Start by marking “The Judas Coin” as Want to Read:
The Judas Coin

The Judas Coin

This centuries-spanning original graphic novel from legendary writer/artist Walter Simonson cleverly ties the Biblical story of Judas to the DC Universe. Simonson shows how one of the silver coins Judas was paid to betray Jesus has had an impact on the DC Universe, with chapters starring The Golden Gladiator (70 A.D.), The Viking Prince (900 A.D.), Captain Fear (1740) and ...more
Published November 12th 2013 by DC Comics (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Judas Coin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Judas Coin

Nicolo Yu
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is not a perfect graphic novel; there are only certain chapters that I enjoyed. But since Goodreads' rating system is enjoyment-based and it always a joy to get new work from Walter Simonson, this gets an easy five stars from me.

I have to hand it to Simonson; he certainly did not just handed this one but made it into a challenge for his skills. The future chapter, he adopts a mangaesque art style and it shows this guy isn't willing to rest on his laurels.
Sam Quixote
Sep 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is NOT a Batman book. I know he’s featured prominently on the cover, along with Two-Face, but the two characters are in the book for a handful of pages before disappearing. I understand why DC did this, because Batman sells, but it is misleading.

I thought this was going to be - as strange a concept as it sounds - a weird origin story for Two-Face’s coin, the one he flips to decide the fate of his victims. But it turns out The Judas Coin isn’t even that lame! Instead, this is the story of o
Matt Hawkins

I did not like this book the first time I read it...but I kept thinking about it. I reread it and have fallen in love with certain chapters. The last "SCI-FI" chapter is pretty ridiculous but I love all the historic stuff. Worth reading for that alone.
Alice Urchin
This was a very ambitious project. I was impressed that Walter Simonson did all of the writing, drawing, lettering, and coloring himself.
The art and coloring were well done. He fits so much into each panel. Also the art style changed a little bit for some of the vignettes. The last vignette takes place in 2087, and the art resembled a very colorful manga. It was kind of cool. Most of the changes in are more subtle than that, though. Some of them don't really change at all.
The writing for the v
Neil Ottenstein
An interesting set of stories from Walt Simonson. Lots of great art throughout with some characters that haven't seen the light of day in many years. John Workman does the lettering and there is great art there as well. His lettering is often a special feature in working with Walt Simonson. Strangely enough the Batman story is presented more like a set of black and white Sunday comic strips than conventional comics artwork. It is quite a surprising change from the rest of the book, though each s ...more
Pturingan
Nice concept showcasing the art and storytelling of veteran comics master Walt Simonson. It's basically five short chapters and a prologue, featuring characters from various points in the history of the DC Universe, but all very loosely related.

The Batman story was told in the style of a newspaper strip, which I thought was a nice touch and there's also a nice twist somewhere (I won't say where in the story because it might ruin the surprise for you) which was shocking to me as I tot
sixthreezy
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc, batman
A very grand tale, and ambitious as well. Simonson cannot be credited enough for an amazing piece of work in terms of scale, story-telling, and originality. I really love the concept, and the art on every page is wonderful with plenty of different kinds of lettering. But it just falls short somewhere in execution and clarity... Worth a shot for all Batman fans though! Reads more like an old school comic as well.
Nick Jones
Much better in concept than execution, with parts that are confusing, rushed, or just downright weird. Oddly, the Batman story is the best part, which I actually wouldn't expect from a passion project that features multiple other characters.
Flora
Read for the Stan Lee Excelsior Award 2014 - http://www.excelsioraward.co.uk/

An interesting concept but somewhat lacking in the execution.
Philip
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
A trip through the history of the DC universe. I wish Simonson were doing more these days. He's a good writer, and his art continues to improve. This book is absolutely gorgeous.
David Sparvero
I was so excited to read this because I am such a big fan of the great Walter Simonson. And it had Batman in it! Outside of that fantastic short story Walt did for Batman:Black and White, one never has the privilege to read/see comic material with those two elements together. So naturally I was excited to pick this up.

