Start by marking “X-COM: UFO Defense - A Novel (X-Com)” as Want to Read:
X-COM: UFO Defense - A Novel (X-Com)

X-COM: UFO Defense - A Novel (X-Com)

3.19  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Commander Jonelle Barrett is determined to win. Having moved from Morocco to a new base in Switzerland, she is well-placed to build a fortified base and defend Europe from the marauding aliens who harvest humans as lab animals for breeding stock . . . and for their dinner tables!

Barrett soon finds that her new territory is already riddled with alien invaders. Her handpicke
Published December 22nd 1995 by Prima Lifestyles

To ask other readers questions about X-COM, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-COM

Letande
Mar 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
The game-based novel from “will write for food” author. Sounds bad and, well, it is. Official X-COM: UFO Defense (also known as UFO: Enemy Unknown in Europe) video game novelization is your typical example of poor novel that relies only on the popularity of the original game, without being able to provide anything about the reading itself. As you can easily guess, Diane Duane didn’t even try to create a proper novel and decided that for people, who care about video games it’ll be enough to just ...more
Melody
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I have a bit of an addiction to X-Com. I used to play the original and Terror from the Deep (TFTD) as a kid when they were new. I always preferred TFTD as it was creepier under the water and has flying brain monsters that can control you. Freaky! Then, I found the game again as an adult on Steam and played it way more than I should. And what went and happened? They made a modern version - Enemy Unknown that just eats up all my time.
I suppose it's only natural that a successful video game franch
Andrew
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I pulled this off my shelf when the X-COM remake appeared last year. The book is from 1996, when the original X-COM games were hot. I guess Microprose wanted to buy some legitimacy because they went and got a novel off Diane Duane. Diane Duane, it turns out, really wanted to write a book about Switzerland. (If you trawl her web site you'll find a lotta love of Switzerland.) So we have this rather delightful confection about alien monsters invading the Swiss Alps.

Duane does what she likes to do,
Adam Mclean
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Book was meh! Personally I wish there was more depth to the story. I was able to understand many parts of the book since I have played the original game many times over. This is where fans like the book (like myself) but we are demanding more details about everything in this book. The game was amazing and it provided so much information that could have been a part of this book and all it did was scratch the surface.

If you have not played the game I would pass on the book. For x-com fans this ca
Jose Angel
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
El libro es bastante justillo y me ha decepcionado. XCOM es un juego mezcla de estrategia/ciencia ficcion/ terror. Donde lo mas importante, es el apego que el jugador desarrolla a lo largo del juego a sus hombres, ya que en cualquier momento estos pueden morir (y es permanente) a manos de los extraterrestres o de los propios miembros del escuadron. Pues de todo esto no vemos mucho en el libro.

Los personajes, 2 son los principales, son planos sin carisma o aptitudes especiales, la comandante y un
I.F. Adams
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
A surprisingly good adaptation of a now ancient video game.
Graham Oliver
Nov 11, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: scifi junkies
Shelves: pulp
I loved this game, and the book is a pretty entertaining short read that supplements it. Mostly I was just looking for the most random book I could think of to see if it was on here - and it was.
Gerry
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Probably as faithful an adaptation of X-Com as we are ever likely to see. I really enjoyed it though I'm not sure how much of a re-read it is.
Area51
Maksimas
Dec 03, 2012
Paul Darcy
Jan 13, 2012
Diane Duane has been a writer of science fiction, fantasy, TV and film for more than thirty years.
Besides the 1980's creation of the Young Wizards fantasy series for which she's best known, the "Middle Kingdoms" epic fantasy series, and numerous stand-alone fantasy or science fiction novels, her career has included extensive work in the Star Trek TM universe, and many scripts for live-action and a
More about Diane Duane...