Start by marking “A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)

A Bear Called Paddington

(Paddington Bear #1)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  72,622 ratings  ·  1,264 reviews
Paddington Bear had traveled all the way from Darkest Peru when the Brown family first met him on Paddington Station. Since then their lives have never been quite the same...for ordinary things become quite extraordinary when a bear called Paddington is involved.
©1958, 1986 Michael Bond; (P)2005 HarperCollins Publishers, Inc.
Audiobook, Narrated by Stephen Fry
Published March 29th 2005 by Harper Audio (first published December 1st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about A Bear Called Paddington, please sign up.
Desiree Harster https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peru

Perú is a country in South America. To the west it has the Pacific Ocean and to the East has the Amazonian Forest, which would be the "Darkest Perú" of the Paddington tales. Nevertheless, Perú forests have no bears at all. Its fauna has deers, pumas, birds as guacamayos among others. South America has only one kind of bear which lives in the highlands.
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremarc... (less)

·  72,622 ratings  ·  1,264 reviews

Start your review of A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
Manny
ABearCalledPaddington

Okay Goodreads Recommendation Engine, I know you're just trying to get us into trouble again... but it'll be fun! I'm in. And bring a jar of marmalade.
Lisa
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
"Mum, do you remember when we read aloud each night?"

How many years did we spend, my three children and I, unwinding after a day of toddler, preschool or primary school adventures, by reading for an hour and a half together, cuddled up in a mess of arms and legs and stacks of books for different tastes and levels of understanding?

Remembering those days fills me with inner exhaustion and absolute bliss at the same time. There were a few books that caught all children's interests at once while
Bradley
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, 2019-shelf
So. Yeah. I read this to my kiddo on the assumption it would be nice and wholesome and, above all, CUTE.

I suppose it fits the bill. In a way. In an old generation way. In one of those generations that are sleeping the nice comfy warm dreams of the ever-cozy and drowsy lives that can accept only a tiny little smidge of fantasy in their staid, solid, middle-class English suburbia.

I had to stop the book about ten times with my daughter because either she or I fell asleep on it.

It may be very cute
Alex
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
The entire plot of every Paddington story is he loses a sandwich.
Jessica
When the first trailer for that awful-looking Paddington movie appeared, my kids asked about Paddington and I described him in glorious detail and then I . . . realized something. I knew that Paddington was a book, I had always known this. But I had never read it! My experience with Paddington as a child was limited to the wonderful cartoon, which used to play on the early Disney Channel. If you're not familiar with the Paddington cartoon, you really must find it! the people are hand drawn, with ...more
Trish
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The classic children's book about a silly little bear from Peru that is picked up at Paddington Station by a British family.

Paddington isn't his actual name but nobody can pronounce his Peruvian one correctly, or so he says. Therefore, his new family is naming him, resulting in the quirky name so many generations of children have come to know and love.
After his aunt is in a home for elderly bears, he is sent on his journey to England because his aunt expects him to have a better life there. And
Sandy
This summer, I am attempting to balance my reading with some lighter fare. This is the perfect antidote to the intensity of the winter's books. Fun, frolicking, fantasy! What a wonderful bear!
Sita
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, childrens, reviewed
Wow. And I mean WOW.

description

This is a childrens book, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone now, but it is a good book I cant say I would recommend it to anyone now, but for children it is a fun, exciting read. I was in love with Paddington; I wished my parents would find a bear like that at the train station.

Mr Brown coughed loudly. It doesnt seem a very exciting story, he said, impatiently.
He reached across and poked Paddington with his pipe. Well I never, he said, I do believe hes fallen asleep!

GoldGato
Dear Mr. Paddington,

I am writing this to you. And I hope that you will read it so you know. I guess I'm just another fan of yours, but I thought I'd write and tell you so.

You made me love you. I didn't want to do it. No. I didn't want to do it. You made me love you, and all the time you knew it. I'm fairly sure you knew it. You made me happy, sometimes you made me glad. But there were times, sir, you made me feel so mad.

