Start by marking “The Joker: Death of the Family” as Want to Read:
The Joker: Death of the Family

The Joker: Death of the Family (Batman (2011))

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  3,355 Ratings  ·  335 Reviews
After having his face sliced off one year ago, The Joker makes his horrifying return in this new epic that features Batman's entire network of partners in crimefighting, including Batgirl, Catwoman, Nightwing, Robin, the Teen Titans and more. While The Joker threatens the very existence of Gotham City, these heroes --and villains--must find a way to survive.

Collecting: Det
Published October 22nd 2013 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Joker, please sign up.
Mark My suggested reading order is this:

Detective Comics vol 1: Faces of Death (just the first issue really)
Batman vol 3: Death of the Family (for the core…more
My suggested reading order is this:

Detective Comics vol 1: Faces of Death (just the first issue really)
Batman vol 3: Death of the Family (for the core story)
Joker: Death of the Family (for all of the crossover stories)

Additionally if you aren't familiar with any of the supporting titles (like Red Hood and the Outlaws, Teen Titans, Nightwing, Suicide Squad, Batgirl, etc) then you might want to read a few of those (whichever ones interest you) to familiarize yourself with the characters before reading Joker: Death of the Family.

More info is in my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Hope that helps!(less)
Mark Yes and no. Yes, this is a standalone version and the continuity works well. You will get to see the overall story arc in this compilation. On the…moreYes and no. Yes, this is a standalone version and the continuity works well. You will get to see the overall story arc in this compilation. On the other hand, it's not "complete". It includes issues #13 and #17 from Batman. Admittedly these are probably the most important for the story arc. But if you want to read Batman issues #14-16 (which do include part of the Death of the Family storyline), you'll have to get Batman Volume 3: Death of the Family. Do you HAVE to read the Batman volume? No, this one is sufficient. However, I'd say the "complete" story is in the Batman volume, and this Joker volume -- while it does stand alone -- provides all of the crossover stories.(less)

Michael Finocchiaro
Absolutely brutal, Snyder's entry in the Joker mythology after his extraordinary handling of the Court of Owls is a gripping and fascinating tale with great artwork. Well-worth your time.
Anne
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5

The rating is based on the arc in it's entirety, and not the individual titles. Obviously some are much better than others...

If you've already read all of the Death of the Family titles, this one isn't going to give you much new information, just a little snippet at the beginning from Joker's point of view.
However, if you've missed a few (or all) of the titles, this is an easy way to play catch-up with a really cool story arc from the Batverse.
Although, I still think this particular story i
Jake
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I sometimes forget what's at The Joker's core, and just how vile, horrifying, and brutal it is. Much of the time, writers get the silliness wrong by overdoing it, but I suppose that's more for the younger audience. His gags, though, only show how level the playing field is for him. Life and death are borderline parallels. A handshake is murder is rage is happiness is a hug is grief is madness. He's the unending joke of existence because it's all so indifferent in his eyes. Pain is a part of it, ...more
Anthony
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: batman, the-new-52
It's a high end 3 star rating. The only Batman book I read each month is the main one by Snyder and Capullo, so whenever they do the big storylines like Death of the Family and Court of Owls, they don't feel much like events to me. But DC usually tie most of the bat-family titles into the storyline, therefore making the event-ish. The return of Joker after a year, and being what was at the time his New 52 debut, is a story worthy of being an event and it's worth tying the family books into it. E ...more
Quentin Wallace
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Joker could possibly be the greatest villain in the history of comics. Not every Joker story is great, but on average putting the Joker in a story just makes it better. This volume does feature the Joker at his psychotic best. This Joker has actually had the skin cut from his face and basically reattached with fish hooks. As if he wasn't scary enough already!

