Start by marking “Aquaman, Volume 3: Throne of Atlantis” as Want to Read:
Aquaman, Volume 3: Throne of Atlantis

Aquaman, Volume 3: Throne of Atlantis

(Aquaman (2011) #3)

Aquaman, who long ago lost contact with his people, must watch as armies emerge from the sea to attack the surface world. The Justice League answers the call to defend the shores from the invading Atlantean horde. But whose side is Aquaman on? With his brother Orm at the head of the undersea army, will Aquaman stand with his Earth-bound superteam? Or his own people?

Collec
Published November 19th 2013 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Aquaman, Volume 3, please sign up.
Sam The book's basically an extended action sequence between aquaman and ocean master featuring the justice league…moreThe book's basically an extended action sequence between aquaman and ocean master featuring the justice league(less)

Start your review of Aquaman, Volume 3: Throne of Atlantis
Jayson
(A-) 80% | Very Good
Notes: It crumbles characters to complexity by catastrophe and costly concessions: couching cultivation in cinematic clamor.
Anne
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Re-read 2016

description

I mainly decided to re-read Johns' entire run because I made my teenage son to read them.
Yeah.
That's right. I forced my kid to read Aquaman comics, because he (like some of you) was making fun of me for my obsession with this character.
So. Since I'm not only his mother, but also an asshole, I picked up all four volumes of this sucker, and plopped them down in front of him.
Me: Read 'em.
Him: Are you serious?
Me: *raises eyebrow*
Him: Alright! Alright! Jesus!

And do you wanna know what
Jan Philipzig
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well, that wasn’t the most organic or convincing story in the world, was it? But I guess that’s beside the point, as long as it results in a war that looks like a cross between the movies Pearl Harbour, 2012 and Piranha. Seriously, where did all the fun and charm from Volume 1 go?
Chad
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Decided to do a re-read after watching Aquaman. Atlantis attacks the surface after some missiles inadvertently hit Atlantis. There are so many great character moments interspersed between epic battles. I loved Superman and Wonder Woman's first date. It was delightful. Amanda Waller trying to recruit Black Manta to the Suicide Squad. How great was that? Cyborg's sacrifice. Theirs so much to love. Johns masterfully reconstructed Orm's character. He's actually a good king protecting his kingdom. I ...more
Bookwraiths
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Damn, Aquaman is a total badass! What the hell alternate reality am I living in?

I have to admit I've never been an Aquaman fan. The whole talking to fish thing wasn't very impressive, but Geoff Johns has worked miracles with this character. The story here was gripping, action-packed, and emotional; the art, meanwhile, was truly breathtaking, doing justice to every one of the great DC characters as well as the undersea world itself.

For whatever it is worth, I'm a huge fan of this Aquaman, as most
Sam Quixote
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
I get it now - Geoff Johns is the comic book Michael Bay! Do you like massive, loud action scenes strung together with a nonsensical “story”? Look no further than Throne of Atlantis, this summer’s blockbuster (s)hit!

Ok, this whole review is going to look into why Throne of Atlantis is one big DUUUUUH so it’s going to be packed with spoilers - if you haven’t read this yet and you’re just looking for a yay or nay review, my answer is: if you’ve enjoyed New 52 Aquaman so far, you’ll like this; if
Eli
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, dc-comics
Another good volume in this series!

I had already read about half of this volume through Geoff Johns' Justice League series but I preferred reading it in the context of Aquaman because it makes more sense and it's easier to be empathetic towards Arthur.

Basically the issues that Atlantis has underwater (and trust me, there are a ton) have exploded onto the surface via subtle manipulations of a character I'm not going to spoil. The complexities of Arthur's character have again shown up here. He fee
Sesana
Oct 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
For most of the time I was reading this book, I was greatly enjoying it. It's a big event, but there's a personal element to it, too: Atlantis invades the surface world, forcing Aquaman to choose sides. And there's plenty of cool stuff going on. It helps that Mera remains ridiculously awesome, and that Aquaman's enemy Black Manta has a scene that makes him so much cooler and more intimidating than I ever would have expected him to be. And there's a really fun scene with Clark teaching Diana how ...more
Daniel
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Hmmm, I don't know.
I liked some bits of it, but for the most part, it was kind of a disappointment to me.
I just don't like it when superhero comics are trying to be too epic.
On the same note, it felt like there were too many things going on simultaneously.

