Start by marking “Post Pattern (Burnside Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Post Pattern (Burnside Series #1)

Post Pattern (Burnside Mystery #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  402 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
After a football star is shot at on a California freeway, he approaches Burnside, a former college football player who has become a successful private investigator.

As Burnside unravels a complex series of baffling leads, the body count piles up. He encounters beautiful girls, wayward athletes and overworked cops on his way to cracking a case that no one else wants to touc
Published February 7th 2013 by Cold Spirit Press

To ask other readers questions about Post Pattern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Post Pattern

Jeff Benham
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brand new author for me, he was recommended on the Michael Connelly forum. Burnside is a former cop turned PI who is hired by a rich college jock to find out who took a shot at him while he was driving his brother's car. Then the brother takes a dive off the 22nd floor balcony and the cops rule it accidental. Then the fun begins and we find out this job is not for sissies. Burnside has a habit of ticking off the wrong people. The kind of attitude you like to see in a PI. Very good read!
David
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a slow burner whodunnit from the pen of David Chill. David has a unique way of writing that draws you in and you almost feel like he's sitting across the dinner table and sharing this story with you.

The story follows the aftermath of the death of a college football player who lives in L.A. Very interesting characters are introduced into this tale from the coaches at LAU and USC, to the local thugs at Neary's to the misfits at the local police station. Robbie Freeman's family hires Priva
Brandon Johnson
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Post Pattern grabs you from the first chapter. The story puts you on the edge of your seat and keeps you there until the end of the mystery. Burnside is a wise-cracking private eye, who tries to find out why someone is trying to kill a local college football star. As the novel unfolds, the plot becomes more complex and the tension mounts.

Burnside is on a mission to crack the case, and it involves drugs, strippers and some pretty intimidating bad guys. He is perfect in the role as a white knight
Joyce
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. Burnside played football in college, but an injury prevented his becoming a pro. Instead he became an LA cop. Following his ignominious departure 13 years later he became a private eye. He is Spenserian in that he is frequently a smart ass, disrespectful and good with his fists. He also has friends from the past who are put to good use.

The case is one where another former college football hero is almost killed on the freeway (needless to say, this takes place in Southern Ca
Sharon Kennedy
Apr 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I did enjoy reading this book. Yes it was a fairly formulaic story, with retired cop turned PI, but the story was well paced, the characters were interesting, and there was even a bit of American football info in there which didn't put me off the book.
The only thing which really me about this story was the use of discrete (separate) for discreet (being prudent or cautious) - our hero kept "discretely mentioning" things to people - I don't know if it was the author or the typesetter, but it stood
Suki Korp
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a good book--I wish the author had more books out. This was copyrighted in 1991 and must have been released for Kindle recently.
Billie
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A true whodunnit...a former cop now turned private investigator hired by rich family to find the killer of their son...many twists and turns and hard to put down
Drew
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
‘Post Pattern’ is a fun read that transports you to the heat laden streets of LA. The main character, Burnside, is interesting and likable. The story keeps up a good pace without a ton of action and without ever feeling slow. The writing is great, the author brings out each character’s backstory naturally and his vivid detail in descriptions really makes you feel as if you were right there in the middle of the investigation. I never would have guessed who the killer ultimately was which is alway ...more
Joan M. Quigley
Dec 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not the books fault

Or the author. But I am angry I cannot get the darn book off my screen. Updated Kindle for iPad seems to think that if I’ve read a book I want to see it forever on my screen. I don’t. I want to move on to the next book
Michelle
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Good book

You people should just read this book yourselves and write your own review on this novel yourself and I really enjoyed reading this book very much so. Shelley MA
Wendy
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great who done it

Very well written book featuring a hard boiled but soft hearted cop turned PI. Enjoyed it and will read any others.
Jack
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A man (Norman) and his fiancee (Ashley) are shot at on the freeway. Since he was driving his brother's car, he believes his brother (Robbie) may have been the intended target. He enlists the aid of private detective Burnside, a former football player and LAPD officer.

And Burnside plunges into the investigation with gusto. He's beat up, shot at, and that's just the cops!

I read the second book (Fade Route) a while ago and enjoyed it very much. While looking at what I had in my library, I realized
Quillracer
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Chill’s main character, Burnside – if he gives him a first name, I don’t recall seeing it – an ex-college football star, ex-LAPD officer PI in LA is asked by family members to uncover who killed their son and brother after the police write his death off as an accident.

Burnside, who lost his police career after a bad judgment call, is a bit cynical about the world at large but hasn’t lost his concern for people and the toll their decisions cost them. That elevates him a touch above the usual hard
Black Butterfly
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BOOKBUB
Shelves: mystery-romance
WANTED TO GIVE IT 4* OR 31/2*stars BUT ALAS WE DON'T HAVE THAT OPTION. BOOK STARTED OUT KINDA SLOW BUT PICKED UP ABOUT MIDWAY. IT IS A VERY WELL WRITTEN BOOK, MY ONLY PROBLEM WAS THE TENDENCY TO HAVE TOO MUCH DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF STUFF I DIDN'T REALLY NEED/WANT TO KNOW. IT MIGHT HAVE SHORTENED THE BOOK BUT FOR ME IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER. ONCE IT GOT ROLLING IT WAS GREAT TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHO-DONE-IT. I AM PLEASED TO SAY I DID NOT FIGURE IT OUT AND I LOVE WHEN A BOOK CAN DO THAT TO ME. IT ...more
Louise Pledge
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I hate leaving a negative review when I didn't finish the book. But then again, that's the reason I'm leaving a negative review... I couldn't MAKE myself finish it! It seemed like there were pages & pages of football talk, etc, and it was just boring to me. I kept putting it down because I couldn't take anymore, then trying again, etc. The fact that there were many rave reviews, may motivate me to try again some day, but, in the meantime, there are too many books that DO hold my attention!
Leila  I.
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed book, but it is a little light for my tastes. I enjoy bone-chilling stories that keep you on the edge of your seat and the palms of hands sweating. I did however buy all the books in this series that
have been printed and I will read all of them, but not in a row. Series reminds me of the old style of writing mysteries like Dorothy Sayers, Agatha Christie etc. I have the need for some thrills
and excitement now.
Randy Grossman
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wise Guy