It takes an epic story to truly give the Joker his glory, and this one manages to pull it off. Batman, in my opinion, has the greatest
Keely
Like any avid Batman fan, finding out that the Joker will be returning in the New 52 line-up was instantly gratifying, especially since I consider him my most favorite Batman villain ever since Mark Hamill's version in Batman: The Animated Series. But DC did not make having the Joker back a walk-in-the-park either. He is, after all, Batman's ultimate nemesis so you bet your ass they're gonna make a big crossover event about it. And that is exactly what is collected in this deluxe edition. From a ...more
Teya Agnese
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Overall, this was an enjoyable read and was brilliant as I really enjoy reading about the jokers story and his involvement with all the DC characters!
However, there were some sections that I have read before previously in other comics but I didn't mind reading them again.
Will Robinson Jr.
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is quite simply the best Joker story I have read in years. DC Comics has perfectly woven a Joker story over the course of several New 52 books perfectly. I never felt that Gail Simone, Peter Tomasi or Scott Snyder were writing there own separate take on the Joker. Those group story brainstorming meetings must have been fantastic. The Joker is probably one of the greatest super villains ever made. Those of you who have always wanted to read comics or are just plain curious should definitely ...more
David Musto
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I want to give this five stars but just can't. This volume is a tremendous value as you get all of the "Death of the Family" tie-ins. It keeps you from having to buy the Batgirl, Teen Titans, Suicide Squad, Nightwing, Batman & Robin, and Red Hood trades. That being said, this is a collection of tie-ins, meaning the main story that took place in the actual "Batman" title is absent. It's strange that this one came out first as you have to read the other to know what is going on in this one.

Whi
Mark
This graphic novel includes all of the crossover stories from the Death of the Family story arc featuring the New 52's return of the Joker. The core story by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo can be found in Batman, Vol. 3: Death of the Family, although the key issues from the beginning and end of that core story are also included here.

This is a good story and a decent collection although I think it is Scott Snyder's work (Batman 13 and 17 included here) that stands far above the rest, and those are
Jbainnz
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
So I read most of these tie in issue a while ago now. I loved the Batman storyline so much, so I thought reading them together would just make this tale even more epic.

After I was left with the overpowering feeling of "meh"...so giving this a 3 stars is being generous.

So my first issue was the fact that it never actually had most of the Batman story here. We get a very short part at restart which doesn't even have Joker in it. Then just the last issue from Batman #16, which I had tea a million
Ruby-Mae Roberts
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I can't really remember what happened in the comic because I read it when it first came out, so there probably won't be any spoilers in this review.

I read this series when it first came out. I hadn't been reading comics as much as I am now at that point and so I didn't have a lot to compare it to.

However, I loved this. I was a bit lost while I was reading it because there were references to things that had happened that I'd missed (but I caught up later), but to be really honest, I wasn't payin
Jedi JC Daquis
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Perhaps the selling point of this book is its sheer size. The Joker: Death of the Family is larger by a couple of issues compared with the first crossover arc, the Night of the Owls.

Not to be confused with the main Batman: Death of the Family story written by Snyder and drawn by Capullo, Joker: Death of the Family (JDotF) is a mashup of issues that spans across several bat-related titles, Nightwing, Batgirl and Suicide Squad to name a few.

JDotF focuses on how the Joker affected each members of t
Nicholas
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For my full review of the return of the Joker story see my review of the main storyline in Batman: Death of the family

This volume of tie-ins is fantastic. Some of the other New 52 tie-in collections don't really add much to the story, but this one does and it's essential if you're going to get the full Death of the Family experience, which I highly recommend.
Nerdish Mum
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this greatly. I think if I hadn't just read Prey I would have enjoyed it even more, but as I thought Prey was so amazing this just didn't quite live up to it.
Batastrophe
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: batfam, dc, new52, read-2016
Okay, I think it's safe to say after finally reading this collected version...I am just not a fan of crossover events. I mean, I get it. I really do. It's a way for DC to connect related titles, make a little more money, and pull together characters that share a universe for a shared event. It should be fun...but despite that I just end up getting endlessly annoyed with them.

The actual plot of Death of the Family isn't so bad, I guess, objectively speaking. But frankly, I'm just tired of this e
Jenny Clark
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc-comics
What a wild ride... The Joker is back and more psychotic then ever. I enjoyed this, but one problem was it made me want to get a lot of the series that it crosses over into!
In this, we have Detective Comics, Catwoman, Batgirl, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Teen Titans, Nightwing, Batman and Robin, Batman and Suicide Squad. Unfortunately, since I don't read all of these I am not sure which parts are Batman and which are Detective Comics, so I will comment on those together.
Batman/Batman Detective Co
Holly
Have you ever heard someone say that one of the movie versions of the Joker was too dark? I hear that and I think of comcs like these. Joker has to be one of the most depraved villains in all of fiction. He paralized Batgirl, he actually killed a Robin. That all happened long before this story was ever published.

I liked it. The volume as a whole was mostly linear and conclusive. While I won't call it a fun read, it was an excellent story. Maybe even a reminder? You know, in case you forgot that
Charn Singh
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
The arch nemesis of Batman strikes back after absence of one year. And what a come back he makes!

