Start by marking “The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)

The Raven Boys

(The Raven Cycle #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  258,048 ratings  ·  30,328 reviews
“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges fro
Published September 18th 2012 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about The Raven Boys, please sign up.
Mawkingbird Not at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the …moreNot at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the main characters, and the female protagonist is not a passive one at all. She gets things done, has her own opinions, and while she does have some feelings regarding 'love', the focus is not at all on that.(less)

·  258,048 ratings  ·  30,328 reviews

Start your review of The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)
Miranda Reads
description
Stuck at home? Got some time on your hands? Want to start a long series? But you don't want a dud?

Check out this booktube video - all about which series are worth your time (and which ones aren't)!

Check Out the Written Review!
description

You know that feeling when a book is so perfect that you just want to shove it down everyone's throat?

Ok. Good. I thought I was the only one
Emily May
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Quirky loner girl meets privileged rich boy(s). Forbidden love and angst ensue.

I seem to have this habit. For the past couple of years, I've mostly been deliberately avoiding paranormal YA from authors I don't already love. The genre is a hard sell for me, filled with tropes that lead to low ratings and irritated reviews. But really, what tends to happen is this: the first book comes out and I avoid it, look the other way as other bloggers get excited and fangirl over the upcoming sequel.

Then t
Zoë
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

Reread in 2017:
I loved it so much more the second time! Every character was unique and fleshed out and I fell in love with them all! Well, most of them. Can't wait to pick up The Dream Thieves!

Book 34/100 of 2015:
I really enjoyed this! I came into this book not knowing anything about the plot, just that there were some weirdly named kids and something about ravens. It was a little difficult to get into as I had no idea where the plot would go and it was just overall pretty slow. However, ha
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
i'm so glad i re-read this before carrying on with the series! there were so many things that i had forgotten. SO MANY IMPORTANT THINGS. plus it was fun to re-read, because of all the foreshadowing. SO MCUH FORESHADOWING I TELL YA. i'm reading the series as apart of the missmareadalong & there is still time to join in if you want to read the raven cycle this month!! more info here: https://youtu.be/43yx_rDnNIc plus there are lots of GIVEAWAAAAYS happening! more info for that here: https://youtu. ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 Kindle US 9/14/19

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

I absolutely loved this book! But, here's the thing, I didn't know what was going on through half of the book and I'm still a little up in the air with what all they were doing. I just know that I FREAKING LOVED IT AND CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE!

YEAH.... I'M A LITTLE CRAZY! LOL

Okay so there are these four rich boys that go to the rich school, Aglionby. They are the main characters. We have Gansey, Adam, Ronan and Noah, they are calle
Kat
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
nostalgia has left me a weepy bitch
Nat
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magical-realism
Update 2020:
With my local library closed down, I’m stuck with the books on my bookshelf so I opted to reread my favorites. And it just hit me that I reread this book on April 24th aka the date that set off the gangsey! Coincidence? I think not.

There’s nothing quite like returning to the first book in a series to discover the neatly laid path of easter eggs that will come to resurface in the books to follow in the series.
The scene that hit me most was with the hollowed-out vision tree where Blue
Katerina
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, paranormal
“You're looking for a god. Didn't you suspect that there was also a devil?”

Instant new favorite!!

Psychics. Ghosts. Spirits. Sleeping kings. Legends. Enchanted forests. And a cursed romance. Maggie Stiefvater is an artist, ladies and gentlemen!

“Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.”

I was spellbound by this hauntingly beautiful paranormal tale since that very first sentence. Maggie Stiefvater narrates the story of how B
Nick
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've never read something quite like this. I loved how Blue talks with her mom, how Gansey is protective towards the boys, how Noah pats Blue's hair, how Ronan takes care of Chainsaw, how Adam talks to Blue. This book is the definition of found-family trope.
C.G. Drews
READ #5: August 2019:
Rereading in preparation for Call Down the Hawk and also because I am trc trash and am living my good life sobbing over my best friends who don't exist while being homesick for a magical forest i've never been to. Adam really got my heart in this reread...just, he his made of soft corners and faded hopes and I love him so much. He is so very brave.

