Start by marking “Electing To Murder (McRyan Mystery Series, #3)” as Want to Read:
Electing To Murder (McRyan Mystery Series, #3)

Electing To Murder (McRyan Mystery Series #3)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  1,516 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Ruthless killers...grizzly deaths...escalating stakes...

A clandestine late night meeting in Kentucky, a murder in a seedy St. Paul motel, a mysterious investigator operating in the shadows and dueling political masterminds all collide to provide Mac McRyan with the ultimate test in ELECTING TO MURDER.
Published 2013

To ask other readers questions about Electing To Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Electing To Murder

Jean
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tight presidential election, a Republican candidate named Donald (with a son named Donald, Jr.), a clandestine meeting, Super PACs, and election fraud. Wait! Electing To Murder was published in 2013! And it’s fiction! Roger Stelljes’ third McRyan cop mystery is a political thriller that takes Detective Michael MacKenzie McRyan away from his beat in St. Paul, Minnesota, to Milwaukee and even to Washington, D.C. What begins as a “simple” murder at a sleazy hotel on Snelling Avenue in St. Paul so ...more
Jenny
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery, thriller
Electing To Murder is book three in the McRyan Mystery Series by Roger Stelljes. One night in St Paul Jason Stroudt was killed in his motel room. This incidental start Detective Michael Mckenzie McRyan on a rollercoaster ride to try and find who killed Jason Stroudt and why. Readers of Electing To Murder will love the ending of this book.

I enjoy reading this series and the characters especially Detective Michael Mckenzie McRyan. I like the way Roger Stelljes portrays and intertwine his characte
Lori McD
Don't know WHY GR doesn't have the right book cover and info about this book... it's recently released, but still....

ANYWAY, we have a change of pace in this book. Mac gets pulled into homicide and politics and potential voter fraud via electronic voting machines in this fast-paced thriller filled with suspense and intrigue.

The Setting: 2012 - about 1 week before the presidential election. No, it's not Obama vs. Romney - of course not! It's the Republican vice presidential candidate (Republicans
Mike Kennedy
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: roger-stelljes
I really liked the latest in the latest installment in the Mac McRyan series. I think this book was a step up from Deadly Stilwater, #2 in the series. I found this book fast paced, and a page turner. Stelljes did a great job using the presidential election theme as a vehicle to drive the story line. Mac McRyan reminds me a lot of another fictional Minnesota detective who does what it takes to get the job done, John Sanford's Lucas Davenport. There characters are very similar. Both are no nonsens ...more
Tulay
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Political murder mystery.

This book could be another House of Cards. Main character Mac is bipartisan, and I believe author is too. Good level headed Republican vice president and democratic governor Minnesota, running for the presidency. Campaign manager Connelly for the VP is thousands times worse than Karl Rove, VP son also helping. But he's not like his father. In the other side, respected MN judge and his trusted investigator ex-FBI Wire. Super packs, big money, election fraud. Innocent peop
Carol and Gary Curtis
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gary-has-read
Excellent series. This story did not disappoint. It did bogged down sometimes, early on but picked up later. The lead character is quite interesting and I'm sure will be just as daring in future sequels.
Quentin Feduchin
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
A really workmanlike book, well worth reading and really quite satisfying. However there are problems.
This author's primary problem is his apparent admiration for his own character! He extols his virtues, not to mention his good fortune, at pretty well every turn.
Mac McRyan is tall, lean, exceedingly handsome, undoubtedly a heart-throb, has incredible sex, is surrounded by totally gorgeous dames, is highly intelligent, exceedingly (that word again) perceptive, smart, confident, and to cap it al
Jim A
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Part police procedural investigating a murder and part political thriller. While I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Deadly Stillwater, it was still a pretty fun read.

Mac MacRyan, a St. Paul, MN homicide detective, gets involved in some political intrigue on the eve of a presidential election. Flips back and forth between the political aspects and the police hunting the killers and trying to figure out the why as well as the who.

