Start by marking “CassaStorm” as Want to Read:
CassaStorm

CassaStorm

(CassaStar #3)

From the Amazon Best Selling Series!

A storm gathers across the galaxy…

Byron thought he’d put the days of battle behind him. Commanding the Cassan base on Tgren, his only struggles are occasional rogue pirate raids and endless government bureaucracies. As a galaxy-wide war encroaches upon the desert planet, Byron’s ideal life is threatened and he’s caught between the Tgrens
Published September 17th 2013 by Dancing Lemur Press, L.L.C. (first published September 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about CassaStorm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about CassaStorm

Lynda Young
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Set 20 years after the events of CassaFire, CassaStorm is aptly named with the story opening with war encroaching on Byron's peace. Byron is now commanding the Cassan base on Tgen.

Cavanaugh's space operas are first and foremost about the characters and this gives his stories realism, relatability and heart. CassaStorm is no different, despite the ambitious plot including war between ten races across the galaxy.

The book is seen through three different points of view. The first is, of co
Andrew Leon
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first and most obvious thing to be said about CassaStorm is that it's an obvious effort by the author, Alex Cavanaugh, to expand the universe he established in the previous two books. We find out that Tgren does, indeed, have more than one city on it and even get a peek at the other races only hinted at previously. And the end provides an explanation for some of the things that haven't made the most sense in the series overall, like the significantly low populations of the races.

There are wa
Charity Bradford
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cavanaugh makes world building on the galactic scale look easy. He knows how to build on the conflict from the first two books in the series and raise the stakes even higher. The stakes affect the entire known universe, but Cavanaugh also makes it very personal. Byron is still just as stubborn and private as ever, but he's learned to let those he loves into his mind. In this story he's got two more lessons to learn, and the last one's a doosey!

One of the things I appreciate about Cavanaugh's wr
edifanob
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books, 2013-reads
I have been lucky to get a review copy BEFORE the publishing date.

This is the more than worthy end to the Cassa trilogy with an unexpectred revelation at the end.

My review will be online on 17th of September 2013 which is the official publishing date.

UPDATE 2015-09-02

In my review I will answer the question if CassaStorM is the cream on the cherry on the cake or not.

All of you, who would like to read the extensive, three parted description (the present - characters - setting) please follow THIS L
Bob
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: space-opera
Alex J. Cavanaugh's previous novels, CassaStar and CassaFire, have been compared to the militaristic sci-fi novels of Heinlein - and with good reason. There is definitely a 'pulp' feel to his work in that it's straightforward in the telling, a linear sort of adventure story that hasn't forgotten the wonder and the joy of imagining the future.

That same feeling is embraced in CassaStorm but, as an avid genre fan of Alex's generation, I think it's safe to say there are other influences at work as w
Nancy Thompson
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Alex J. Cavanaugh’s third installment in the Cassa series soars to new and greater heights, but while it is set in space, the theme is both universal and intimate, that coexistence is essential for survival.

Since I don’t often foray into space opera, it’s hard for me to say how this story compares to others within the genre. What I can say, having read Cavanaugh’s other novels, is that the genre doesn’t really matter. It’s the story that counts, and just like the author’s other works, CassaStor
Natalie Aguirre
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’ll be honest. I was nervous picking up CASSASTORM to read because I haven’t read an adult book in almost ten years and was worried I don’t like them anymore. And I wasn’t sure I would understand enough of the story since I haven’t read the first two books. I’m happy to say that I was totally engrossed in the story within the first few pages. Alex did a great job bringing the reader up to speed on what’s been happening. And I loved that the story was told from the points of view of Byron, the m ...more
Louise
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I stayed up very late a couple of nights ago, because I had to finish "Cassastorm" before I went to sleep. "Cassastorm" is the third book in a science fiction series written by Alex J. Cavanaugh. I have read the entire series, and I have enjoyed each book. "Cassastorm" wrapped up the series well, but I hope that Alex writes more books about the characters I have come to know and love.

When I read Alex’s first book "Cassastar," I dove in expecting a shoot-'em-up space opera. To my surprise, the bo
Jean
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
CassaStorM is everything which a reader could ask for in a science fiction action adventure, and more.

To portray humanity in all its grandness and in all its frailty is a very difficult task. To accomplish this on such a vast a scale is very rare. Although I have not read the first two parts of this trilogy, I have become intrigued and involved enough to return to the past two stories of this series.

Incorporating and featuring believeable and unique, previously unheard of civilizations and races
Tony Laplume
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Seems to me almost like a combination between Prometheus and Ender's Game, insofar as the character who's most interesting is a little boy who ends up helping to solve a civilization's greatest mysteries about its origins.