READ #4: May 2018:
It has come to my attention that I am still hopelessly in love with all my Raven Boys. Still. Always. A
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A TV SHOW! A TV SHOW! - It's going to be directed by Catherine Hardwick, the woman who directed Twilight and Red Riding Hood. I know some of you think she may not be the best choice but I think she's perfect. She has a talent for mystery and magic, and if you aren't convinced you should watch Eyewitness, which is a fantastic and highly underrated TV show. Catherine directed a couple of episodes. Also, Maggie Stiefvater will be a producer for the show, which (hopefully) means that they won't stra ...more
emma
(Sweet Caroline voice) so good! so good! so good!

-----------

no better way to spend Halloween than rereading this book

-----------

THIS BOOK IS MIRACULOUS.

There are psychics and ghosts and very human characters and boys in private-school uniforms and ravens and magical places and sentient trees. There’s magic and a badass girl and my new favorite boy and Latin and a refurbished warehouse that makes for a very scholar-cute apartment and Welsh mythology and a pizza restaurant.

Raeleen Lemay
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
OK. SO THIS BOOK WAS PRETTY GREAT.

The book was very slow-moving for the first half or so, but I always found myself drawn in by the beautiful writing and the fabulous characters. This story is first and foremost about the characters, and I completely adored the friendship between the boys, and between Blue and the boys later on. Going into this, I thought it was going to be told solely from Blue's POV, and I am so glad that it wasn't. Getting to know the boys before they got to know Blue was a r
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”He felt raw: the chronicle of his fiercest desire stripped from him by force.”

After finishing “The Raven Boys” I have about a thousand of questions, the most pressing one however is the following:

Why did I wait so long to read this freaking awesome book???

I mean seriously!!?? What’s wrong with me!?
How could I survive without knowing about “The Raven Cycle”?!

I loved this book! It was so magical and mysterious and all the characters were so unique and well developed! What I loved the most
Cristina Monica
Apr 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: supernatural
The only character I like is Ronan. Which is... very ironic.

It might be time for Maggie Stiefvater and I to part ways.

Truly, there's nothing actually ''wrong'' with her style; it simply does not appeal to me. But this is the kind of story that I feel would be read in a better way if written in the 1st person point of view instead of 3rd. There is this possibility to feel connected to the protagonists... but a slim and invisible barrier seems to continuously block that connection. Even for Ronan.
Wendy Darling
On a cold night every spring, sixteen-year-old Blue and her psychic mother wait in a churchyard for the dead to arrive. Her mother is usually the one who sees the spirits of people who will die within the next twelve months, but this year, Blue herself is startled by the sad, desperate sight of a boy named Gansey falling to his knees before her.

"There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve, Blue. Either you're his true love...or you killed him."

With those chilli
Justin
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Yesterday I walked into my library's Young Adult section which is inside its own special Young Adult room. There were all these kids hanging out playing video games when this bearded 31 year old man walked into the room. He was a man on a mission, a mission to quickly identify the YA Series section, track down the YA SER RAV label on the spine of The Raven Boys, and get the heck outta that room before anyone knew I (I mean he) was there.

Mission accomplished.

Then I walked around the library loo
Riley
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily the best book I've read all year.

I've never read a book before where I love every single character equally.
Blue: she is everything i aspire to be and i just want to be bffs with her
Gansey: yes plz
Ronan: he's so scary and angry but you just know he secretly loves to watch cute cat videos
Adam: he must be wrapped in a warm blanket and protected at all costs
Noah: my precious cinnamon bun
Lala BooksandLala
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is favourite series of all time. I can't even write a review about it, I would just end up copying the entire novel down verbatim and saying, "This is my favourite part. And this part. And that part. And that quote and these characters and all of it and everything forever and always."
Jessica Edwards
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!
What an enjoyable read this was.

Blue, a teenage girl lives in a house full of psychic aunts and her mother. Ever since Blue was little, she was told that her true love will die if she kisses him. (That's one way to scare a little child...shit)
Blue goes to church with her Aunt Neeve on St. Mark's Eve, which is when the spirits of those who will die in the next twelve months come through. (Nice....)
Blue has no psychic ability, but she sees the spirit of a boy named Gansey. Aunt Neeve tells
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
"What happened was they drove to Harry’s and... Gansey ordered flavors of gelato until the table wouldn’t hold any more bowls and Ronan convinced the staff to turn the overhead speakers up and Blue laughed for the first time at something Gansey said and they were loud and triumphant and kings of Henrietta, because they’d found the ley line and because it was starting, it was starting.”