I think you're grand, that's true. Yes I do. Indeed I do. You know you made
Joey T
I absolutely ADORE Paddington ❤❤ ...more
Chrissie
This is a story for a child, not for the adult reading to a child. It comes nowhere near A.A. Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh stories. Isnt it best when both the child and adult get a kick out of the shared reading experience?

The writing is ordinary, as is the content of the stories. What is drawn is a childs world. A day at the beach, a birthday party, doing magic tricks. For a child, there may very well be delight in the ordinary. An inordinate number of calamities arise, all due to unintentional
Steven Walle
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good children's book. I remember it from my childhood. It is a very cute little story.

Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Steven
Luisa Knight
Oh. my. cuteness!

This book has entered into my top favorites for young kids and books to recommend for family read-alouds. The narrative was top notch and as smooth and as delectable as sweet cream. And Paddington and the Brown family: simply the nicest, most endearing host of characters you'd ever want to know.

Read it. You and your kids will LOVE it!

Ages: 5+

Cleanliness: for goodness' sake, goodness gracious, Mercy, Gosh, and Crikey are used. Mentions a man smoking a pipe. Paddington tries to
Loren Johnson
I had my first taste of Paddington Bear when I was 7 years old and read the first story. I loved it then and I still love it now. It's always nice to revisit childhood classics - and this is definitely one I'm glad I picked up again. It's like when you rewatch a kids movie that you haven't seen since you were young - you pick up on so many things that you didn't notice back then. I don't care that I am 21, I love this story. Michael Bond was a truly gifted man, and deserved his Paddington ...more
Christina
We meet Paddington for the first time at Paddington station where he sits, small and lonely, on his suitcase, wondering what to do after having travelled all the way from Darkest Peru in a lifeboat, surviving on a jar of marmelade.
Luckily, he meets the Browns who take him in, feed him, care for him - and help him whenever he gets into trouble.
I think the highest recommendation I can give for this book and for sweet little Paddington is, that I made my boyfriend laugh so hard he cried just by me
Kathryn Ford
Apr 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
So I read this book for my bookclub RECS... and no it wasn't someone else who chose it, it was me!!! :D

I really wish that Paddington had been introduced to me as a child, because even as an adult the cuteness got to me. There are 8 stories in this collection. My favourites were when Paddington screwed up the Underground, when he went shopping and the story with the painting. It was all very amusing, and just took me back to innocent times in my life. If you're a parent, then please introduce
Chinook
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europe, kids
I really thought this was going to be a picture book when I borrowed it from the library, but it ended up being considerably longer than expected and quite delightful. Its funny that Ive bought a Paddington Bear from the station once but had never read the books. ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Paddington Bear is a much-loved children's character from the 50s, but not one I precisely grew up with. I always knew about Paddington, but mostly because of my older sisters. I don't remember seeing the show (I'm pretty sure there was a cartoon) or reading the books. What I do remember is this story:

When I was about thirteen, we mated our kelpie sheepdog, Tess, with another farmer's kelpie. We got two male pups. One of my older sisters named them: one was called Paddington, the other, Bear.
Sheila Beaumont
A Bear Called Paddington is a delightful, hilarious read for all ages. Yes, for all ages, not just children.

Oxford don Katherine Rundell has written a new book titled Why You Should Read Children's Books, Even Though You Are So Old and So Wise. One series she especially recommends is Paddington, which she says has a built-in structure of hope. No matter how disastrous Paddington's misadventures seem to be, they are just minor cogs in the miraculous thing that is life, and everything turns out
Veronika
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know I am ages late, but I completely fell in love with this little bear.

I watched both movies few weeks ago and then talked about them so much that my sister got me the Paddington book for my birthday (she is a treasure, I know <3 ).

