Start by marking “The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  86,909 ratings  ·  11,559 reviews
“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges fro
Published September 18th 2012 by Scholastic Press (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Raven Boys, please sign up.

Mawkingbird Not at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the…moreNot at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the main characters, and the female protagonist is not a passive one at all. She gets things done, has her own opinions, and while she does have some feelings regarding 'love', the focus is not at all on that.(less)
YA Novels of 2012
53rd out of 1,325 books — 10,534 voters
City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. CastCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
214th out of 21,665 books — 57,162 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Quirky loner girl meets privileged rich boy(s). Forbidden love and angst ensue.

I seem to have this habit. For the past couple of years, I've mostly been deliberately avoiding paranormal YA from authors I don't already love. The genre is a hard sell for me, filled with tropes that lead to low ratings and irritated reviews. But really, what tends to happen is this: the first book comes out and I avoid it, look the other way as other bloggers get excited and fangirl over the upcoming sequel.

Then t
Wendy Darling
On a cold night every spring, sixteen-year-old Blue and her psychic mother wait in a churchyard for the dead to arrive. Her mother is usually the one who sees the spirits of people who will die within the next twelve months, but this year, Blue herself is startled by the sad, desperate sight of a boy named Gansey falling to his knees before her.

"There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve, Blue. Either you're his true love...or you killed him."

With those chilling
Post Reading:

Absolutely adored this book! An amazing start to a new series; plus, Ms. Stiefvater's writing style and story telling just gets better and better.

Before Reading:
Maggie! A new series by Maggie!

Can't wait for you, Raven Boys!!

Raeleen Lemay

The book was very slow-moving for the first half or so, but I always found myself drawn in by the beautiful writing and the fabulous characters. This story is first and foremost about the characters, and I completely adored the friendship between the boys, and between Blue and the boys later on. Going into this, I thought it was going to be told solely from Blue's POV, and I am so glad that it wasn't. Getting to know the boys before they got to know Blue was a r
Up until the very end, I was so sure The Raven Boys would be making an appearance on my top favorites list. Maggie Stiefvater’s latest book has everything I want from a great reading experience, a complex narrative, an intriguing and highly developed cast of characters, an utterly haunting style of writing that just blew me away from the first sentence recounting a dire prophecy. Sadly, my enthusiasm dampened somewhat once I sensed Stiefvater was trying a bit too hard to set up a new series, lea ...more
The only character that I liked was Ronan. Which is... very ironic.

It might be time for Maggie Stiefvater and I to part ways.

Truly, there's nothing actually ''wrong'' with her style; it simply does not appeal to me. But, this was the kind of story that I would feel would be read in a better way if written at the 1st person POV instead of 3rd. There was this possibility to feel connected to the protagonists... but a slim and invisible barrier seemed to block that connection every time. Even Ronan
Easily the best book I've read all year.

I've never read a book before where I love every single character equally.
Blue: she is everything i aspire to be and i just want to be bffs with her
Gansey: yes plz
Ronan: he's so scary and angry but you just know he secretly loves to watch cute cat videos
Adam: he must be wrapped in a warm blanket and protected at all costs
Noah: my precious cinnamon bun

Really really liked this!
Do I need to even explain myself? No? Well, I will anyway.

This book has it all:

The best characters.
Maggie (I feel like we're on a first name basis) doesn't neglect developing any of the characters. Whether they show up for one scene or are a main character, they are real, fleshed-out people. I have a hard time believing Blue and the Raven Boys aren't walking around somewhere in Virginia right now on their search.

Perfect writing.
It's almost frightening how accurately the writing fits the mood of
Beautifully written, the characters are wonderful!
I just wish it didn't take me so long to read it.
I can't begin to tell you how much I loved this book. THE HYPE WAS REAL AND IT LIVED UP TO IT. The characters, plot, and writing were all phenomenal, and I'm so excited to read the rest of the series!
4.5 stars - I LOVED THIS! There's something stopping me from giving it 5 stars, but I was SO intrigued throughout the entire book and I thought it was all really exciting! I can't wait to see what happens next!
Zoë (readbyzoe)
Book 34/100 of 2015

I really enjoyed this! I came into this book not knowing anything about the plot, just that there were some weirdly named kids and something about ravens. It was a little difficult to get into as I had no idea where the plot would go and it was just overall pretty slow. However, halfway through it really picked up and surprised me! I will definitely be picking up the next book sometime in the near future.
[4.5 Stars] Well, wasn't that a strange book? This book wasn't what I expected. I've only read one other Stiefvater book, and that was the Scorpio Races. I adore that book, especially the writing, so I knew I wouldn't be disappointed when it came to that. I didn't however, expect this to be so incredibly mysterious and magical and just flat out strange. The Scorpio Races is quite linear and this book is pretty much the opposite.

The Raven Boys is slow and languorous and dramatic and sleepy. The c
That is the BEST last line I have read in a while.

This book is strange and magical and also gritty at times, and I would recommend it to everyone.

