Start by marking “Paradise Squandered” as Want to Read:
Paradise Squandered

Paradise Squandered

Paradise Squandered is the story of Andrew Banks, a recent graduate of Puget Sound Prep and quite possibly the most directionless member of his graduating class. Andrew returns home from a long-promised graduation trip to Hawaii and re-enters a bland, suburban landscape of privilege and indifference, feeling alone and empty.

Talented but uninspired, Andrew knows he wants t
Paperback, Second Edition, 146 pages
Published September 9th 2012 by CreateSpace (first published September 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Paradise Squandered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradise Squandered

Loren
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I felt that if Chuck Palaniuk was less insane and Hemingway was more observant then what would their baby look like? I would think it would be less crude, but still daring and yet loved anti-materialism pontifications & well placed run on sentences. Okay, that isn't fair because Stefansson doesn't sound like anyone I've read before. He has his own voice and his own vision. He doesn't try too hard. He engages you, but he does so on his own terms which is really refreshing.
Writers should be al
Martin Thompson
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Sexual frustration, marijuana smoking, underage drinking, house parties, driving way too fast… This book honestly captures what it's like to be an angry 18 year old searching for what is real and important in life through trial and error.

Paradise Squandered is a novel that revolves around the internal anxiety and inner turmoil of 18 year old protagonist Andrew Banks. The entire novel takes place the summer after Andrew graduates from high school. Even though the plot isn't very intense, somehow
Justine Winans
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Paradise Squandered is an excellent coming of age novel that can appeal to those of all ages and tastes.

Beautifully written and thoroughly real, the work will leave readers thinking long after they read that final page.

Andrew is an excellent narrator. The kind of character that you feel you shouldn't like, but end up liking regardless. He has that connectable, witty sarcasm in his voice, displaying an honesty that hasn't been seen this successful since the narration of Holden Caulfield. The char
Gaele
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Engrossing and engaging, told in first person, this coming of age story brings a sense of the known and unknown to the reader as it progresses. Andrew is not particularly lovable from this perspective, nor sympathetic, in fact I was almost hoping for something to shake him; for a snap judgment to be wrong, for some grey to invade his very black and white world.

Adding to the difficulty is the often lamented immaturity that is in juxtaposition from his sarcastic and often spot on depictions of pe
Somekindofnobody
Exploring deep within the human condition, many types of personalities are touched upon from the aimless to the driven. I feel like I stumbled across a treasure with this book because its a book you can easily read twice as well as share. It's so well written that at times you fall into the story and lose your surroundings. SO good with detail. I'm just thoroughly, thoroughly impressed.
Lyle Appleyard
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this book through the Goodreads Giveaway contest.

This is what is going through the mind of an eighteen year old as they make the transition from sheltered life of home and school into the real world. A confused, pretentious eighteen year old, which isn’t sure what he wants to do. He keeps looking for something better and easier. Isn’t that the way with all 18 year olds? We all struggled with our independence, making our way in the world and finding people we can truly be fri
Skye Burling-Briggs
***ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review***

Andrew Banks for me is very mono-tone, very black and white, VERY blunt. I wondered about his mental health on more then one occasion! Over all I really liked his story, his growth, and his self discovery. Such an honest piece of writing about the journey of coming of age.

I felt the author was able to get right inside the head of this teenage boy, and just spew truth. It's was so REAL. So incredibly RAW. And I loved it!

Paradise squan
Paul Hayes
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
First off, the author is a tad genius in sending people messages offering a free audio/online version of the book to get an honest review. Now, I'm not in the US nor do I use eReaders or the such. So I went on to eBay UK and bought a copy anyway.

It's a good story with a few good characters who are all easily believable. Some of the prose seemed repetitive to me (not during the first person thoughts or anything, but in some of the descriptions) but I tried to not let that get in the way of the bo
Yvensong
Let me start with the disclaimer that I don't read these types of novels very often, so my review will be colored by my reading tastes, but I received this book from the author for free for an honest review.

In the beginning, I wasn't feeling any empathy for the MC. He was judgmental and difficult. I nearly gave up on the book, but decided to slog through a bit more, because the writing was fairly good for a first-time novelist. The author has a very decent grasp of language and style and there w
Michelle Hofacker
When I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review I was expecting to be reading a book that would be similar to those I have read before. We all know the ones about a teenager who deals with adversity and comes out smelling like a rose. That is not what I got.
This book at first confused me, I felt like I had walked into the middle of a conversation. I actually stopped and restarted. Then with a slap on my forehead, I realized why. The author's unique perspective into th
Sarah Richards
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paradise Squandered is full of raw emotion; an uncensored view through Andrew, the main character’s, transition from High School/Prep School and the next step. How to figure out what one wants to do and get out of life. It’s a struggle we all have in common.

I quickly became aware, as I did when I read a Cather in the Rye, that I am not included in the large target audience this book was written for in the author’s mind. That stated I still highly enjoyed this book because of Stefansson’s ability
Post Defiance
Originally published at http://postdefiance.com/paradisesquan... by Delaney Haight.

Mental illness is not glamorous. It’s a surprisingly common misconception that overwhelming, profound depth accompanies chemical imbalance. At the very least, Alex Stefansson’s debut novel, Paradise Squandered, does not glamorize depression. It reveals depression for the stifling, apathetic nightmare that it is, though I doubt this was Stefansson’s intention.

Andrew Banks is the narrative centerpiece in this exhaus
Cate
There comes a point in most readers lives when they hope that the much touted topic of ‘coming of age’ is finally going to be presented to them in a new and interesting way; unfortunately this novel is not the one you are looking for.

Whether it was the characters or the locations, this book lacked the traction that would have made it an interesting read. Whole new sets of characters were introduced suddenly and the fact that the main protagonist didn’t even care to get to know them and the lack
Madonna
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, but I didn't really care for this book. Just seemed like a lot of random thinking and not much of a plot. Hope things improved for the author later. It just feels unfinished. Was not at all what I expected from the description.

I received this book from the author through Amazon after requesting it on GoodReads. Thank you for the download.
Randy Fox
rated it did not like it
Jun 11, 2013
Aug 02, 2013
Amber
Dec 31, 2013
Alex Stefansson
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Perks Of Bein...: You set the price! 1 22 Aug 01, 2013 12:18PM
Goodreads Authors...: Sex. Drugs. Anxiety. 1 7 Jul 30, 2013 01:30AM
Making Connections: Free eBook for honest review 7 91 Jun 17, 2013 02:18PM
The Perks Of Bein...: Free eBook for honest review 18 227 Jun 08, 2013 02:29PM
Alex Stefansson was born in 1984 in Seattle, Washington. He grew up in the suburbs and later attended Western Washington University in Bellingham, Washington, where he accumulated a large amount of debt and also met his wife. He enjoys witnessing wardrobe malfunctions, eating hot dogs, and spending quality time with his wife, two young sons, and neurotic cat.