Start by marking “Lucifer, Book Two (Lucifer, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lucifer, Book Two (Lucifer, #2)

Lucifer, Book Two

(Lucifer New Edition #2)

In this second new LUCIFER edition, the Lightbringer is hard at work on a New Creation outside the bounds of any authority but his own, complete with a new pair of inhabitants for a new Garden of Eden. But as he tries his hand at universe building, back on Earth (and in Hell) schemes and betrayals continue to grow.

And in the tale NIRVANA, a beautiful angel with an ancient
Published October 22nd 2013 by Vertigo (first published October 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Lucifer, Book Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucifer, Book Two

Sean Gibson
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mike Carey knows a lot more about Christian theology than I do, but so does any 7-year-old who routinely attends Sunday school. He’s also a lot smarter than I am, but so is any 7-year-old who intermittently attends any kind of school (even a school of fish).

In my review of Vol. 1 of Lucifer, I noted that I wasn’t well steeped in Sandman lore, so am coming at this series with a gap relative to those familiar with Mr. Gaiman’s magnum opus. Over the course of reading both volumes, I’ve found mysel
Bradley
There's very little bad I can say about an epic tome where Lucifer steals the Demiurgic power to create his own universe and allow anyone to stay there as long as they obey one rule: worship no god.

Of course, when a pack of sentient tarot cards borrowing Destiny's book decides to screw Lucy over by forcing a universe to worship them, culminating in treachery, unexpected hope, sacrifice, and a whole slew of fantastic storytelling and plot, the end of this collection is solid as all hell. Without
Sud666
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, comics
Book Two of Lucifer collects issues 14-28.

At the end of the last volume, Lucifer has created his own universe and passed the one law- NO worship of any kind. Meanwhile, Mazikeen, has gone to her family- the Lilim (Lilth's spawn). As she rises to become their war leader, Lucifer is trying to deal with humanities need for worship.

The Adam and Eve he creates for his new world are perfect example of human beings almost perverse need to worship something greater, as well as punish themselves for ima
Cheese
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic follow up on the story of Lucifer.

This series is so much better than I could have imagined, especially after reading the sandman.

I’m really looking forward to the following story and how all of this unfolds.
Sikata
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love graphic novels! Quick to read. Lovely art. Perfect illustration of hell. This one was a major page turner. If you have read Sandman, then you know who the lady is on the cover. If you don't know her, please read Sandman. Trust me, you won't regret it.

There are many beautiful quotes, which I shall edit into this when I get time.

This book is darker than the first in the series. More endearing and more heart breaking too. The book is basically about the fact that, when you are the devil, yo
Koen Claeys
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked this one better than the first book but so far I don't understand why so many people are so extremely enthusiastic about this series. Mike Carey doesn't give me a reason to care about the main character. The read is still fascinating enough to keep me wanting more...
Andrew
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
And so the story of Lucifer continues. Now this is an almost perfect continuation of the story from the first volume so trying to comment about it without spoilers is going to be a challenge (going forward talking about the next one after that and so on will be a real challenge oh joy).

However the story digresses even further from the TV show so please do not expect anything of a connection apart from a few names.

