Start by marking “Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)” as Want to Read:
Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)

Read Excerpt

Neanderthal Seeks Human

(Knitting in the City #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  41,468 ratings  ·  4,211 reviews
Previous cover edition for ASIN B00BUWA58E

There are three things you need to know about Janie Morris: 1) She is incapable of engaging in a conversation without volunteering TMTI (Too Much Trivial Information), especially when she is unnerved, 2) No one unnerves her more than Quinn Sullivan, and 3) She doesn't know how to knit.

After losing her boyfriend, apartment, and job
Published March 14th 2013 by Caped Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Neanderthal Seeks Human, please sign up.
Penny Reid I can always tell when I receive an email from a knitter because they reference the Madelinetosh scene :-)
I was/am careful to include no more than a…more
I was/am careful to include no more than a few knitting specific details in each of the books as I don't want the actual knitting to overshadow the friendships. Therefore, I make sure the details I do include are efficient "inside jokes" for all my knitting readers.

I hope this helps!(less)

·  41,468 ratings  ·  4,211 reviews

Amy Harmon
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don't review books I don't like. I'm an author and I think there should be some professional courtesy among authors. If you don't like a book and you write books, especially in the Indie community, it is always better to just politely say nothing at all. I know when other authors rate my books poorly and write a critical review it always ticks me off and, frankly, feels a little suspect. Sorry. Just my opinion. SO! Having said that, please believe me when I say, this book rocked and I have no ...more
Christy
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 ‘by the mighty power of Thor’ stars!!!

photo 43dde3d6-0f73-4001-9fff-9a8129d418ac_zps82f0b8e8.jpg

Neanderthal Seeks Human really is a smart romance. Smart, funny, sexy and all around wonderful! I listened to this on audio and towards the end found myself doing extra housework and keeping busy just so I could finish it! It was one of those addictive reads I didn’t want to put down!

Janie Morris is one of those heroines you want to be BFF’s with. She’s quirky, intelligent, hilarious and just so fantastically random. Janie has been having a rough time. A
Candace
Heartwarming And Hilarious

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. 'Neanderthal Seeks Human' was a sweet, laugh-out-loud, romance. I was smiling like a loon while I listened to this story during my daily commute. I'm sure the other drivers thought I was off my rocker.

Right from the start, I felt like I had been pulled into Janie's orbit. She isn't your typical heroine. In fact, she's kind of weird...but in a totally endearing way. Always rambling on about some little known, and often irrelevant, fact,
Becky
The thing I HATE about romance books on Goodreads is they always receive this insanely high star rating that is not at all accurate (50 Shades)! It makes me soooo mad!

photo Creedyoushutup_zpscc0bdf31.gif

No, wait, let me calm down and go over the things I liked:
1. It wasn't too bad insta-love which was unusual for how cheesy this whole novel actually was.
2. The protagonist could have been interesting. In a way she was very unique and different.
3. Okay...well I guess that was all I got.

Things I hated:
1. The writing was awful. Gram
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Apr 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ by: GR

DNF 64% : This kind of book reminds me why I barely read chick-lit anymore. I mean, I could probably finish it, but then my Kindle would be in a great deal of peril I guess. I can't do this.

Exceptionally my list review won't be positive, as in, it's more everything that I DON'T want to find in my romance than anything else.

I certainly don't want a so-called special snow-flake as an heroine with whom I enter in OH COME ON territory right away.

She thinks she's not attractive, while she obvious
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*2.5 stars*

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer over here, but with all the hype with this story, I was just expecting... more.

This book is described as a "smart romance," when in reality it is simply the typical trope of the billionaire/millionaire player guy with baggage who doesn't want to settle down for anyone but makes an exception for his special snowflake, who happens to be a naive, virgin-esk young girl. (aka, Fifty Shades of Grey) And Jane is too tall (!) with too big of a butt and boo
Duchess Nicole
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Duchess Nicole by: ★Jennifer★ aka PHER

This was SUCH a fun read. Funny, funny, funny, with a side of nerdy humor and a few little twists that keep the story interesting, it was hard to put down.