I know it's a nitpick but I would have preferred if the artist, Ivan Reis, would have remained the artist of the series. The new art was kind of distracting to me, not bad per se, just inconsistent.

Verdict: Unfortunately did not click with me.
Gavin
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
OK, so this is unprecedented...Geoff Johns has been involved in a storyline I've enjoyed for 3 volumes in a row...oh, and it's AQUAMAN.

description

The only drawback is that this volume includes some Justice League issues that I've already read and apparently didn't enjoy. So Ya, somehow that Origin issue of Aquaman was much more enjoyable, Arthur accepts who he is, meets Vulko (who's OBVIOUSLY drawn in a way that gives away plenty.....) and returns to Atlantis.

The JL stuff was still kinda dumb, the reserves
Jedi JC Daquis
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
2018 reread:

I've been rereading my Aquaman comics after watching the movie. James Wan's bigscreen adaptation of the DC superhero got many story elements like plots, characters and even some setpieces from this run.

I liked it before, and I still like it now. Throne of Atlantis is the climactic battle Geoff Johns has been building up since the start of his New52 Aquaman run. It offers some mindless popcorn action and entertainment which is well worth your time.

2013 review:

Geoff Johns has again pro
James DeSantis
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I already reviewed 2/3rds of this book with JLA. So I won't go in to great detail on it. I liked the setup issues for the big Throne of Atlantis fight. Just keep in mind shit's about to go DOWN but if you read it in Justice League you might be disappointed.

What I liked: The set up, the war, the brotherly fight. This is everything Aquaman is about. It's truly a amazing arc and one of the best for our young King. The ending is bitter sweet and really sets up the finish for Johns run.

What I didn'
Caitlin
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Geoff Johns is making me into an Aquaman fan, and that is a statement I can safely say I never expected to write.

In volume three, Johns brings in a number of different threads that have been building in the previous volumes and sets in motion a war between Atlantis and the “surface dwellers.” The Dead King’s scepter, capable of sinking entire islands into the ocean, has fallen into the hands of some mysterious Atlantean benefactor and when missiles are suddenly retargeted to fall on Atlantis, it
Chris
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dc-comics
Any Aquaman fan knows just how wrong the "Aquaman sucks" jokes have become, but fortunately writer Geoff Johns makes sure that all the naysayers are missing out on another must-have collection. Throne Of Atlantis is an epic story with incredibly detailed artwork, great characterisation and huge action that rivals any blockbuster movie. Oh, and it crosses over with the Justice League series in style!

After an introductory look at Aquaman's early days, the book introduces key characters and delves
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)

This could have been...would have been a helluva lot better if it hadn't been a bloody cross-over event.

Its what I hate most about Marvel and DC, and why I often find myself giving up on their titles. Why cant we just have self contained stories? Why? WHHHHHY?

I remember when cross-overs were saved for something special. When it was actually an event. Now its just a money grab to make us buy other titles.

Fuck you.

Anyways.

Phew.

After all that...I enjoyed it well enough. I just wish it was all in it
Jesse A
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another very solid volume in a very solid series.
Anthony Sicoli
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc_comics, aquaman
Score: 4.00 out of 5
Grade: 80% (A-) | Great

If you wanted bigger and better, you got it! This volume sees Aquaman teaming up with the Justice League to take down his brother, Orm, and his attack on us land-dwellers. The art was fantastic at displaying the scope of this threat, we get to see some great moments between various pairs of characters, and the conclusion sets up future installments for endless possibilities. Although this volume largely sticks the landing, there is some pacing issues wh
Mike
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Seriously, is Johns getting someone to script his outlines here? It's almost as if the dialogue doesn't suck, and the pacing is quick and sharp, avoiding a lot of the depressingly momentum-arresting monologuing that infects nearly everything he touches.

