Start by marking “The Necromancer's House” as Want to Read:
The Necromancer's House

The Necromancer's House

Christopher Buehlman’s new novel—one of uncommon horrors hiding behind the walls of the house next door…

“You think you got away with something, don’t you? But your time has run out. We know where you are. And we are coming.”
The man on the screen says this in Russian.
“Who are you?”
The man smiles, but it’s not a pleasant smile.
The image freezes.
The celluloid burns exactly wh
Published October 1st 2013 by Ace

Char
This book is totally INSANE!!

I thought Between Two Fires was crazy, but The Necromancer's House has that one beat. By a mile!

Magic is inherent but also can be taught. There are all kinds of spells that may be weaved. There are all kinds of creatures of myth and folklore. There's a meteor! There's a crazy-ass dog... creation. There is the dead founder of AA having conversations through the television. There's a house, filled with many booby traps and spells, and what dark fiction reader doesn't l
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of fluffy bunnies, cute kitties and pastel-colored rainbows
Recommended to ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) by: Lee
🥝 The Kiwi Made Us Do It Buddy Read with Mr Kiwi Man Himself, My Nefarious Daughter, My Dearest of Wives, Not-So-Slowpoke-Anymore and The Shameless DNFer 🥝

Actual rating: 4.84576987523 stars. And a half.

So. This book has a 3.7 average star rating.

You really are a hilarious-then-again-maybe-not bunch, Tiny Decapods Mine. Will you ever stop reading books terribly wrong, I wonder? Hahahahahaha again. I think not. A good thing I read this along with some Wondrous People of Impeccable Book Taste (WPoI
Evgeny
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
DNF at 21%.

My dear friends I am sooooo sorry....
Sorry

Every single friend of mine who read the book loved it. The lowest rating they gave was 4 stars. I am talking about people whose book opinions I value and often share. Me? I took the coward's way and DNFed it. There were some signs: the average rating of the book was just below the threshold I consider books to be worthy of at least checking out, but as I said my friends loved it, so...

In any way Andrew Ranulf Blankenship is a recovering alcoholic
Lee
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, fantasy
Yeah, Harry Dresden? You're a big fucking girls blouse. You want to play with the big boys? Huh? Well let me introduce you to Andrew Blankenship and the shit he has to to deal with. None of this prissy pussy footing around Chicago in a fancy fucking magic raincoat on the back of a dinosaur with fairies looking out for you. Shit no! My Blankenship has to watch out for freaking psycho Slavic witches and horny russian mermaids. All he has to help him is his dead dog, now converted into a wicker man ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
This is a somewhat challenging book to review. For a good deal of the book I was thinking 3 stars at most. Other times it would "obviously" rate the full 5 stars. So up front let me say this is an excellent book in many ways and I would recommend you give it a try. I say that up front because after this I intend to give a few details and that is going require some talk of pluses and minuses.

So first a controversial statement, if you're interested in only a "plot" that is "a story" you could prob
Choko
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*** 4.75 ***

And I used to think Baba Yaga was scary before! This book reawakened a lot of my childhood fears.... Now I have to watch something cheesy in order to be able to go to sleep... Very well written in an off beat way and very disturbing at times, which was obviously what the author want to achieve, and achieve he did!😈
Michele
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got hold of an advance reading copy of this, so was lucky enough to read it before it was officially released. Well, actually my husband got the ARC and I had to wait until he was done with it before I could get my greedy little hands on it. Longest two weeks of my life.

Given that the author's previous two books were "period pieces" -- although from wildly different periods -- I wasn't sure what to expect with this one, a very contemporary story complete with classic cars, AA, chat rooms, and
Tim Martin
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, horror, reviewed
Magic has consequences, and the use of powerful magic has powerful consequences. That would be the theme of this well-written modern/urban fantasy. That, or perhaps instead of the title _The Necromancer’s House_ (though the title does fit), it might be called _Magical Blowback_.

The chief protagonist is one wizard (though he does not like being called a wizard) by the name of Andrew Ranulf Blankenship. Living near present day Oswego, (upstate) New York, on the shores of Lake Ontario, he has a rat
Zoeytron
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Consider that the cosmos has a small percentage of individuals who are luminous. That is to say, users of magic. Call them witches or warlocks, or magi, they are scattered all over the universe. Most of them are aware of the other users, their strengths and their weaknesses. Enter the magical world of necromancer Andrew Blankenship. In his house, you can step into the Room of Skins, dive into a bath tub like no other, and be served by a wicker man, a dry man with a dog's heart and a framed portr ...more
Lukas Holmes
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
I think there is simply no one putting out better fiction than Buehlman. He is the one author I have to buy the moment he puts something out. I guess you can call these horror, but it's impossible to categorize his first three books into one little genre like that.