The main character, Burnside, has a dry sense of humor that almost keeps a chuckle in the reader's throat through the entire story. Mr Chill is excellent at providing plenty of suspects and motives. He keeps the reader guessing. Also, despite some of the background being the seedier side of people's lifestyles, Chill does not get TOO graphic about it. Despite a few "speed bumps" I can enjoy reading more of Burnside's adventures.
Mark Koller
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
The main character Burnside is a Nelson DeMille John Corey wanna-be but I do like the sarcastic dry humor. The author has no problem identifying USC but why he refers to UCLA as LAU is beyond me. Also Santa Ana winds blow from the east and not the south as Chill states. The murder motive was rather weak. Overall it was a quick before lunch semi-enjoyable read.
Susan
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Tulay
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Engaging mystery.

This was the first book I read in this series, will be reading more and telling everyone about this author. In the future Burnside will solve more mysteries while listening George Winston. He's smart, fascinating character won't give up until he finds out who did it. Perfect story will keep you warm in these cold weekends.
Patricia
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Nice Tough Guy

I did enjoy the Philip Marlowe-type quips. I also enjoyed the story but I have to admit I couldn't remember the story so had to read a second time. I enjoyed it more, I believe, and think I'll remember whodunnit.
Sandra Mudd
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Post Pattern

Good story with many possible outcomes. The final outcome was not expected. Burnside is a believable and likeable character. I predict that we will be seeing more of him.
Michelle
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Not as good as some, but better than most. A solid attempt at modern noir. I'd be willing to read another in the series…but I'm not yet convinced that Mr. David Chill is the second coming of Mr. Raymond Chandler...
cynthia zeiders
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Burnside = the Eveready Bunny

He just keeps chipping away at a death revealing the truth and getting the bad guy. A little romance along the way puts a spring in his step and makes him feel he's back on the Astroturf. The reader cheers him on and is rewarded by a page turner...
Paul
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fun and funny book about a detective named Burnside. It is suspenseful and has a bunch of quirky characters. A truly enjoyable first book by new author David Chill. Only available for Kindle at this time. Go get it...
Rizello
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The plot slowly developed but was satisfying.

The main character is a former football player and cop who is called in to investigate a murder of another football player from his area.

I look forward to more in the series
Sharon Michael
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Well written and entertaining P.I. mystery. Enough character development to keep me satisfied and solid plotting.

Personally, I'm not a big sports fan, which is why I didn't relate as well to the storyline as someone more involved with sports would, but the plot and writing kept me interested.
Roger
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
A good story - not riveting but enjoyable.
TeriC
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun and lively book.
Joel Ungar
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Good read. Somewhat standard mystery. Likable main character and would probably read the next book in the series.
How to Promote YO...: When to drop your price? 44 207 Jul 24, 2014 10:01AM
  • Worse Than Being Alone
  • Red Tide
  • The Dark Before Dawn
  • Seeds of Vengeance (Kendall O'Dell #4)
  • Dog Gone (Dev Haskell - Private Investigator Book 12)
  • Designed to Kill (Greg McKenzie Mysteries, Book 2)
  • Dying for the Highlife (Dan Reno, # 2)
  • Money Land (Sheriff James Pruett, #2)
  • Night Watchman (Tubby Dubonnet, #8)
  • The Advocate
  • Evil Deeds (Danforth Saga #1)
  • Mad Money
  • The Silent Second (Chuck Restic Mystery #1)
  • Casanova Killer
  • Harbored Secrets (A Psychological Mystery)
  • Victorian San Francisco Stories (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery, #0.5, 1.5, 2.5, 3.5)
  • Three, Four... Better Lock Your Door (Rebekka Franck #2)
  • Just Evil (Evil Secrets Trilogy, #1)
David Chill is a USA TODAY Bestselling Author, and has written a total of nine works of fiction. These include the recently published medical suspense novel, Curse Of The Afflicted. The first eight books are part of the Burnside Mystery Series: Post Pattern, Fade Route, Bubble Screen, Safety Valve, Corner Blitz, Nickel Package, Double Pass, and Tampa Two.

David Chill's debut novel, Post Pattern, w
More about David Chill

Burnside Mystery (8 books)
  • Fade Route (Burnside Series #2)
  • Bubble Screen (Burnside Series # 3)
  • Safety Valve (Burnside Series # 4)
  • Corner Blitz (Burnside Series Book 5)
  • Nickel Package (Burnside Series # 6)
  • Double Pass (Burnside Series Book 7)
  • Tampa Two (Burnside Series Book 8)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrongful Death (David Sloane, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel