Start by marking “Freaking Out: Real-life Stories About Anxiety” as Want to Read:
Freaking Out: Real-life Stories About Anxiety

Freaking Out: Real-life Stories About Anxiety

Published September 1st 2013 by Annick Press (first published July 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Freaking Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freaking Out

Regan Parks
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this in the YA section of the library while I waited for my niece to pick out a book. I thought it would be good for her to read but holy crap, I kind of wish someone had given a copy to teenage me. It would have helped me so much.
Debbie Narh
"When anxiety is part of your daily existence, it starts to feel normal."

[WARNING:This isn't a real review. It's just my thoughts so it's only going to be a paragraph or two.]

Don't you just love it when you pick up a book and it just speaks to you? And I mean literally. It just tells you your life story, the way you feel all the time and the way you react to certain things, reminding you that you're not alone and you never were in the first place? Because I do. I love when that happens and with
C
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book to read for anxiety sufferers young and old alike. For teens especially, though, it shows that they are not alone, it is not "just you" and there is hope and understanding that it can get better.

I did not know that it could get better...not as a preteen, teen, in my twenties ...in fact it wasn't until my mid-thirties that things started to turn around for me. I stumbled across answers, that, had I continued to seek help, I might have found years before. I deal with IBS,
Kelley
A few years ago, I used to read nothing but nonfiction, and memoirs were my absolute favorite. These days, I don't read much nonfiction anymore, but when I saw Freaking Out on NetGalley, I knew it was a book I needed to read. Anxiety has been a recurring theme in my life over the past several years, and one thing that always makes me feel better is reading about how other people deal with things I've struggling with.

I wish I had had a book like Freaking Out when I was a teenager. I would have ea
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Every story conveniently had a Plan B to hand and options such as switching schools or hiring a therapist appeared to be readily available in each example and not considered as a major life change; at the snap of a finger it appeared as though every problem could be fixed. The struggle was not real for the people in this book and therefore I couldn’t relate or take the suggestions seriously. Sometimes there are no answers! Only once or twice was prescription medication even mentioned and it was ...more
Danielle Hammelef
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Emotional, painful, and enlightening true-life stories of anxiety and trying to overcome the effects. I think each person who contributed their honest recollection of his or her journey through the pain.
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Goodreads Synopsis: That sweaty, gut-clenching, suffocating, racing-heart feeling... that dull, never-ending sense that something's wrong. What is it? Anxiety, which together with its associated disorders affects millions of young North Americans today.

The 13 true stories in this collection span the anxiety spectrum, from heightened adolescent angst to full-blown disorders, exploring anxiety's power to run amok and take over your thoughts. The triggers for the teens in this book range from the s
Jessica
I originally discovered this book through NetGalley and was approved for an eARC of it but I was unable to download and read it due to compatibility issues with Kindle (which is how I read all e-books).

What I appreciated most about this book was the variety of stories presented. Anxiety comes in different forms and the ways people deal with anxiety are all different as well. This book is a good resource for someone suffering from anxiety to know they aren't alone. It gives further resources at t
Jen
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
First I would like to thank NetGalley, Annick Press Ltd. and the authors for allowing me to review an eBook of "Freaking Out."

"Freaking Out: Real-life Stories About Anxiety" is about the many ways that young adults are facing extreme Anxiety, how Anxiety affected their lives and how they managed to work through their issues. Featuring 13 stories from every-day teens experiencing horrible Anxiety brought on by trigger events, such as College, Bullying, Shyness, etc.

Anxiety is not a new concept, b
Roxanne
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Any young person with anxiety issues, or any parents of children with anxiety issues, should grab this title.

I thought this book was really well done. I myself occasionally deal with anxiety, but who I really wish would read this book is my son. He's 11 and has Asperger's, and along with that, quite a bit of anxiety.

I really liked how the book was separated into different chapters for each person, and how each chapter/person was quite different from the next. It was enlightening to see how anxi
Erin
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, reviewed
Freaking Out is a book of real life stories from young people, all centred around the theme of anxiety. Starting with a short introduction to what anxiety is and how it may present itself, the main part of the book contains thirteen different stories based on real life experiences. Each of the stories is accompanied by illustrations and is set out in an easy to read, simple format.

