Start by marking “Four Summers” as Want to Read:
Four Summers

Four Summers

Charlotte Gates is tired of being Charlie Rae. She loves the lake she was raised on, their rental cabins, and spending her nights under the stars…but inside she yearns for more.

After his freshman year, Nathaniel Chase’s family spends their first summer at The Village. From the beginning Charlotte intrigues him. She’s the girl who always says what’s on her mind, wins at nig
Published April 27th 2013 by Nyrae Dawn

To ask other readers questions about Four Summers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Summers

✦❋Arianna✦❋
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
“When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew.” – William Shakespeare

description

Charlotte Gates lives and works at her family’s resort. She is tired to be known only as ‘Charlie Rae’. Even if she loves her life, the lake and her family's cabins she wants more than the life she has right now. She loves looking at the stars and she wants to explore the world. Her family needs and expects her to stay forever in Lakeland Village. Besides her family, Charlie has Alec, her best friend, the
Jennifer Kyle
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
”Follow your stars if you want, Star Girl. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t.”

description

Four Summers by Nyrae Dawn had me hooked from the first chapter. The story was everything a teenage girl dreams of happening during your summer vacation…meeting the boy of your dreams!!

The book is cleverly told over the course of four summers in alternating povs. The first summer told from Charlotte’s pov and the second Nathaniel Chase’s and so on.

I loved the love story of Star Girl and the boy who wore his h
Wendy Higgins
If you've read a lot of Nyrae's stuff, I'll just tell you that Four Summers is at the younger YA end of the spectrum for her. It's got a sweet innocence to it, despite the serious issues it deals with toward the end. Watching these characters grow up and face their challenges is a special, heartfelt journey. The summers are told from dual point of views, which was very well done. Another lovely romance from Nyrae. :)
Vanessa
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 Summer Love Stars!

This book was just what the doctor ordered. Young, innocent love...so beautiful. I don't usually read YA, but this had all the components of YA romance- the innocence, the sweet tender love story full of firsts, but none of the OTT drama that usually comes with a YA.

Just a beautiful love story from start to finish. I couldn't put it down. Absolutely brilliant premise for a book. How many of us girls didn't dream about meeting the perfect boy on those boring family vacays ba
★Ruth★
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think my favorite thing about this novel was that though there was angst it wasn't OTT unrelateable angst.
Anyone who has experienced a summer romance, be it fling or intense can relate to how both characters felt.

Nate was adorable & so sweet. And was just such a normal guy.
He had his own moments of angst as all teens do but he didn't become a total douche or become the ultimate bad boy.
Don't get me wrong I love a good "bad" boy but its refreshing to have a novel where he is just a guy
This is the third book of Nyrae's I've read and again I was not disappointed. The premise of this book was AMAZING. I have never read a book that was spread out over 4 summers. I loved that each summer was a different POV. I think it made the story even better hearing both sides of the story. This book was an incredible story about 2 teenagers on a journey to discover who they are. Not knowing that each one would find something wonderful in each other. I would definitely recommend this book to a ...more
Tracey Ramey
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I pretty much read anything Nyrae Dawn writes. I mean, I drop everything and read her books the day they come out. I don't eat or sleep, I don't pass go and I certainly don't collect $200. I'm never disappointed and I've come to the point where I actually start to have withdrawals if a new book doesn't come out every couple of months. I start to wonder, where is she? When is she going to get that book out? How much longer do I need to wait? Then I stalk her on facebook and twitter until I get so ...more
Lisa Kane
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first summer of this novel finds Charlie Rae age 15, helping out her father with his camp alongside her best friend, Alec at the Village in the town of Lakeland Village. She feels overworked and underappreciated. Her mother and her sister, Sadie Ann, are indifferent at best to her. She can never earn her mother’s admiration. Guys are not something that interests her at this point in her life either, that is until…

“I believe that everyone has certain key moments in their lives they’ll never f
Stephanie Parent
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I didn't realize how much I needed to read a book like Four Summers, until I started it! I have been reading a lot of NA and older YA--this is likely because most of the popular YA titles right now seem to have an older tone to them--and Four Summers reminded me why I love real, pure YA. I love reading books about the characters' firsts--first love, first kisses, first struggles, first heartbreaks. And Four Summers absolutely delivered. I loved that Nyrae Dawn allowed her characters to be real t ...more
Dai
No fue para nada lo que esperaba, pero estuvo bien, supongo. Bonito y entretenido...

