Start by marking “The Linen God” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  61 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The legendary Shroud of Turin is the most studied and controversial religious relic in human history. The ancient linen cloth bears the inexplicable image of a crucified man, alleged to be that of Jesus of Nazareth. What if it was real? What if the Shroud contained a secret powerful enough to alter the course of human history....and what if it fell into the wrong hands?

Man
Paperback, 1st, 282 pages
Published July 1st 2013 by Wayside Press

To ask other readers questions about The Linen God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Linen God

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Linen God
Paige Green
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from JustRead Tours and Wayside Press. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Rating: 4.5/5

Genre: Mystery

Recommended Age: 15+ (mystery, intrigue, suspense… there’s nothing too adult in this book for younger readers but it is aimed at an older audience)

Pages: 282

Author Website

Amazon Link

Synopsis: The legendary Shroud of Turin is the most studied and controversial religious relic in human history. The ancient linen cloth bears the inexplicable image of a cr
Suzie Waltner
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

A Biblical relic, the inner workings of the Vatican, a battle between good and evil, and a touch of romance combined to make The Linen God a page-turner I could not put down.

Jim O’Shea has written a captivating story with memorable characters and a fast-moving plot that grows more intense as it proceeds.

Other reviews mention comparisons to other authors (and I do see traces of Dan Brown and even Frank Peretti) in this book but with O’Shea’s ability to make all the details coalesce into
Daphne Self
Along the lines of Robert Ludlum, Jim O'Shea delves into the world of the Vatican, The Shroud of Turin, intrigue, and faith.

Definitely a page-turner, definitely a heart-pounding read, The Linen God explores the deepest part of humanity. Not even the most faithful of servants are truly faithful.

What if prophecies foretold came true? What if those prophecies were lies, the manipulation of men and evil forces?

Could Christ be cloned? Would that be the Anti-Christ and the fall of the Church and the
River Laker
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read a pre-publication version of The Linen God. I don't usually read thriller type books but the author contacted me about his plans to release this, his debut novel, and I requested to read it, even though it hadn't gone through final edits yet.

First off, I want to mention that I read the whole book, from start to finish - I don't do this unless a book has in some way captured me. And I was motivated to read the whole book in just a few days. I found the experience enjoyable and exciting. A
Lynett
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Well written and suspenseful. Once you start, it is hard to put down. Manny and Grace become your kids, your friends, you can't wait to turn the page to see what happens to them next. The book takes many turns and just when you think you have it figured out a new clue is dropped and forces you to rethink your conclusion. I love reading a book that pulls on your imagination and allows you to form the characters, the scenes, the action in your mind. Love it, what will Jim O'Shea write n ...more
Jody
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got this book through a Goodreads giveaway. I really enjoyed it. I like having strong women characters driving the action. This book has just enough twists to keep you guessing almost to the very end. I just wish the book had been a little bit longer so that a few more of the back stories could have been expanded upon for example the relationship between the brothers. All in all this was a very enjoyable read and I would recommend it to any of my friends to read.
Fizzy
I'll be honest. I wasn't sure where this book was going to take me. I was intrigued by the idea of this book and I enjoy faith-based suspense stories that take nuggets of real truth and real artifacts (like the Shroud of Turin) and weave them into something that could be, might be true. My concern lay in the idea that this book may focus so completely on the Catholic thread that I would quickly be lost in the sauce. I'm not Catholic, I have an aunt that is, and I don't really have Catholic frien ...more
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jim O’Shea

Having heard about the Shroud of Turin, along with controversies surrounding the legitimacy of the shroud truly belonging to Jesus Christ, I was rather unsure of what I would find in this debut novel by Jim O’Shea.

Pleasantly engaged with the storyline, but yet skimming through and even skipping small passages of the story due to my own squeamishness regarding demons and the like, I found I enjoyed the book. Despite the definite Catholic influence within the novel, and my
Julia
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Linen God by Jim O'Shea is a thrilling contemporary Christian suspense. It had me gripped from the start and I read it in just one sitting.
Reminiscent of the movie of Dan Brown's Angels And Demons, the reader enters the shady world of the Vatican where forces of evil battle with the good. "The enemy mimics the things of God... to deceive and destroy." Life is a spiritual battle. We do not always understand it but we combat evil with prayer and standing on the Word of God.
"The most powerful f
MJSH
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book by Jim O’Shea that I have read and it was riveting. I enjoy mysteries and suspense and this book had plenty of both, along with good doses of plot twists, memorable and lovable characters, and lessons on how faith can be lived out. Anyone who enjoys a well-written contemporary suspense novel with an element of the supernatural would love this book.