Janie is one of the quirkiest and most unforgettable characters. She's super smart but not socially savvy. She loves designer heels and has a constant run of trivial facts running through her overactive brain that she ends up spouting when she's nervous. The book starts out on the worst day in her recent memory, the day she catches her longti
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
3 long winded stars

Mild Spoilers ahead

I really thought I would like Neanderthal Seeks Human more than I did. All my friends loved it and here I am again the minority, because I really didn't get into this read. I read some reviews that said this book was so funny, but I didn't laugh, not once. I kept wondering if I was reading the same books as everyone else. It's not that I hated the book, because I didn't. I sat after reading this book for 12 hours to try to figure out why I just didn't conn
ღFloღ the coffee addict
4 **Hotty McHotpants** STARS

“Men should come with manuals, subtitles, and reset buttons.”

I'm still smiling. So adorable and cute and funny and weird. A really fantastic read or listen if you will. I did a little mix of ebook and audiobook here and it was delightful. The narrator had an amazing voice and I really enjoyed listening to her. I actually lost quite a few hours over the last two days being sucked into Janie's world and I don't regret one second of it.

Neanderthal Seeks Human was my
Mo
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sir Handsome McHotpants

This was a fun read. Some LOL moments. A quirky, nerdy, shy girl and a sexy, hot alpha male.

You are beautiful even if you don’t believe it

Some misunderstandings along the way.

THERE IS SOMETHING SPECIAL ABOUT CHICAGO ... (THIS ONE'S FOR YOU, MIRJANA)

A great bunch of friends

It means my brain finds you more interesting than all the really interesting trivial facts I could be contemplating or researching at present

Belle Aurora
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I told Penny that I was reading her book, *chuckles* she flipped out! And I really have NO IDEA why! She was all "This might not be the book for you. She is very awkward and nerdy. Don't feel bad if you don't like it..."

*Insert hysterical laughter here*

Seriously! WHAT A FREAKING GREAT BOOK!!! This was not a 4.5 star read for me...It was a straight out 5!

I'll tell you exactly what I liked about this book.
Firstly, Janie. How on earth can you not fall in love with this lady??!
She reminded me s
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.75 really cute stars!!!

“She said I owned the clothes of a radiologist and the shoes of an OBGYN; which is like the medical doctor equivalent of saying that I dressed like a librarian with a propensity of fuckmeboots.”

photo neanderthal seeks human.png

This is my second Penny Reid book and it was a lot of fun! I had originally only read The Hooker and the Hermit, and now it's very clear to me who wrote what in that book now that I've read books by both authors.

Neanderthal Seeks Human is about Janie who just broke up wit
Catarina
5 Fluffy and Warm Stars!

Describe what I felt about this book in one sentence it’s pretty easy:

Okay.
So, Janie had a pretty bad day. She lost her job, her home and found out her long-time boyfriend is a cheater. So yeah, not a sunny day for her.
Enters Quinn. He got her an interview and she has now a new job, a new house… a new friendship with Quinn.
But somehow along the way that friendship starts to grow into something more and is time to bring back the secrets, fears and ghosts from the past
Bibi
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-author
Penny is an amazing author and while NSH isn't her best work, it's still fun and easy to read. Deducted a star bc I really dislike fade-to-black sex scenes and this book had FOUR!
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy | Foxy Blogs by: Amy Harmon
Finding out what your favorite author likes to read is like getting a sneak peek into their brain. When I saw Amy Harmon sharing her love for this book I knew I had to read it. I love when authors endorse books.

description

Oy vey! Janie is having the "Worst. Day. Ever. It was, no pun intended, an extremely sh*tty day." Her boyfriend cheated on her, she lost her job and now she's stuck in the bathroom with no toilet paper. Our nerdy girl is down on her luck. And to top it off our hero- Sir McHotpants escorts
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

➦Super late to the party here but, ever since reading the 6th book in this series and loving it, I've decided to finally get through all of the installments. So yeah, here I go, 4 years too late. lol

➦One thing I do notice with Penny Reid is her love for quirky and somewhat socially awkward characters. They are, of course, endearing and totally hilarious. This heroine here is like a walking talking encyclopedia and doesn't fail to recite interesting, albeit totally useless to the subject at hand
Tamara
Smart romance my ass.

