Start by marking “Neurocomic” as Want to Read:
Neurocomic

Neurocomic

Do you know what your brain is made of? How does memory function? What is a neuron and how does it work? For that matter what’s a comic? And in the words of Lewis Carroll’s famous caterpillar: “Who are you?”

Neurocomic is a journey through the human brain: a place of neuron forests, memory caves, and castles of deception. Along the way, you’ll encounter Boschean beasts, gia
Published April 15th 2014 by Nobrow Press (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Neurocomic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neurocomic

Start your review of Neurocomic
Leah
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm going to preface this review by stating that I have no idea if the science or the facts in this graphic novel are right. I'm assuming they are, and if it's all accurate, I could see NEUROCOMIC being added to the curriculum as a possible visual learning aid.

There's a lot of science, history, facts, etc. given in very few pages, and I really enjoyed reading about all the brainy goodness this book had to offer.

The art is simple, but it kept me in the story. There was quite a bit of information
Emma Sea
It's about neuroscience, and there's a squid on the cover, grasping a rocketship. MUST READ!

***

A bit of a let down. I didn't love the art (except for the cephalopods. They were all marvelous.) Really didn't like the gender depictions. Yes, I'm a feminist pedant. You're either going to be with me on this, or think I'm a nutcase.

Text on lower image reads:

"Oh, my lady! So you were not a hallucination . . . are you the queen of this place?

"No, I'm not. I'm a prisoner just like you."

"Well, fear not,
David Schaafsma
A kind of YA level or science course companion on the workings of the brain, by neuroscientist turned comics writer Hana Ros. I'm not a science guy, I'm in English, but since I have a kid with autism I have read what I can of laymen's accounts of neuroscience, one of the last frontiers. The art in my introduction to Ros's work I didn't initially find all that great, but in places it was imaginative and inspired, and useful as a kind of creative introduction. We are introduced to the basics, and ...more
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
This is the most simplified neuroscience 101 book I've ever laid my hands on. The facts seem to be on point and the story is hectic in its own way. It was fun to see how a comic could be used as a great tool for learning; the future lies in Neurocomic. There's nothing too stunning in the artwork, but there's a lot of clever elements in it. It also plays well on the words, but sometimes I felt like the transition was a little too sharp. Like a 100 meter truck trying to do a 90-degree turn on a na ...more
Stewart Tame
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun, but a little on the short side. This is a look at the physiology of the brain in comics form. A young man is taken on a grand tour, guided by the various scientists responsible for discovering the various aspects of how the brain works. It's a playful concept, if a bit contrived. I'd describe the artwork as "simplified realism." It reminds me a bit of Phoebe Gloeckner, though with a bit less detail. The ending gets a bit meta, but it's lots of fun. I really liked this book. It's a great con ...more
Sesana
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
The idea of this book interested me, but I just couldn't get into it. I don't know if that's me, that I just won't be interested in neuroscience no matter how it's presented. Or maybe I could be, and this just wasn't the book to do it. I wasn't thrilled with the art, which mostly felt bland and lacking in detail. And I didn't like that the only female in the entire book was an objective, a destination, and not an actual person. As far as I know, the science presented was accurate, and easy enoug ...more
Laura Bang
It's an Alice in Wonderland-esque tour of your brain! With brain forests and science and random squids!

Science-wise, Neurocomic does a decent job of explaining the inner workings of your brain (as far as I, not a neuroscientist, can tell). The art is okay. It's not great, but it works to convey the ideas.

Where I really lost enthusiasm was the portrayal of women, which is actually noted early on in the text when protagonist dude finds himself inside a brain forest, looks around for the woman he w
Cate
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Did there really need to be a tiny plot about a man chasing and "saving" a woman in a book about explaining the brain? And where are all the lady scientists? They literally mention Aplysia right in the book but neglect to mention Angélique Arvanitaki who studied electrical activity in the nervous system of that very creature? And the book has a whole chapter about pharmacology and include neurotransmitters but also leave out Marthe Vogt, who is such an important contributor to what we now know a ...more
Joel Bass
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
As a huge fan of neuroscience and graphic novels, I was pretty excited about this. But... wouldn't you imagine that a book that combines the two would feature either kick-ass art or mind-blowing science facts (or hopefully both)? Sadly, this was fairly mediocre on both counts. While some of the art was dreamy and evocative, a lot of it looked like a high school kid's doodle of their teacher. 90% of the panels featured a wrinkly, constipated-looking dude on a nearly-blank background. And the neur ...more
Everlaine (BookCaptain)
This book gives a small insight to how your brain works. It beautifully published and some of the artwork is great, but some is pretty horrible. And I found that it seemed to focus more on the names of the doctor or scientist who'd made an important discovery than the actual discovery.
I'm a med student and from what we've read so far I believe the book to be accurate but unfortunately a little too simplistic.
And, as more reviewers have also mentioned, the way women are portrayed is pretty dist
Monica
May 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: miscelleous
This book seems to have a few contradictions. I am not able to tell if it were a written for an adult or child audience. o
Or an audience that knows nothing about neurology or with some grasp of it. The book is in cartoon format but the language and flow of the logic is not quite simple and the book is hard bound and looks very serious. Even though I have some basic knowledge of how the brain works, I still find some info baffling. A strange book. Written by scientists to as an introductory educa
Sonic
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is awesome! Written buy a Dr. and illustrated by a Dr. (superbly I must add!)
My only criticism is that when they got to speaking about consciousness,
which they only barely mentioned near the end,
they just had to bring out the old ego-driven mechanistic view of biology, ...
which is to say instead of admitting how little they know about consciousness,
they act like someday it will all be explained away as a simple brain function.
I find this perspective to be limited
and limiting.

