Start by marking “A Literary Christmas: An Anthology” as Want to Read:
A Literary Christmas: An Anthology

A Literary Christmas: An Anthology

For as long as Christmas has been celebrated, poets and writers have sought to explore every aspect of it, from the story of the nativity to the festive traditions families worldwide have established over the centuries. And such works have forever changed the way we think about the holiday. Where would Christmas be today without Ebenezer Scrooge or “‘Twas the Night Before ...more
Published October 15th 2013 by British Library

To ask other readers questions about A Literary Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Literary Christmas

Barbara
A delightful collection. My favorite was the story from Orkney. I would have liked to have more "local" and traditional tales in the collection. Nevertheless, as a free gift from Audible, it fit the bill for an enjoyable holiday listen.
Asheley
At 2 hours, 17 minutes: this is a great audio listen for the busy holiday time, or any time honestly. I listened today to fill in the gaps when I was baking and also while doing a few other things between family holiday obligations at this place and that place. The short holiday-themed poetry selections mixed with prose excerpts made it easy to listen for a little while, then stop...listen, then stop...repeat. Favorites of mine include submissions from Charles Dickens, Emily Bronte, Louisa May A ...more
Callum McLaughlin
This was a wonderful little treasure trove of festive writings, perfect for getting into the Christmas spirit in the build up to the big day. I liked that there's a mix of both prose and poetry, and it's nicely structured, being split into different sections (Before Christmas, The Nativity, Christmas Day, Christmas Fare, Christmas at War, A Child's Christmas, Seasonal Snow and Ice, and New Year).

As with any anthology, there were of course some writing styles featured that I enjoyed more than oth
Sue K H
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of gems in here
Lori
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of short Christmas prose and poetry from classic authors including Dickens, Longfellow, Hardy, Alcott and Austen to name a few. Excellent short snippets making it a perfect easy read for delightful listening while prepping during Christmas time. Brilliantly narrated by Juliet Stevenson and Simon Callow. Highly recommended.
Kristy Miller
A collection of poetry and snippets of prose related to the holidays. A short, delightful collection read by favorites Juliet Stevenson and Simon Callow. My only complaint is that the pauses between pieces was almost non-existent, and it felt rushed.
Emmkay
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
It was very pleasant to dip in and out of this collection of classic poems, short stories, and excerpts from longer works, all round the themes of Christmas, winter weather, and New Year's. Some very familiar ones but also some surprises. I especially liked the excerpt from John Evelyn's diary of the 1684 freezing of the Thames - very evocative.
Sharyn L.
Easier to listen to at a slower speed.
Julie Davis
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quite enjoyable collection of excerpts and poems celebrating Christmas. They were perfect for getting into a Christmas frame of mind, except for the last section which was entitled Cold Weather. That bit seemed to me to be added to pad it out some.
Laurel Hicks
Snippets of Christmas by Dickens, Austen, Alcott, etc. An excellent selection.
Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard
Great collection of seasonal stories by the great authors of old times gone by.

Hope
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
At just over two hours, this is a lovely way for book lovers to get in the mood for the Christmas season. Intermingled with devout poetry such as Rosetti's "In the Bleak Midwinter" and Donne's "Nativity" are readings from classics such as Little Women, Emma, and A Christmas Carol. It was delightful to hear favorite passages and to be introduced to new ones. (Who actually remembers that there is a Christmas passage in Wuthering Heights?)

By only complaint is that the reading near the end from Emma
Deb
I think this audiobook was a gift last year from #Audible-or it was an inexpensive daily deal. I've been listening to it while #audiosouping 🍲🥄as most of my current audiobooks didn't fit my mood today. Juliet Stevenson & Simon Callow do a delightful job narrating this seasonal anthology of the holiday 'bits' from different pieces of famous works. A fun compilation and a nice, quick holiday treat.
Alina Maria Ciobanu
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of Christmas literature, comprising fragments of prose and poetry from great British and American writers.
Heather
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audibook
I enjoyed the selection of stories and poems but I don’t think the audiobook was the best way of reading this book. I’ve ordered he hardback for next year and I am sure I will read this agai.
Sara Cantoni
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: xmas
Ma che bella sorpresa!

Questo libro mi si è palesato quasi per caso durante la mia (purtroppo breve) visita da Mollat a Bordeaux (la libreria indipendente più grande di Francia). Ero alla ricerca di un altro titolo, che non era disponibile, ma non potevo uscire da lì senza un volume. Mentre gironzolavo per la sezione dei libri in lingua (ahimè il mio francese non permette la lettura in lingua originale delle opere d'oltralpe) mi sono imbattuta in questo bellissimo libro.

