Start by marking “Nightmare City” as Want to Read:
Nightmare City

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Nightmare City

Published November 12th 2013 by Thomas Nelson (first published November 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Nightmare City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightmare City

aMemori
If I could rate this higher, I definitely would.

This book was UNBELIEVABLE! The storyline was constantly twisting and on-going. At first it's all mystery and then as you put the pieces together it just is amazing.

I definitely admire the main character, Tom. The way he took on what he was dealing with was amazing and inspiring and encouraging and I could name on and on all these great things, but I'd just rather you all read it :)

It's official: Andrew Klavan is my favorite author! Andrew Klavan's
Jesseca Wheaton
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
*casually read a 300 page book in an hour* Yeah, not sure how that happened.
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

♥ Find my reviews here: Literary Meanderings

- - -

Meet Tom Harding: High school senior. Reporter for the school paper. School pariah.

After writing a story to out the schools beloved football team and their use of performance-enhancing drugs, Tom hasn't a friend in sight. But Tom is a reporter. Tom has never met a mystery he didn't want to solve. He is a seeker of truth. Truth above all else, even at personal cost.

The biggest mystery of Tom's life comes early on a Saturday morning.

Upon waking up,
Daniel
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, thrillers
Nightmare City is an intense, terrifying, journey into a young man's soul. The pacing was strong but the writing style really surprised me. Up till this point the author has used the first person point of view in all of his Young Adult novels. But in this novel the author branches out into the third person narrative. Surprisingly enough the story doesn't lag behind which usually happens when an author changes narratives. The opposite is actually true here. The books pace is probably the fastest ...more
Emily
Jan 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Full disclosure: I received a free copy through Goodreads' "giveaways".

I have to say, it wasn't the WORST book I've ever read. That's about the highest praise I can give it.
(view spoiler)
Jolene Haley
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received a free, uncorrected e-galley in exchange for my honest review.

I really liked this novel. Then again, I tend to really like all the things that Andrew Klavan writes. Why? Well, for one, he's a fantastic writer. And two, he knows how to tell a story (well).

In the beginning we meet Tom, who's in high school and also on the school's newspaper. He wakes up thinking that it's just another, regular day, but he is very mistaken. Most of the people he knows and loves are missing an
Daniel
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, thrillers
Nightmare City by Andrew Klavan is a gripping novel to the core. It's tight, concise, and terrifying plot flows quickly and efficiently. Here is the synopsis:

"Tom Harding only wants the truth. But the truth is becoming more dangerous with every passing minute.
Lou
I need more stars to rate this book... IT WAS AWESOME!!!
Why this kind of books don't last forever??
description
Chris
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Okay so here's the deal: turn off all your house lights, open all your windows, flick your book light and make sure it emits a very faint light, pick up your Nightmare City copy and you'll immediately immerse yourself into Tom Harding's life as it is told chapter by chapter. Oh, and to add some spice to it, read it in first person out loud (even if the book is not the case at this time).

This book is so scary, jumping in terror won't cut it. And this book is so epic, you'll want to read again.

Kla
S.M. Blooding
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was AMAZING!
At first, I was like, "Ohhhhh my word! Another story about another 'normal' teen discovering life isn't 'normal'. Sooooooo overdone!" But then I was swept away with the mc, Tom, and the storytelling!

The pacing was great! We got just enough of the intro so that I got a sense of who he'd become to that point in his "normal" life. Then the pacing just sky-rocketed. Mr. Klavan allowed a few breaks so we weren't trying to run the marathon at top speed the entire read, which was
Yo Leo Ficción Cristiana
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, inglés
description

RESEÑA COMPLETA EN ESPAÑOL

What an amazing book. Andrew Klavan is one of the best writers ever!

Jerry
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A book that reads like an old-school point-and-click computer game? Sounds strange, but it works very well.
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
Weird & confusing & creepy. I guessed the twist right before it was revealed and that alone made me able to give this title 3 starts. Full review to follow for the blog tour.
Seung Baek
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Zac
Synopsis:

As a reporter for his high school newspaper, Tom Harding was tracking the best story of his life—when, suddenly, his life turned very, very weird. He woke up one morning to find his house empty . . . his street empty . . . his whole town empty . . . empty except for an eerie, creeping fog—and whatever creatures were slowly moving toward him through the fog.
Now Tom’s once-ordinary world
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
For this review & more, visit Such A Novel Idea.

This was an interesting and facinating young adult book -- one of the most unique premises I've read in a LONG time. The strength of this book lies in the story -- the plot is strong and interesting and will keep you guessing until the very end. I found myself enthralled by the story, wondering just what was going to happen.

That being said, there were some weak spots in the book. When it came to characters and dialogue -- I just wasn't invested
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
For this review & more, visit Such A Novel Idea.

Crystal
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
It seems like an interesting idea for a story (and might even make an interesting script), but was very predictable and a little cheesy. I’d guessed the ending two chapters into the book and found myself skimming through endless paragraphs of Tom feeling more fear or slapping the pavement with his sneakers. This would have been salvageable with a good editor but over all felt like it was a first draft.

I had difficulty with the writing style because I found it to be filled with clichés, repetitiv
Mark
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book, along with all of the others Andrew Klavan has written for Thomas Nelson, is written for a teen audience. I wish books like his had been around when I was a teenager, but that doesn't stop me from reading them now. The reading level he writes at is one most adults can enjoy also.

