Start by marking “Deception (Mystic, #3)” as Want to Read:
Deception (Mystic, #3)

(Mystic #3)

A Magical Journey of Epic Romance

Layla
Layla Callaway has found comfort in her new role as a coven member, and she’s declared her love for the heartthrob who led her home, but as beautiful as her life appears, it’s shadowed by the evil threatening to rip it away.

Quin
After years of meaningless flings, Quin Kavanagh has finally found love in Layla and yearns to keep
Published April 13th 2013 by Bandit Publishing (first published April 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deception

Karen
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Edit, edit, edit! At this point I find I am only reading these books to find out what happens, but in the process of reading, I am often rolling my eyes and find myself scanning the text to just get through it.

Maybe I just read really long books as a norm, but I feel like books 1-3 could be edited down into one book. So many inconsequential things seem to be elaborately described, when a simple turn of phrase would have sufficed. And why, when the bad guy is out looking for us, do we need to pau
Morgan
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I have found this series to be extremely difficult to rate because the world building is so excellent and the idea behind the story is fresh and new and exciting, but...and this is a big but, the main characters suck. And it's such a shame because this series has so much potential for it to be amazing, but I just can't get past the annoying characters. So let me break it down for you as to why I feel this way:

-First, Quin and Layla's relationship has got to be one of the most boring book relati
Mint Bkk
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh my ... Sooooo much has happened in this book.

Fin's made his move. We get to know who he is and his intention.
The stranger's revealed.
Farris's gone. Guthrie is promoted.
Agro is getting insane.

Layla's introduced to Quin's friends and they played hockey.
Can't stop comparing it with Twilight's baseball.
But this one IS SO GOOOOD.
How they played it and the rink.
Oh the rink was so sweet. :)

Bonnie has proved to be as thorough as Quin (if not more, but is it possible?)... not one stone unturned
Donte McNeal
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
B.C. Burgess' "Deception" is the 3rd novel in her magical (pun intended) Mystic Series. The story of Layla Love and Quin picks up where it left off in Impassion, Layla and Quin asleep in each others' arms, after declaring their feelings for one another. Soon after, their relations develops even further, though Finley's constant pressuring of Layla to leave Quin and join with him is a necessary itch needing to be scratched, sooner rather than later. Apart from Finley's obsession (yes I feel quite ...more
Megan
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I was so excited to read the third in the Mystic series. Bonnie did another marvelous job at sucking you in and keeping you enterained and focus on the aspiring story that Quin and Layla tell.

Deception

Yes I won't lie that name scared me.

What I love and I believe will hold true until the series end is the feeling of Unity in the conven. Families that stick together really are stronger together. There is such a bond here that is so beautiful.

There were so many details that to normal people are not
Danielle (Dannie)
B. C. Burgess has done it again!!!!

Deception was just as good, if not better, than the first two books in the series! I came across a couple of spelling mistakes, but nothing bad enough that affected my reading of the book. I
absolutely love reading this series! Layla & Quin are such strong characters and their parts are so well-written! There were a few twists & turns that I didn't see coming, although there was at least one twist that I kind of expected but it didn't go quite the way I
Tricia  Santos
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holy hell I knew it! I'm so in love with this world that B.C Burgess has created. It's so detailed and dreamy. Besides the whole people wanting to take Layla and all. I loved the ending of this one. I know the fourth one is out but I'm scared to go read it. First because I like the little happily ever after for now we were left with and because who knows when the fifth will come out. My heart can't take much more torture through Quin and Layla...
Kayla Jeffords
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book and LOVED LOVED LOVED the ending!!!!! I cannot wait until the next one!! I just wanted to keep reading and didn't want the book to end. B.C. Burgess needs to hurry up and finish the next one I'm ready to continue the journey with Layla and her new life!!!!! Cannot not wait to read what happens next! I was on the edge of my seat with this one. Burgess is a wonderful storyteller and her stories just keep getting better!
Lina
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a good sequel.

I loved Quin and I enjoyed this read but after 50 % of the book I started to lose interest in the story.
Genea
Re-read: 07.19.15 What can I say, but just fantastic. I'm a sucker for the swoony, mushy love stories where the guy get's the girl of his dreams and vice versa. Love it.

05.31.13
There is simply no waning for this series. Things are getting more intense and the revelations more juicier. This is definitely a love story just like all the other books, most of the books are spent on the evolving relationship between Layla and Quin. I'm jumping ahead here but I just knew it, those two were made for eac
Tara
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
THE QUINSESSION CONTINUES!!!

Maybe it’s because I read these books around Date Me, but this series (as far as the way it is set out) reminds me of The Keatyn Chronicles, except with a paranormal flair. The way the books pick up where the previous one was left off and that not a lot of time goes by while we are reading along reminded me of how the Keatyn Chronicles plays out. I envision them both as TV shows while I’m reading.

