Start by marking “The Test of My Life” as Want to Read:
The Test of My Life

The Test of My Life

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  1,463 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
A personal account of Yuvraj Singh’s journey through cancer with the 2011 World Cup victory in the background‘

That day I cried like a baby not because I feared what cancer would do but because I didn’t want the disease. I wanted my life to be normal, which it could not be.’

For the first time Yuvraj Singh tells the real story behind the 2011 World Cup when on-the-field triu
Published February 2013 by Ebury Press/Random House India (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Test of My Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Test of My Life

Arcopol Chaudhuri
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
There'll be three kinds of readers of this book. Cricket fans, cancer survivors/patients, and those who love reading memoirs. It's a sincere book - honest and heartfelt, and while the editing may be sloppy and lenient, it didn't bother too much because it felt like it was Yuvi indeed who was talking. And one would expect a cricketer to narrate his story in simple words, without trying to impress me with wordplay.
The book did strike an emotional cord with me. Yuvi, after all, is a cricketer of my
Gurnam Sodhi
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it

When I started reading it, I thought it will have a lot of cricket and a lot of cancer survival stuff and it might not be that interesting. But the innocence with which the book is written is lovely. The inspirational stuff is not overloaded with heavy phrases or anything. It is simply a story of survival. It is a must read for any cricket lover or Yuvraj fan. But for all others, this book might feel full of time jumps, repetitions and grammatical errors. A good editing might have made
Monish Uday
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a simple book without any word plays, I just read in a day time. Media's Yuvi is very very different from real life. It's all C's in his life, cricket, cancer, cup and chemo, it ll move you to tears when he describe his agonies during 2011 World Cup and US treatment days! You get your happy tears later when he describe his emotions for chennai crowd cheers in his come back match after chemo. His life taught me just one thing, life will surprise you will all strange things and all we need is ...more
Saraswathi Pulluru
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book to kick start my habit of reading non fiction for this year. And what better choice than Yuvi's tryst with cancer. I was assuming the book would be about cancer in entirety - but it spanned from his childhood right to the diagnosis, treatment and come back. Two things stayed with me - a) Greatness does not come with comforts, but with great discipline and pain b) When you did not question God for the good things 'Why me?', why should we question the same in dark times? The ...more
Ankit Bohra
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No doubt "if you can we can" by Yuvraj Singh. An inspirational story has been written by this Punjabi guy who has scribbled his journey from Kid to a cancer patient survivor and again back to his passion i.e. Cricket. In his debut book, Yuvraj is able to knock our mind and make us to think " If we are passionate, can't we face the challenges, which are thrown to our way." A perfect story and must read story. Hats of this guy who didn't give up till end and made his way to his game. Full marks.
Prince Pankaj
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hadn't i been a hard core yuvraj and indian cricket fan i would not have given 5*.from a literary perspective there was something missing, some ingredients but i could not resist it. People know everything what need to be known about a legend like yuvraj, except some media paparazzi. Doesn't matter if you are an atheist or not or get fear from god or not fear from cancer. You never get to know when your breath becomes air. Cancer takes all mental and physical strength once you had. He got lucky ...more
Lalita
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very inspiring! Must read for any sportsperson and/or cancer affected!!
Written from the heart in pure,simple words!!
Avanti Vartak
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book,and not because I had a crush on Yuvi when I was in school,but because it is totally inspiring.This book is an honest narration of his extra ordinary life.He has described his struggles through cricket as well as cancer very matter-of-factly without blaming anyone.He doesn't curse circumstances or wallow in self pity or cry about his misfortunes.And that's what I loved most about it.Inspite of a major part of it being about cancer,it is not bleak ,it is filled with p ...more
Shru
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Test of My Life is a real life story based on Yuvraj Singh's struggle through cancer and back to life. The book tells how Yuvi became a cricketer and how he grew up as a human being throughout this journey.
Very simply written which gives a feeling that you are hearing the story from Yuvi's mouth itself. This book would be an inspiration for upcoming cricketers as well as cancer survivors. It gives hope to those who struggle through difficulties of life.
You feel bad when the details of Yuvi
Ayush
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Never read such genuine description. Initially it excited me, then it showed the depressing side of sports and ended with the battle with Cancer. In the end I was wondering if Yuvi had been a normal person would such turnaround in small time be possible.
When I see Yuvi's batting in T20 today, I am reminded of all the fights he battled and his comeback. My Grandfather had cancer and he couldn't make it. I wish he had survived the intense pain and radiation sessions. I actually ended up a bit dep
Noopurr
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is an honest book, written when he was going through a tough time. People who are in the same situation will be able to relate to it better.
It is definitely not a literary read....but is an honest attempt to record the pain and suffering.

Only wish the editor could have been more careful of the jumps in the story...spelling mistakes and bad grammar!
Dipen Patel
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
We can know the actual thought process and mental state of someone suffering from cancer.
Yuvraj had been such a great character and such a wonderful player over years for India. This story is pure inspiration.

" If Yuvi can, you we can."

