Start by marking “The Private Eye #1” as Want to Read:
The Private Eye #1

The Private Eye #1

(The Private Eye #1)

The year is 2076 and the nation that celebrates it's tri-centennial is very different from the one we know today. In this future, the most cherished thing is privacy. Everyone has a secret identity, an inner self, that they hid with anything from simple masks to high-tech body suits and holograms.

Enter a man who is known to his customers as Patrick Immelmann, an illegal pr
Published March 13th 2013 by Panel Syndicate

To ask other readers questions about The Private Eye #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Private Eye #1

Nicolo Yu
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: digital-comics
BKV is one of my favorite writer and I'll buy any of his comics work in whatever format they come. Vaughan and Marcos Martin's futuristic noir tale paints a future in the aftermath of the collapse of the current internet structure. We share our lives easily online or in the cloud with all our darkest secrets. What happens if that cloud burts?

I'm loving the series so far and the way the creators serve up their issues to the public is novel, wherein the reader gets to pick a price point for the do
Bradley
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Pretty decent take on a post-internet world as seen from a super-paranoid private detective. I loved the way people hid from one another with holographic suits.
Louise
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Otis has a saying about the right book in the right hand at the right time. The Private Eye is definitely the right book at the right time. Vaughan has an uncanny talent of taking present day problems to their exaggerated end to show the reader just how ridiculous things can get. I loved everything about this comic from the story to the way buildings and people were drawn. Martin is obviously very talented at drawing not only people but also buildings. The architecture in some of the scenes were ...more
Catherine
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I checked this out from the library and will be purchasing my own copy. I am a BKV fan and this story and these characters did not disappoint. "This is a story about privacy, and whether our generation's ongoing campaign against it will ultimately be good or bad for society. I don't know the answer to that yet, so I want to make a comic to find out." BKV
Wayne
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh my. The Private Eye by Brian k. Vaughan and Marcos Martin is amazing. Saga has been good but always feels to me like Yorick grew horns, got married, and had a baby in space. But The Private Eye? Unique, ambitious, and damn entertaining. Best work of bkv's career. And Martin is killing the art. Also, best title page ever in issue one. Cinematic. Enjoying the wide page layout on kindle reader too. I'm in for 10 issues but will want a trade at the end to put in the bookshelf (and to hand out to ...more
Periklis
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An amazing mash-up of Science Fiction & Hard-Boiled Noir. I could only compare it with Moebius' "The Long Goodbye" and The One-Trick Rip-Off. Looking forward to where this on-line, publishing experiment will take this...
Vikas
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A futuristic world where no one uses Internet hmm seems like future goes backward. In this world lives a man who is the best illegal PI there is. More in the next issues of course.
Sitanan Ketkraipob
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book will not disappoint you. Im surprised the writing is even better than Brian's Saga.
Anna Heidick
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really cool and unique concept. A future where everyone has secret identities because of stuff that happened in the past. I won't spoil anything but it's simple yet really clever. The art is amazing. Very detailed and vibrant.
Cristina
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
(publicado orignalmente em https://acrisalves.wordpress.com/2015...)

Se alguns livros perdem muito pouco quando lidos no formato digital (não estamos a falar de edições especiais, com ilustrações e efeitos no papel), o mesmo não se costuma aplicar à banda desenhada, onde as imagens ganham outra dimensão dependendo do tipo de papel e da impressão. Abri, no entanto, uma excepção para este volume. É que a publicação inicial já foi em formato digital, com disponibilização gratuita, pelos próprios aut
Mariana Orantes
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ok, no sé mucho de cómics, estoy empezando pero creo que fue un gran acierto comenzar a leer este. Me gusta la ciencia ficción pura y ruda al estilo K. Dick o cosas así. Si a usted le gusta la ciencia ficción, no debe dejar de pasar este primer número de The private eye. La verdad yo estaba renuente a leer Saga (otro comic del mismo autor) pero después de leer este, me di por bien servida y convencida de que sí debo leer Saga. Tenemos aquí un futuro lejano, si, pero no tanto. Habrán pasado unos ...more
Sharon Snyder
I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The series has actually been out for a while, released as 10 separate issues on http://panelsyndicate.com/ with a pay-what-you-want purchase model. The review copy I got was because they are promoting a hardcover print version of this comic that was previously available in the digital form only.

I'm familiar with Brian K. Vaughan writing from the series' "Y The Last Man" and "Saga", both of which are excellen
Andrea
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not what I expected, but really good. The setting is futuristic, but with less emphasis on technology and much more on internet-persona-style anonymity. Masks, costumes, holograms, pseudonyms, secret identities -- all common fare. But here’s the kicker: there’s no internet. Internet, along with all sorts of other basic tech, no longer exists.

