Start by marking “Wonder Woman, Volume 2: Guts” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman, Volume 2: Guts

Wonder Woman, Volume 2: Guts

(Wonder Woman (2011) #2)

Wonder Woman would do anything to save the lives (and souls) of the people she loves. Now she must go to hell and back. Literally.

With her all-powerful father Zeus missing, Wonder Woman has been swept up by the mother of all family feuds: a battle for the throne of Olympus among the gods themselves. Her friend Zola - very mortal and, thanks to Zeus, very pregnant - is just
Published September 17th 2013 by DC Comics (first published January 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonder Woman, Volume 2

Jayson
(B+) 78% | Good
Notes: It endows humanity upon gods, who, in their cold divinity, admit forsakenness and love as fountainheads to motive.
Marpapad
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the second volume slightly more than the first one, because this volume was full of interesting plot twists. Also, I really liked how the gods are depicted, especially Hades.
Anne

Considering how much I disliked the 1st volume, I'm a little surprised to say that this new Wonder Woman is growing on me.
I'm not in love with it, but I probably won't wait as long to try to read the next volume.

I think the main thing that turned the tide for me was Hephaestus and the whole Amazon babies storyline. I liked it, and I think that plot line could really go somewhere interesting.

The art didn't freak me out as much this time around, either. Hades still looks like a stupid bir
Lono
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Azzarello’s Guts picks up right where Blood left off without missing a beat. Brian continues to mix it up by stirring in even more Greek mythology with Diana’s origin. This one starts out with Wonder Woman meeting up with Hephaestus “The Smith”. Really dig this guy. Diana comes to him for some help preparing for her road trip to the Realm of Hades. She also has a surprise in store for her when she discovers a little secret about home sweet home, Paradise Island. And this one shocks the hell outt ...more
Mike
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little melodramatic to start, but Azzarello has a compelling take on the classic WW mythology, that I happen to think make more sense - and make for a richer universe in which to set WW's stories. What makes more sense, and gives room for more pathos: Amazonians are a race somehow devoid of males, or that Amazonians *choose* not to keep the males as part of their culture?

This reminds me of Milligan's attempt to put a modernist spin on Greek mythology, in his Greek Street series. I didn't reall
Jedi JC Daquis
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this volume down to its very last detail. It is a frenetic, smart, rich and surprisingly humorous installment of Brian Azzarello's stellar Wonder Woman run! In this book, our Amazon Princess literally goes to the underworld to marry Hell himself, as a price for the bargain she has with Hades.

Hephaestus and his automatons has an unexpected heartfelt backstory. It is in these details that make volume two of Wonder Woman a memorable read.

Azarello's New 52 Wonder Woman is a solid story of ac
James DeSantis
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story: The story ramps up as Wonder Woman and gang head into hell to save Zola. However, in hell, there's always a price to pay. After Wonder Woman is wounded she is left by the gang as an exchange for Zola. Now, without their leader, the crew has to figure out how to save Wonder Woman. However, the amazon queen isn't about to back down so easy.

Art: It's weird. Some of the art doesn't work for me at all, while the emotional shots, and big fights, all look great. So basically best way to describ
William Thomas
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I understand that some readers are feeling a little... uncomfortable with the rewritten backstory of the Amazons, in that they basically rape and kill seafaring men and then sell their male offspring into slavery. This is actually the true mythology behind the Amazons, and with Azzarello keeping in step with the extremely heavy mythological storyline, it seems a logical step. As he is also writing this book in a style that befits a Vertigo book, it seems like a brilliant idea to me.

So here is th
Scott Foley
Guts is the second volume of Wonder Woman’s New 52 iteration. Now, I have to admit, I’ve never particularly been a Wonder Woman fan. I mean, sure, as a young boy, I liked her just as much as the next young boy, but I never read her comics. But, when DC decided to (sort of) reboot their shared universe with the New 52, and when I learned that Brian Azzarello would be taking over Wonder Woman, well, even as a thirty-five year old man with a wife and two daughters, I couldn’t resist. Azzarello is a ...more
Kurt
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
I am madly in love with this Wonder Woman storyline. As someone who usually doesn't have much interest in DC comics in general or Wonder Woman in particular, that's a humbling admission to make. This book, though, is simply a joy to read. Like the volume that precedes it, this book doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the DC Universe (except a possible reference on the last page? I recognize that the words are a reference to a DC concept but not what that concept means), as it continues ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

I found this better than volume 1, though maybe it was just because I now have a better grasp of previous WW works. That said, the art is weird (like how Aphrodite was seen at the waist) or awful (WW can't seem to be consistent between panels), and I can't BELIEVE we are still on this stupid "Ultimate Gods" showdown with that stupid Zola woman. I thought this was about WONDER WOMAN.

Wonder Woman herself isn't bad - at least she's confident and kicking ass instead of a questioning, s
Diana
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING. I think I'm in love. The direction in which Azzarello is taking Wonder Woman is nothing short of amazing. I love that he is giving so much weight to the different Greek Gods, and I enjoy seeing what he is doing with them, making them his and part of this story. Even when there are changes to the mythology (like Hades beig a kid and wanting to marry Diana, demoting Persephone) this changes do make the story so much more powerful as we are surprised by its turns.
I am really loving this se
Melissa
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Some more good twists on the Amazonian lore, and a bunch of unexpected surprises from the denizens of Olympia.
Eli
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc-comics, 2016

This series stands out as a New 52 title because of how heavy it is on Wonder Woman's Greek background. I've always liked mythology and it's cool to see it in a superhero comic.