The characters Grace and Manny are relatable and lovable. Their dialogue is down-to-earth and refreshing, even in the midst of
Dianna (SavingsInSeconds blog)
I received a free copy of this book for review. Opinions shared are 100% mine.

Apparently the shroud has a tremendously detailed history as a historic artifact and religious relic; however, the late 1980’s was the first time I’d heard of it. In the book The Linen God, the shroud is surrounded by all kinds of mystery and danger. The story reminded me of The DaVinci Code because of all the twists and turns. The romance seemed rather forced, though, and I think the book would have been better withou
Beckie Burnham
The Linen God by Jim O’Shea is a supernatural thriller based on the Shroud of Turin. With action from the busy streets of New York to the hallowed halls of Vatican City, it combines obscure prophesies and modern technology to provide a fast-paced read. Cover-ups, conspiracies, spiritual warfare, and end-times references make this novel perfect for fans of both The DaVinci Code and the Left Behind series. The style is edgier than most CF; something I don’t have a problem with. Twists, turns, and ...more
Alyssa Hill
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of The Linen God in exchange for an honest review!

This book is shrouded in mystery..!

The opening chapter was very suspenseful, and captured my attention immediately. It was smart and thought provoking, and I couldn't put it down this weekend! I actually want to do some research and see what parts of the book are truth, and which are fictitious for the purpose of his writing!

There were secrets, and conspiracies, and I enjoyed seeing how all the characters and their stories final
Leslie M.
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it

If you enjoy books like The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown, then you may want to check out O’Shea’s book. It’s a nice blend of mystery, drama, and suspense. There are three murders, the mystery surrounding the Shroud of Turin, and prophecies that keep the reader engaged and guessing, trying to sleuth things out with the characters.

Manny Lusum is fascinated with the Shroud of Turin, to the point that his thesis is about proving that the Shroud is genuine. He jumps at the chance to see it in person. He
Patti Whitson Stephenson She Lives to Read
This a good debut novel for this author. It is well-written and suspenseful. It’s quite a thriller. The storyline takes many intriguing turns, and this book will keep you second-guessing everything until the very last chapter. Although this is a clean novel with religious overtones, I would not classify it as “Christian fiction”. I’d put it more into a “clean suspense” category.

However, to be honest, this is not a book that I would recommend. I did not care for the gruesome murders or demon poss
Inspirationalfictionreader
The Linen God is Jim O’Shea’s debut novel. I really liked his writing style. It was crisp and flowed nicely, although due to the subject matter in the book, it had a dark feel. I also liked that the action literally started on page one. The story switched back and forth from a murder mystery to Manny, and his friend Grace, who are researching the Shroud of Turin. I really like the character of Manny.

I wish I could have finished this story. I was interested to see how both the murder mystery and
Meagan
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an incredibly thought-provoking, engaging read. Fast-paced with plenty of twists and turns. Be sure to start reading it when you have a good chunk of time available, because it’s hard to put down!

I felt like The Linen God was what DaVinci Code wanted to be. It’s well-researched, historically accurate to my knowledge, and makes me want to learn all I can about the Shroud of Turin!

The Linen God was also an interesting read for me as a Protestant. I learned so much about Catholicism while
Melony
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tim O Shea is a ‘new-to-me’ author. Don’t let the cover put you off, this is a riveting read and it really reminds me of Frank Peretti’s Piercing the Darkness in that it deals with good vs. evil in a tangible way. Science and Faith converge in The Linen God and I am so very glad I read this book. It stretched my mind and faith. Okay, that’s an understatement, it BLEW my mind when it came to twists and turns and kept me guessing all the way to the end. Talk about a thrilling read, literally. It i ...more
Angela Walker
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of the book and a positive review is not required.

Plenty of twists. Strong cast. Fast paced. I really enjoyed this Inspirational Suspense/Thriller. It started with a murder scene and captured my attention from page one. There are a couple of points of view but I feel like Manny Lusum is the main protagonist and everything centers around the linen death cloth that may have covered Jesus.

I really like that I learned something new. I honestly had never heard of the
Elizabeth Maddrey
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
In the vein of Dan Brown religious conspiracy novels, The Linen God weaves an interesting tale with the Shroud of Turin at its heart.

Overall this was an enjoyable read, though I did feel there were some threads started that weren't as resolved as I would have liked (e.g. the purpose behind Grace's childhood experience, the resolution of Grace and Manny's relationship felt abrupt, how they solved the basic conspiracy (particularly given the detail in which the conspiracy is outlined, when it's re
Rondi Olson
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am probably not the best person to review this book, as it is the first thriller I have ever read, but I did enjoy the characters and the plot and overall think it was worth the time.