Here is one of the major ways it differs, Layla is a girl who knows wh
Chris Torretta
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
More fan girl time!!! OH MY GOD! Yes I'm absolutely fan girling! I just finished book three of the Mystic Series and I have to say again, OH MY GOD!

If you read my first two reviews on Descension and Impassion, then you know that I am in love with B. C. Burgess's writing. This story just keeps getting better and better. I was lucky enough to do a tour for book one and I am sooooo glad that I did. I am completely in love with these characters, but let me tell you why...

This story expands as you re
Wennie
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you were new to the magical world, and you just met someone who makes your heart flutter and your body tingle, but you are being stalked by one magical being and hunted by another, would you just give up and hide? Or would you find you well of courage and draw from it?

Deception, book three of the Mystic Series by B.C. Burgess, takes us directly from where the action of Impassion leaves off. Layla is slowly discovering herself as a witch and a woman. She finally lets go of her worries, and em
Romancerwblog
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hopefully, by now you know, if you have not read Descension and Impassion do not read any further. We will have to kick your butt otherwise. Don’t spoil these books for yourself. Trust us they are too good. Now, on to the review!

Deception begins right after the horrible attack on Layla by Argo’s number one man. I was freaking out a little for Layla when she was attacked but am glad she was rescued and luckily magicians can heal really quickly. I love how Impassion ended with Quin and Layla admi
Christina M Condy
Okay... You will NOT get spoilers out of me!

What I will say is that this book is by far the best of the Mystic Series so far! I can't wait to get my greedy hands on book number 4! I know I've got a bit of a wait for it but for now I'll just give you a little bit about this book!

This book picks up literally where book 2 left off. We have Agro still being a total pain in the behind. God how I hate that man! We have Quin taking care of Layla, *wipes drool off her chin* I just have to say Quin is th
Joanna  Mongelluzzo
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
B.C Burgess does it yet again! She captivates readers with her books...to a point where you cannot stop reading.

I don't usually read books about witches and wizards but I am so glad I picked this series to read. It is a magical ride filled with heartbreak, love, family, enemies, magic, passion.

I was happy to find out more about Finley and happy about the outcome. I was getting very frustrated! At that point I also got frustrated with Layla but oh so worth the frustration!

I loved the strong con
Shaina Salisbury-abbs
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Never has a fantasy taken me so far into its depths that it has left me weeping. Both tears of joy and tears of utter pain left my eyes as I read this wonderfully crafted work of art. B. C. Burgess has the knack to get you so delightfully wrapped up in her characters that when something happens and a twist of fate occurs you feel your heart-strings tug and you get goosebumps all over your body. As a devout B.C. junkie from the moment I picked up her work I knew that this book would be a page tur ...more
Karen
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Where do I even begin!!?? First, I will try hard not to leave any spoilers. Secondly, "Deception" has proven to be the best book yet in the Mystic Series. Quin & Layla's adventure just seems to be getting more passionate and dangerous at every turn. Especially since book 3 really focuses in on the pugnacious relationships between Layla, Quin & Finley. I must stop any further discussion here as it will lead to many, many spoilers. But I can say that any questions you may have been left wi ...more
Danielle (Dannie)
B. C. Burgess has done it again!!!!

Tina Jeademann
This is a great series about witches, otherwise known as magicians. The story line is fantastic! exciting and intense! I love Quinn, he is so sweet and caring! When it comes to Layla, it was obvious from the beginning that he would do anything to keep her safe, happy and loved! I have to say, I'm glad the teasing finally came to an end! I wasn't sure I could take much more!! ;) (wink, wink)

This book takes you to complete evil, literally making you cringe one minute, to absolute love and beauty,
Jessica Martin
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great 3rd book in the series! Yet again, as with the other 2 books in this series, I was unable to put this book down. Deception isn't a stand alone book and it starts right where Impassion left off and Impassion started right where Descension left off. You will need to read them all to understand, it's well worth it! This book was truly astounding. Like the other two books in this series, Burgess leaves no detail out. These books just keep getting better and better. I love how I'm pulled so e ...more
Kristal Taylor
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystic-series
At this point I find I myself reading to get to what's going to happen next. I find that I'm often rolling my eyes and find myself scanning the text to just get through it.

Three books in and Layla hasn't started her training. She's the strongest witch in the world and don't know it. I love the book and how we met Quin's friends. But Argo will stop at nothing to get his, as he says. It just seems like it's being stretch to make another book.