But alas, I was very saddened by this labor of love by Walt! The concept was great and the page layouts are daring and dazzling (as usual with Walt!) but the actual story was quit
Daniel Taylor
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The only thing this volume is missing is a brief introduction explaining that long-time DC readers have seen *all* of these characters before:
73AD: The Golden Gladiator (Brave and the Bold 1-6)
1000: The Viking Prince (Brave and the Bold 1-24)
1720: Captain Fear (Adventure 425-433, Unknown Soldier 254-256)
1881: Bat Lash (Showcase 76, Bat Lash 1-7)
TODAY: Two-Face (w Batman) (I think you've heard of these guys)
2087: Manhunter 2070 (Showcase 91-93)
The book co
Zachary King
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story is a little thin, more an excuse to let Simonson run loose in the vast chronology of the DC Universe, and that he does exceedingly well, with lushly versatile artwork. The book is strongest in its middle, with Captain Fear and Bat Lash getting strong showings. This book could have been much longer, diving deeper into DC lore, but it's definitely more a Simonson showpiece than a comprehensive history.
Matt Kelland
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
A thoroughly enjoyable story that spans multiple centuries and places, from the Roman era to the Wild West, Batman's Gotham, and outer space. The artwork for each section is in a completely different style, which adds to its appeal.
Duncan
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting take on Judas' 30 pieces of silver. Y'know, nobody ever DID say what happened to them... Funny, I don't REMEMBER having this silver dollar...
Corey Timmins
A strong start with a weak finish. Overall, OK!
Jaime Guzman
The story was okay but I thoroughly enjoyed the art by Walt Simonson. This is another great comic artist that I didn't really appreciate until I was much older.
Andrew
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Any time Walter Simonson writes and draws a new story, it's cause for rejoicing. While I would rejoice more if he were working on his own creations, either his Star Slammers series or something else, I really enjoyed this new graphic novel. By focusing on one of Judas' thirty pieces of silver, and how it affected different people throughout history, Simonson almost gives us a multi-genre collection of short stories, rather than one big story. He also shows us the variety of stories that DC comic ...more
Michael
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Spent about two hours reading this graphic novel. It's short, but there is so much content on the inside. Each panel was meticulously studied. Walt Simonson is one of the few artists around that can do everything... Writing, pencils, inks, lettering... He is the original graphic designer mixed with a comic artist (and badass). Each page is an absolute work of art.

In all honesty, I wish I could have seen these pages without color. It almost seems as though there is a disconnect when f
Frogsterking
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charles
First off this is both an interesting and peculiar anthology centering around one coin. It's not Batman-centric, nor is it really attached to the DC universe. He'll it might not even be canon. It is however a lot of fun and to me at least the art for the first few chapters was really nostalgic and fun. Considering it's from 2012, I enjoyed the throwback art style for the historical chapters. Bat's chapter was alright, and the newspaper setting was a cute touch. Sadly, the epilogue was a real let ...more
Cale
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a case where the execution seems to fail the story. The idea of a cursed piece of silver from Judas has passed down bad luck through history is interesting, but the vignettes rarely do anything with the concept. The stories range over thousands of years, with the modern stories incorporating DC heroes and villains. But again, it doesn't really go very far, the vignettes don't really feel properly related, and the final vignette, Manhunter 2070, just doesn't seem to work at all. The art w ...more
Todd
This is a strange book. It's obviously trying to say something with the story, but I'm not sure what. Betrayal is going to exist as long as humans? Fate is a bitch? I'm not sure.

The art is the highlight. Simonson does some kick-ass action. I'd love to read an entire Western comic drawn by him. Batman should not be on the cover of this book but they need to sell the book and Bats will sale a book.
Dean
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover is a bit misleading as Two-Face, and Batman, are a small part of this story which is actually a collection of short stories following a cursed coin from Roman times, to the future. In fact, I don't believe Batman is even in 10 panels (Bruce is in a few more, but no many).

It is an enjoyable read, with great Simonson art.
Tim
Steven
Not as satisfying as I'd hoped, to be honest. While it was a fun read, it wasn't up to the caliber I'd expected from Walt Simonson.

Then again, each part/piece was so different that it was hard to consider this a serial story beyond the conceit of one of the coins of Judas falling through the hands of Bat Lash, the Viking Prince, Two-Face, etc.
Anthony
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simonson does all of the heavy-lifting in this graphic novel, which follows one of the cursed pieces of silver from the Crucifixion as it travels through history. I was extremely happy to see a Bat Lash story in the mix. The Batman/Two-Face story is an excellent black-white-and-red piece that had many levels of plot to decipher.
Michael
Great artwork. Several short stories are tied together by the Judas Coin, a cursed coin used to pay Judas Iscariot when he betrayed Jesus Christ. The stories are mixed, ranging from so-so to good, with the Bat Lash tale being the best of the bunch. It's a solid book, but for Simonson completists rather than casual fans.
Joel
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I don't know how to rate or review this book. The art is great Simonson work, but I didn't love the story. The writing wasn't bad, but I found myself following the story graphically, not reading the word balloons. That is the opposite of my usual "tune out".
Greg
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever since his incredible work on The Mighty Thor, Walt Simonson has always been a favourite of mine. This story follows the journey of the silver pieces Judas was paid with. From ancient times, to the wild west (woot! Batlash), to modern day Gotham.

• Xombi
  • Suicide Squad, Volume 1: Trial By Fire
  • Crossed, Vol. 2: Family Values
  • Star Trek / Legion of Super-Heroes
  • DC Universe: Legacies
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 10: Term Limits (Ex Machina, #10)
  • Judgment Day
  • Superman: Camelot Falls, Vol. 1
Walter "Walt" Simonson is an American comic book writer and artist. After studying geology at Amherst College, he transferred to the Rhode Island School of Design, graduating in 1972. His thesis project there was The Star Slammers, which was published as a black and white promotional comic book for the 1974 World Science Fiction Convention in Washington, D.C. (DisCon II). Some years later, he prod ...more