(Artwork by Static)

There was so much more to this book.
What it was: a group of kids searching for a dead we
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
This book is in my top favorites list. Kinda wished I would've read it sooner because it had the perfect blend of magic, friendship, bad guys that should be either shot or kicked in a hole somewhere remote, unforgettable characters (main characters or not) and a awesome story plot, that didn't get off track. My absolute favorite character, even though he wasn't the main male character, is Ronan Lynch. It was love at first sarcastic comment.
Really can't wait to read the rest of this series and ho
Maxwell
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, favorites
Do I need to even explain myself? No? Well, I will anyway.

This book has it all:

The best characters.
Maggie (I feel like we're on a first name basis) doesn't neglect developing any of the characters. Whether they show up for one scene or are a main character, they are real, fleshed-out people. I have a hard time believing Blue and the Raven Boys aren't walking around somewhere in Virginia right now on their search.

Perfect writing.
It's almost frightening how accurately the writing fits the mood of
Cindy Pham
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bumping this up to 4 stars. I appreciated this story much more upon rereading it! I think when I first read this book, I had trouble comprehending the story and differentiating between the characters since so much was being introduced at once. Now it’s been easier for me to familiarize myself with the story, and I’ve come to appreciate the atmospheric way Stiefvater approaches the narrative and the depth in her characters. I still don’t feel emotionally attached to the story or the characters as ...more
Steph Sinclair
Sep 29, 2013 marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steph by: Paul, Ameriie, Wendy Darling and a bunch of other people.
I'm finally submitting to peer pressure.
jessica
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
weeeell, that sure was spooky. and went in a completely different direction than what i was expecting. but i will allow it because it was highly entertaining!

and although, unfortunately, im not as obsessed with this as much of the GR community seems to be, i can understand why there is so much love for this book and characters. but the highlight for me is definitely the welsh folklore. yay for representation!! the mythology definitely kept me intrigued and i cant wait to see where the rest of t
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a good YA fantasy with magic, adventure, and friendship
#1 The Raven Boys ★★★★★
#2 The Dream Thieves ★★★★★
#3 Blue Lily, Lily Blue ★★★★★
#4 The Raven King ★★★★★
#4.5 Opal ★★★★★

All Blue's life, she's been surrounded by psychics: her mother, her aunt, her mother's live-in best friends. Blue can't predict anything, though - she's just an energy amplifier for everyone (and everything) around here. Her future has been set in stone for years. She will
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Reread this for a reading log... didn't remember it as much as I thought!
Petrik
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Petrik by: Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Raven Boys turns out to be more interesting that I thought it would be.

I was reluctant to start this series, not only that most of the hyped YA series always disappointed me, this one also seems like a book written specifically for girls. Don’t kill me SJW, here’s the fact and statistic. If I go to the front page of Raven Boys, out of my friend list (right now around 600), 200 of them has read and rated it. Out of those 200, only 13 of them consists of male. Yes, 13 out of 200 AND this is only b
Regan
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5

Really really liked this!
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater - Restarting August 3rd 2020 713 738 Aug 05, 2020 12:14PM
Who didn't like this book? 35 300 Jul 22, 2020 10:53AM
Addicted to YA: Noah (Raven Cycle) 3 310 Jul 21, 2020 02:55PM
A Crazy Little Th...: Raven Boys: Starting August 15th 1 9 Jul 19, 2020 09:22PM
I HATE CORONA GROUP: The Raven Boys Group Read 3 19 Jun 26, 2020 04:36AM

• The Foxhole Court (All for the Game, #1)
  • The Raven King (All for the Game, #2)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • The King's Men (All for the Game, #3)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
  • Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been formed by a desire to leave a mark, resulting in spray-painted cars, sharpie-covered computer printers, ink-splattered walls, and stories told in books, in magazines, and on stages. Maggie Stiefvater l

The Raven Cycle (4 books)
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
  • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)

Articles featuring this book

Sometimes it seems hard to make time for those things you really want to do more of, like our favorite activity: Reading. ...
“My words are unerring tools of
destruction, and I’ve come unequipped with the ability to disarm them.”
2081 likes
“She wasn't interested in telling other people's futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.” 1524 likes