However the story is still fascinating and incredibly inventive - I really would
Craig
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is where a lot of the seemingly disconnected stories in the first book really start to come together in a very involving storyline, which largely revolves around Lucifer making his own universe and the varied factions that oppose and support him. The art by Peter Gross is pretty good, though not as sharp as in The Unwritten. Dean Ormston's issues are standouts, usually providing a brief interlude between multi-issue story arcs. A big step forward for this series--has me looking forward to w ...more
Eli Bishop
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fiction-sff
Most of this is as strong as the first book, and Carey keeps on raising the stakes of the story in surprising ways, but there's a (very lengthy) subplot that I thought wasn't just disappointing but kind of gross, where a bunch of demons pretending to be European aristocrats get involved with a human spirit in hell. For some reason, whenever Carey writes demon characters, as opposed to other kinds of monsters, I find them boring and the whole thing becomes more generically "Vertigo comic with tit ...more
Chris Lemmerman
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh Lucifer, you rascally devil, you. This second volume chronicles his continuing attempts to govern his own Creation after procuring the ability to create one in the first volume. He meets with varying success, but is always entertaining, and Mike Carey's constant shifting of storytelling perspective keeps every story in this volume fresh and new, whilst contributing to the overall narrative very well. More, please.
Get X Serious
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I love how Carey plays with conventional Christian mythology. Once again though, I think this series is failing to live up to its full potential, whatever that may be, but it's still really fun and more often than not, thought provoking. It's worth reading this collection just to see Lucifer make his own Garden of Eden and gives one rule to his creations: worship no one, even me.
Eric
Adastra
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Iida
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
While a fresh world and its new people are being tested in another universe, one of my favourite characters, Gaudium, enters the story in the old world. Also much enjoyed the beautifully drawn side arc Nirvana.
Anchorpete
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you ever read a few of my reviews, it is a good chance Mike Carey has come up, and it is a good chance that I have stated that he is "the most underrated writer in comics".

Lucifer is where he made it to the big time.

It seems like someone working at my local Library really wanted me to get into this series. Almost every single Lucifer Trade is stocked on their shelves. Unfortunately, they had the first trade, then the last three trades before the end of the series. There was a huge gap, for a
J'aime
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first volume of Lucifer was so different from anything I’d encountered in graphic novels before, that I was immediately hooked. Lucifer is powerful, enigmatic, and arrogant. Which suits the fallen angel perfectly. At the end of the first volume, Lucifer was given the means to create his own universe – formed of his will and separate from God’s. In Book 2, everyone wants a piece of it!

The stories in this volume jump around among many players, all of which are being moved into position for an
Cole
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lucifer's creation experiment becomes a battleground as old foes and old friends turn up in unexpected roles. Mazikeen comes into her own as war leader of the Lilim. Teenage angel Ellain Belloc makes a choice you are going to see coming a mile away. Meanwhile, the Archangel Michael begins to feel sympathy for the devil.

Personally, I find Lucifer to be an easier character to follow than Morpheus, which is probably why I am getting through these books so much faster than I did the Sandman series.
Campo
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Conclusion to world building and a many characters new and old being redefined is a simple review of this volume.

3 Stories all that show that Lucifer does what he wants and won't be manipulated; a Victorian like hell, a beautifully drawn and painted part of China and a complex story with twists and a great cameo.
Loki
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I gave the previous volume five stars, and this one constitutes a distinct improvement. Would that it were possible to give it six stars.
James Lawner
*3.5*

“I know I’m dancing with the devil. Darken up my heaven, brighten up my hell”

This was better than the last previous volume, but man, this series is just weird and creepy sometimes without being as cool and interesting as The Sandman was. Even when this tries to be lyrical and poetic like The Sandman, it just comes across as dull and boring. Also, I really don’t like the artwork by Dean Ormston it is just not for me at all, and it’s one of the reasons why this series feels so uncomfortably w
Michael Emond
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
So people really like this series? Good for them. The best emotion I can muster up after reading the first two volumes is indifference. I don't know why I don't like it (I don't dislike it) but I really feel Carey is doing his best impression of Neil Gaiman and not pulling it off.
As I read each issue, I agree there is a story and the story gets resolved I just don't care one way or another about the characters or how the story is resolved. As an example, my fav part of the book is a stand alone
Shane
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another strong showing in this series, this compilation continues the story of Lucifer after he relinquished rulership of Hell (as told in Neil Gaiman's The Sandman decades of ago). This graphic novel (originally released as issues 14-28 of the comic, plus a terrific bonus issue) is complex and many-layered. It is also, for the most part, well-written and compelling.

The bonus issue, "Nirvana," is a standalone that is this book's narrative and artistic peak. The whole thing is good, but this shor
Aaron Bellamy
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
All the slow build up in previous issues begin to pay off in these issues. If you felt Lucifer got off to a rocky start, here's where you find out that patience is indeed a virtue - and ironically, one that Lucifer kind of has.

