Start by marking “The Healing Power of Play: Working with Abused Children” as Want to Read:
The Healing Power of Play: Working with Abused Children

The Healing Power of Play: Working with Abused Children

This book describes how therapists can both facilitate constructive play therapy and intervene in posttraumatic play to help children who have been traumatized by abuse or neglect achieve a positive resolution. Traditional techniques of play therapy are reviewed for their application to this population. Throughout, numerous therapeutic aids are described to enhance the chi ...more
Published March 16th 1991 by The Guilford Press (first published March 15th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Healing Power of Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Healing Power of Play

Start your review of The Healing Power of Play: Working with Abused Children
Kellie Kuempel
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really great book with lots of case examples!
Kelly
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Though a little outdated, this book was really insightful and well written! The case studies were fascinating to read and I feel much more equipped to utilize play in my practice now. Reading this got me really excited to set up my own playroom and learn more about play therapy. :)
Kim Zarins
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a therapist, but anyone who cares about kids will appreciate this book. Play therapy sounds like such a humane way for kids to explore feelings that are too much for words, at least initially. I think what I'll come away with is (1) that kids do communicate what is going on in their lives, but they do so with actions (behavior, play) rather than words, and (2) that play alone is not enough for a child to work through a trauma, but rather (3) that it's the job of the therapist to pay atte ...more
Greta
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Eliana Gil does a thorough exploration of play therapy with children in her book, The Healing Power of Play. The stories are hard to read and easy to cry over, but sound true when the play therapy is described in detail a a remedy. There is hope of comfort for children who have experienced intense pain.
Teresa
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book on working with traumatized children.
Deborah Woods
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book to re-read. Always relevant.
Jessica
Sep 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
I first read this book as an undergrad when I was writing my Senior Thesis on working with children of Domestic Violence. I recently read it again, or, parts of it, when I started my work as a school based therapist. This book is great at helping to understand the meaning and the metaphor behind kids' play and drawings, a must for anyone working with children therapeutically. It current sits on my desk at work for a quick reference.
Ruby Ann
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: play-therapy
This is the book I would recommend to anyone who is curious about play therapy. I like that Gil offer a concise history and explanation of the different theories and practices that inform play therapy. Her explanation of the difference between directive and non-directive play therapy is especially helpful. The case presentations at the end show how the theory can be best applied in therapeutic sessions. From now on, I know I'll be thinking "WWEGD?" (What Would Eliana Gil Do?)
Lindsay
Jun 24, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology, children
A good how-to read for the burgeoning clinical psychotherapist who doesn't know what the hell to do, or where to begin, should they have a child client who has been a victim of abuse. The reader will encounter a plethora of case examples and receive a solid grounding in "what to look for" when scanning for potential child abuse.
Mindy
May 02, 2009 rated it liked it
It took me months to finish this because I got bored halfway through. For someone who is familiar with play therapy, the first part is too general and unhelpful. I regained interest in the second half for the case studies.
Carol
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clinical
Great refresher in play therapy strategies. Nicely organized research, good play tips, materials suggestions and some case studies that elucidate possibilities while in session with kids who have suffered complex trauma.
Laurelina
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Gil is a pioneer in Play Therapy techniques especially dealing with the non-directives forms of therapy. I thought this book was interesting especially for those that are looking to learn more about play and how it could help traumatized children project thier true potential.
Katie
Jul 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really great for anyone working with kids. Especially Social Workers. Clinical examples are very real,but really great learning opportunities.
Emily
May 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psych-reference
Pretty good. Read it for class. Has some basic info about play therapy with abused children, then several case studies. Most of these were pretty depressing, yet hopeful.
krissy
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Helpful. Good case studies.
Joan Friedrich
Highly recommended for counselors/social workers/psychologists intending to provide play therapy for children.
Ally
Jun 21, 2017
Janeen
Jan 15, 2010
Justin Leenhouts
rated it did not like it
Sep 24, 2017

• Play Therapy: The Art of the Relationship
  • Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook: Eat Like You Give a F*ck
  • Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
  • Tying and Flying: Bondage for self-suspension
  • The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest (Mollie Katzen's Classic Cooking)
  • The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From Cauldron Cakes to Knickerbocker Glory--More Than 150 Magical Recipes for Wizards and Non-Wizards Alike
  • Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving
  • Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat
  • Gluten-Free Slow Cooker: Easy Recipes for a Gluten Free Diet
  • Mindfulness for Teen Anger: A Workbook to Overcome Anger and Aggression Using MBSR and DBT Skills
  • Cooking with Trader Joe's Cookbook Gluten Free
  • The G-Free Diet: A Gluten-Free Survival Guide
  • Kindle Buffet: Find and download the best free books, magazines and newspapers for your Kindle, iPhone, iPad or Android
  • Open Book
  • Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith and Love
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • When the Devil Holds the Candle (Konrad Sejer, #4)
  • Little Scarlet (Easy Rawlins #9)

News & Interviews