This one is all about a modern day 'wizard'. From there you really can't expect anything. There are so many moving parts in a book by Christopher that you will WANT to read it again. Not HAVE to.

His voice is so unique and so new I ca
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-fantasy
I liked my second Christopher Buehlman book even more than my first, and that's saying something. In THE NECROMANCER'S HOUSE we get a magnificent tale of mystery and magic. We get to experience wonderful writing and vivid characters. This is one of the best dark fantasy books I've ever read. Highly recommended.
Morgannah
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Christopher Buehlman’s THE NECROMANCER’S HOUSE is set in present-day upstate New York and integrates mythologies from various cultures ( mostly Russian and Slavic folklore) and traces analogies to the new myth-magic of hacking and cybernetics.

To keep you interested there’s a sexually mismatched romantic entanglement at the core. There is also a fair bit of engagement with the impact of addictions (and AA founder Bill Wilson has a small but substantive cameo). And just in case you need something
Gabrielle
That's it. I want to go grab a beer with Mr. Buehlman and pick his brains (you are invited, Erika!), because every time I pick up one of his books, I end up loving his writing even more than I did before. Classifying him as a horror writer is too easy, it doesn't accurately describe what he does. He takes what can seem like classic horror tropes and then he goes "this is boring: let's make it fun again!" and twists them up into something unexpected and addictive.

A few pages into "The Neuromancer
Bandit
Dec 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Christopher Buehlman's writing is very much an acquired taste, one I simply can't seem to acquire and not for the lack of trying either. I found his first book to be average and his second one to be tedious, but this one just had such an interesting premise, great title, one more try was in order. Turns out this was just the third strike. No matter how fascinating the concept or the backstory, there is just that weirdly overly stylized writing with its one sentence paragraphs that just renders t ...more
John
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Chris Buehlman has one of the most unique voices in modern fiction today. His first two published novels; Those Across the River and, Between Two Fires, are both fantastic and the Necromancer's House continues this tradition of excellence. His research is extensive, his prose is layered, and his characters are continuously flawed and fascinating.

This is his first book set in contemporary times, and has a more playful feel than the other two. It has more of Buehlman's sly sense of humor and at t
Allie
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
WOW. It's not every day I find a book with this quality of writing, with characters and magic and settings that are just made for the screen, that scared the crap out of me and made me cry like a little girl. More later...
Shannon Moseley
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For the past few days, I have been reading The Necromancer’s House by Christopher Buehlman. I can honestly say, I have not read such an entertaining novel in long time!

The story revolves around a wizard and his lesbian friend, whom he meets at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. It seems the wizard, Andrew, has another friend, a Russian Mermaid that enjoys drowning men. Unfortunately, the little mermaid drowns an old Russian man with ties to a very powerful family of witches.

The story is fast paced
Nikki Pill
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book is brilliant. I've been eagerly anticipating it for over a year and it did not disappoint.

First, Buehlman's versatility as a writer is astonishing. Even though all three of his books are inventive and engrossing, I never would have realized that all three are by the same author if his name wasn't on the cover. His settings pervade every story, and the language of each book reflects the setting in an immersive way.

My favorite aspect of his writing is his use of language and metaphor. Ev
B.L. Hewitt
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Buehlman never fails to delight and surprise, which is one of the reasons I love this author. Once again he has blindsided me with something I didn’t expect. The Necromancer’s House is a tale of modern magic. The protagonist in this piece is a recovering alcoholic wizard, who while in his cups, has made a small errors in some of his castings and conjured up unwanted daemons that just complicate his to the death, or not, fight with an ancient witch.
I love the voice the author has given this unli
Kelvin Pau
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
A breath of brisk, refreshing air. Imaginative world-building and style elevate this book above the hordes of lesser urban fantasy.
Emme
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1off, favorites
I was not expecting this book to be as awesome as it was -- no slight to the author at all, I just had not heard of him nor read his previous works, so I was utterly surprised at how AMAZING this read was. I found this in the new fiction shelf at my B&N, but really I think it should have been sci-fi (urban fantasy). I wonder if it is categorized as fiction according to B&N because they think it should be in the horror genre and B&N lumps that in with fiction (for whatever reason).

