Start by marking “Red Lanterns, Volume 3: The Second Prophecy” as Want to Read:
Red Lanterns, Volume 3: The Second Prophecy

Red Lanterns, Volume 3: The Second Prophecy

(Red Lanterns #3)

The Red Lanterns fought amongst themselves in a brutal civil war, but now they must band together against the universal threat of Guardians of the Universe's latest weapon, The Third Army. As battle lines are drawn, Atrocitus and his Red Lanterns seek final vengeance against the Guardians of Oa--but things don't go as planned as The First Lantern turns his formidable gaze ...more
Published November 19th 2013 by DC Comics (first published July 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Red Lanterns, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Lanterns, Volume 3

Start your review of Red Lanterns, Volume 3: The Second Prophecy
Anne
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it

Surprise!
I read another Lantern book!
Shocking, I know. Especially considering how few I've read in the past.
*snort*
Whatever. As long as my library keeps ordering these things, I'll keep reading them.
Pbbbbbt!
So there.

Ok, this thing was pretty thick, so I thought that maybe the title has been cancelled, and they just packed everything into one last volume.
But nope. There's more juicy, juicy Red Lantern drama on the way.

First half of the book was pretty darn good.
You get the full Atr
Sam Quixote
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Of all DC’s Lantern titles, I like Red Lanterns the best - at least, in terms of concept rather than execution. Hateful monsters who spew blood, live off rage and want to kill everything AND have Lantern rings? That should be a slam-dunk of silly fun but Red Lanterns, Volume 3: The Second Prophecy (wait, what was the first prophecy…?) is unfortunately an overlong and boring read.

Most of this book is taken up with the Rise of the Third Army crossover, which was plain rubbish, but even in the non
Mike
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
I skipped right past the first two volumes (I'm told not very good) but wanted a taste of what preceded Charles Soule's run so I grabbed vol 3 off the shelf.

About what I'd expect of a cosmic comic - lots of weird-looking aliens I have never met (and probably not you either), many weird powers that are able to wipe out the whole universe, and a lot of excessive death scenes to make up for the lack of a sufficient number of characters with whom I can empathize.

Whoever came up with the concepts aro
Kyle
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dcu
I just don't find Atrocitus to be a compelling character. All his talk about blood-magic, blood-prophecy, and Inversions and yadda yadda yadda... I couldn't care less. Even less compelling is the new Red Lantern from Earth: what a tired old trope he is. The whole Red Lantern Corps reads to me like a group of cave people beating each other with clubs and rocks.

Maybe if this series was more about Dex-Starr, I would be interested.

However, there is some supplemental material that helps to flesh out
'kris Pung
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Holy endless monologuing Batman I really hope Charles Soule can turn the next volume around.
C.J. Edmunds
John
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Atrocitus has without a doubt arrived.I didnt know much about him before this series began but he possesses everything you could possibly want in a super villain.Excellent origin story and is a very complex character.The other Red Lanterns are awesome as well and by books end you start to wonder how would you turn out if you suffered through what they had.
Robert
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Without reading all of the other Lantern series, the plot is murky at best. (I've read all of the other lantern series, so it wasn't a problem for me...but rabid fans are not the only audience, and should only be catered to so far)
mike andrews
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanos. Darkseid. Atrocitus. He is on par with some of the most ruthless in all comics. His supporting cast of Red Lanterns is awesome too. This is a great series. Going right in to volume 4.
Ben
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
love the first lantern
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
For more reviews and bookish posts please visit: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Red Lanterns Vol. 3: The Second Prophecy by Peter Milligan (illustrated Miguel Sepúlveda) is a graphic which continues the story of the brutal civil war the Red Lanterns (fueled by rage) are fighting. This graphic novel collects issues #0, #13-20, as well as Green Lantern #20.

The red lantern power battery is reignited, but low on power. The Red Lantern Corps goes on a killing rage throughut the universe when the Third Arm
Bob
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great continuation of the story and the drawing wow!!
Mandy
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc, comics, 2018
Andrea
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-new-52
The only issue in this book that's not in other GL books is the zero issue. Huge waste of time for one issue.
Matt Raymond
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I actually like this for some reason, even though gory space horror isn’t even close to a genre I like. I suppose I’m a rage-aholic now. To quote Homer Simpson, “I just can’t live without Rage-ahol!” Maybe because I have so little background knowledge of the Red Lanterns, I find these stories so fascinating. They are oddly deep and complex & I’m kind of surprised by it. Rage is not a singular emotion. It actually has layers that I didn’t think about until now.

Atrocitus has a bit of a rage setbac
Drown Hollum
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhero
Somewhere along the line, I began finding Peter Milligan's overly theatrical dialogue sort of charming. It helps that in this installment of Red Lanterns, Milligan is locked into a conflict and story arc crafted by Geoff Johns, the man behind the GL universe as we know it. Things are a bit spotty, considering the nature of the comic book crossover. We never learn what the third army is and we don't learn much about the first lantern, since that was all reserved for the main GL book. We do get an ...more
Roman Colombo
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc
While I liked a lot of what Milligan was doing, the volume gets a little bogged down by the First Lantern crossover event. The art by Miguel Sepúlveda was still really good, though.