Me gustaron ambos personajes, y ver como con cada nuevo verano sus personalidades iban cambiando, creciendo y mejorando. La Charlie de ese primer verano no es la misma del último. Aunque puedo decir que Nathaniel seguía igual de celoso e inseguro.

Aunque mi personaje favorito es Brandon, sencillamente porque me siento conmovida por su sufrimiento, me gustó que al final le contara la verdad a su hermano... Un paso
Jodie
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review was also posted at Fab, Fun and Tantalizing Reads.

Four Summers Collage

I'm not sure what I was expecting going into Four Summers. I just knew that after Charade and Measuring Up, that I would read anything that Dawn writes. So when I started reading, the smooth prose, beautiful words, humor and love really jumped out at me & showed me my worship of her was deserved.

Four Summers 1

Four Summers starts with 15 year old Charlie Rae, the girl with a passion for astronomy but the destiny of continuing her families l

Caitlin
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
“I believe everyone has certain key moments in their lives they’ll never forget. Moments marking the beginning or end of something. Moments that will always own a little piece of you.”

A sweet, innocent, slow-building, cute story of first loves, 4 summers, a girl trying to break free of her life and the boy who shows her it’s okay to want more.

[image error]

Charlotte Gates has always been Charlie Rae to those closest to her but now she’s ready for a change. She loves looking at the stars and one
Nila
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it

Summer, the lake, the stars, the new hot guy, what could possibly go wrong?

Teen-age Charlotte and Nathaniel form a deep friendship over three years as his family vacations in her father's Village cabins by the lake. They have an almost-immediate rapport, and this develops and deepens to romantic feelings and the stirrings of love.

Much keeps Charlotte and Nathaniel apart. His family lives far away, and it's never a given that they will meet again after each summers' end. Charlotte longs to leave
Trisha
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just absolutely AMAZING!

Nyrae Dawn never holds back. Always willing to take on tough topics and tough characters.

Don't read the synopsis or see the cover and think "it's the same ol' summer story."

This is new and sweet and has twists and turns that only Ms. Dawn could give us. And these characters are so real and so wonderful, that I will miss them tomorrow now that I'm done with the book.

I hope so so so so so much we get a book from Alec or Brandon's POV. It makes me giddy with just the idea.
Sarah Fitz
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: april-2013
Loved this book. Nate is the best :) Any chance of a sequel a few years down the road to see how everything turned out for all the characters?
Lisa
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book and my heart is all sappy and I have a big smile on my face. I simply adored this book!! It’s a story of young love that blossoms and matures over 4 summers. It’s a story about family and the sacrifices made for the sake of family. It’s a story of hope, encouragement, acceptance and most of all, Love. Teenage love. Friendship love. Romantic love. Family love. Unconditional love.

Charlie (short for Charlotte) is 15 years old and lives and works at her family-owned lake re
Fab Fun & Tantalizing Reads
This review was also posted at Fab, Fun and Tantalizing Reads.

Four Summers Collage

Four Summers 1

Lynn
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I enjoyed this story about a boy and girl over the course of 4 summers. I am always interested in character arcs and growth so part of what drew me in was the story spanning a good length of time. You see the nature of Nathaniel's and Charlotte's relationship change and how the balance of power and need shifts between the two. Throw in family issues- especially Nathaniel's brother, and factor in Charlotte's best friend Alec with his own issues and impact and there are a lot of aspects to this bo ...more
Camille
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
At first, I thought to myself "Oh, another cliche book." But throughout reading this piece, I was beginning to eat my words. From the end of the first summer until the last, this book had me staring very hard at the pages, never leaving my reading nook up until I have reached the very end. Let me just say, THIS BOOK IS FANTASTIC.

Main characters are Charlotte Rae Gates, more commonly known as Charlie to the people in their place called the Village. Her best friend who always helped her is Alec A
Loralee
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of The Summer I Turned Pretty series by Jenny Han, Callum & Harper by Fisher Amelie
Ms. Dawn, you have truly outdone yourself with this one.

What a smash for Nyrae Dawn. This proves that you don't need a graphic sex scene to make a book sexy.

Four Summers chronicles the lives of Charlotte Gates aka Charlie Rae, and Nathaniel Chase. Charlie and Nate become best friends and then some over the course of four summers in this book about growing up, chasing your dreams.

I loved these characters. Charlie, she's amazingly strong and still youthful and feminine. I loved Nate's attention t
Kassi
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I devoured this YA book. The story was breathtaking. Charlie is so strong and selfless and it was so hard to read the emotional turmoil that she faces on a daily bases. How can she leaves and follows her dreams when other ppl needed her so much? She's the most selfless character I've ever read about and for that, I admire her nobility.