This series is better so far as a cohesive storyline than it is as individual volumes. So far it's not amazing but it is enjoyable. Definitely interested in continuing.
Christine
I like how the goddess of love is shown here. It's an interesting take on the gods.
Thomas Potts
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is my firm belief that Brian Azzarello's 'Wonder Woman' is the best New 52 book out there! Before 'Blood', I must confess, I'd never read a single one of Diana's graphic adventures, and I was completely blown away by the creativity, the artwork, the mythos and, above all, the character of the titular heroine. So, you can imagine how happy i was as I kept on reading into Volume 2 and found it even better!

Like a mixture of Clash of the Titans and The godfather, the Greek Gods are reimagined as
Caitlin
Better than volume 1, but still not great

Yet again I find myself struggling with a rating on this. So far in this series, Azzarello will give me something I like and then I start feeling excited and then the next page there will be something that annoys the hell out of me and I'm right back to feeling ambivalent. And this time they're totally different annoying things!

I will say that so far the best thing about this series is how well written Wonder Woman is as a character. The side characters
Lloyd
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
What did I think? Hmm. While these were probably some of the most entertaining Wonder Woman stories I have ever read, I still think there is a great lack of storytelling in modern comics. Everything is downsized. There is no depth, very little characterization. What glimpses I got into the glory of the art form are no longer even attempted these days. I don't even know how to put it into words.

IF you're going to rely on artwork to tell the majority of the story, cutting the page count down to 20
Logan
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! So this volume pretty much picks up where the last volume left off, and based on the ending, this series will just be one long arc; however Brian is able to do this without it getting boring at all! Don't really wanna say more about the story, otherwise I'll be spoiling! What I can say, is that this a great series! I really like the interpretations of the Greek gods, their all done in interesting ways, my favourite character next to Wonder Woman herself is Strife, she's kinda like the ...more
Kyle
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dcu
I'm loving everything about the direction they have taken Wonder Woman in. Love the visual representation, love the writing, love the characterizations.

My only qualm with this volume is that it was a little light on dialogue, although I felt the incredible artwork and action sequencing completely made up for it.

I'm hooked on this series.
4/5
Rituraj Kashyap

Loving the character designs. Some improvement in storytelling, although some of the dialogues are awful and wrought with terrible puns.
Steve
Aug 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is repulsive vandalism, a deliberate uglification of the character and her world.

(view spoiler)
Joseph
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the second volume of the New 52 Wonder Woman, Diana meets my Jungian counterpart, Hephaestus, and learns the tragic history of Paradise Island and her fellow Amazons that set many older Wonder Woman fans in a tizzy. I won't spoil it here, but it deals with how Amazons can constantly die in battle (even though they're supposed to be immortal), but Paradise Island never seems to run out of Amazons. It's kinda horrible, but Greek myths were never for the weak hearted to begin with, so it fits.

We
Nicole
Paz R.M.
Solid 4 stars.

I can't begin to tell you how excited I am. You know why? Because last December there was this huge discount in new 52 titles, so I risked it and bought the first 4 volumes of Wonder Woman and a few days ago I read volume 1. If you haven't read my review of that volume... spoiler alert, I hated it! But now, I picked up volume 2 and imagine my surprise when I found myself really enjoying this.(Yes! I didn't waste money)

First of all, I don't know if it's me who's getting used to the
Wing Kee
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love me some mythology!

I really enjoyed the first arc of the new Wonder Woman, it was much more focused on the mythology and the art and the story telling refreshed a stagnant series, I'm happy to say that Volume 2 is more of the same good stuff, but with some glaring annoyances that I'm starting to see plaguing the rest of the Azzarello/Chiang run:

World: The world is awesome, the play on classic Greek mythology and their characters are wonderful. The art of Chiang/Atkins is great and the fres
Aaron
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I don't know if I've ever experienced such a sudden about-face in my opinion of a comic series. If you read my review of Volume 1, which I still stand by, you'll see I wasn't super thrilled about this series. It felt convoluted and overwrought and like Azzarello was simply trying to do way too much with this series. And, honestly, I think that's what volume 1's problem is: he was trying to set up everything in six short issues.

But now, with this volume, things have settled down considerably
Nancy Meservier
Guts is the second graphic novel in the New 52 Wonder Woman Series. As with Blood (vol 1), I couldn't help but be pleasantly surprised at the quality found here. In my mind, Wonder Woman has always been kind of a dull comic, but Brian Azzarelllo and Cliff Chiang make her world so interesting by emphasizing her Greek Mythology roots, and surrounding her with wonderfully designed gods and monsters. Similar to how Rick Riordan took the familiar world of the Greek gods and truly made them his own fo ...more
Colona Public Library
This WW is really starting to grow on me. I liked the first one with a couple complaints, the major on is that I'm not really to be on heavily Greek story lines but this one with Hephaestus was excellent and really kinda unexpected (I gave it a star just for this.) and Hades actually had some kick butt moments of WW. (especially on the muscle horse, how cool!) I'm a bit more interested now to continue the story if they write more similar to this one! The art in this book is beautiful through out ...more

• Green Lantern, Volume 2: The Revenge of Black Hand
  • Birds of Prey, Volume 1: Trouble in Mind
  • Wonder Woman: Land of the Dead
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Blue Diamond
  • Catwoman, Vol. 2: Dollhouse
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B

Wonder Woman (2011) (9 books)
  • Wonder Woman, Volume 1: Blood