Too fucking cheesy.

I've started reading this out of boredom but ended up feeling even more bored. How the hell that happened? The only highlight of my day was seeing Avengers Age of Ultron with my friends but even that cant cure what what this book causing: TOTAL BOREDOOM.

The book starts with insta lust, continues with insta lust and oh there's also a bit of insta-love going on. Even worse; the main character is one of the most cluelesst, naive and annoying heroines I've see
Penny Reid
Jan 17, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)

How many of you are on Radish?! For those who don't know what the heckerino I'm talking about, Radish is an app available for mobile users to read serialized stories.

I'm going to be putting my entire back list up on there and eventually have some exclusive content :-O

They currently have a summer reading challenge going on that includes Neanderthal Seeks Human! Read a total of 150 episodes of any of the stories in the Summer Reading List collection and win 50 coins! You can use these coins to unl
S.M. West
5 "You've made me fearless."
"And you've make me a good guy."
STARS

Yes, I do declare that I love Penny Reid. This is my third book that I've read by Penny and I must say, I am totally captivated and smiling like a dork as I read her books. Even the sad, dangerous or angry moments!

Janie Morris is quirky, dorky, awkward and simply adorable!

"Everything about her was unexpected and unique. She was my bright light of eccentricity in a very predictable and ordinary world. She made everything interesti
Sabrina
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Currently on sale!
Amazon US * Amazon UK

Neanderthal Seeks Human is a sweet and humorous story about two characters that are complete opposites and very unique in their own way. I honestly don't think I've read a book before where a Hero was as silent as Quinn, but it worked for his character. And even though there wasn't a ton of dialogue with him I still felt like I knew him really well. Without a lot of words and fanfare Quinn let Janie know how much he wanted her ans how much he cared for her.
Beverly
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Neanderthal Seeks Human is a witty romance story about Janie Morris and Quinn McHotpants Sullivan.

We first meet Janie on the worst day of her life, it began with her finding out her fiancé cheated on her, breaking her heel on the way to work, getting fired from her job and worst of all: running out of toilet paper in her former companies restroom. If all this happened to me I would be devastated but listening to Janie recount her horrible day had me laughing out loud at how funny she is.

On this
Wendy'sThoughts
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Penny Reid Fans, Knitting In the City, Romance
5 Just Great...No...Really, It Is Stars
* * * * * Spoiler Free-FREE for a Limited Time!
In the past, when I have been emotionally taken by the writing of an author... I have written blatant love letters to them. If I felt indulgent, I would do that now... I would write and talk about how much I love this story, the author and call it a day.

But, this time I will attempt to talk about the intense feelings and realizations I had while reading this book.

I will set the stage by mentioning this was n
4.5 LOVE Quinn Sir Handsome McHotpants STARS!!!!

photo imagejpg1_zpsfeb22641.jpg

I love my ROMCOM stories and "Neanderthal Seeks Human" had me laughing and swooning in equal measure.
Janie Morris is having a day from hell.
She just broke up with her boyfriend, after having found out he cheated on her.
The heel of her show broke off on a sewer grate.
Spilled coffee on her favorite blouse and she's just lost her job due to downsizing.
To top the day she is having, she's being escorted out of the office by the HOT security guard she h
♡Karlyn P♡
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014

3.5 "What Did I Just Read?!" Stars

This book was hilarious... and odd... and funny... and weird... and nutty... and, well I am still wrapping my brain around it.