The last book I read based on the same subject was Anxiety 101 (Dr. Eudene Harry) which looks closely at the scienti
Diah Didi
It took me quite long enough to finish the book when it's not that thick. Somehow, maybe because I myself have the symptoms of this anxiety disorder, I'm able to relate with those stories, and sometimes I need to stop for a moment to deal with my own anxiety while reading this. :D So one story at a time.
Anyway, what I learned from this book is that in the end, these teenagers/young adults were finally able to manage/reduce their anxiety. Mostly it's after they talked to someone to counsel and af
Melissa Herston
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
In compliance with FTC guidelines; I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This was a quick read with meaningful stories.

I was touched by the stories that each of these individuals shared.

Each story had a unique premise dealing with anxiety in the teen years revolving around things many people have had to deal with when they were teens bringing the stories close to home and to heart.

The stories are written in a straight forward manner and the language is easy to read.

I am not
Medeia Sharif
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This nonfiction book contains sections that focus on one person per chapter. The people featured have all suffered or continue to suffer from anxiety. The writing takes us into their childhood, adolescence, and even into adulthood since some of them are in college.

There’s a full spectrum of anxiety disorders and related issues in the chapters. There’s OCD, sexuality, bullying, physical symptoms, and so much more. The personal stories are gripping since they detail all the hard times these young
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was an excellent book for teens and adults alike. Anxiety is something that so many people suffer from and do not always know how to deal with.

The most important message from this book: you are not alone. You are not weird, a freak, or any other names you may call yourself inside your head.

I loved that this was from so many different perspectives. There is a lot of range, therefore teens are likely to connect with at least one of the stories.

I only wish I had a book like this 15 years ago.

I
Tina Jameson
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Stop Freaking Out – you are not alone!

Everyone feels a little anxious sometimes, but for many that anxiety, often coupled with depression or other intense emotion, can be crippling. This book shares real experiences of a wide range of young people. It is both moving in its honesty, and hopeful in the way that it shows how these sufferers survive, come to terms with, and learn to understand their psychological and emotional needs.

This book would be a valuable asset in any library which aims to su
Tracy
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I think that this book is probably better for middle school students than older students. The writing is simplistic, because most of the stories are told by teens. The stories are short, and stand on their own. This is good for kids that may not have a long attention span. They can read as many stories as they would like at one sitting. I was a little disappointed that all of the stories seemed to make the process easy. Maybe this was just because of the length of the stories. I think that kids ...more
Mary
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good informative book about anxiety and teenagers. Helpful to read and understand what some of my students might be going through. It's especially interesting as each chapter is a different teenager's story and how they dealt with teenagers anxiety.
Melanie
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-reads
I see this as a book that parents would give their teens to read, not something that an anxious teen would pick up on their own. It definitely had that "it gets better" vibe, but other than that, it was pretty flat.
Stefanie Garate
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a university student, I found this book to be a great read. It made me reflect on my teenage years and the struggles that came along with growing up to a young adult. I will definately pass this book along to my younger sister who just started junior high.
Kristen Mohr
Though not the perfect collection for me, I can definitely see recommending this to teens.
Emily Kamminga
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Awesome to relate too as I suffer from anxiety, I wish it was a little longer/more stories but great variety and connect-ability.
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and helpful.
Erin Moulton
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chasingstigma
Anxiety, Nonfiction
Carrie
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read for grad class project. Would be extremely helpful book for teens dealing with anxiety, whether mild or clinically diagnosed.
Melissa
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I could relate to each anxiety-inducing situation!
Summer
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Comforting that I'm not alone in my anxiety...
Kendra
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
For my review please go to:

Stephanie

• Little Monkey Calms Down
  • The Sheikh's Last Seduction
  • The Baby Deal
  • A Tale of Two Daddies
  • Prince of Secrets (By His Royal Decree, #2)
  • A Real Cowboy (Rich Rugged Ranchers #2)
  • The Twelve Days of Seduction
  • Is a Worry Worrying You?
  • Back in Her Husband's Bed
  • The Slug
  • 10 Ways to Handle the Best Man
  • Saya Tidak Ingin Kaya Tapi Harus Kaya
  • Seducing His Princess (Married by Royal Decree, #3)
  • Kiss Me at Midnight
  • Wrong Man, Right Kiss (Gage Brothers #2)