And it was sooo cute :) Paddington completely stole my heart. It is primarily book for younger children, but I loved it in my 29 and I am sure I will love it later. I can't wait to read this book to my future children.

All the love for Paddington Brown.
Casey (caseydillabooks)
Where has Paddington been all my life? Hillarious antics, a heart of gold, and a lot of marmalade. Love it.
Jon
Check out Scott Reads It for reviews, giveaways & more!

When I was a child, I was never introduced to Paddington Bear and there was one bear in my life and that was Winnie The Pooh. It wasn't until I saw promotions for the upcoming Paddington movie that I decided I needed to see what I had missed out on as a child. This is the type of book that I would've loved when I was younger -- the type of book that would get reread and reread until all of the pages became frayed and bent out of shape.
Rachel
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to revisit this book after enjoying the recent films. I found it a charming read, with adventure, surprises and comic moments. A useful read for people of today, as it tells the story of how Paddington comes to live in a foreign country not understanding how things work, but is taken in and shown great kindness by the Brown family. He has excellent manners, speaks good English and always means well ( although numerous disasters occur). Therefore, everyone invariably grows to love him ...more
Cute and fun but I still prefer Winnie-the-Pooh over Paddington bear. Why am I comparing the two? Probably because they are both sweet, clean, classical, type reads about bears. I've always loved Winnie-the-Pooh though, the charm to the stories, and all of the lovable characters. This felt a little boring in comparison; at least that's what I kept kept thinking while I was listening to the audio. This would be a fun audio or read aloud for kids though. My girls had fun listening to it while I ...more
Shawn Mooney (Shawn The Book Maniac)
In memory of the author who died yesterday, I gave my first Paddington book a try. It didn't go so well. I hate children's literature but I am in my sixth decade so give me a break. LOL. I think I'll pull the Ted movie DVD off the shelf and enjoy it instead. ...more
Rasheed
Found it funny when I was a kid.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
A very sweet story. I absolutely see why this has been popular for so long and why it's been made into films and shows. Even in novel form, it consists of episodes. Enjoyed this for the found family aspect, as they adopt Paddington into their family and love him unreservedly even when he gets caught up in scrapes. The "darkest Peru" thing struck me as really weird, but otherwise this was a really fun listen.
Mark Donoghue
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picked this classic up at Paddington Station while in London. It's really such a charming little book that literally had me laughing out loud at points.
Sonia Jarmula
Perfectly charming. Paddington really is an institution. So good to revisit.
evelina
So cute!
The Better Bear: Winnie-the-Pooh vs. Paddington 2 11 Dec 06, 2019 08:26PM
Goodreads Librari...: Page Number Request 3 15 Sep 25, 2017 10:24AM
Goodreads Librari...: Accurate or alternate cover to add 7 19 Apr 03, 2016 02:38PM

• Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • The Complete Adventures of Curious George
  • The Complete Tales
  • The Story of Babar (Babar, #1)
  • The Real Mother Goose
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1-4)
  • The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh, #2)
  • Too Cool for Rules (Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked)
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • Little Bear (Little Bear, #1)
  • Stuart Little
  • Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1)
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Matilda
  • Pippi Longstocking
  • The Borrowers (The Borrowers, #1)
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
Michael Bond, CBE was an English children's author. He was the creator of Paddington Bear and wrote about the adventures of a guinea pig named Olga da Polga, as well as the animated BBC TV series The Herbs. Bond also wrote culinary mystery stories for adults featuring Monsieur Pamplemousse and his faithful bloodhound, Pommes Frites.

Paddington Bear (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • Paddington Helps Out (Paddington, #3)
  • Paddington Abroad (Paddington Bear, #4)
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • Paddington Marches on (Paddington, #6)
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • Paddington Goes to Town (Paddington, #8)
  • Paddington Takes the Air (Paddington, #9)
  • Paddington On Top (Paddington, #10)
  • Paddington Takes the Test (Paddington, #11)

Articles featuring this book