Let's start with the players

Janine...a.k.a. Neanderthal,...a.k.a. Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs:
Janine is a socially inept, oblivious, gullible, overly analytic moron-slash-genius. Her IQ is off the charts, but her sexual experience level is minimal and she is often clueless to what is really happening around her. She secretly is burning for t
Sarina Bowen
I know I'm super late to the party on this one but it's great and I'm glad I finally made the time!
Ingie
Written April 10, 2015

3.8 Stars - Hilarious funny and sweet "romcom" with a wacky heroine I never will forget

This was a Kindle freebie some time ago and it was possible to add a low-priced "whispersynk for voice" audiobook (just $2.30). After reading a lot of happy reviews was the 14:20 hrs audiobook narrated by Jennifer Grace mine too.
 photo 90452c2d-c479-4aae-a1de-29707fdbe0d6_zpsy76bwuxh.jpg

‘I decided, as I succumbed to sleep, that men should come with manuals, subtitles, and reset buttons.’

A quick satisfied tap-dance...
Besides the large number of
Em Lost In Books
Reread and it was so much fun as I know how the relationship of Quinn and Janie evolves in next six books. They are weird and misfit but they gel perfectly together.
Hannah G
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall I'm rating this book 3.75 stars. This was my first book by the author and I ended up enjoying this. Janie was hard for me, as the book went on I liked her less and less. She was very judgemental and liked to label people. What I did like about her was her random factoids and overall her charater was well developed. Quinn was the perfect man for this book. I liked his character and he made this read 100s of times better. The romance in this book was lacking a tad. I felt that the relation ...more
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️
3.5 Stars... This was definitely a little more on the "chick-lit" side of the romance spectrum than I typically prefer; but I knew that going in, so I really can't complain.

Full review later...

Already stalking the next book in the series, because I'm on a Reid roll...

Christie«SHBBblogger»
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Christie«SHBBblogger» by: Jennifer
To all Bridget Jones fans out there... this book may be for you.

It has several similarities:

A LOVEABLE, SOCIALLY INEPT HEROINE (I say this in bold, shouty, all caps because she is the star of this book. She stole the show for me. She is unique, fascinating, hilarious, endearing, and sometimes awkward and embarrassing.)

A hero who likes her "just as she is"
charm
wit (probably the wittiest I've read all year)
laugh out loud humor

“You’re very big,” he said.
I gave him a cursory smile, “Yes. I ate all
  • A is for Alpha Male (A is for Alpha Male #1)
  • Running Barefoot
  • Must Love Otters
  • The Story Guy
  • The Chocolate Temptation (Amour et Chocolat, #6)
  • The Hooker and the Hermit (Rugby, #1)
  • Confessions of an Alli Cat (The Cougar Chronicles, #1)
  • Charmed (Friends and Lovers Trilogy, #2)
  • Artistic License
  • Wanderlust (Modern Love Story, #3)
  • The Dex-Files (Experiment in Terror, #5.7)
  • Kiss the Bride (Amour et Chocolat, #0.5)
  • Beating Ruby (Spotless, #2)
  • Lumberjack in Love
  • Color of Forgiveness (Color, #2)
  • Heaven and Hell (Heaven and Hell, #1)
  • Heller (Heller, #1)
  • Futures and Frosting (Chocolate Lovers, #2)
Sign up for the newsletter of awesome: www.pennyreid.ninja/newsletter

Penny Reid is the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Best Selling Author of the Winston Brothers, Knitting in the City, Rugby, and Hypothesis series. She used to spend her days writing federal grant proposals as a biomedical researcher, but now she just writes books. She’s also a full time mom to three diminutive

Knitting in the City (7 books)
  • Friends Without Benefits (Knitting in the City, #2)
  • Love Hacked (Knitting in the City, #3)
  • Beauty and the Mustache (Knitting in the City, #4; Winston Brothers, #0.5)
  • Happily Ever Ninja (Knitting in the City, #5)
  • Dating-ish (Knitting in the City, #6)
  • Marriage of Inconvenience (Knitting in the City, #7)
“« Quote of the day: “Friendship is like peeing your pants; everyone can see it but only you can feel it».” 149 likes
“You make me want to be less of an asshole.” 80 likes