Still, I p
Libby
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm going to preface this by saying I study neuroscience. I enjoyed it. The explanations are a little simple and teleological, but it's a good introduction to neuroscience concepts. The art is fun, and I like the concept of describing the brain graphically. I would recommend it for people interested in an introduction to basic neuroscience. It provides a good base for learning more about the complexities of the topics it covers by giving relevant vocabulary and some big names in the field.
Cleo
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Incredible. I was going to give it 4 stars for being a wonderfully informative, well-drawn graphic novel. But then the last few pages caused me to have a mini existential crisis, and the 5th star had to be awarded!
Edward Sullivan
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A surreal, informative journey through the human brain. A fun, novel way to learn about neuroscience.
Guilherme Morais
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good book. The art is simple and organized, and the book reading is very fast, cause there are a lot of images. Explain about de inner works of the brain in a easy way to people that aren't involved with science, especially for children. The negative point is the unique woman in the book was the man is sexually interested, while there are many scientists (ok, the science is not feminist, and the book doesn't contribute to a better image for this).
Matias Selzer
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Great comic that gives a brief overview about how the brain works.
I loved the pictures and the story was really entretaining.
Essam Munir
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: neuroscience
This would be a good school book, or a book for children as the illustrations are beautiful and capturing.
clare
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great way to see the inner workings of the nervous system and brain, through a narrative.
Jennifer Madero (Boricuan Bookworms)
More Reviews at Boricuan Bookworms

eARC Provided by Publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

I'm a big science gal, specially when it comes to things related to the brain. If it wasn't because of a few things I'm not committed to when it came to becoming a Doctor, I'd be a neurologist.

This book deals with that awesome information, the wonders of something so delicate and complex as the brain, in a matter of drawings explaining these occurrences with a minor story

Despina | inwhirlofinspiration
description
You can find more pictures and the whole book review, here.

It's no secret around these lands that I am through my "thesis writing" era lately. As an undergraduate neuroscientist I deal with neurons all the time, the one and only unit that controls everything, from the things that you feel, remember or dream. Everything starts and stops with our brain's neurons. Neurocomic is an introduction to this chaotic field and its approach is far more pleasant than the papers' that I read lately.

So, from
{Alegria Garcia4}
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I gotta say, this book is awesome! The concepts were so easy to follow with the creative analogies. I liked how the whole story reminded me of Alice in Wonderland. The main character trying to find a way out of the brain, and everyone he encountered seemed to be mad! And like Alice in Wonderland, the ending was creepy, and strangely sad to me. A must-read for anyone, not just fans of neuroscience!
Andrea James
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
In a way it's difficult to rate this book because I would perhaps give it more stars as a neuroscience guidebook for kids. I was expecting a graphic novel for grown-ups and so I was a little disappointed to find that the style of story-telling seemed to be aimed at a much younger audience. It is written with an overall tone of "Did you know...?", and even includes cameos by the more well-known neuroscientists introducing parts of the brain that they worked with or various related concepts.

Like m
Nicola Mansfield
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm really not sure how to describe this book because as it says near the end "...because nothing really happened if not inside [your brain]" The topic as a whole covers what happens inside the brain and the history of neuroscience. This is presented with a character who appears to be trapped inside a brain and is trying to find a way out, by the end he wants out of the brain and the discussion enters the realm of what can happen when one goes out of their brain/mind. Mind vs brain is explored a ...more
Oliver Ho
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this brief and fun, weird book about the brain. It takes the form of a surreal short story, and even though I would have liked it to go on longer, especially in the last two chapters, it still packs in a lot of information. The art is also a lot of tentacly, trippy fun. I'm sure I'll re-read this to refresh my memory about the subject.
Nouf Almasoud
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book, liked its way of simplification as a comic, which is totally my thing!
As the huge subject it implies (Neuroscience) I expected to get more information though.
Liked the ending and the page of recommended books which I will obviously check.
Liz Yerby
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Like all nobrow books the book design here is gorgeous. I thought the information was really interesting/important stuff to know. I felt it was a little dense, but since it was short enough to read on a bus ride I didn't feel overwhelmed.
Jamie
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
(2.5) While this was a very interesting idea, I think trying to break the brain (which is amazing!) down into easily digestible bits wasn't best served in this format. Still, the art was good and strange and the text made me appreciate the complexity of an organ I take totally for granted.
Anurag
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This short comic book summarizes key neurology concepts in a simple, visual way. Highly recommended as a quick primer on how neurons connect and communicate with other neurons to form the basis of memory and self.
Rachel
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's a cute way to burn half an hour. I learned, I laughed, and it made stop and think a few times. The hardcover version's worth buying for the intricate cover.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Senses
  • Statystycznie rzecz biorąc, czyli ile trzeba zjeść czekolady, żeby dostać Nobla?
  • Artemisia
  • Tetris: The Games People Play
  • Sur les ailes du monde, Audubon
  • Foxes Unearthed: A Story of Love and Loathing in Modern Britain
  • Czy psychodeliki uratują świat?
  • Z nienawiści do kobiet
  • The Art of Over the Garden Wall
  • Psychiatric Tales
  • Jak nakarmić dyktatora
  • A User's Guide to Neglectful Parenting
  • Taśmy rodzinne
  • Mes sincères condoléances
  • Сила твоей истории. Как услышать внутренний голос и изменить жизнь
  • In Waves
  • The Birth of the Pill: How Four Crusaders Reinvented Sex and Launched a Revolution
  • Unflattening