There were also a few character continuity issues with Atrocitus from earlier in the series, but nothing too major.
Cale
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
So DC cancels I, Vampire, but keeps this book going? I'm not saying it's bad, it's actually much better than I expected. But it's so tonally weird - a book about creatures of rage who spend a very large portion of their time navel-gazing. This collection also highlights the weaknesses of crossovers; there's a full issue of Green Lantern in here, seemingly due to 4 pages of Red Lanterns in it, and outside of that it's telling a completely different story (in the middle of another arc). Also, Blee ...more
Victor Orozco
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. A very good set of stories more or less.

After the events of several of the Red Lanterns coming together most of them are attempting to get to work with Atrocitus as they encounter a vicious threat called the Third Army, which eventually leads Atrocitus to journey into a place where he obtains both knowledge of the Guardians as well as the power of the Manhunters.

Rankorr continues to wonder where he should reside. All the while a tie-in to the events involving the First Lantern Volthoom
Dalana Dailey
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such a good collection! I had read a big chunk of the material already in Rise of the Third Army (specifically Eyes Without A Face, Home Is Where The Heart Is, Waking The Past, and Once Were Enemies) but the new material was worth it. The First Lantern is particularly vile, with an evil stemming from the worst place - insecure craving of ultimate power. The End, written by the incomparable Geoff Johns, is the single greatest comic I have ever read, worth the $19.99 price all by itself. If I had ...more
Chris Lemmerman
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Red Lanterns has been mediocre for 12 issues, but it seems that all we needed was an event to make it all better. Without Krona's mind-numbing influence, Atrocitus and his friends can finally get on with their mission of vengeance, whilst the Inversions and the Manhunters make their presence known. The artwork is top notch with the addition of Miguel Sepulveda and Will Conrad, and with the upturn in quality for the story, Red Lanterns is easily the best it has ever been with this volume.
Adam Fisher
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Somehow Atrocitus continues to become a character deeper than rage itself. Rankorr is shaping up to be a very interesting human/rager hybrid. I hope to see him get more involved in other titles. Overall, a good read, getting us through the Wrath of the First Lantern story. Can't wait to see how the Red Lanterns handle the Forever Evil crossover!
sixthreezy
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc, new-52, green-lantern
The Green Lantern The End issue was unfortunately the highlight of this Red Lanterns book. This has fallen off pretty steadily since the very beginning, but I do still find it pretty entertaining. It's a cool read and a different type of Lantern to switch off of the green for a little bit. Definitely recommended for readers of darker heroes that find Green Lantern just a little too nice.
Bradley
Aug 07, 2015 added it
Shelves: comics
I think I really want to like the red lanterns. There are times in these comics that I do enjoy it and I "feel" the rage. However, I'm not so convinced about some of these characters. I dislike the human red lantern. I dislike...well I guess I just have a problem with the characters. I guess I shouldn't be surprised there. It was still a pretty good read though.
B
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
It's weird. They really gave away a lot of the Third Army story in this book, I guess. Like the part where the Red Lanterns just totally drop out and it becomes yet another Hal Jordan/Sinestro story. Not fully sure why that was there.

Nothing about this book was especially exciting, I don't think.
Tomas
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
God I hate first lantern..I read all of the green lantern books and this crossover made me sleepy in all of them. He is tempting people to choose alternative timelines for almost 20 issues ? DAFUQ ? Otherwise this book is fine but I hope I will never see this transparent boredom bringer again.
David
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
This title is better than it's ever been, but too much of the material here, I've read in other recent collections.
Geoff Derks
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Red Lanterns #0, 13-20: 2.5 stars/5
Green Lantern #20 (which is included in this collection): 5 stars!
Daniel Butcher
Dec 21, 2013 rated it liked it
A little bit of the Third Army, a little of the first guardian, and a little of something new called the Inversions.

This is the horror Lantern book.

A deep exploration of Rage and it's value.
Jonathan
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every installment of The Third Army and Fist Lantern is so well thought out and cohesive with the rest. It was also a great look into the character of atrocitus.

• Green Lantern: New Guardians, Volume 1: The Ring Bearer
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians, Volume 4: Gods and Monsters
  • Green Lantern Corps, Volume 1: Fearsome
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws, Volume 2: The Starfire
  • Oblivion Song, Vol. 1
Peter Milligan is a British writer, best known for his work on X-Force / X-Statix, the X-Men, & the Vertigo series Human Target. He is also a scriptwriter.

He has been writing comics for some time and he has somewhat of a reputation for writing material that is highly outlandish, bizarre and/or absurd.

His highest profile projects to date include a run on X-Men, and his X-Force revamp that relaunche

Red Lanterns (6 books)