Gruesome, brutal, dark, sadistic, and beautifully (twisted) illustrated, this volume collects the Death of Family stories and bring them to great conclusion.

Would rate it 3 since few stories - especially that of Teen Titans- had cheesy dialogues (of course, I don't like teen titans anyway).

All said and done, once you are over with this book, a maniac laughter will be the thing to remember.
Jake Haynes
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I've finally finished it and that was a really good comic. You get to see the joker for who he really is. Brutal, remorseless and cunning more than most fictional characters existing. I was very satisfied with how this ended, which I was surprised about. Some of these stories are not as good as others which is to be expected (my least favourite parts were Batman and nightwing, although Batman was great overall).
DrewGP
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Creepy, bizarre, and gory. Exactly what I like.
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Super engrossing and I loved the different point of views. The art work was intense due to the dark nature of the overarching narrative. Would recommend to any Batman fanatics.
Djdan Helfer
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent. The graphics were incredible. The storyline was disturbing and intense. Deserving of the title
Ricky Ganci
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: new-52
Batman is big. Bigger than astronauts and baseball. He's so big that each of his stories in the New 52 have been family-wide crossovers that interrupt all other happenings in Gotham City and points nearby. The Night of the Owls featured lots of interesting character meetings that really showed the diversity of the team; for example, Batgirl's harsh words to Red Hood following the first encounter with Mr. Freeze really stood out as her appearance and chastisement of Jason took place in the Red Ho ...more
Daryl
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I was going to give this 3 stars, but after doing a little more research, I discovered the reason why this just didn't set right with me. I'd heard a lot about the Joker/Death of the Family storyline running through Batman and the related Bat-books a few years ago, but, alas, it was long after I'd stopped reading many monthly comics. So I had a chance to read this trade which collects many of the tie-in issues, but doesn't have the main story from Batman's own book. I didn't realize that until I ...more
Hugo Emanuel
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently got back into comics, a medium I hadn't followed since my late teens. Ater years of reading prose I found myself yearning for a different king of reading experience. "Hellblazer" was the title that reconnected me to the medium but I soon ran out of tradepaperbacks to read of said title. My next logical step was to read something that featured my favorite mainstream comic book character: Batman. I allways found that Batman and his gallery of villains allowed, as far as mainstream comic ...more
sassafrass
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
So this was my first real foray into the New 52 and I have to say....I don't get it? Some of these changes are so ridiculously minuscule there was no point in rebooting in the first place - changing Nightwing's uniform from blue to red? Yeah that really added a lot thanks DC - and others are so bafflingly huge it changes character dynamics entirely - Barbara Gordon is pretty much unrecognisable as a character now.

I picked up this story because I really enjoy the Batfamily, and assumed from the
Jeff
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it
As other reviews have mentioned, it's really best to come at this having read some of the previous comics, otherwise there are a lot of things that probably won't make much sense. Which was kind of the case for me.

Although I've tried to keep abreast of what's going on in the fair city of Gotham, it's been years since I actually sat down and read a new Batman comic, and that did present some problems -- especially when it came to a few of the ancillary characters like the Teen Titans, Starfire,
Jacquline- Jax
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I read Batman: death of the family first and a friend said I had to read this one. She was SO right. Two minor complaints- 1. What happens with Barbara's mother (I get my books from the library so if it's addressed in another book I don't have it) 2. I prefered the Prologue in the Batman edition. It introduced the random two headed lion cub, the Joker attacking Gotham PD, and the kidnapping of Alfred which wasn't actually shown in this edition.

This is terrifyingly perfect. The Joker loses what'
Chris
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: batman, joker, new-52
Sometimes the tie ins for crossover events simply feel like a money spinning exercise, and don't do a great deal to progress the story. With this book, for the most part, that is not the case. Of course the main book (Batman - Death Of The Family) can be read without this book, however I would recommend to anyone new to this story read both together. This is how I read it and I feel it really added to the feeling of the Jokers complete control. It made him feel even more menacing knowing just ho ...more
  • Batman and Robin, Volume 3: Death of the Family
  • Catwoman, Vol. 2: Dollhouse
  • Batman: A Death in the Family
  • The Batman Adventures: Mad Love and Other Stories
  • Batwoman, Vol. 3: World's Finest
Scott Snyder is the Eisner and Harvey Award winning writer on DC Comics Batman, Swamp Thing, and his original series for Vertigo, American Vampire. He is also the author of the short story collection, Voodoo Heart, published by the Dial Press in 2006. The paperback version was published in the summer of 2007.
More about Scott Snyder