Start by marking “Montessori Play And Learn: A Parent's Guide to Purposeful Play from Two to Six” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Montessori Play And Le...

Lesley Britton

Montessori Play And Learn: A Parent's Guide to Purposeful Play from Two to Six

We all want the best possible starts in life for our children, and one of the best possible starts in life, educationally, is the "method" pioneered by Maria Montessori and taught successfully today throughout the world.

Now, Lesley Britton, the leading Montessori practitioner in England for more than twenty years, will show parents how to bring Montessori home. If you woul
Published December 29th 1992 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about Montessori Play And Learn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Montessori Play And Learn

Jen
Apr 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Good reminder to let my kids have responsibility in living as part of a family and household. The more they are allowed to grow and help as a functional part of our home, the more I see them feel valued and proud of the home we create together.
Angela
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Borrowed this from the library, and then bought it for my shelf. Great recommendations for activities for kids 2-5. A whole preschool "curriculum" if you want it to be; there was a very informative, brief introduction to Montessori and the theory behind the method, a nice "Ages & Stages" Chart with physical/emotional/social skills development, and very nice suggestions for how to plan/set up your home so your kids are part of it!
Jill
Jul 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This has some really great ideas for implementing Montessori methods in your everyday routing.
FarmFreshJessica
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great ideas, easily incorporated into one's lifestyle. Practical and succinct; perfect for a busy parent.
Tova
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Montessori activities to support kids at home, whether or not they attend a Montessori school. There's even instructions for making some of the works that are available for purchase.
Eine
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Very practical, you can apply all the example at home for your children
Tanya
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book as a teacher working in a Montessori based program. I was hoping to get ideas for the classroom. This book had a lot of interesting information, and many, many ideas. I think it would be better for a parent, because the ideas are scattered throughout the ages. Since it is written for parents rather than teachers, that’s appropriate.
Nurul
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Baca versi yang diterbitkan B first hehe, kalau ini versi aplikatifnya, bagaimana menyiapkan lingkungan, ide bermain dll 😍
Elizabeth
Sep 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008, non-fiction
This was a pretty good little book. It felt like it might have been aimed more for parents who are doing montessori at home rather than supporting montessori at home for children who go to montessori school. There were lots of games and activities that we probably would never have time to do.

There was some good stuff on how to arrange rooms but if you don't do traditional room arrangments (i.e. we don't keep any toys in JD's room) it would need to be adapted.

I wish there had been a little mor
A.
Sep 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012, did-not-finish
Super unimpressed in Montessori. I suppose all education has theory without research to it, but I thought Montessori was based on research and apparently it's not at all (though it does coincide with modern research at times, according to the book). Also, I thought the games were weird and contrived. Wholly unimpressed. I imagine it makes for fine preschool, but no way am I going to do this at home when we could be doing something fun instead.
Mary
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it
The Montessori method is really very common sense and practical. Its a great guideline for teaching any child. The activities were what interested me the most. They are very visually based and that works exceptionally well for kids on the Autism Spectrum. Looking forward to putting some of them to use!
Jamie
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! It's an excellent overview of the whys and hows of the Montessori method for preschoolers. I'd recommend it especially to parents with children between the ages of six months and four years old! Very, very good resource.
Cathy
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
nice intro to Montessori methods at home
Sabrina
Dec 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
I love reading these books about children and different ideas of teaching/raising kids!
Meredith Henning
Jan 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Good Montessori overview with lots of pictures for activities and how to pout them together!
AJ Conroy
Nov 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
The author seems to assume that parents are morons with advice like, hang bath toys in the tub so that they don't drip in the tub. Gee, thanks.
Brandielle
Feb 08, 2012 marked it as couldn-t-get-through
I wish Montessori books would spend less time telling me how to organize my house and more time on the simple learn and play games they advertize.
Emily
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a good basic intro to Montessori, but I wanted a bit more information.
Ruth
Jun 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: homeschool
Descriptions of Montessori games were easy to understand, and pictures helped illustrate them. I came away with a few ideas I can actually implement.
Katrina

• Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child
  • Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years
  • How To Raise An Amazing Child the Montessori Way
  • Montessori from the Start: The Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three
  • Adventures in Gentle Discipline: A Parent-to-Parent Guide (La Leche League International Book)
  • Learning All The Time
  • Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius
  • Nighttime Parenting (Revised): How to Get Your Baby and Child to Sleep
  • Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
  • Basic Montessori: Learning Activities For Under-Fives
  • Kid Cooperation: How to Stop Yelling, Nagging, and Pleading and Get Kids to Cooperate
  • The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World as Your Child's Classroom
  • Calm and Compassionate Children: A Handbook
  • Understanding Waldorf Education: Teaching from the Inside Out
  • The Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart
  • Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • Guiding the Gifted Child: A Practical Source for Parents and Teachers