This is the third of Alex Cavanaugh's Byron trilogy, begun with CassaStar (featuring the lead character as he enters military service) and continued with CassaFire (in which Byron meets his future bride and ushers the true start of this particular installment). I haven't read t
Eva
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’m glad I was able to read all three books in the series. I enjoyed them immensely. If Mr. Cavanaugh’s books are indicative of the Space Opera genre, I’ll definitely be reading more of them.

Forty years earlier, Byron helped end the Vindicarn War and became a hero in the process. But it wasn’t without sacrifice and great personal loss. Twenty years after, he finds new friendship, a loving mate, and gets back in the pilot’s seat to prevent a catastrophe from eliminating the planet Tgren. I just s
Tyrean
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love the action-packed, gripping Cassa trilogy by Alex J. Cavanaugh!
CassaStorm takes place twenty years after CassaStar, and I enjoyed seeing these beloved characters again, and being introduced to new ones. Cavanaugh's world-building, or in this case Universe-building, is excellent and flows perfectly with the pace of the novel's plot and character growth.

The war between the Vindicarn and the Cassans has grown and become a War involving all of the ten races when the alien probe starts a new
Sydney Michelle
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
While I love Science Fiction movies, I never got into reading these type of books until I read Alex J. Cavanugh's Cassa series. It takes a special skill to weave an intricate balance between human and non - human characters with building a made up world and turning it into a solid story with intensity and heart.
I love the series, but I love this book most of all. CassaStorm begins twenty years after the previous book. We find Byron, same good looks, same intensity and the same disciple an as th
Toi Thomas
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rated, sci-fi, reviewed
I must admit that this book was the hardest of the series to read, but it was not a bad difficulty. This book is challenging and Cavanaugh honors his readers by not dumbing down or softening the edges of deeper issues at hand. Yes, there is still plenty of action and use of powers, but the sociological impact of this story is what makes the lack of smiles and sunshine all worth it.

In the first two books, readers had an opportunity to travel the usual gambit of emotions in a story such as this: t
Randy
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Author Alex J. Cavanaugh's space opera series takes another twenty year leap since the last book in the series. Byron is married to Athee and they have a son, Bassan. He's commander of Cassan base on Tgren and the ten races have formed two alliances. The Vindicarns from that long ago war are once again enemies.

Bassan on a class trip to the ancient alien ship found on Tgren accidentally activates something and suddenly the boy begins having nightmares. The old ship is transmitting something in co
Christine Rains
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In this final book of the Cassa trilogy, Byron no longer sits in the pilot's seat but behind a desk. War is encroaching upon his home, and he will do anything to protect his family. To add to his troubles, an alien ship has been found and it poses an even larger threat. The entire galaxy might be lost if Byron can't help bring all the races together.

A phenomenal end to this space opera. I do like seeing how far Byron as come and what possibilities his future might hold. The family dynamic in thi
Jeff Beesler
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are books out there that I'll simply gobble up almost without pause. And then there are books whose worlds I'll linger around in longer simply because I don't want to leave that world. CassaStorm, the final entry in the Cassa series by Alex J. Cavanaugh, is a prime example of the latter. Having followed the adventures of protagonist Byron since CassaStar, I greatly looked forward to this final installment of the trilogy.

To say that the book exceeded my expectations would be a vast understa
Trisha
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was probably my favourite book in the series, as everything heats up towards the ultimate apocalypse and one little boy is the key to everyone's survival. I liked the theme of the "eleventh race", and the fact that they were the only solution to a very scary problem.

I also liked seeing Byron's character development as he adjusted to being a father - though of course he'd been a father for some time when the book began.

I did wonder if it was realistic that he was still so incredibly angry at
Robyn Engel
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I knew Cavanaugh to be a stellar author, but this book accentuates his brilliance. Not only is it layered with rich messages regarding father-son and family relations, Cavanaugh's writing challenges the reader to consider interfaith and interracial relations in a way that merges the magic of sci-fi with the realities our day-to-day existence on earth. Greater issues that we grapple with--e.g., homelessness, war vs. peace, being seen as "different"--emerge while the main characters fight for thei ...more
Sherry Ellis
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cassastorm is the third and final installment in the Cassa series. Byron, the protagonist, is a commander of the Cassan base on the planet, Tgren. He is married to Athee, of the Tgren race. The two produce a son, Bassan, who begins having recurrent nightmares after touching a mysterious alien relic on Tgren. Without giving too much away, it turns out that Bassan is an important figure in bringing warring races together in peace.

