Start by marking “The Fairies of Turtle Creek” as Want to Read:
The Fairies of Turtle Creek

The Fairies of Turtle Creek

Claire Collins is a rational eighth grader who believes that science can prove everything. But her scientific world is flipped around when her estranged grandmother comes to live with her, telling about the family's history with twists of the whimsical and supernatural.

At first, Claire is skeptical about her grandmother's tales, but mysterious things begin to h
Published February 28th 2013 by Wisdom House Books

To ask other readers questions about The Fairies of Turtle Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairies of Turtle Creek

Start your review of The Fairies of Turtle Creek
Cheryl Ammeter
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First disclosure. I met Jill Sayre at the DFW Writer's Conference in 2012. She asked for advice on self-publishing and I shared my experiences and contacts without reading any of her manuscript. When I got this book I expected it to be good, but I got more than I bargained for. Second ratings. I wish Goodreads offered something other than a 5 star system. Very few books are perfect, but in my mind if a book inspires you to share it with others and there are no significant flaws, it rates a 5. ...more
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
I found this story to be beautiful and a very pleasant listen. A young girl is visited by a grandmother who she hardly knows. Only having few and strange memories of visiting her. Before her grandmother arrives Claire begins to notice small incidents and she is not exactly ecstatic to have to spend time with her weird relative.

As she begins to spend time with her grandmother and learn more about who she is and her belief in fairies, the magical world begins to slowly show itself to Claire and b
Joel Peterson
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this lovely book! It’s a wonderful story and very different from what I would normally read, but I enjoyed it thoroughly! It gave me an opportunity to see the world through not only female eyes, but a teen-aged girl’s eyes and heart, and the special relationship and impact that separated generations can share.

I loved how the author made the 13 year-old lead character, Claire, so strong, rational, and focused, but also allowed her to open herself up to intuitio
Jeanne Skartsiaris
The Fairies of Turtle Creek is a fun book filled with magic and heartfelt relationships. The characters were real and I could relate to Claire struggling with her conflict between science and magic - as well as having to deal with her grandmother's visit and her brother fighting a war. Are fairies real? Claire needs more proof than what her old grandmother offers until small miracles happen. We're all blessed with miracles every day but don't always see them. I enjoyed seeing the world through C ...more
Courtney Anz
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Absolutely charming. An independent-minded young girl goes against age-old assumptions and decides to have faith in her grandmother's crazy notions (the entire family thinks the grandmother is off-kilter.) In the process, not only does she fall in love with her grandmother, she begins to have a larger faith in her own heart and mind. Young teens who are not ready to grow up, but are already feeling the pressures to do so will LOVE this story.
Danni
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Fairies of Turtle Creek is magical realism at its best. Delightfully written with an enthralling storyline that captivates and encourages reflection along the way. Jill K Sayre has a real talent for bringing her characters to life, each one vibrant and immediately endearing. I will certainly be recommending to friends with similar reading tastes as my own.
Rae
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet little tale of an estranged, eccentric grandmother reconnecting with her young scientifically minded granddaughter to show here the magic of the world around her through her life story. Love the weaving of logic with the spiritual realm and the idea that fairies are earthly Angels. A beautiful feel good story.
Simon
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully imaginative, real escapism within the pages of a book. A new twist on Fairies with an enthralling plot that I found totally absorbing and superbly written. What more can I say except excellent.
Annastew1144hotmail.com
Beautifully written and wonderfully descriptive, Jill Sayre really has captured the essence of magic we associate with fairies. One of those books that simply draws you into another time and place and leaves you wanting more. Keen to see what she releases next.
Alegna
A beautifully written book about the belief of fairies and whether or not one young girl will believe her dying grandmother or not. It's a must-read for granddaughters, grandmothers and fairy believers everywhere!
Glenn
Dec 26, 2016
Donna Robertson
Oct 19, 2018
Faye Ridpath
rated it did not like it
Dec 15, 2013

• The Ugly Laws: Disability in Public
  • The Tale of the Wulks
  • Ophie Out of Oz
  • Psychs
  • Worlds Apart (Sword of Tilk #1)
  • The Eye of God (The Fall of Erelith, #1)
  • River Rising
  • Those Necessary Thorns: Desiree Elizabeth Taylor (Those Necessary Thorns, #1)
  • Go Home Lake
  • House Trap
  • Escaping the Dark House: A Self Help Memoir of Depression
  • Armageddon and the 4th Timeline
  • Guardian's Faith (Guardians of the Race, #4)
  • I Want to Make You Safe
Born and raised in southern California where flowers bloom year-round, Jill K. Sayre loves plants and gardening. She grew up in a small town, just outside
of Los Angeles, full of beautiful Arts & Crafts homes, with her antique-collecting parents. While attending UCLA, Jill modeled and received her degree in Art. She continued on to
receive her Teaching Credentials in Elementary Educa