Start by marking “Made You Up” as Want to Read:
Made You Up

Made You Up

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  18,410 Ratings  ·  3,122 Reviews
Reality, it turns out, is often not what you perceive it to be—sometimes, there really is someone out to get you. Made You Up tells the story of Alex, a high school senior unable to tell the difference between real life and delusion. This is a compelling and provoking literary debut that will appeal to fans of Wes Anderson, Silver Linings Playbook and Liar.

Alex fights a da
Published May 19th 2015 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Made You Up, please sign up.
Stenedria I have a feeling it's real. Like what Miles says in the book, he has to be real since he is impacting others around him--not just Alex. Others see…moreI have a feeling it's real. Like what Miles says in the book, he has to be real since he is impacting others around him--not just Alex. Others see him, talk to him, interact with him. All of his actions (his existence in general) is real. I'm really glad the book was written that way instead of a plot twist where he really was made up. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Shubhi Agarwal
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
YA Debuts 2015
420 books — 3,364 voters
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,468 books — 8,836 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Sometimes I think people take reality for granted.”

I stand by my earlier claim - YA contemporary is where it's at this year. I thought this book was excellent. Compelling, addictive, really weird and excellent. It was such an unusual novel; I can personally say I've never read anything quite like it and it's a great book for discussion. Such an unreliable narrator, constantly blurring the lines between reality and hallucination.

Alex suffers from paranoia and schizophrenia. Her world is full o
Clementine
Oh well, look at that! I created a new shelve just for this book: 0-star.

It disgusts me that an author would use all the symptoms of schizophrenia that seem "glamorous", "sensationalist" or ask for angst with so much as no regard for accuracy. It disgusts me that because of authors like that, people are clapping their hands, thinking this is accurate and sensitive while it is not.

In fact, it's so disgustingly inaccurate that I could use this book any time to give one of my professors or collea
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
6 Things That You Will Love About Made You Up + A Note to Francesca Zappia

1.) The absolutely charming heroine, Alex . We have another unreliable narrator here, which I absolutely loved. But being unreliable isn't a reason not to connect with her. In fact, it was so incredibly easy for me to love her. Alex was sassy and sarcastic, but also troubled and with a lot of depth. To say that she had a strong personality would be an understatement.

2.) All of the feelings . This book was so emotionally
C.G. Drews
I AM SO TOALLY OVERCOME WITH EMOTIONS RIGHT NOW. AGH. How do I even...what do I say?! How?! GAHLKJ FJAKSLDS GHARRRHRH. *ahem* I quite liked this book. It was confusing at times and I guessed many of the plot twists, but somehow I was so totally caught up that the 400-pages just flipped by in a flash and I wanted more, but I also wanted to cry, but I also wanted to rage. So basically YEAH ALL THE EMOTIONS. IT WAS REALLY GOOD. I FEEL LIKE I JUST GOT STABBED IN THE FACE.

So it's about schizophrenia,
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

"Everyone's interesting if you stare at them long enough."

I’m peeling off a hangnail from my pinkie as punishment for not having read this sooner. I didn’t even get to vote this for GR 2015 Best YA fiction because I’ve been putting this on hold assuming this was going to be another sad and heavy read about a sick or dying kid because I may have already reached my tolerance limit for these kinds of reads this year. I was wrong about this one. I was so wrong! Now, it’s too late and I’ve got no
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

"My throat tightened and my heart swelled painfully in my chest. Please don't let this be a delusion. Please let this be real."

As long as I can remember, I've always been fascinated by schizophrenia, and mental illness, for that matter. Although I've been unable to explain why for years, more that I think about it, more it seems to me that what attracts me so much is the fact that people apprehend and see the world differently, through the lens of their own perception. Perception that they can
emma
May 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ugh. I wanted to like this. Really, I did. But it just...wasn’t in the cards. Or should I say...foretold by the Magic 8-Ball. (That’s a halfhearted reference to this book. Check.)

God, I’m literally intimidated by the thought of trying to review this. It seems so haaaard to put my thoughts into words. I’ll try. Kind of.

Let’s start with the good stuff, though. This book focuses on Alex, a high school senior with paranoid schizophrenia. I was hype to read abo
Steph Sinclair
I loved this one. An unreliable main character that is both firece and strong in every way. Definitely make sure this one is on your list! Review to come!
Sana
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Sana by: literally EVERYONE
oh hi there, it is I, hater of the popular books loved by millions of people.

◇the beginning was actually really good
◇then Miles came
◇i hate Miles
◇a lot
◇i also hate contemporaries
◇but this one was "really good"
◇but it wasn't
◇it seemed like every other YA Contemporary, except the MC in this book had schizophrenia (how do you even pronounce that)
◇i actually liked alex and i enjoyed reading about her character and learned about her condition, but
◇THIS IS A CONTEMPORARY
◇so i FUCKING HATED IT
◇and th
Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦
4 Stars!!