Aquaman's brother is either the most centred, charming rogue or he's a total snake in the grass narcissistic asslicker, and he's got my attention either way. Either way, the Orm-and-Artie prelude was much better than the Diana-and-orange-tabbie-w
Leo
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, 2015
What do you know, Aquaman suddenly has a brother. Because, I mean, he hasn't been mentioned once before and and he just appears in this volume and it's like: Oh, hi, bro, you forgot your lunch this morning.
I feel like Aquaman is a different comic in every volume. The first one was very laid back, there wasn't much of a threat anywhere. Even Mera had time to trash a store (don't ask me why) so it's not like they had any pressing matters. The second volume introduced us to a bunch of new people a
Kenny
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another excellent title in the Aquaman series Johns. Review to follow.
Robert
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc
I enjoy the collaboration of Johns and Reis quite a bit, their bits are the best parts here...too bad I'd already read them as part of the Justice League: Throne of Atlantis compilation. ...more
Anthony
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital, the-new-52
Another volume of Geoff Johns's Aquaman that I have enjoyed! This time, with added Justice League! ...more
Shannon
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heeeeeyyyyy! Aquaman isn't a joke or sidekick this time around. That alone makes this worth a read.

Better than Volume 2 but not as good as Volume 4 which digs more into Atlantean secret histories.

Watch our hero trounce his cruel brother. See Atlantis go to war against the humans using the sea to drown their cities. See the JLA doubt Aquaman and watch him pushback.

MY GRADE: B plus to A minus.
Miguel
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc
Fantastic. So far Geoff Johns run on Aquaman is perfect. Tho this volume was not so AMAZING as vol 1 and 2. This time we met the justice league! I liked the dynamic between the members!
Also a lot of things in the past 2 volumes colide in this third volume!
Ryan Stewart
This is just Throne of Atlantis repackaged with one extra issue (#0) and a Jason Mamoa cover. It’s still a very good story, but know what you’re getting into.
Kay
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not just Aquaman but with the whole Justice League.
Angie
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I am a little bummed about volume 3 of the Aquaman New 52. I started to read it and only the first few pages were new to me. The entire issue is also in Justice League Volume 3... which I suppose makes sense since it has the same title. I still don't get though why Aquaman didn't get a volume 3 all to himself. His comics have been my favorite so far in the new 52. Honestly though I don't understand why the same story ended up in two comics. I would be pretty ticked if I had bought this. I'll sti ...more
Koen
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
"Speechless, or just a little wet I guess" ... Well, that about sum it up, right?? :S

My god, i was really enjoying Aquaman, till this monstrosity popped up... There was little left to the imagination, unfortunately.. It was all over in a flash - wham bam thank you ma'am...
This cross-over didn't need to be a cross-over in my humble opinion... Why couldn't they just deliver a proper Aquaman solo volume.. It would have been better without The JL butting in.

Hope the next chapter will be picking up
Drew The Reviewer
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Most of this volume was one long showdown that felt way too long. However, the ending was awesome.
Natalie
I'm late to the Aquaman party. Not just this volume and/or series but late to knowing even one thing about Aquaman. I confess that I just saw the movie a few weeks ago.

I know, I know...WHAT ROCK WAS I LIVING UNDER?

I snagged this after watching the movie. I am not ashamed to admit that it was largely due to that smokin' hot bod pretty face on the cover.

Imagine my shock when I realized that Aquaman looks like this and not this.

Image 1: Reality
Image 2. Fantasy

description

I've never preferred blondes. Oh well
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Batman, Volume 3: Death of the Family
  • Aquaman, Volume 5: The Crown Comes Down
  • Wonder Woman, Volume 6: Bones
  • Batman, Volume 4: Zero Year: Secret City
Geoff Johns originally hails from Detroit, Michigan. He attended Michigan State University, where he earned a degree in Media Arts and Film. He moved to Los Angeles in the late 1990s in search of work within the film industry. Through perseverance, Geoff ended up as the assistant to Richard Donner, working on Conspiracy Theory and Lethal Weapon 4. During that time, he also began his comics career ...more

Aquaman (2011) (8 books)