Start by marking “The Hell with Love: Poems to Mend a Broken Heart” as Want to Read:
The Hell with Love: Poems to Mend a Broken Heart

The Hell with Love: Poems to Mend a Broken Heart

This collection of poems expresses the anger, hurt, depression of loss: that asks why, analyses rifts and strives for explanation: and that builds resolve, envisions a future and revels in the present.
Published December 2nd 2005 by Warner Books (NY) (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Hell with Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hell with Love

La Petite Américaine
Sep 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Poetry Fans
Shelves: kicked_ass
Picked this up in 2003 when I was bitter about my first love coming to an end. As I started reading, I realized that this was not some silly little chick-lit book of sappy guys-suck rants, but one of the best poetry anthologies I've ever read. It includes some moving verses by May Swenson, along with William Carlos Williams, Margaret Atwood, Donne, Auden, and good ol' Bill Shakespeare.

This book won't mend a broken heart, as it claims. If you want to do that, slash the dude's tires and sleep with
Tara
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
A mediocre collection. The curators of the collection clearly had a couple of favorite poets that re-appeared time and again through the book, and even some of my own favorite poets or pieces seemed shoe-horned into the categories for their assigned chapter. I took to skipping the chapter intros, as it felt too much like when someone spends ten minutes telling you all the things their favorite song makes them feel. If it's a good song, let me draw my own conclusions.
C.
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting collection of poetry about sadness and lost love. A great way to experience various poets. My issue was the profane language in a couple of poems. Not a book that I would read again, and not one I could recommend for my mother or friends. I do think others would enjoy it.
Meenakshisankar M
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The poems are collected are organized under different feelings and emotions the person who has lost in love would go through in the aftermath of it. Many poems were interesting but I also liked the editors’ commentary that contributed to a lot of insightful reading.
Shoola Oyindamola
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Witty and attention hooking. Best part is when they explain the poems.
Apr 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I bought this book in my 20's because the black cover with pastel candy hearts declaring, "THE HELL WITH LOVE" seemed so giddily and ironically and self-consciously emotionally confused as to be irresistible. It elicited a kind of geeky, quirky, pathetic chortle - don't you instantaneously want to protect something you are so embarrassed to be curious about, that places its vulnerability so completely on display, and that (worst of all) you might potentially (or even probably) identify with?

Annie
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh, wow. I picked this book up from the library on a whim, and didn't think too much of it at the time. I'm leaving for France tomorrow (well, it's 3 am, so later today really), and right before bed I decided I wanted to read something to help me sleep. I didn't realize how much I needed this book. (I'm not over him yet.)

It's one of those books whose charm is pretty situational, but I don't think that should necessarily devalue my review. There were certain poems I just identified with so
Megan Gray
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The number one best book of poetry I've ever come across. Years ago, I was lucky enough to have my best friend in B&N with me right after a messy broken engagement that left me a complete wreck. She picked out this book for me and I fell in love with anger, the angst, and the terrible beauty of it immediately. The second part of the book's title says it all very truthfully - these are poems to mend a broken heart.
Syvannah Tewes
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book came to me at a time I needed it most, I had just been dumped by my first boyfriend, and was having a horrid time dealing with it. I've shared it with best friends, thrown it across the room in rage, and held it tightly sobbing like the angsty teenager I was at the time. And now, 12 years later, I still turn to this little black book, thumb to my favorite poems and read.
Clarice
May 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I just picked this up on a whim when I saw it on the library staff's picks for the month. I didn't like how at the beginning of each chapter the authors tried to "explain" how the poetry fit the different stages of breaking up. I only pushed myself to finish it because I wanted to read something else next.
Lisa
May 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is by far the most contemporary take on the painful experience of heartbreak that I've found. Broken up into stages- Rage, Sadness, Self-Hatred, False Hope, Resolve, Relapse, Real Hope and Moving On, it contains a few poems in each vein that actually dare to point out the messiness, the deep emotions, the anger and dark side of love.
Jul 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the broken-hearted
This cute little poetry is the perfect thing when you are going through a breakup or have been dumped. All the emotions are there--anger, rage, sadness. My friend John has a poem in this book. It would be a good gift book for a birthday or a pick-me-up.
Heather
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has poetry broken down into all the processes of a heartbreak. This is one of my favorite poetry books, because of the actual healing it helps you with. This is the best book if your heart is broken.
Natasha LeAnn
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, poetry
Not my favorite collection. I kind of expected something differently. So, maybe if I had gone into it not thinking about what I'd be getting I would have liked it more.

Too many repeated poets. I would have preferred a bigger selection.
Lisa
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This wonderful collection of poems helps a reader combine the stages of grief with a breakup through the art of poetry. The title is a bit misleading since the last section is more about hopeful poetry. But either way, fantastic collection.
LemontreeLime
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
well... this is okay, but i suspect its meant for a different reader. I started to feel the selections weren't as inspired, and were awfully 20th-century-centric, instead of being lost in the beauty or profundity of the poems. But this might be just the ticket for somebody else.
Nikki Nielsen
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
I started reading this simply because it features Robert Frost but I ended up really liking it. It covers emotions you feel when 'broken hearted' anger, resentment, denial, then moves into funny poems with hope for the future. Cute book.
Katie
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a present after I went through a hard break up. These poems really helped me through a hard time because I could connect with the poets. The poems go through a range of emotions typically felt after a break up, and they really hit the nail on the head.
Daisy
Jun 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
this is a funny book that keeps up with your stages of what feel after a long break up it has some great poems that help u cherish memories, as well as to get over the significant other that u loved so much.
astried
Shut it. I don't care how cliche it is. I need this book & will buy it after the library lending time is over.
Traci
Apr 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book is excellent. A collection of poems for every stage of getting out of love. My favorite poem out of it is called "Promises for sons".
Mizloo
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tiny little book, but great poetry included. One in particular was unfamiliar and very timely.
Suzanne
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
The poems are fine. The commentary is not.
Colleen
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A great little collection of poems. I return to it time and time again.

Jen Lawrence
This book is an absolute gem. I read it years ago and give it to everyone I know going through a bad breakup.
Melissa May
Jan 02, 2020
Shawn Finfrock
Apr 23, 2018
Christine
Jan 06, 2012
Leslie
rated it did not like it
Jan 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Keto Diet for Beginners: TOP 51 Amazing and Simple Recipes in One Ketogenic Cookbook, Any Recipes on Your Choice for Any Meal Time
  • Warrior Goddess Training: Become the Woman You Are Meant to Be
  • The Complete Ketogenic Diet for Beginners: Your Essential Guide to Living the Keto Lifestyle
  • Half Baked Harvest Super Simple: More Than 125 Recipes for Instant, Overnight, Meal-Prepped, and Easy Comfort Foods: A Cookbook
  • Chinese Astrology: Ancient Secrets for Modern Life
  • PCOS for Dummies
  • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: The Poetry of Mister Rogers
  • I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree: A Memoir of a Schindler's List Survivor
  • An Unlikely Journey: Waking Up from My American Dream
  • Well-Read Black Girl: Finding Our Stories, Discovering Ourselves
  • Rebels Against Slavery: American Slave Revolts
  • The Greatest You: Face Reality, Release Negativity, and Live Your Purpose
  • Beneath the Tamarind Tree: A Story of Courage, Family, and the Lost Schoolgirls of Boko Haram
  • Book of Rhymes: The Poetics of Hip Hop
  • Go Free or Die: A Story about Harriet Tubman
  • Dissenter on the Bench: Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Life and Work
  • Time Out (Missing collection)
  • Beating Asthma. Seven Simple Principles