The development of her relationship with Nate was paced in a realistic manner. It wasn't instant love, thank gosh, but she knew it was one of those type of moment
Michael Burhans
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Nyrae Dawn did what she always does. She wrote a great, unputdownable book. As with several other of her books, I have a major league book crush on the female protagonist.

This is undoubtedly going to be on my Top-Ten Books of the Year list. Over the course of 4 summers we get to watch a set of characters grow and change in believable ways. As they get older their worldview changes believable, their relationships change, and we learn new things about all of them.

Nyrae writes such believable p
Amelia Maren
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED everything about Four Summers! This is a perfect story to read on a day where you have nothing to do because you'll want to keep reading until the entire thing is completed - which is exactly what I did! I love how Charlotte and Nathaniel's story is told not only through the span of four summers but also through each of their perspectives.

From the very beginning I had butterflies in my tummy whenever Nate and Charlie had moments alone, which led to me have major swoon-age for
Beatriz
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of Nyrae Dawn's work and this is by far my favorite out of it all.

Four Summers is about friendship, discovering oneself and true love in a span of four years. All held in a small town wherein a teenage girl meets the boy of her dreams.

I love how the story was in alternating POV which gives us a peek on both Charlie and Nate's thoughts. It was written in such a clever manner. And the way Nyrae Dawn makes us see how each character grows without being rushed is amazing.

If I could gi
Son
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
From the innocence of a fifteen year old to the pressure of choices in early adulthood a beautiful sweet journey about growing up and discovering the person who you want to be.

Four Summers is a well written, well rounded story of love,discovery,heartbreak and life.

Do yourself a favor this year and read it!!
Nancy The book junkie
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon!
Shannen
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Totalmente lleno mis expectativas.
(view spoiler)
Glass
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, summer-books
Such a sweet story. It reminded me of Jenny Han's Summer trilogy.
Laura (Blame it on the Rain Reviews)
FOR MORE REVIEWS LIKE THIS ONE, CHECK OUT MY BLOG ~ BLAME IT ON THE RAIN

I’ve been staring at my computer screen for the last 15 minutes trying to decide whether or not to make this review spoiler free or tell you everything…I’ve decided to make you sweat a little, this review is spoiler free…

Starting at a nice steady pace, this book had great character and relationship development all the way through, as you get to watch the characters grow and mature over the four summers they are together. Fi
Rosalinda Herrera Erazo
Es una historia por así decirlo para leer mi y seguir adelante. Al inicio es una historia que promete mucho pero conforme pasan los verano como que aburren, fue desesperante como la personalidad de Charle y Nate es tan infantil. Ok es un libro para adolescentes pero nunca me había sentido tan frustrada como con ellos.
Charlotte, una chica con baja autoestima con mucha falta de valor por ella misma. Atrapada en que te ayudar hasta no poder mas a su padre. Una madre y hermana que no sólo la excluy

• Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • If I Fall
  • Never Goodbye (Albany Boys, #1)
  • Ever Enough (Ever Enough, #1)
  • Drowning in Love
  • No Attachments (Woodfalls Girls, #1)
  • Running Barefoot
  • Beside Your Heart (The Heart, #1)
  • Everything Changes
  • Faster We Burn (Fall and Rise, #2)
  • Don't Hate the Player...Hate the Game
  • Lost in Distraction (Lost, #1)
  • Mia's Heart (The Paradise Diaries, #2)
  • Collateral Damage (Cross My Heart, #2)
  • Haven from the Storm (Storms of Life, #1)
  • One Tiny Secret (Seasons of Deception, #1)
  • Love You More (Broken, #1)
  • AnguiSH (AnguiSH, #1)
I am a compulsive reader and writer who loves YA fiction.

I love nothing more than writing about young adults. There is something so fresh and fun about it. You can pretty much always find me with a book in my hand or open document in front of me.

I live in Southern California with my husband and two children.

“I believe that everyone has certain key moments in their lives they’ll never forget. Moments marking the beginning or end of something. Moments that will always own a little piece of you. You can track decisions you make or paths your life follows and they always lead back to one of these defining moments. This is one of them.” 22 likes
“What is it about stars that you love so much?” he asks.
That answer comes quickly. “Because they’re infinite. They’re miracles, and anything is possible when you look out into the massive space that goes on and on.” Because I want that. I want to explore and see what’s out there and feel as free as those stars in the sky.”
14 likes