I did have a few complaints with the first part of the book. A few important scenes happened off page. A new chapter would begin, and I'd wonder if I had missed a page, but going back I hadn't. I would rather read an important plot development as it happens than be thrown in after the fact. I also felt more inform
Randy Schrupp
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read the manuscript for this book and could not put it down. I have researched the Shroud of Turin somewhat extensively and found the premis of this book very plausible, which makes it excellent fiction and an exciting read. It makes one wonder, for what reason
Christ left this indellible footprint of His ressurection on earth.

While much of the world doubts and discredits the authenticity of the Shroud, I found the impirical evidence in and on that linen to overwhelmingly support the Biblical
Meghan Jonas
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone!
This novel gripped me from the very beginning. I found myself drawn into the intense story following these characters through their journey to find answers. This story shows a meeting of modern day science and religion.

This novel takes you through unexpected twists and turns. As someone who likes to guess what is going to happen next, this novel provides an adrenaline rush driving me to not want to put the book down to get answers.

Readers who are drawn into Dan Brown's Da Vinci code or Angels a
Anastasia Abboud
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Swiftly as I read this book -- it cannot but be read quickly; you'll see why when you read it -- it has taken me time to review it. In order to give a fair review and remain true to my own voice, I must say that I'm not comfortable with some of the subject matter. But that's just me.

That's my disclaimer. Now for my review. "The Linen God" is interesting, fast-paced, extremely suspenseful. Yikes! The two main characters are immensely likable, which makes the story even more gripping. If you are r
Peter Mongeau
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Manny Lusum is obsessed with the Shroud of Turin. He’s almost finished his doctoral thesis, which will prove that the Shroud is genuine, when he has the chance to see the Shroud during its visit to New York.

Manny’s discovery that the Shroud there is not the original Shroud rocks his world – until he’s swept into a conspiracy by his best friend, Grace, and her mom, a journalist tracking down the story behind three grisly murders in Rome.

Read more: http://catholicfiction.net/book-revie...
Marilyn Wiggs
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book. One of the best books on this subject with the background information I needed for a study of the authenticity of the Shroud of Jesus Christ. Each page kept me eager to keep on reading even far into the night. When I thought I knew where this story was leading, along came a twist so unexpected I had to read more. Thanks to this author for an exciting good book and keep on producing. I look forward to adding more of these O'Shea novels to my bookshelves.
Linda Wiggs
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The author skillfully uses suspense, drama, and mystery to provide the reader with a fascinating and unexpected journey. Three mysterious murders, the mystic of the Shroud of Turin, and prophecies of St. Malachy make this a page-turning read. The Linen God is an excellent book.
Ron Estrada
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love any book that points to how easily the church can be deceived. Excellent thriller with plenty of tension to draw the reader from one scene to the next. I dropped a star because I thought he could have held me captive for a while longer before resolving the conflict, but overall a good read.
Susan Sricklinghart
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very good read. I couldn,t stop reading. Want a susprising ending. I never could have guessed this ending. Totaly surprised'
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you liked The Da Vinci code, you should enjoy this.
Vote for "the linen god" as TBCN book of the month 2 3 Jul 18, 2013 07:30AM
Book Promotions: 'the linen god" Now Available - Mystery/Suspense 1 5 Jul 01, 2013 10:29AM
Library Readers: the linen god 1 5 Jun 27, 2013 10:11PM

• Darkwater Secrets (Darkwater Inn #1)
  • The Ornament Keeper
  • A Vast and Gracious Tide
  • The House at Saltwater Point (Lavender Tides #2)
  • Brunch at Bittersweet Café (The Saturday Night Supper Club, #2)
  • Called to Protect (Blue Justice, #2)
  • The Curse of Misty Wayfair
  • Hidden Among the Stars
  • A Rebel Heart (Daughtry House #1)
  • Lady of a Thousand Treasures (The Victorian Ladies, #1)
  • A Southern Season: Stories from a Front Porch Swing
  • Minding the Light (Nantucket Legacy, #2)
  • Daughters of Northern Shores (Blackbird Mountain, #2)
  • Sons of Blackbird Mountain (Blackbird Mountain, #1)
  • Chosen People (Chosen People #1)
  • Mind Games (Kaely Quinn Profiler, #1)
  • Miles from Where We Started
  • Swimming in the Deep End
Jim is a long-time resident of fly-over country and now spends his time crafting novels of suspense that tackle the complex relationship between science and faith....... stories designed to take the reader to places he or she may not have previously considered.