Also, it takes us back to the time in 2011 where men in blue finally lifted the world cup after 28 years!
Hunar Jain
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
That was really a sincere autobiography. A truly inspiring story of the flamboyant southpaw of the Indian cricket. The story teaches us that one needs to get out of his comfort zone in order to achieve something. The story tells us about the hidden story of yuvraj during the world cup. A book displaying a variety of emotions- perseverance, pain,fear,aggression and a lot more.
Anand
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was completely inspirational n kept our spirits up thru out the book. Yuvi has shared his worst period of his lyf, his emotional check he often kept, how he overcame all these. Chemotherapy which is the hardest part in any o ne s lyf should not be feared abt it rather, face it with strength and confidence. really great chap yuvi......
Venkata Rajesh P
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great inspirational story of Cup, cancer and come back
Recommended for cricket fans / cancer patients and for people seeking inspirational reads.
Nikhil Talwar
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiography
There'll be three kinds of readers of this book. Cricket fans, cancer survivors/patients, and those who love reading memoirs. It's a sincere book - honest and heartfelt.
When I started reading it, I thought it will have
Shivji Kumar jha
The book offers a glimpse into the journey of a top class sportsman and the ordeals faced with injuries/illness. The authors provide an insight into the ambitions, highs and lows in the life of Yuvraj Singh. The problem with the book is there is way too much description of particular cricket matches which gets redundant at times for someone watched that matches.

What holds this book together is though the way Yuvraj describes his killer instinct to fight cancer, the details around chemo treatment
Avinash Pandey
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
# Next to Lance Armstrong's, ' Its not about the bike', Yuvraj singh displays emphathatic physical and emotional greulling which a person undergoes while receiving chemotherapy. Cancer rules the emotional and spiritual domain of entire family; which often leaves permanent psychological scar which accompanies this monster.Not all patients alas have curable malignancy and means to receive customised therapy with Dr. Einhorn ( who gave cisplatin and made germ cell tumor curable to 95% from mere 5%) ...more
Mandeep Singh
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cricket
An Honest Memoir by Yuvraj Singh about his journey from the heights of World Cup victory to fighting Cancer and Back.
He pens down his feelings while battling cancer with great details.Really,admired the simplicity with which the book’s been written,I read it as if I was hearing every single line in Yuvraj’s voice.This also means that grammartical errors are aplenty but who cares!
Two kinds of people,must read it.One,the Cancer patients/survivors and their close ones.The book shall inspire you.
And
Abhilash Ruhela
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reading fiction and non-fiction are two different things. While reading fiction, you end up being in a world of imaginations but while reading a non-fiction attempt, you know that these things can specifically happen with you. Hence you read it with more determination and pleasure. You know that you can end up being a protagonist or experience the same events as mentioned in the book. I am just sitting after completing 4 hours read of Yuvraj Singh, the cricketer's autobiographical attempt where ...more
Radhika
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The strength one requires to fight cancer is a lot, more than I can even imagine. We have heard a lot about cancer and the difficulties that come with it. But by reading Yuvraj's story, I think I got a glimpse of how difficult and challenging this fight must be. Something quite unimaginable otherwise.
An inspiring story.
Vikrant
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A simple, sweet book. I'm sure that everyone would've loved a bit more cricketing insights from him, but I get that the book is not about cricket but about cancer. Power to Yuvi, and I really hope that he writes a more detailed book in the future!
Ashwini
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I could closely identify with the struggles. A very well written and well chronicled book. Loved reading it. Read it to understand the struggles, the pain, the small victories and the defeats that make the life of patients and survivors a trial by chemo.
নীলা (Neela)
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Truly inspirational story of survival.
Rajat Singh
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written piece of work. The struggle was real for Yuvi. But, in the end, the tiger prevailed.
Shantanu
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You are a champion and hero for millions who are suffering from cancer. You have shown the way how we should fight with difficulties.
Anuj Menta
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, read the second half of the book teary eyed :') !
Gaurav Bansal
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Truly inspirational book, must read for people who have cancer or anyone in family have cancer
Gaurav
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yuvee

I have always liked him as a cricketer but this made me feel closer to him as a human being
Rikhil
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A inspirational book! fighter in the field in real life too.
The Test Of My Life 1 2 Sep 12, 2016 05:21AM
real fighter 1 10 Apr 11, 2013 02:34AM
  • Unbreakable: an Autobiography
  • Rahul Dravid: Timeless Steel
  • How Sachin Destroyed My Life ...but gave me an All Access Pass to the world of cricket
  • Harold Larwood

• Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Sex Object
    $9.74 $2.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Dark Alliance: The CIA, the Contras, and the Crack Cocaine Explosion
    $16.99 $3.99
  • Denial [Movie Tie-in]: Holocaust History on Trial
    $11.99 $1.99
  • A Very English Scandal: Sex, Lies, and a Murder Plot at the Heart of the Establishment
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Call the Midwife: Farewell to the East End
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Gomorrah: A Personal Journey into the Violent International Empire of Naples' Organized Crime System
    $9.99 $3.99
  • All Creatures Great and Small  (All Creatures Great and Small, #1)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race
  • Cheaper by the Dozen
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“I was not going to feel sorry for myself. No, why should I? When my form came back, or when I picked up wickets, or when I got the big scores, or when I got player of the match, or hit six sixes, had I ever asked God, ‘why me?’ Of course not. Often in my career, I have been the man with silver in the fist. Have I ever asked God, ‘why me?’ No, never. So when the illness came I had no right to ask ‘why me?” 1 likes
“While I was there, Dad would come on weekends to visit me. One fine day, he took me to the Maharani Club and asked me to pad up. Sidhu would be at the club. Dad went around to him and asked him to watch me bat. I was not yet a teenager. I played a few shots, missed a few. After observing me for a couple of minutes, Sidhu turned to Dad and gave him his expert opinion: I was not made for cricket. I showed no promise.” 0 likes