Start by marking “The Boy in the Drawer” as Want to Read:
The Boy in the Drawer

The Boy in the Drawer

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  571 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Shelley finds a small boy in her drawer who causes a lot of trouble.

This ebook features read-along narration by the author as well as music and sound effects.
Published April 2nd 2013 by Annick Press (first published June 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy in the Drawer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy in the Drawer

Sandra Stiles
Jul 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Shelley walks into her room and finds it a mess. She tells her mother and is told to clean it up. She finds a boy reading a book in her sock drawer. She keeps finding messes in other places and her mother keeps telling her to clean it up. The small boy is responsible for the messes. Every time she yells at him he gets bigger. He is flooding the kitchen by taking a bath in the bread box. When she yells at him to get out he grows larger and sits in the middle of the table. Shelley finally figures ...more
Kate
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
I'm trying to come up with a moral to this story...but it feels almost backwards. Anyway, it's cute, weird Munsch. How can you not like Munsch. ;)
Michael
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh. Cute idea but the ending fell flat.
Diana Pettis
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelley finds a small boy in her drawer who causes a lot of trouble. I read this today to Xander and he really liked it. He then said to me that it was sad about Shelley having to be an only child. As I was reading this story aloud to Xander I noticed vocabulary that we had to talk about. The word trouble-maker really tripped him up. As you are reading this story there are other spots where you can go in talking with children. Some of the things I did with Xander were to stop and ask him to pred ...more
Carol
I always liked the idea of "little" things, little people, so this book about a tiny boy in a drawer appealed to me. Not that the boy is very appealing - he's grumpy and he makes an awful lot of messes. Still, he's cute in his own way, and he is changeable. In fact, the heroine can touch him and change his size. This Munsch book came from the 80's and, I think, is one of the more classic Munsch stories. My favourite bit is the opening picture of the girl's bedroom, with the floor and walls almos ...more
Dolly
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
This is a fun story about a little girl who is plagued with a naughty little boy who makes a mess in her room and the rest of her house. It's silly, and in a strange way, shows the power of love and kindness. Our girls enjoyed watching the story on the Tumblebooks website. (www.tumblebooks.com) Our oldest said that it was the silliest book she'd ever heard.
TheMcafeeKids
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He was hiding in her drawer. Then her bed. Then he tried to paint the window black. So she patted him and the parents gave him a hug and the boy disappeared. I liked this book because it's by my favourite author, Robert Munsch.
Richelle
I enjoyed this one but didn't really understand it .. why he got bigger and smaller when certain things happened to him.. all in all I enjoyed it.. another one I have never read! falling in love with Munsch's writing all over again!
Jen
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelley finds a little boy in her drawer who causes all sorts of problems in her house!
Lesley Looper
I was intrigued by the title and the cover, but the story didn't intice or amuse me as I'd hoped.
Kristine Hansen
I felt like this story never clearly made the point it was trying to make. It could have been so much better but instead fell flat and was just kind of 'meh'.
Dominic Fortin-Charland
C'est réellement perturbant en tant que petit roman pour très jeunes enfants. Un papa qui lance un grille-pain et des câlins pour faire disparaître un petit garçon. Au secours.
Leah
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, teachers, anyone
Munsch's most adventurous story. Blends real life with some fantasy.
Cws
May 18, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR2-Mun
Quinn
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another childhood favorite that I have read to both of my children.
Tam
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Normally I like Robert Munsch's books but I didn't like this one.
Mckinley
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, fantasy, family
Imps in the house don't bode well.
Justine
  • The Hockey Sweater
  • Marven of the Great North Woods
  • Rapunzel: A Groovy Fairy Tale
  • Froggy's Baby Sister
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • Sadie and the Snowman
  • McDuff Comes Home
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • Pop's Bridge
  • The Teeny-Tiny Woman
  • The Daring Game
  • The Josefina Story Quilt
  • Players in Pigtails
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil
More about Robert Munsch...