In this extensively anonymous world, the titular private eye (PI, or Patrick Immelman) acts more like a paparazzo, illegally investigating private lives and
Dan
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed Brian Vaughan’s stories and this is up there as one of his best. The artwork is intense and makes the story even better. In a future world, where the ‘cloud’ has burst releasing everyone’s private information, that everyone now goes out in public in hidden identities. The Internet is no more and one wants to get information on someone, they hire a PI. The Private Eye in the title is unlicensed and works on the sly. When hired by the sister of a former client, he gets involved in a ...more
David
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of Brian K Vaughan since I've read "Y the Last Man", by far one of the greatest graphic novels I've ever read. And for Private Eye, Vaughan develops a very interesting concept... a world set 60 years in the future where the "cloud" bursts... exposing everyone's secrets to the world. The future is therefore focussed on privacy and hidden identities, where the press is now the police force and the paparazzi are vigilantes. A very topical concept, with the world's attention on priva ...more
Anthony
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really, really good. This comic is part homage to the old hard-boiled detective stories with a dash of realistic futurism scifi. PI is a journalist-for-hire, a finder of secrets. Freelance journalists in the future are like private investigators, while the official members of the Fourth Estate are more like the police. Some eveNt happened in the past where everyone's secrets on the internet were revealed. Now, no one is honest with each other, or themselves. Everyone hides behind a secret face o ...more
Hollowspine
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Both art and story will blow readers away. Fans of Saga will love the this noir-ish future world where the Internet is feared and secret identities are the norm. The conspiracy at the heart of this stand-alone graphic novel is thought-provoking and the story, characters and art all stunning. Those who like the Wicked + the Divine series, Philip K. Dick and Neal Stephenson should check this out.

I really enjoyed this, from the format, panels and artwork to the dialogue, characters and plot, it all
Scott
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great near-future graphic novel. I discovered it because of Cory Doctorow's recommendation. The story follows a young Private Eye whose been raised by his Millenial grandfather in a potential future where the Internet is shut down for good, following a massive data breach of EVERYONE and their grandmothers. People in this future, when they become adults, start wearing masks and costumes to obscure their real identity. Fun read and very cool art style. I would highly recommend, especially to tech ...more
Lucas
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
It's amazing how Brian K. Vaughan can create this "worlds"(I started to read Saga this week too).
I always tought what could happen if the Internet collapse, because nowadays we are so addicts to it.
This first issue is cool, can't wait to next one. I want see this future technology stuff's that Brian invented for this future earth and of course I want to know more about Taj's past. Oh yes, the art work is pretty cool too.
Randy Johnson
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm not as gaga as a lot of other reviewers, but this isn't really my genre, either. I don't even remember how this came to my attention, but the idea of a downloadable sci-fi/noir graphic novel for which you pay whatever you feel is appropriate captured my imagination and I grabbed it. And it was a lot of fun. Not deep. Not complex. Not layered. But a lot of fun. And engagingly drawn. More whimsical than challenging. Did I mention fun?
Chris
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-2015
excellent. just as good as any of BKV's works. incredibly thought-provoking sci-fi, along with a fun noir story set in future L.A. perfect neo-noir, in my opinion. also super cool formatting for digital devices (horizontal pages instead of traditional vertical). a really revolutionary comic that everybody should read.
Frances
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
When this came in for me, I almost sent it straight back, because nothing about it looks like a Frances book. Within a few pages, though, I was hooked. The bizarre and violent future world is completely captivating, the story line is strong, and the vibrant art is a perfect match.
Adrià
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Buens cómic de detectives, ambientado en un futuro distópico donde Internet ha caído y la gente ha empezado a llevar máscaras para cubrir su identidad y mantener así su 'privacidad' física.

Muy buen guión y dibujo, aunque este último a veces parece estar hecho de prisa y le falta detalle.
Brian
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
In this fantastical world where people wear masks often, our main character is a private eye trying to solve the murder of a Young girl. I'm gonna break it down for you. The artwork was simply gorgeous but the plot was too hard to follow for me thus earning the two star rating.
Acton Northrop
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I read all 10 issues tonight but I'm lazy so just adding this one anyway I'm using a 'nym on here so clearly this book speaks to me. Besides that it's good pulpy melodrama by somebody who has read a Wired article or two in his day but why am I telling you who are you give me my PRIVACY MAAAN.
Mike Briggs
May 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Made my skin crawl. Journalists as cops? Paparazzi as heroes? Just ... just no.

Just imagine those idiots on CNN running around with the power of search warrants.

(Figure I should note somewhere that I previously enjoyed Vaughan's work.)
Steven
Beautiful art and excellent writing - right up there with Saga and Y from the beginning.
Alistair
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sequential-art
Very colourful but a little too American, although the really sick murdering ******* are French.
So points for realism! :)
Sci-fi, future dystopia.
Trevor
A pay-what-you-want drm-free digital comic series written by Brian K. Vaughan (who did Saga which I'm loving) is self-recommending.
Raúl Sánchez
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
It was ok. Creo que es muy pronto para emitir un juicio, pero aquí una reseña mía del primer número:

• Alex + Ada #6
  • Prophet, Volume 3: Empire
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 4: Truants
  • Wytches #6
  • The Fade Out #1
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo

The Private Eye (10 books)
  • The Private Eye #2