Once again with Stelljes writing, it requires a few leaps of faith.
Black Butterfly
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BOOKBUB
Shelves: mysteries
ANOTHER GREAT READ, I LOVED THE OTHER BOOK, BUT THIS ONE WAS? GEEZ WHO-DID-DO-IT? THIS BOOK HAD ME STUMPED TILL THE BADDEST GUY WAS FINALLY REVEALED. I LOVED THE ACTION AND THE STORYLINE, EVEN THOUGTH IT FRIGHTENED ME BECAUSE POLITICAL ELECTIONS HAVE BECOME VERY SUSPECT TO ME. WHAT WAS DONE IN THE BOOK I BELIEVE COULD REALLY HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE (if it hasn't already). SHUTTER! I LOVE MAC AND HIS LADY LOVE SALLY, BECAUSE THEY STANDBY EACH OTHER AND THEIR CONVICTIONS. IT'S NICE TO SEE A RELATIONSH ...more
Gail Mchugh
Feb 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently, Mac McRyan is the smartest person in the whole world. The director of the CIA or the FBI or the whatever seems to think so. Even the president of the USA must go to bed at night thanking Mac for taking care of the world. Too much for me. He is the only man who thinks of everything. He tells co-workers what to do. He is so well known it is annoying. I am done with Mac McRyan. The premise is good. Voting machines manipulated. But there is never time for any of the other characters beca ...more
Dr. Carpenter
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story line, but--

Stlljes does a nice job on this storyline dealing with election fraud. There are a few jump the shark moves that take our hero from a local detective to leading the FBI toward resolving the murders and the money that funded the murders. My biggest issue is with his grammatical errors and typos. I hope he learns the appropriate use of when to use "me" after a preposition.
Tara Guertin
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book and couldn't put it down. It fits in perfectly with this crazy political season we are having. As far as people saying they won't read Roger's books anymore because of how this story may have portrayed Republicans, IT'S FICTION PEOPLE! He had to pick a side!
Lindsay
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not entirely sure why this one took me so long to read - I actually really enjoyed it. Between traveling & work, I guess time got away from me. Anyway, it was also especially creepy to be reading during the election season, as there were a frightening amount of similarities... and this was written long before the 2016 season.
One of the things I liked about this book is when Mac and Wire figured out what was going on, it was maybe only 40% into the book. I was like, man, this is going to
Deborah Wood
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Stelljes, his characters, his painting the setting for each event, his deep research into subjects he covers, his slowly developing plots - sometimes he does get bogged down in detail - a minor flaw for a great read - the audiobook performance was an easy 5 - the eBook helped me slide through the slower parts - overall I recommend this to political fans - not overly "thrilling" but a solid read -- lots of action but a rather formulaic plot which surprised me for Stelljes, very rare that I ...more
Marilyn Lawrence
Review of: "Electing To Murder"

While I like this author's writing style, I hate politics, so when this story got bogged down with political text and dialogs, I bailed out and didn't finish. Sorry.
Penelope Sturm-Borkert
Great reading

This book caught my attention immediately & never failed to peak my interest. Excellent plot & development of information to solve mystery
Bernie
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Electing to Murder is the third book in the McRyan Mystery series written by author Roger Stelljes. Another excellent read.
Trish Pendleton
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced

Lots of action to keep you engaged and some interesting new characters to add to the story line. Looking forward to seeing where Mac goes from here.
Shirley Alvarez
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ELECTING TO MURDER

Believe me. Everyone needs to read this book. Mr. Stilljes is one smart man. Was this our last election? No spoilers. Please read. It needs ten stars.
David Berkley
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an election !