Similar to volume one, the art here is a mix of two pretty distinct styles, with a watercolor one off thrown in for good measure. Ormston's style isn't my favorite, but when it comes to monsters and demons doing nasty stuff, it's perfect.

This is a great series, and these e
Dissonant
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to say this at the start: The Nirvana one-shot is amazing. The art is amazing, just like the art in a lot of short limited series and one-shots is. Nice, interesting story too; cool cameo by Daniel Hall (second incarnation of Dream).

The issues in this trade paperback that came from the main series were also great; they formed a cohesive narrative, and the insertion of the Nirvana one-shot didn't distract from it at all. As the cover suggests, Death of the Endless also makes a minor cam
Heather
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Beauty chains me to the Earth. But if I were to fly, where would I fly? The heavens are not a place for human souls."

What did I just read?!?

There is a LOT going on here but the main story of the war between Lucifer and the Basanos and the Lilim and the Heavens was epic. There were stories in-between the main story which were so good. I especially loved "A Dalliance with the Damned" which was a regency romance in Hell (where snuff is made out of the pain of damned souls!!) and the ethereal "Nirv
S.M.M. Lindström
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Lucifer aims to create a new universe, to one-up dear old dad. How will things turn out for him? (Resisting hell-puns, best as I can).

Still enjoying this series. The thing that irks me, however, how clearly men are shown naked in scenes of suffering while women are shown naked to be sexy. Are there no women in hell? I mean, regular mortal women? Who aren't here to have sex with men in-between torturing them? It's just so weird that hell looks to be 100% male mortals - is there gender segregation
Saif Saeed
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sequential-art
Lucifer takes the best parts of Neil Gaiman's Sandman (the fantasy elements and personification/anthropomorphism) and adds in a much more epic overarching story that is way more badass and not so up its own butt. It's just naturally like this because the main character isn't the aloof Dream of the Endless, its Lucifer, the baddest dude in religious history.

Book one was great, book two continues to be just as good.

Not much else to say other than that I'm enjoying this so far. Epic in scale and lo
Martin Chalupa
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I enjoyed the second volume much more than the first one. The episodes from the first volume are making more sense now. All (most) threads come together and created a very interesting overall story. I still feel there were a couple moments when the author is musing about religion which were a bit slow. But most of the time story is a quite fast pacing. I went through the book in a couple hours. There are a couple new characters. I especially loved a new character, little daemon Gaudium. I hope h ...more
Laura Cunha

Seguindo a saga de Lucifer, no segundo volume temos 2 arcos de história. O primeiro é uma espécie de continuação direta do primeiro, onde Lucifer resolve fazer uso do prêmio a que teve direito ao fazer o trabalho sujo que o Céu solicitou. A segunda história é uma questão de resolver a situação entre Lucifer e Amenediel, um anjo bem conhecido para quem assiste o seriado.

Aqui comecei a ter algumas questões com a saga de Lucifer. O principal problema é que nã
Carolyn
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think my main gripe with this is that there are too many characters; too many interconnecting storylines to keep track of. I love the cover art but aside from that it's not worth keeping. I think I'll see if I can get the rest of this series from the Library. I had high hopes but the story just isn't that good, unfortunately. Disappointing.
  • Hellblazer, Volume 5: Dangerous Habits
  • Hellblazer, Volume 6: Bloodlines
  • Hellblazer, Volume 10: In the Line of Fire
  • The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume Two
  • Black Road, Vol. 2: A Pagan Death
  • The Animal Man Omnibus
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Siege of Mechanicsburg (Girl Genius, #12)
  • Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #8)
  • Hellblazer, Volume 13: Haunted
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli

Lucifer New Edition (5 books)
  • Lucifer, Book One (Lucifer, #1)
  • Lucifer, Book Three (Lucifer, #3)
  • Lucifer, Book Four (Lucifer, #4)
  • Lucifer, Book Five (Lucifer, #5)
“For every soul there are a million harbors. Those who would have you see the infinite as a coin with but two faces are not your friends.” 0 likes