This book is totally different from his others. It is just as suspenseful, and maybe even more. The main character, Tom is dealing with all kinds of creepy events and creatures, and the reader figures someth
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Okay people so you should never read a scary book before going to bed. Needless to say I made that crazy decision and lord have mercy this book was a mind F&^% and then to try and go to sleep after reading this crazy book lord I do not recommend that. But I have to say I love this book and what unfolded was total awesome sauce!

Tom Harding is a senior in high school and he is living the life of a senior. He is on the school newspaper as a reporter and is always chasing the next story. Then To
Mickai Mercer
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Nightmare City by Andrew Klavan is a juvenile fiction/ action and adventure story about a teenage writer named Tom who wakes up in his town all by himself with a mysterious fog and creatures roaming through the fog. He must find out what is going on and why had everyone around him is gone. He must also find the answers to the reasons of how he got there and why is he seeing/hearing his friends and relatives.
There are multiple things that I like about this book. The story itself is intense, exc
Sara Bennett
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've read almost all of Andrew Klavan's other books and this one was possibly my favorite. I started it at night, which I wouldn't recommend because it is really quite creepy, and I finished it the next morning. It's really exciting not only because it's a bit terrifying, but also because you really want to know what is going on. It took me a little while to figure it out and I really didn't exactly. It has a very good plot and by the end everything fits together perfectly but when you start at ...more
Romulo Reyes
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize that this was a YA book until I began reading it. Mr. Klavan creates a genuinely creepy atmosphere, although the story itself seemed, to me, a bit of a slow-burn.
I could imagine myself as Tom, the main character, because I felt as confused as he did through much of the book.
My only gripe with this book is it seemed as if the author hurried to get it out. Of course, I've said the same thing about a few Dean Koontz novels as well.
I would definitely recommend this book to people w
Ms. Yingling
I'm usually a fan of Klavan's work, but this one was hard to follow, and I think would be a tough sell for middle grade readers. Things happened quickly, but I kept waiting for things to make more sense, knowing that my readers are often easily confused. Perhaps a better book for older audiences.
Rachel'sbookishworld
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was great! Suspenseful and easy to read. Although a few parts were predictable, all in all it was definitely worth the read.
Rio Aiello
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book 100% original 100% amazing AndrewKlavan is the best greatest author of all time
Justin Matthews
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I gave this book 5/5 stars because it does a great job telling a complex story and explains all of the confusing details. The mystery was compelling and left you at the edge of your seat wondering what’s going to happen next. The book also does a great job of switching from the main story to the interlude which expands the depth of the story. The book does a great job tackling important issues like depression and suicidal thoughts through symbolism. It also has a great message behind it about tr
Carlye
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've liked all of Andrew Klavan's books so far, and this one was a winner for me.

CONS:

This book might be slightly creepy or scary for people that aren't a fan of scary books. Also, though it doesn't bother me, there are malevolent or demon-like creatures. They are out to kill Tom and moves a deadly fog.

PROS:

It is a good Christian read with a very good theme considering the novel's synopsis. Tom won't back down from what he believes, even when things look pretty bleak.
Alexander
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about kid named tom who woke up. He was dreaming about heaven. His phone was ringing so he answered the phone their was a fizzing sound. He could barely hear her voice. She said "can you hear me? I need to talk to you"and then connection lost. Tom went down stairs to talk with his mom but she wasn't their. But not only her everyone from the neighborhood was gone even the birds. It was so quiet.
Alex Serrano
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book was great, very suspenseful. The only thing i didn’t like was how the author jumps around back and forth within the story but thats my personal opinion. Other than that each page kept me wanting to read more and more. Great book overall.
  • Heart Breaths
  • On Solid Ground (In Too Deep, #2)
  • Shudder (Stitch Trilogy, #2)
  • Before (Betwixt, #0.5)
  • The Remaining
  • Witch Hearts
  • Playing Saint
  • Vanquished
  • Because of the Sun
  • A Million Times Goodnight
  • The Mackenzie Legacy (The Athena Effect #2)
  • Letters to Nowhere (Letters to Nowhere, #1)
  • World of Ash (Ash and Ruin #1)
  • Stages of Grace
  • Through Glass  (Glass, #1)
  • Cloak of the Light (Wars of the Realm, #1)
  • The Maze
  • Sanctuary
“With effort he opened his eyes again. Was someone there with him in the dusk? Yes. Someone was standing above him, looking down at him. Tom squinted, trying to see through the gloom. Then he realized: no. It was only the scorched painting on the wall. Those painted eyes with the line of blood trickling down beside them. 'Bad day,' he thought up at them. 'It seems I've been murdered.' 'Yes,' responded the eyes at once. 'That happens sometimes when you insist on telling the truth. People don't always appreciate it.' 'It's not so bad really,' Tom told the eyes. 'Maybe I'll get to see you in heaven.' 'The road to heaven isn't death, Tommy. It's life.' Tom peered up at the eyes through the growing darkness. He thought he saw the whole painting recovered in its frame: Christ crucified, the rivulets of blood streaming down from under his crown of thorns. 'But you died.' Tom said to him. 'You died and went to heaven.' 'No,' the eyes answered. 'I lived. That's the whole point. I lived. And now you have to live, Tom.” 2 likes