This was a great page turner again in the series. Can't wait for the next book in the series and see what happens next.
Debbie Oxier
I am sorry to say I didn't finish this. I got about half way through and was so bored with it I put it down. I have read the author before and enjoyed his work. I really like the main character and his partner but for some reason this just didn't do it for me. Not sure if it was the plot itself or the other players involved but it was disappointing. Maybe someone else would feel differently.
Nancy
Marti
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
The second of the five books Barnes & Noble has asked me to review, this was a rather action-packed book. I am fairly sure that I have read another Mac McRyan book before. In this one, he teams with Darla Wire, a former FBI agent, to find out what is happening in the presidential campaign--why people are being killed, and eventually why the voting machines are being rigged in favor of one candidate. There is a European connection, and someone named The Bishop is behind all this. Mac's longti ...more
Henry Lawrence
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ready-to-read
I liked this book a lot. However, it seemed like the climax came halfway through the book and the rest of the book was anti-climatic. The ultimate solution was very predictable and you keep reading thinking just get it over with.
I have been concerned about the move to electronic voting. I has always seemed subject to hacking.
I do plan to go back and read earlier books in the series.
Marie
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kept you guessing

I am a new fan of McRyan Mystery Series with this being the second book I have read. Mr. Stelljes just joined a host of well known mystery writers that I believe are worth reading. The plot thickens as the story unveils and keeps you guessing right up until the end. Mac is a great character and his appeal grows on you. Great Read!
Janka
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really like this series, the story is well thought of, the characters are well developed, you cant help it but love Mac and Sally. The only downside of this story for me - and this is purelly personal opinion - too much politics. I do not like politics and I felt it was a bit too much about politics and not enough of the murder investigation. Otherwise it would be 5 stars from me.
Arthur
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Electing to Murder - Thriller ( McRyan Mystery series)

Welcome to the inside of politics and politicians who work the system to their advantage regardless of the cost in money, men, and values. All that matters is that they are the winner. Doubtful, jump on board and take a thrilling ride, one you won't want to miss.
Dawn
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Familiar Election!!

Mac and a temporary partner Dara Wire investigate murder done while the election is only days away. Coincidence? Mystery and suspense readers will love this book. Stelljes has come into his own on this super fast paced, "elect"rifying story. Will continue to read all of the rest of Stelljes books. Happen the rest move as fast as this one did.
Jim Burger
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each book is getting better!

In the absence of Mitch Rapp after our local St Paul authors passing, it feels like Mac McRyan is the heir apparent with Roger Stelljes latest book tackling more than just Minnesota and going national! I'm off to read book#5!
Gregory D Glover
Amazing Read

Amazing Read

This is my third book and by far the best. This book will keep you captivated and intrigued until the very end.
Look forward to the next one in the series.
  • Guilt by Degrees (Rachel Knight, #2)
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • The Pucelle Connection (Genevieve Lenard, #6)
  • Glare Ice (Claire Watkins, #3)
  • February Fever
  • The Lance (The Project, #2)
  • Fatal Liaison
  • Draycott Everlasting: Christmas Knight & Moonrise (Draycott Abbey #7.5 & 6)
  • Dial M: The Murder of Carol Thompson
  • A Disappearance in Drury Lane (Captain Lacey, #8)
  • Chicken Caccia-Killer (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #4)
  • GhosTV (PsyCop, #6)
  • Capitol Offense (Bill Travis Mysteries #2)
  • Vestments
  • Undercover Lover (Covert Attractions, #2)
  • Turn to Stone (Jonathan Stride, #5.6)
  • Slash and Burn (Joe Hunter, #3)
  • Dominance Never Dies (Masters and Mercenaries, #11)
NYT and USA Today bestselling author of the McRyan Mystery series. New release FATALLY BOUND is now available.
More about Roger Stelljes...

McRyan Mystery Series (6 books)
  • The St. Paul Conspiracy (McRyan Mystery Series, #1)
  • Deadly Stillwater (McRyan Mystery Series, #2)
  • Fatally Bound (McRyan Mystery Series, #4)
  • Blood Silence (McRyan Mystery Series, #5)
  • Next Girl On The List (McRyan Mystery Series, #6)

“was unusual for him to have” 0 likes
“Unfortunately, the best and the brightest rarely ran for public office in these polarized political times and the country ultimately suffered for it.” 0 likes