The emotion between Byron, Athee, and Bassan is touching. It's not o
John Gunning
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads

When all the ten races go to war it triggers an alien ship doom's day probe that will destroy each of the races' home worlds. Byron, the commander of the Cassan base on Tgren, must get the ten races to stop fighting and stop the probe before its to late. Twenty years ago, Byron interacted with the probe to delay this day, but can he do it again? And is his son's, Bassan , nightmares a clue to their survival or just an omen of worse to come. A good read independent of the first two books. Would l
Len Evans Jr
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Warning review contains one small spoiler! Scroll down if you wanna read!

OK... first thing I am gonna say about this book it I sincerely hope the author has plans to write more in this series. Each of the books in this series were incredible reads. This as of now final book managed to somehow exceed the others. I love this universe the author has created with so many races! And the idea that the 11th race a combination of the other 10 is crucial to the survival of all was brilliant! If you have
Zoltán Gecse
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had high hopes toward to this book, and luckily I haven't disappointed. I enjoyed every bits of the CassaStorm.

I admit this book is much better than the CassaFire, however I had small problem with it at some points. The core idea and the story is great, but a little bit short. The characters are strong, but sometimes - IMHO - overacted their roles.

The story rolled easily page by page, because it was very interesting and exciting.

In nutshell: it was great job, Alex! I'm waiting for your next bo
Kurt Bennett
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Super story. Hopefully not the final book in this series as watching the characters grow through all three books was great. Love the characters and the world Alex Cavanaugh has put together in this series. Believable technology, great action, suspense, and realistic situations. A pretty good mix over all. I read this book in 2 days whenever I has spare time and really had a hard time putting it down. Thanks to the author for another truly engaging and fantastic read.
Medeia Sharif
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In the third book of the Cassa series, Byron is a family man and someone who has a quieter career, but the warfare around him pulls him into battle mode. All the races of the galaxy are at risk for destruction. One thing he didn’t expect is how his son is affected. Bassan is afflicted with horrible nightmares that are somehow related to his surroundings. The intense battle sequences, the mysterious alien ship, and Bassan’s presence make this my favorite book of the series.
Felicia
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another twenty years has passed for Byron and Athee and they have added little Bassan to the family. As history tends to repeat itself Byron and Bassan must attempt to save everyone from extinction. Their journey brings father and son closer together in a very touching story. Love the story and characters! Sadly this book feels like the finality to the series which I really hope it's not! Would love to read more adventures about Byron and Bassan!
Elizabeth Seckman
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just like the other books in this series, this was a great read. I enjoyed all the books in this series, but must choose this one as my favorite. Fast paced, this story had everything a favorite book needs: wonderful characters, intriguing plot, and enough action to keep the heart racing without being over done.
Lisa Buie-Collard
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great finish to a great series. Characters are vividly written and I found I cared very much about what happened to Bassan. That's all I'm saying! No spoilers here...CassaStorm
Jemi Fraser
So good!! What a great wrap up to the trilogy! The characters and the world get deeper and even more intriguing. Love the new 2ndary characters, especially Bassan & Piten. I didn't see the ending coming and yet it's a perfect fit. A fantastic read!
Tom Riggio
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book.

First of all, I can't wait for the next book in this series. The addition of the young boy just made this story so much more personal because of his relationship with his father. It really hit home with me. Great job Mr Cavanaugh

• Sign of the Green Dragon
  • Seismic Crimes (Disaster Crimes #2)
  • Monsters in Our Wake
  • The Hollow Sun (The Hollow Sun #1)
  • Honesty (Mark of Nexus, #3)
  • L.A. Punk Rocker: Stories of Sex, Drugs and Punk Rock That Will Make You Wish You'd Been in There.
  • A Life Earthbound (Dryad Quartet #3)
  • Splintered Energy
  • Dragonblood Throne: Legacy
  • DREAD: A Horror Collection
  • Ocean Kills (Ocean Breeze, #1)
  • The Sidekick Chronicles (Gryphon, #2.5)
  • Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)
  • Fusion Fire (Firebird, #2)
  • The Backworlds (The Backworlds, #1)
  • Has Anyone Seen My Brain?
  • Unity, Volume 1: To Kill a King
  • The Seventh Seal
I'm a science fiction writer on a journey of discovery...
I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree and work in web design, graphics and technical editing. I'm also the guitarist in a Christian rock band. A fan of all things science fiction, my interests range from books and movies to music and games. Online I'm the Ninja Captain and founder of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group. I'm the author of the

CassaStar (3 books)
  • CassaStar
  • CassaFire
“Young rebel. Determined to change Tgren. He just might succeed someday." Orellen’s fingers tightened around Byron’s arm. "Just like another rebel I know."
"I just wanted your niece.”
0 likes