Start by marking “Consuming the Word: The New Testament and the Eucharist in the Early Church” as Want to Read:
Consuming the Word: The New Testament and the Eucharist in the Early Church

Consuming the Word: The New Testament and the Eucharist in the Early Church

Published February 19th 2013 by Image (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Consuming the Word, please sign up.
Katharina I don't think that it will hurt to get more information about what the oldest branch of Christianity believes. It's a very interesting read. Hope this…moreI don't think that it will hurt to get more information about what the oldest branch of Christianity believes. It's a very interesting read. Hope this helps :) (less)

Start your review of Consuming the Word: The New Testament and the Eucharist in the Early Church
Stuart
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a convert to Catholicism, Scott Hahn was my security blanket for many years. I knew I could not go wrong reading him, and felt like I could relate to him in many ways. He wrote a mixture of accessible and scholarly works, and I felt a sense of accomplishment when I was able to upgrade to some of his more scholarly works. I would not be where I am today if it weren't for him and his many wonderful works. Consuming the Word is another one of those wonderful works.

If you ask a Christian today to
Nicola Mansfield
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have anxiously been awaiting Dr. Hahn's newest book which has been expected for some time now. This author has a way of totally blowing my mind with truths that just light up my world and positively show me the light of Christ. Hahn's books are usually written for the layperson and very easy to read, Consuming the Word, however is his third book written for both the layperson and priest thus, as noted in the Preface, requiring just an extra bit of effort on the layperson's part but by no means ...more
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-list
Twelve years ago, when I was buying and reading and borrowing every book Padre recommended, I read quite a bit of Scott Hahn. I can't remember if I started withHail Holy QueenorThe Lamb's Supper, but I devoured them both, along with at least two or three others.

I went to aLamb's Supper Bible study Father hosted and listened to a number of Hahn's talks in those years. I got what I thought was a pretty good feel for his style and the fact that he was The Man for all things Catholic.

Got a question?
Jennifer Wilson
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I was in high school, I was the top Bible quizzer for the northern half of my state. We had to memorize an entire book of the Bible and be able to answer some of the most obscure references out of it and give chapter and verse. But did you realize that chapter and verses were not part of the original text? St. Matthew wrote his book as a whole, and someone added the divisions later. I knew that for some time.

What I didn’t realize until much later was the same is true for the Bible. Dr.
Nathan Albright
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge-2018
My views on this book are mixed to positive. Viewed optimistically, there is a lot that I appreciate about this book and found worthwhile. The author discusses New Testament in a variety of ways, connecting the scriptures that we tend to call by that name to the earlier sense in which the NT Passover was the commemoration of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that established a new relationship between God and mankind. The author has a lot to say about the question of liturgy and how it should be ...more
Zachary
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mediocre
This book by Scott Hahn isn't bad, but it repeats (again) a lot of material that he's written about many times before. It also lacks any real scholarly dimension. He makes some good observations and syntheses, and from time-to-time he does do a little bit of interaction with scholarly positions, but overall, "Consuming the Word" is re-confirming my thought that Scott Hahn deserves the Most Overrated Theologian Award. In fact, I'm not even sure he counts as a theologian, since he has many popular ...more
Benjamin Malec
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biblical
Simple read, does a good job of showing the importance of the Liturgy, Sacrament, and New Testament by showing they are all dependent on each other
Elizabeth
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a super Catholic but there were parts that Orthodox would agree with. I just found it to be too heavily catholic where I was hoping for something that could bridge both Catholic and Orthodox. I also found the writing style hard to follow.
Orpiment99
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Scott Hahn describes the role of the Eucharist and development of the New Testament in the Early Church (roughly the first 3 or 4 centuries).