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one” – Albert Einstein

description

For some reason I’m always reluctant to start a YA novel and I’m always reluctant to start a book with this subject matter – mental illness. And no, not because I don’t enjoy them. In fact, I’ve always been fascinated by books about mental health. To be honest “Made You Up” was very different from what I expected. It’s a compelling, moving, refreshing story about a girl who lives in her own world, a wor
Christy
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars!!!

photo IMG_1933_zpsnmgayn9u.png

Made You Up is a unique and riveting tale of a teenage girl named Alex. Alex is a teenager who is living with mental illness. She has schizophrenia and has trouble knowing what is real and what isn’t sometimes. I cannot imagine being in Alex’s shoes. The story was fascinating but equally terrifying knowing that people are dealing with this very serious disorder.

I loved Alex’s character. I thought she was fierce and honestly was trying to live her very best life, as difficult as it c
Tweebs♥️ (semi-hiatus)
“Everyone's interesting if you stare at them long enough.”

*snort*

Well, I’ll be damned. If I stare at this book any longer, I think I will throw it across the Atlantic Ocean for making me into this…...emotional hot mess. Speaking, of hot mess, I’m pretty sure this review will be one so, buckle up kids.

YOU ARE IN FOR A RIDE!!

This book was quite a surprise. I DID NOT expect to have my bum bum blown away by the awesomeness. I dived into this book thinking it was going to be cute and cliche. Like
Warda
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I finished a book after my week long slump that felt like I’d been in for eternity.
THANK YOU, Katherine for messaging me for a buddy read, otherwise I would’ve been stuck in this rut forever. 😆😘

(I’m going to celebrate by buying a book or six.)

‘Made You Up’ tells the story of a girl who suffers from schizophrenia. Our main character has difficulty differentiating between reality and her hallucinations and in order to cope with that, she takes pictures.

I loved the portrayal of mental health in t
April
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not one for contemporaries but this one definitely made the exception. So beautifully written.

“My first-ever friend was a hallucination: a sparkling entry on my new resume as a crazy person.”

This was a quirky story about a girl suffering from schizophrenia, and her doubts over what was real, and what was a hallucination.

Alex was a sweet girl, and I felt quite sorry for her and what she was going through; being diagnosed with schizophrenia at such a young age, being
⊱ Poppy ⊰
“What you loved as a child, you will love forever.”

Wow, I am shocked, i really didn't expect that it would be this good.

Made You Up is a book, that will make you question everything you know. It griped me from the very first page. I was real wary to read it, because Mental Illness book doesn't dwell well with me, because Literally in every book the illness is dragged, and i know it because its my it my field of expertise, we literally work hard to know and treat these patients and for me it'
Aestas Book Blog
May 11, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: now, not-yet-released
Holy shit!!!! OMG!!! Woah!!! This BLURB gave me CHILLS!!! I'm so intrigued and can't wait to read it!!

"Let's play twenty questions."

"Okay. But I ask the questions this time."

"Fine."

"If I guess it before five, I'll be really disappointed."

The corners of his lips twisted up in a smile and he said, "Don't insult me."

"Are you alive?"

"Do you live here?"

"Do I know you?"

"Did I make you up?"

______________________________

Alex wages a war against her schizophrenia, determined to stay
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!

"Are you real?"

Paula
Right after reading this book, my feelings was all over the place. And if you don't know, when a book does that to you it only means one thing: the book is all kinds of amazing. Made You Up is such a powerful and poignant novel. It was engrossing to the point that the book is absolutely gripped inside your heart and the desire to let go... is nonexistent.

I love how unreliable our main character is. I'm the kind of reader who always puts herself in the main character's shoes
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of non-toxic mental health narratives
Recommended to Elise by: may ❀
4 1/2 stars, but I rounded up because... sort of a new favorite. You know how I'm going to review this? Post my old thinkpiece on mental illness tropes in YA, and then proceed to go into how this book smacks it all down. Let's just call this a 5000 word essay on Why Francesca Zappia Is the Only YA Author I Trust With Mental Illness Narrative Framing Anymore. Seriously.

MENTAL ILLNESS IS EXACTLY THIS.

You know what trope I hate? The curing trope. You know what trope I'm tired of? The everything
Mayra Sigwalt
Apr 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: livros-que-tenho
Quando terminei de ler não consegui avaliar esse livro. O problema é q não consegui dormir por causa disso!!

A questão toda é porque fiquei em conflito. A leitura foi divertida, o livro me prendeu, o narrador que vc não consegue confiar e fica se perguntando o tempo inteiro se é verdade ou não. Acho q tem uns probleminhas na trama tbm, mas nada disso afetou meu aproveitamento da história.

Mas uma coisa q eu me perguntei durante toda a leitura "ahmm, então é assim q funciona esquizofrenia?" E bom
Taneika
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mental-illness
When I first heard of this book, I got *so* excited! I've never read a novel before that explores Schizophrenia, and I found myself incredibly intrigued about this novel in particular.

