Start by marking “The Cure” as Want to Read:
The Cure

The Cure

Erin Palmer had a devastating encounter with a psychopath as a child. Now a grad student and scientist, she's devoting her life to studying these monsters. When her research catches the attention of Hugh Raborn, a brilliant neuroscientist who claims to have isolated the genes responsible for psychopathic behavior, Erin realizes it may be possible to reverse the condition, ...more
Published September 17th 2013 by Forge Books (first published September 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Cure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cure

Start your review of The Cure
Anne
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it

Spoiler Alert!
But I personally think people will want this one...

description

There are aliens in this story.
Now, it may seem like I've just given away a huge plot point and potentially ruined the story. Hmmm.
Maybe I have, but I don't think so.
And here's why:
Do you think readers who like stories about aliens are going to look twice at this book after reading the blurb?
No. No, they will not. It's obviously a psychological thriller.
And do you think fans of thrillers are going to be pleased when halfw
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

Douglas E. Richards is known for his mind-bending science fiction thrillers that are a touch different from the mainstream variety, not to mention a penchant for throwing in unexpected twists that will leave you reeling. I finally got the chance to experience Richards' work for myself with his newest techno-thriller The Cure, and it appears that his knack for storytelling has not been exaggerated.

But first, readers should
Dianne
Do you like edge of your seat thrillers that touch on science and science fiction? Looking for that escape into something that is both intriguing and intense? The Cure by Douglas E. Richards fit the bill for me, and went beyond with one of those “I didn’t see THAT one coming,” plot twists that had my imagination running full tilt! As a young child, Erin Palmer has had her life shredded in front of her eyes by a twisted monster who felt no qualms about the vile acts he committed. Having grown int ...more
Michele
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had never read any of Douglas E. Richards books before-I tend to not read Science Fiction too often, but this one had me curious. This is classified as a science fiction/technothriller and it is certainly a hold onto your hat you are going for a fast ride down a dangerous path kind of book. It really has a lot of twists and turns and kept me totally enthralled. This is one of those sci-fi books that you hope will continue being sci-fi for MANY more years to come!! Read it!!

The first chapter w
Alan Page
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you liked Wired and Amped, you won't be disappointed.
Lauren Smith
This is the kind of book that I used to find lying around the house after my mother bought it at a sale and then forgot about it. A book no one’s heard of but, based on the blurb, it could be an entertaining mystery/thriller/adventure. I’d ignore it until I was bored and had nothing else to read in the middle of the school holidays, and probably find it enjoyable in that context. In my limited experience I might not have noticed how The Cure is like a made-for-TV movie with an unknown cast of ba ...more
Douglas Richards
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
WARNING THIS IS NOT A REVIEW.

It has come to my attention that several people who follow my reviews were not aware that this book was available, so I wanted to be sure to write this so it is sent on to everyone who is following my reviews (there is probably a better way, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this sort of thing). I will delete this in a few days. Thanks! Doug (Douglas E. Richards)
Patrick
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
"When Erin Palmer was twelve years old, on a night which began very much like every other night of her young life, she witnessed her family slaughtered by a man with no conscience. A bonafide psychopath. Because of her dark past – or perhaps in spite of it – she is now one of the most promising doctoral candidates in the country for her research into psychopathy. She works one-on-one with the most violent convicted felons, exploring their behavior and the way their brains function.

Erin’s ultima
Joe Hempel
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review is courtesy of topoftheheapreviews.com

Psycopathy can be defined as an individual that manifests amoral and anti-social behavior. We typically classify murderers and rapists as psychopaths. So what happens when a cure is discovered? This book by microbiologist Douglas E. Richards delves into that difficult to understand realm and takes you on one interesting ride.

Douglas E. Richards is incredibly smart. It’s very obvious when you read this book. He is able to take such a complex subj
Ansley
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book really jumped the shark for me. I definitely misread the summary on Amazon apparently, because it started out like a good biotech thriller, but then became unbelievable. I think I confused the author with Douglas Preston, so it's my own fault.
Michael
Oct 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library
I was trying my best to give it a fighting chance but when the twist came mid-plot, my heart sank. It just didn't make any sense to me at all.

It just got more and more weird and in the end I just gave up on the book.
Shakib
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edge of your seat thriller

This dude is a great storyteller! His stories have incredible twists and turns and have a big picture threat level that is both terrifying and believable at the same time. I have read several of his books and I only wish his writing style was slightly more mature. As it is it’s a bit pulpy. But the stories and his storytelling is amazing. I don’t know why Hollywood is not optioning his films for movies.
Jennifer Deshpande
Oct 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Didn’t get to the end. I got pissed off when the aliens showed up.
Tim Thullen
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Far fetched but interesting and exciting read. Not as good as two previous books, wired and amped. Worth a read.
Norm Davis
4-5-STARS-15percent-small
It started slow, that's a valid gripe - or slow for Douglas E. Richards. He usually starts with something like pulling the rip cord and the parachute lines tangle. The jumper fails to cut away the tangled parachute and in a panic deploys the back up which only tangles things up further. Petty intense.