What today we consider the "New Testament" had a completely different set of meanings for the early Christians in the Catholic Church. The "canonical list" of books in the New Testament (that we are all familiar with today) was not developed until the 4th century; according to Scott Hahn, the term "canon" referred to all of Christian
John McCann
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although a Protestant, I like the Catholic teaching on the eucharist and marriage. This book is academic with references to famous teachers. The sacraments "take the place...of the miracles performed by the incarnate Christ." (page 116) I disagree with the Scriptures as co-authored by the writers. (page 123) And that "Jesus never told his Church to publish a book and get people to read it." (page 114) I also disagree with "The Bible is not just authentically human, but sometimes scandalously ...more
Argum
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Scott Hahn, this just wasn't my favorite. Probably my fault as I was expecting more Eucharist than I got based on the title. Instead Dr Hahn has us revisit the terms we throw about in the context of the Early Church. Mainly that the New Testament mustn't have referred to the book that didn't yet exist. It is actually about the Mass and the sacrifice which of course leads to covenant language. This is very important distinction and the covenants run through salvation history in ...more
Pat Murray
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I finally found a book by Mr. Hahn that is written at a level that allows the pew sitting not the university sitting readers.
He makes connection between Jesus as the Word and as Sacrament in the Eucharist. He does this by linking God in the Old Testament and the new Testament as revealed through tradition of the Catholic Church. It is not a long book which allows the reader not to get bogged down by the verbiage.
Danny
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great little book about the authorship and canonization of the New Testament as part of the liturgical life of the early church. It situates the New Testament in it's proper context as part of the Eucharistic gathering, having been written to be read liturgically. Not just to a hearing audience, but as an eschatological act, leading it's hearers to the moment that the word becomes flesh for us, in the Eucharist. Beautiful.
Brett Linsley
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Typically excellent work from Scott Hahn. Wonderful introduction to the oft-confusing but central Christians ideas of "logos" and "covenant." As Protestant exploring Catholicism, this is the best introductory text that manages to be readable without sacrificing the content of the theology. Well done!
Whitney Marie
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This was a well written book, and it picks up where the book The Lamb's supper left off. It makes me want to re-read the book The Lamb's Supper which this one follows. I did not know that there was ever a sequel to the book. I will recommend this book to the others to read, and I cannot wait to read it again.
Bill Breen
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Scott Hahn does it again!! He really ties the Bible and the Eucharist together --- they are inseparable. He provides easy, understandable access to the Early Church Fathers. READ THIS BOOK!! If you are Catholic -- you will be enriched. If you aren't Catholic -- you may be on your WAY! All are welcome!
Jason Hallmark
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
A n absolutely fabulous book... Scott Hahn does it again. He does a great job explaining how incredibly profound the Eucharist is to Christian worship. I found my faith deepened by reading this book.
Ashley
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Dr. Hahn's writings. I always leave with a new big idea to wrestle down. The length of his books is perfect for an afternoon sit down which is appreciated. He offers this broad understanding for which conceptions and connections can be made.
Daniel
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Next time the conversation turns to the early Church I will view it in a completely new (or should I say old) light. My participation at Mass and my Bible Reading have a new flavour. I will definitively read this book again to soak it all in.
Donna
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Keep this on your shelf for future reference. Excellent information. "If we read the New Testament as they wrote it, we'll read it from the heart of the Church. And that heart is Eucharistic. It is the heart of Jesus."
Phil Clymer
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I received a copy of Consuming the Word through the Goodreads giveaway. The book is well written and researched but it fell outside of my line of interests. Fans of Mr. Hahn's other works will no doubt find this title satisfying.
Erik Beyer
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to learn about the history of the bible, which ultimately leads to the history of the Eucharist in the Catholic church and why many churches not in the Catholic faith may be missing something originally intended in the early years.
Mary
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic, bible
So rich. This will take numerous readings to even begin absorbing. Word & Eucharist are inextricably linked.
Lisa
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 I heard the good Doctor give a talk on this, so reading the book was a lot less exciting. It's still a quality book, but you have to read it at the right time. It takes some attention.
Don
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
made perfect in weakness, Arianism in 300ad of Egypt of Son not is Father sold with catchy slang and sayings, sacraments what God does for his creation not inverse, faith builds on reason.
Tim Roe
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Hahn walks you through the early Church and explains, in a Catholic manner, why we do what we do in Mass and our Liturgical Readings. Insightful.
Matthew
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: catholic
Not one of Mr. Hahn's best books but still some great theology. His testimony to Christ is a great inspiration.
Michael
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very deep understanding of The New Testament.
Jeanette
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great follow up to the lambs supper

This book have new thoughts to the word of God in scripture combined with the Eucharist. Great information on the early church and the collection of the bible. I did struggle at times following some chapters that seemed to either go off topic or repeat points again and again but that could have been because I have too many studies I'm doing at the same time. I will probably read this again and I'm sure I will find new information that I missed the first time
Amanda
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the best Scott Hahn book I’ve read. I can’t even summarize it - there’s a lot to unpack. It’s a love letter to the New Testament, both as the early Christians understood those words and as we do now, the Scriptures, the Eucharist, the liturgy, and the Church hierarchy. He constantly cites the Bible, saints, and the Catechism. This will be worth rereading.

• The Case for Jesus: The Biblical and Historical Evidence for Christ
  • Our Father: Reflections on the Lord's Prayer
  • I Burned for Your Peace: Augustine's Confessions Unpacked
  • Rediscover the Saints: Twenty-Five Questions That Will Change Your Life
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
  • The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • Jesus and the Dead Sea Scrolls: Revealing the Jewish Roots of Christianity
  • The Abolition of Man
  • Tales from the Perilous Realm
  • Power Play
Dr. Scott Hahn was born in 1957, and has been married to Kimberly since 1979. He and Kimberly have six children and are expecting their twelfth grandchild. An exceptionally popular speaker and teacher, Dr. Hahn has delivered numerous talks nationally and internationally on a wide variety of topics related to Scripture and the Catholic faith. Hundreds of these talks have been produced on audio and ...more
“What the first Christians knew as the “New Testament” was not a book, but the Eucharist. In a cultic setting, at a solemn sacrificial banquet, Jesus made an offering of his “body” and “blood.” He used traditional sacrificial language. He spoke of the action as his memorial. He told those who attended to repeat the action they had witnessed: “Do this in remembrance of me” (Luke 22:19).” 1 likes
“Why has God done the things that he has done in history? One word: Love.” 0 likes