The main character, Alex was diagnosed with very early onset schizophrenia, and despite having this illness for almost half her life, it in no way defines her. There was so much more to Alex than just her mental illness, which I found incredibly refreshing; she makes friends, had hobbies, had a job, she was funny
Lexie
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lexie by: C.G. Drews
Well, then.

If this book was real, I highly enjoyed it.

But I trust nothing anymore, so... we'll see.

Real or not real
Cee (The Mistress Case)
How I know my Magic 8 Ball is reliable

*Before Reading*

Cee: Magic 8 Ball, will Made You Up try to kill me?

Magic 8 Ball: Concentrate and ask again.

Cee: You know? The kind where a book sucks the soul out of you, drop by drop, until you're on the floor rolling around in your own filth because you both love and hate yourself for picking up this book in the first place?

Magic 8 Ball: Reply hazy. Try again later.

Cee: Can you at least tell me if I'll like it or not?

Magic 8 Ball: Outlook not so good.

*Afte
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

"You're Jetta."
He shook his head.
I frowned. "Theo?"
"No."
"Well if you're not either of them, you'd have to be me."
He blinked.
"It's me?" I said.
"I couldn't think of anyone else," he said.

So....to keep pace with my current obsession of flawed and/or tortured characters and unreliable narrators, I just had to read this. I can't even begin to imagine living in a world where I don't know what's real and what isn't. It's just unfathomable, to me. To look on my desk and see a spider, only to immediat
Norah Una Sumner
“If nothing’s real, then what does it matter?” he said. “You live here. Doesn’t that make it real enough?”

I don't think I'll ever be ready to fully review this book.The characters are so unique,the story is just captivating and there are so many twist that you won't see coming!Also,hate-to-love relationships give me life.But seriously,read this book as soon as possible,I guarantee that you'll love it if you love smart but a bit crazy and weird characters and a "oh my god my feelings" kind o
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Hey look, it’s another book I read two months ago and never reviewed. Bonus this time – it was a library book (thanks a lot for denying me the ARC, NetGalley!) and my loan expired therefore erasing all of my quotes. Fail. Luckily my old lady brain didn’t sabotage me on this one so I can kind of halfa$$ review it. Lucky again that this is a book where the less said is better because SPOILERS so if this is on your TBR be careful wading t
Laurie –A Court of Books–
4,2 stars

Speechless

I thought about it and I don't feel like to review this book anymore. I liked it too much and waited too long. Sorry.

(how cute and accurate this picture is though?)

Kathe L
"I didn't have the luxury of taking reality for granted. And I wouldn't say I hated people who did, because that's just about everyone. I didn't hate them. They didn't live in my world.
But that never stopped me from wishing I lived in theirs."

There's SO MUCH to say about this book! It's one of those books you get mad because people should read this, it should be more famous and you just don't want the story to end. But, this isn't perfect. And for me, that didn't really matter because for what
sue
This was recommended to me a while back. It’s been sitting on my shelf for ages. It’s not the usual kind of writing I enjoy however, because it was recommended over Mental Health week some time ago (which I’m a supporter of) I bought it.

I am slowly trying to get to my own purchased books bit by bit and decided to choose this one.

Like a lot of clinical psychotic mental health illnesses it edges on hallucinations, paranoia, grandious ideas and more.

schizophrenia is of no exception and we see this
  • The Cost of All Things
  • When Reason Breaks
  • Little Peach
  • The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak
  • None of the Above
  • Pretending to Be Erica
  • The Last Leaves Falling
  • Endangered
  • Tiny Pretty Things (Tiny Pretty Things, #1)
  • 5 to 1
  • Wildlife (Six Impossible Things/Wildlife #2)
  • Underneath Everything
  • Invincible (Invincible, #1)
  • Damage Done
  • Not Otherwise Specified
  • Just Visiting
  • Everything That Makes You
  • Kissing in America
YA writer represented by Louise Fury of the Bent Agency. MADE YOU UP (2015), ELIZA AND HER MONSTERS (now available).

The Children of Hypnos serial on Tumblr (http://childrenofhypnos.com) and Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/story/9547883...) every Mon&Fri @ 1PM EST.

I'm on Twitter @ChessieZappia, Tumblr (http://exeuntstormtroopers.tumblr.com), Instagram @ChessieZappia, Pinterest (https://www.p

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
“Sometimes I think people take reality for granted.” 262 likes
“People say teenagers think they're immortal, and I agree with that. But I think there's a difference between thinking you're immortal and knowing you can survive. Thinking you're immortal leads to arrogance, thinking you deserve the best. Surviving means having the worst thrown at you and being able to continue on despite that. It means striving for what you want most, even when it seems our of your reach, even when everything is working against you.” 178 likes