The
Robert Vanneste
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow . Just wow . Buehlman has an incredible imagination and he can write . Easily a 5 star book . It should be on your want to read shelf . Really it should be in your hand . Apparently I loved it since I'm gushing over it .
Kristin
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Andrew Blankenship is a warlock able to communicate with the dead through VHS (he hasn't quite figured out digital yet). He also has a past that involves having stolen books filled with Russian magic from the old crone, Baba Yaga, while in the former Soviet Union. Too bad for him, Baba Yaga is coming...

There were aspects of this book that I loved. The characters were vividly portrayed, each with his or her own strengths, flaws, and quirks. There were bits of the unexpected, like Andrew's house s
Lisa
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Andrew Blankenship is an eccentric recovering alcoholic living near Lake Ontario in Upstate New York. He also happens to be a wizard (although he prefers “magus”) who specializes in communicating with the dead through film, and who also tends to attract “weird shit.”

This is a hard book to review without giving away too much, but it’s definitely worth reading. The story is very meandering and stream-of-consciousness at first, and it takes a while before the actual plot becomes clear. Although som
Sue
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read Mr. Buehlman's earlier book, Those Across the River, last year. While I enjoyed it, I didn't love it. The plot and characters were interesting, but for some reason I found the whole thing a bit turgid. Still, I enjoyed it enough that when I saw a copy of The Necromancer's House on the shelf, I gave it a hard look, and ended up buying it. I'm SO glad I did. The Necromancer's House is a rollicking, frightening and moving book that grabbed me from the beginning and never slowed down. The tit ...more
Jason
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
5 Stars

The Necromancer's House by Christopher Buehlman is a freaking bad ass urban fantasy that is out of this world. I absolutely loved everything about this book and wish I gave it a deep review. In a nutshell it has it all. This is a story of a sorcerer named Andrew Ranulf Blankenship who is in many ways similar to Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden but he is definitely not PG rated.

I loved every word of this book. I am an instant fan of Buehlman now and will jump into his other works.

This is an ad
Deborah Replogle
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've found a new Urban Fantasy author to follow. I love that! Actually, I love finding any new (to me) author that engages my attention and makes me think about the plot as I am reading,or after I've finished. I have to say I've read too many books that are immediately forgettable.

If you like Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, you may like this. It has elements of Dresden the Wizard, and one could even imagine (in the fictional world) that Dresden and Buehlman's warlock - Andrew Blankenship, might act
Kelly Cochran Davis
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
My favourite aspects to Chris' style is how complex, many layered and ultimately convoluted it is. You cannot breeze through his novels and get the gist of anything. You must read each and every deliberately and lovingly chosen word to really immerse yourself in the story's potential. His are not the works for a person looking only for a popcorn snack, but for the person seeking a thought provoking glimpse into worlds like and unlike ours in a few very important and potentially terrifying ways. ...more
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads, horror
Gorgeously written and delightfully original, The Necromancer's House misses that elusive five-star rating by a hair due to a certain emotional coldness which leaves you not-quite-able to truly invest in the characters.

Before you start looking at me crooked, wondering how I could possibly give four stars to a novel I just admitted failed the empathy test, let me point out that this is the only novel I've ever seen that bases itself on Russian folktales and then runs with it brilliantly - I mean,
Bee
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Why haven't heard of this book before?

It. Was. Awesome. Seriously, like a cross between a Gaiman novel and a better version of Lev Grossman's The Magicians. The attention to details and his knowledge of mythology was impressive.

Yes, it is stylized. If you like your supernatural fictions YA easy reading style, this is not for you. Also his previous novels were period pieces, so I could see the torture and magic and sex being a rude awakening.

He is awesome at characterization, almost to his detr
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 4: Gangwar
  • The Broken Ones
  • A Fall of Stardust
  • Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead
  • Our Haunted Lives: True Life Ghost Encounters
  • The Ghost Hunter: Chilling Tales of Real Life Hauntings
  • Baltimore, Vol. 3: A Passing Stranger and Other Stories
  • The Victorian Book of the Dead
  • The Howling Ghost (Spooksville, #2)
  • A Halloween Treat & Edward Gorey’s Ghosts
  • The Old Magic of Christmas: Yuletide Traditions for the Darkest Days of the Year
  • The Hawley Book of the Dead
  • The Last Witness
  • Sing Me Your Scars
  • The Illustrated Herbiary: Guidance and Rituals from 36 Bewitching Botanicals
  • Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling
  • Beneath the Skin
  • Throne of Darkness (Something Red, #3)
“The world has become a playground of idiots and zealots, where the ever-shrinking centre of reasonable men must work harder and harder to keep the lights on and the bombs from going off.” 1 likes