Editorialmente parlando è
Mylesgorton
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good anthology of Festive writing that goes beyond the usual A Christmas Carol (although that is in there). It presents writings on different aspects of the season - before Christmas, the nativity, Christmas Day, food, Christmas at war, child's Christmas, seasonal weather and New Year. A personal favourite from the book is a section from 'Christmas Pudding' by Nancy Mitford which I liked so much more wife bought me her complete novels for Christmas and I am now reading Christmas Pudding in ful ...more
Julie
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's that time of year when I read light fare for the holidays, and books and stories that feature Christmas themes.
This compilation has been bouncing around in my library for a while now, but this year it just felt like the right time to listen to the contents.

This is full of snippets of books and stories from classic British literature. It felt as if I were revisiting old friends and peeking in at their holiday celebrations. I had expected Dickens and Thomas. I was pleasantly surprised to vis
Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629)
What a fantastic idea for a book. Christmas excerpts from classics. Some of these books I have read before however I did not mind hearing these passages again. It is the season after all.

My only problem was that I listened to it via Audible instead of reading it. I had trouble with the male narrator with the thick accent. The woman spoke clearly and succinctly however.

The other problem with listening was that I listened in the car. I was unable to jot down any books that sounded interesting.

I d
Rebecca
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an interesting collection of poems and novel and diary excerpts all about Christmas. Some of them seemed like slightly odd choices, but it was a fun mix.

Narration note - I enjoyed the two narrators, but the recording is set up so that the next selection starts the absolute second the last one ends. There is barely a breath (and I'm not exaggerating). There were a number of times I couldn't follow the beginning of a selection because I was trying to process the transition.
Neeraja Sankaran
I just finished listening to this anthology last night, and think I might have to "rent" it every December or at least many Decembers and have a good listen. It is a delightful collection, made all the more so by the beautiful renditions from the readers. I may have to make good on my long-held plans (since grade school) to actually read Dickens's Pickwick Papers and perhaps an Audible version might be just the ticket!
Pat
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I forgot I had listened to this short anthology of poetry and clips about Christmas from such writers as Alcott, Wadsworth, Dickens, George Eliot, Jane Austen, Wooehouse, etc. A lover of classic literature will so enjoy hearing this read during the holidays. Classic Christmas poetry plus clips beautiful English lit.
Julie
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really interesting selection of prose and poetry from some of the greatest writers of the English language. I read this over the course of 2 christmases and because the excerpts are so short, this didn’t in any way diminish my enjoyment. Sometimes all we have is a few minutes at this time of year and this collection will fill these short periods very well indeed.
Natalie
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-nerd-books
This book was fine. I had higher hopes than actually panned out. It is really just snippets from other books, mostly classics, some that I had never even heard of, that dealt with Christmas, winter, snow, or food. Several did make me laugh and I was inspired to pick up a couple of new books. So I guess it was good in the end.
Martha
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed listening to these holiday vignettes or excerpts from many good classics. Some of the voices were fabulous and I will need to go back to listen to titles. I would really like to identify who read which sharings. It would be nice if there was a pdf file noting the narrator and title for each piece.
Amanda
Spring 2018:

Where do I even start? How do I even quantify how beautiful this was, and how touching it was to listen to forty different pieces of preeminent poetry and prose from the literary canon. I can see myself putting this on, and letting it sing and read throughout my whole house, as I'm putting up the tree and all the decorations this coming after-Thanksgiving weekend.
Donna
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Nice mix of poems and selections from famous works. Excellent narrators although the selections are mashed together so that there is not even even the slightest of pauses between the last word of one piece and the first word of the next. Very annoying but well worth a re-listen.
Lucile
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Christmas read #7 was a delight that includes excerpts from many classic authors not usually associated with the holidays.
Sandy
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just a delightful book. I loved the pictures and artwork. I loved many of the stories that I hadn't read before and a few I had. I loved the poetry. Just what a needed to finish off the season.
Carl  Palmateer
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful collection of poetry and prose to set the holiday spirit. As an audio book it was a great way to help wrapup the last couple days of commuting before Christmas weekend.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Round the Christmas Fire: Festive Stories
  • Silent Nights: Christmas Mysteries
  • Tinsel: A Search for America's Christmas Present
  • Christmas at High Rising
  • A Coyote Solstice Tale
  • Another Little Christmas Murder
  • Christmas At The New Yorker: Stories, Poems, Humor, And Art
  • The Wicked Winter (Roger the Chapman, #6)
  • Village Christmas And Other Notes on the English Year
  • The Twelve Deaths Of Christmas
  • Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
  • Santa Clauses: Short Poems from the North Pole
  • City of Ravens: The Extraordinary History of London, its Tower and Its Famous Ravens
  • Elfquest: The Final Quest Volume 2
  • Winter Magic
  • The Clue is in the Pudding (Pennyfoot Hotel #20)
  • The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries