few issues, but it was a light fun read with an original premise.

While I loved the world building and mythological aspects, there were some things that detracted from my enjoyment. My biggest complai
Fangs for the Fantasy
Nyx is the only son of the fourth fatem Lady Fortuna. Unable to die and filled with rage, Nyx has decided to track down his mothers murderers, who happen to be his aunts - the three Fates. For much of his life, his aunts have tried to kill him and now, Nyx is not only tired of immortality, he is tired of running.

After learning that his aunts have setup a business in Minneapolis, Nyx travels there but his mission to finally avenge his mother and die peacefully, are quickly sidelined when he meets
Christine Butler
usagi ☆ミ
1.5/5 stars.

Oh you guys, this one had so much potential, but it was so very disappointing in so many ways. I had such high hopes for "Strange Fates" - it sounded like one of the more original takes on Greek mythology, but very early, things came crashing down, and not in a good way. Maybe it was the fact that I feel that this needed at least two more drafts before even making it to the ARC stage of things, but I just can't recommend "Strange Fates".

I think my largest problem with this book was t
Liviania
STRANGE FATES is the first book in a new adult urban fantasy trilogy to be followed by DARK DESCENT (later this year) and FORTUNE'S FAVOR (early 2014). I love reading about the Fates, I've heard fantastic things about Marlene Perez's young adult books, and I was excited by a trilogy that would be published within the year instead of stretched out over three years. Plus, the ebook was at a bargain price. Unfortunately STRANGE FATES was not everything I'd hoped for.

It wasn't all bad. The world Per
Sam
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I picked up Strange Fates I really liked the premise. The son of the lost Fate, Luck, who had been killed by her sisters, is out for revenge. Plus, the Fates are not the only magical houses in town, there’s Hades, Poseidon, and Zeus. It seemed like there would be magic, action, and a cool plot. And a lot of that did happen.

I thought Nyx’s story was cool, that he was an immortal who wanted to die but couldn’t (side note: if you’re looking for a really good book that has done that story line
Julie
I really wanted to like this book! I was exciting to read this one after reading the summary and there was mention of Greek mythology. I did actually like the premise… The descendants of the gods are still alive, have magical powers and fight amongst each other; the gods themselves have faded away. These descendants all belong to certain houses and have to carry a symbol that represents which house they belong to. Nyx, the mc, is out for revenge… goes back to Minnesota to kill the people respons ...more
a_tiffyfit
Meghan Hull
I really wanted to like this book. The concept was interesting, and the plot outline was good. The world is fascinating, and I like how Fortuna is a focal point. In my opinion, the premise can be a nifty, plausible way to explain deus ex machina plot moments; you would expect crazy coincidences to occur around the only child of Lady Luck.

However, the book felt like it was still just an outline. The closest thing I can liken it to is the Cliff's Notes version of Hamlet: you get the major themes a
Alexandria Thompson
I received this book for an honest review from the publishers and I'll do just that, by stating that while the premise of the book interested me; the constant repeating of the same information became annoying and being forced to re-read several lines of the same stated fact was tedious to say the least. Nyx is an interesting character from the start, but his lack of maturity is surprising for someone his age. I wondered several times if his mind stopped developing the same time his body stopped ...more
Mary
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Nyx Fortuna is the son of one of the original four fates - Lady Fortuna. She was killed by her sisters and now they are after Nyx. Can he get revenge before they get to him?

Strange Fates got my attention as a paranormal (sort-of) romance with a male MC. Nyx didn't let me down. It was fun to hear the story from his point of view. His hatred towards his aunts and the need for revenge came through loud and clear. I loved that his perspective was challenged once he started meeting members of his fa
Jessie Potts
3.5 Stars

What it's about: Nyx is a hot immortal who is also the fourth Fate. He's also being hunted by the three Sisters of Fate (his aunt). His immortality so far is because he's trapped in this thread of fate causing him to be an immortal 20-year-old. He then meets a mortal woman who changes EVERYTHING.

Why you should read it: This falls in the New Adult genre to me because Nyx doesn't always feel like an older hero. Sometimes he's impetuous and acts like he's 20. The action is high, though, ev
I enjoyed STRANGE FATES. It took a little while to get into, but the inclusion of Greek myths in contemporary urban fantasy is a good mix. This book reminded me a little of Kelly McCullough's Webmage series. I felt sometimes the magic system wasn't explained well enough, but there's more to this story, so maybe we'll find out more later. The story ramps up as it goes along, and there are plenty of betrayals and back-stabbings. I like the bad-boy character of Nyx, and I look forward to hearing mo ...more
Nyjb Reviews
“Minneapolis certainly isn’t a place one associates with magic. Perhaps it has something to do with the water.”

Nyx Fortuna has been on the run forever . . . literally. He’s lucky to be alive, but what can one expect since he’s the son of Lady Luck herself?

As the only . . .

Click for full book review of Strange Fates by Marlene Perez in New York Journal of Books
Stacia
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Nyx Fortuna is a hottie. I've been a fan of Marlene's younger reads for a long time and was thrilled when she wrote this more mature, deeper and worldly novel. I was not disappointed. Nyx is an intriguing character from the moment he steps on the page. I devoured the book in one really, really long sitting and lost myself completely in his universe.

Marlene Perez is a master at creating a believable world and amazing characters. I can't wait to read what happens next.
Emily Cheng
Feb 14, 2013 marked it as to-read
I think they should come out with a Paperback edition, cause honestly, I would buy this book just so I could display it on my bookshelf. I mean, the cover is AMAZING. So yeah, while I may buy the book(if they come out with a physical copy with the same cover) just for the cover, the story also sounds interesting. It caught my attention when it said that there is Greek mythology mixed in.

*EDIT* YES! Paperback versions were made! Time to buy the book and display it on my shelf now...
Linda
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, paranormal, myth
First in a new series, with an interesting spin on mythology. Nyx Fortuna is the son of Lady Fortuna, the fourth -- and forgotten -- Fate; and now he's tracking down the Fates who murdered his mother. There's spicy love (Nyx and a mortal named Elizabeth) and intrigue, and it made me want to brush up on the Fates of Greek myths. Perez is the author of a YA series I love (Dead Is …); this one is for adults, but I see a lot of teen appeal here, too.
Saruuh Kelsey
I probably shouldn't have added this to my tbr shelf based solely on the fact that the cover model looks like Hook from Once Upon A Time. :|
Kim Baccellia
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced romp through Minneapolis with a son of Fate out for revenge. Add Greek mythological creatures, a hawt protagonist, romance, mystery, and betrayal for one amazing ride.
Ƥʋиʏα [Punya Reviews...]
Not really my type of book but that cover... wow I can't get past that guy's eyes (lemme lick you babe! *heehee*). Never mind, I'm just silly like that. :p
Rhody Downey
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fast, exciting read - highly recommended!!
Kenya Wright
I was so bored I had to DNA it at thirty percent.
Michelle Dabrowski
Jun 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
I applaud anyone who managed to finish this book; I couldn't make it through 3 chapters. As a Minnesotan I wanted to love this book. It's so fun when places I've been show up in stories. The writing is AWFUL! I can't recall the last time I've endured this much passive voice. If you do a word count for "was" or "were" on this book I bet it runs at least 10 times higher than the average novel.

If you want a good mix of old legends in current times I recommend the Iron Druid series.
Dead Gravity
DNF at 40%

Wasn't feeling the insta-love on this one. Nyx addresses it as "insta-lust" but all too suddenly, he feels this utmost desire to protect the girl who happens to look like his ex, is super rich, and somehow has a missing brother that's involved with Nyx's problems with his aunt. Just wasn't convinced enough.
Dragana
Nyx Fortuna comes to Minneapolis to avenge his mother's death and find his thread of fate. Why does he need it? Because until that thread is cut, he is immortal. And in Nyx's opinion immortality is not such a great thing. You live while all the people you care for die around you.
"Someone I love always dies, eventually, and I'm alone again."
Nyx's solution to the problem is to not love anyone and to act like you do not care. I understood Nyx, hell, I even thought it was pretty realistic - that he
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Reluctant Reaper  (The Reluctant Reaper, #1)
  • Club Monstrosity (Monstrosity, #1)
  • Death Rejoices (The Marnie Baranuik Files #2)
  • Jinn and Juice (The Jinni, #1)
  • One-Eyed Jack (Promethean Age, #5)
  • The Younger Gods (Younger Gods, #1)
  • Liesmith (The Wyrd, #1)
  • Daughter of the Sword (Fated Blades, #1)
  • The Conquering Dark (Crown & Key, #3)
  • Tin Swift (Age of Steam, #2)
  • Four Summoner's Tales
  • Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2)
  • This Case Is Gonna Kill Me (Linnet Ellery #1)
  • Pushing Luck (Pax Arcana #0.03)
  • Dragon Awakened (The Hidden, #1)
  • Mercy, A Gargoyle Story
  • Blood Riders
  • When Darkness Hungers (The Shadow Keepers, #5)
Author of the paranormal teen mystery Dead Is series and the adult urban fantasy Nyx Fortuna series. My new young adult novel Forward Into Darkness releases on April 25, 2017.

Nyx Fortuna series
Strange Fates
Dark Descent
Fortune's Favor

DEAD IS series is as follows:

DEAD IS THE NEW BLACK
DEAD IS A STATE OF MIND
DEAD IS SO LAST YEAR
DEAD IS JUST A RUMOR (AUG, 2010)
DEAD IS NOT AN OPTION (Spring, 2011)
DEAD I

Nyx Fortuna (3 books)
  • Dark Descent (Nyx Fortuna, #2)
  • Fortune's Favors (Nyx Fortuna, #3)