This is a wonderful love story. Quin's and Layla Love a
Leslie Miner
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just finished Deception, book 3 of The Mystic Series, and I'm going through major withdrawals. I wish I could leap straight into book 4. This series has everything - beautiful magic, danger, mystery, suspense, and soul-bonding love. I actually held my breath during the one scene we've all been waiting for. I fell in love with Quin within seconds of meeting him in book 1, but book 3 takes it to a whole different level. The family bond the coven has is also amazing. It makes me wish I could live ...more
Jolene OBrien
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This has got to be my favorite book in the Mystic series thus far. It picks up right where Impassion leaves us. We get to understand Finley's motives. Of Layla is just a magnet for trouble but Quin is always there prove just how far he will go for his Layla Love. Burgess puts some even steamer scenes in this book bringing the reader to the edge of the cliff and back. I highly recommend not only this book but the entire Mystic series as well. Waiting for the next book will be difficult, so I'll j ...more
Linda
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just read the first three books in the series in a row, loved them all. Layla continues to fight off insane bad guys with the help of her new found family, who are great at picking up the pieces and returning her to full health afterwards. In this book we get to meet Quin's friends & see how they hang out together & what fun they have with their magic. Just when you think things are going well for Layla & Quin we're left knowing that Agro is planning his next evil move on Layla, cann ...more
Fatma Alici
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the third in this series. The plot is going interesting places, and it was hard to put down.

Warning - some minor spoilers

The only real complaint I have is that the resolution of the Stranger character was a bit underdeveloped. I wish there had been more there. And, I think there could have been more going on there.

I hope soon, as that Layla will start being her own hero.

Otherwise, then those very minor issues, I loved pretty much the rest of it. I'm already excited for the next one.
Lauren R.
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

B.C. Burgess Yet again gets us to fall more and more Deeply in love with Quin & Layla!

Just loved how we get to see their relationship blossom! The characters are well developed and easily make you pick sides on who you want to trust and not trust.

This series is deserved to be read with a full pot of coffee & a Huge smile on your face!

Can't wait to find out what happens next in Book 4!
Beth
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ba-books
I loved the third installment of B.C. Burgess's Mystic Series.

In her first two books you see a relationship grow between Quin and Layla. Many may say it's too easy and want more bad boy. Well, enter Finley. While he may be the new bad boy on the block, never underestimate Quin for a minute!

The intensity of the drama and the sweetness of the love create the perfect balance for those that crave something different.

Ms. Burgess weaves a wonderful tale that is very well written.
Cindy
I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! Okay- now that that's out... Loved this book even more than the first two and I am hoping I don't have too long to wait for the fourth. I NEED to know what happens with Layla and Quin. And I am hoping they take out Agro and his army and any other wizards/witches that come their way trying to use Layla's power for their own purposes. AHHHHHH! I need the next book NOW!!!
Teyani
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I can sleep well now - the ending of the 3rd book of The Mystic Series was perfect, and made me a happy little reader. The author has once again taken me further into this magical world - the characters, the descriptions, the plot - everything you want your fantasy story to be. Quin and Layla are adorable, and the rest of the characters are lovable and well written. So emotionally attached to them I can't help but miss them all while waiting for the next book!
Shut Up & Read: Deception (The Mystic Series #3) - Giveaway 2 8 Apr 23, 2013 10:23PM

• Falling Ashes (Fire Mage, #3)
  • White Witch (Coven, #1)
  • Elfbitten (Taryn Malloy Fantasy, #1)
  • Burn Like Fire (The Briar Creek Vampires, #6)
  • Amaretto Flame
  • Broken Prince (The Broken Ones, #2)
  • Elemental Shining (Paranormal Public #3)
  • The Golden Couple (The Samantha Project #2)
  • Hearken (Daughters of the Sea #4)
  • Scorching Secrets (Prophesized #2)
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • The Drifting (The Velesi Trilogy, #2)
  • Guardian (The Guardian Trilogy, #1)
  • For Love of an Angel (The Fallen Warriors #1)
  • Eternal Destiny (The Ruby Ring, #2)
  • Casted (The Casted Series Book 1)
  • Charmed: A Sugar Maple short story (Sugar Maple, #3.5)
  • Exposing ELE (ELE, #3)
I'm a small town girl with big dreams and a wild imagination. I'm addicted to coffee and writing. The combination is my idea of heaven. I read every day, if only to my young son, whom I hope to someday inspire with my passion for writing.

I love hearing from my readers, so feel free to contact me through any of the links below.

Website: http://bcburgess.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/B.C.Burg

Mystic (10 books)
  • Descension (Mystic, #1)
  • Impassion (Mystic, #2)
  • Retribution (Mystic, #4)
  • Destruction (Mystic, #5)
  • Devastation (Mystic, #6)
  • Devotion (Mystic #7)
  • Annihilation (Mystic #8)
  • Ascension (Mystic #9)
  • Quin: Mystic Series Stories (Mystic #0.5, #0.6, #0.7)