This one does start with some traumatically cringe-worthy psychopathic brutality and only one surviving child, who is our protagonist. So my slow argument doesn't really hold up very well. But that'
Eric Westrope
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I loved Wired and Amped, but found this story a bit hard to get into and finish. Not that I hated it. The story just had a few twists in the plot that I did not expect and threw me off. It might take me another reading down the road to actually get into the story and appreciate it better, in which case I will revise my rating.
Jonas Salonen
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: previously-owned
Now this book was surprising. I won't tell anyhting about the plot as I don't want to spoil the book... But it was interesting and surprising.

Richards' writing style is very nice and fluent and it was a joy to read. The opening scene is disgusting. I know Richards has his reasons for writing that but it still is disgusting. Thankfully the opening is pretty short and the book does not continue that style.

One problem I had with this book was the main character. Even though Richards tries his best
Crystal Tilley
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my dirt book by this author and wow what a doozy of a book you will not be bored reading this book i had a hard time putting it sown. There is mostly dialog in the book but I'm fine with that As long as i like the characters. The start of the book was pretty gruesome to say the least And was very hard to get thru. Any violence against animals and children is hard for me. But it gives you a better understanding of who she is how she thinks and feels and her actions.

Im excited to read mor
Alli Saleh-Goad
So..this book threw me for a major loop.
I thought this was going to be a story about a woman detective confronting her worst enemy in the end. Oh, how I was wrong. And I was really off and this book kinda lead me down a weird path. Interesting, fast read. When I found out what Drake was, I hesitated to finish the book due to how ridiculous it sounded. But, I was interested how it played out. I’m not one for mystery, but I like a good twist. It’s definitely a weird one. Lots of physics and quantu
John Brown
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Douglas Richards surprises me again

I’ve enjoyed the plot twists from many of his books and have come to recognize them as I’m familiar with his books, but this one caught me off guard. Every time I expected it to go one way, the whole story line had a paradigm shift I did not expect or predict. The only disappointing part of this book is no epilogue explaining the topics and research that I’ve grown fond of reading.
Don
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love his writing so I guess this is a bias review. I do take exception to smelling sex? Really? Anyway he really warped together this one, with four aliens coming to earth and seventeen galaxies of other life? I guess he really feels there’s a lot out there in the universe. He did break the Speed of Light barrier though, I have always felt there is a way around it. Great Read!
Gary Davis
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Also excellent

But I missed the examples of research that he puts at the end of most of his books. I only hope there is actual research going on in area of finding a cure for such a terrible disease. The world does need leaders in all categories but not the kind that he so eloquently describes.
C
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great thriller from Richards! I really missed the "what was real and what wasnt" at the end though.

Richards is a master. This is a little less "technothriller" and more "thriller" than the rest of his in my opinion. Cant wait for his next book!
Mark Gunnell
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Steven Trepeck
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great SiFi thriller.

Interesting concept and great characters. Strong female lead. If you can get through the first few chapters, which might be hard for some, you will enjoy the unique plot and twists.
Pat Bradford
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Space aliens

I thought book was about science, but next thing I know there are Wraps (space aliens) among us. The story was difficult to keep up with, people switching from one side to the other of the two groups. I read it all but the last few chapters were slow.
Sharon
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as I'd hoped. The beginning was confusing as it went back and forth from present day to past events with no clear demarcation. Very Star Trekky.
Laura Drumm
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love science fiction

This is the author for you. I’ve now read 4 of his books and can’t wait for the next one. Recommend highly!
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing read. Full of twists and turns. A perfect blend of thriller and science fiction.
Jessie Maisonville
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book lots of twists and turns.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Audible edition 3 14 Aug 20, 2018 06:20PM
Kindle Edition? 1 4 Oct 29, 2013 10:45AM

• New Eden
  • Augmented
  • Quantum Time (Quantum, #3)
  • CyberSpace (CyberStorm #2)
  • Starship Sakira (Delphi in Space #1)
  • Delphi Alliance (Delphi in Space #5)
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
  • Delphi Station (Delphi in Space #3)
  • Delphi Nation (Delphi in Space #4)
  • Quantum Space (Quantum, #1)
  • Quantum Void (Quantum, #2)
  • The Door: Science Fiction Mystery
  • Delphi Exploration (Delphi in Space Book 7)
  • Nomad (Nomad, #1)
  • The Last Monument
  • 3zekiel
  • Artifact (The Artifact Series Book 1)
  • Occupied Earth (The Sequel to First Encounter) (Ascension Wars Book 2)
Douglas E. Richards was born on May 7th, 1962. He grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio with his parents and his sister, Pam. He went to Finneytown High School, and then graduated with a degree in microbiology from Ohio State University, a master's degree in molecular biology from the University of Wisconsin, and a master's degree in business administration from the University of Chicago.

Douglas now lives