Well, anyone who likes strange.
The synopsis for The Raven Boys is what first attracted me to this novel. A girl from a clairvoyant family who sees her first "soon-to-be-dead" ghost, the ghost of a boy who is currently a high school student, the ghost of a boy who she can't fall in love with. Because she's pretty sure what kills him is their first kiss. I know! This sounds exactly like a book for me. I was highly intrigued by this premise and especially excited by all the wonderful reviews it has gotten thus far, but I soon ca ...more
Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc)
What a pleasant surprise! The writing, the characterization, the plot.. just all on point! I went in not really thinking I would enjoy it as much as everyone else does but I really loved it! I need to get my hands on the next book ASAP!

[ source ]

After a third reread, I have to admit that the things that bothered me the first time, barely annoyed me. I'm falling hard for all the raven boys and even Blue's quirkiness has become sort of endearing rather than a pain in the ass.

At one store, Gansey had started to pay for
* 4.5/5 stars! The most unique YA book I've ever read. Highly recommend it! I cannot wait to see what Blue and the raven boys are up to next.

On feathered wings,

great characters
and ravens blend.

Also available as vid
I'm so confused...
I need book two! Stiefvater you've ruined my life!!
Mikee Andrea Quiambao
******************** 4.5 STARS ********************

Before I start this off, I want to thank my fellow bookworms for making this reading experience 100x more entertaining with all the added hints and fun commentary. You guys definitely kept me on my toes the whole time reading this book. <3

I can't even begin to count how many times I've passed this series up. I read the synopsis and I wasn't really wowed or blown away by it. And I just found it so unnoteworthy that I would always have to read
Kennia Belikov
I LOVED EVERYONE! I feel like I haven't read a good paranormal-y book in a while. I enjoyed myself very much as I read this book.

This book had a great cast of characters and that was my favorite part. If you enjoy that in books then you might enjoy this series. The style in which the book was written and the magic behind it reminded me a lot of the shadowhunter books and Cassandra Clare's style.

I found the plot very intriguing. There was a lot of mystery and everything was so dark and twisty.
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Just finished re-reading this and it was even more wonderful the second time. I loved it the first time I read it, but I was confused by a few things ... and reading it a second time it was way less confusing, I think because I already knew what all the major plot twists were and whatnot. Anyway ... now I'm going to re-read the second one in anticipation of the third one coming out soon-ish.

I plan to write a new review of this eventually, but my old review is under the spoiler below.

(view spoi
2 1/2 stars

When I first started this book many months ago, it fell right into not one, but TWO of my worst book dealbreakers. To quote myself from six months ago (because we all know how much I love to do that):

“Forbidden Love + YA

= No. I just can’t handle it anymore. I can’t handle whatever crazy-ass excuse (different classes, different species, he’s a murderer, he’s a sociopath, he’s a stalker but he’s oh so HOT anyway…) will be used to keep the love interests apart. And even MORE than that, I
Laura Marcela ✎・:*:・

“She recognized the strange happiness that came from loving something without knowing why you did, that strange happiness that was sometimes so big that it felt like sadness. It was the way she felt when she looked at the stars.”

Blurb: Blue has spent the majority of her sixteen years being told that if she kisses her true love, he will die. When Blue meets Gansey’s spirit on the corpse road she knows there is only one reason why – either he is her true love or she has killed him.
Determined to
UPDATE: I'm giving this book 5 stars. When I can't stop thinking about something for months, it's worth it. Plus I'll do a reread soon enough.

“Blue had developed her two rules: one, stay away from boys, because they were trouble. And two, stay away from Aglionby boys because they were bastards.”

The Raven Cycle series introduces some of the best characters, relationships and plots I have ever read about.

It is a character driven (hell to the yes) fanta
I'll admit it - I'm a sucker for a guy with the ability to command a room, his peers, and total strangers by the tone of his voice, his vocabulary, and the absolute knowledge of who he is. He has money, or he will, and he knows it. If there's a dilemma he wants to solve, he'll solve it. If an injustice annoys him, he will right it. Insecure superiors are a bit afraid he makes them something less just by sharing physical space, and their fears are probably founded.

So unlike our heroine, the very
Christine Riccio
SO SURPRISED at how much I ended up enjoying this,here's my extensive Booktalk/discussion: =D
ignite the books: November - The Raven Boys 10 20 15 hours, 52 min ago
The Book Basilisks: November Group Read: The Raven Boys 25 20 Nov 09, 2015 12:20AM
We ♥ YA Books! : The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater 9 55 Nov 05, 2015 10:31AM
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
  • The Brides of Rollrock Island
  • A Corner of White (The Colours of Madeleine, #1)
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • Midwinterblood
  • Carnival of Secrets (Untamed City, #1)
  • Monstrous Beauty
  • Scorch (Croak, #2)
  • Haze (The Rephaim, #2)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • The Isle of Blood (The Monstrumologist, #3)
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been based around her inability to be gainfully employed. Talking to yourself, staring into space, and coming to work in your pajamas are frowned upon when you're a waitress, calligraphy instructor, or tech
More about Maggie Stiefvater...

The Raven Cycle (4 books)
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
  • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)

“My words are unerring tools of
destruction, and I’ve come unequipped with the ability to disarm them.”
“Gansey had once told Adam that he was afraid most people didn't know how to handle Ronan. What he meant by this was that he was worried that one day someone would fall on Ronan and cut themselves.” 588 likes