Start by marking “Sunburn (Fear Street, #19)” as Want to Read:
Sunburn (Fear Street, #19)

Sunburn (Fear Street #19)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  2,759 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
You could get burned…

The perfect suntan. Soaking up the rays. Fun on the beach. That’s what Claudia Walker had in mind when she accepted her friend Marla’s invitation to spend the weekend at her cliffside beach house. Little did she know that horrible accidents—fatal accidents—would occur on the beach and in the house.

But Claudia knows they’re not “accidents.” She’s sure s
Published June 1st 1993 by Simon Pulse (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Sunburn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunburn

Bobby Underwood
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sunburn was an absolute blast to read, and without a doubt has to be one of R.L. Stine’s best books in the Fear Street series for teenagers. Once upon a time R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike almost cornered the reading market for both elementary school age children and older teenagers. Now these seem kind of retro cool, and this one in particular is a real gem!

It begins with a bang when Claudia Walker wakes up to discover she’s buried in the sand on the beach. Where are her friends, Marla, Sophie
Ken
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great instalment in the popular 90’s YA Horror Fear Street series.

Claudia is invited along to her friend Maria’s beach house for the weekend, they are joined by Joy and Sophie - the four of them having spent the previous summer at camp together.
But after a series of events that are initially felt like accidents; Claudia, Joy and Sophie start to suspect that Maria might be planning on killing them.

It’s a fun Horror/Mystery with plenty of red herrings, the revelation of what happened at t
Rebecca McNutt
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I usually don't expect much from these YA thrillers (I've always loved the cover artwork, though). Sunburn, however, proved to be much more intense and original than the norm, with an engaging mystery and a nostalgic summer setting.
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

Claudia is invited to go on vacation with some friends from a camp she went to the previous summer. Claudia thought she was going to have the time of her life, just her and her friends alone, enjoying the seaside mansion with a private beach all to themselves. Just summer fun, right?

WRONG

It all starts with Claudia being left out in the sun sleeping, buried in sand... deliberately? But that’s only the first of many “accidents” to come to the girls. Is it possible that th
Catalina Sennett
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have always loved the Fear Street novels by RL Stine. I think they were the beginning of my love for YA novels, I mean, they were practically the only YA novels in the early 90's right? Save for Chris Pike and LJ Smith of course, but these started the entire YA genre really.
Anyways, this novel follows four girls, who met at summer camp in the past and are now reuniting for the summer at Marlas house. Claudia, the MC is from shadyside, so that is where you get the fear street link. I love how
Emily M.
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super exciting. I loved the flashbacks and it was completely the opposite of what I expected!
Anna
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sorry, I'm too busy driving a truck through the plotholes.
Shannon
May 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own, 2013
I really don’t have much to say about this book. Anyone who knows me can tell that I’m obsessed with Fear Street books, but this wasn’t that good at all. Mostly, it was just okay. The plot was kind of boring. There weren’t really any moments where I was scared or creeped out. There was one scene involving an Irish wolfhound and a shark. I felt like it was supposed to be super suspenseful. However, it wasn’t exciting at all and as pages and pages went by, I kept wishing that this part of the stor ...more
Zoe Ali
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An oldie but a goodie!
Mary Claire
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fear-street, crime
Pretty intense with a nice twist near the end. More lengthy review to follow.
Jana
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised by the ending.
Sahar
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Andrea
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting,easy-reading book,for teenagers,and everyone else who feel that way too.
Naomi Stothard
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Entertaining as _always_ ;)
kylajaclyn
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Moral of the Story: Wear sunscreen. Also, watch Pretty Little Liars. It will help you detect when someone's not who they say they are.

Body Count: 2

The Usual Suspect(s): Marla and "Ghost Boy" aka Daniel

Tagline: The Perfect Tan... or the Perfect Murder?

Plot: So please forgive me if I forget what happens to whom. It's all so quick (146 pages!) and also there's not a lot of room for character development in that time.

We open with our protagonist, Claudia, buried alive. She's a redhead and the sun i
Victor Diaz Magallon
Realmente no esperaba mucho de este relato, pero al empezar a leerlo caí en cuenta del gran oficio de R.L. Stein en las historias de terror.

La historia es muy sencilla: un grupo de amigas son invitadas a la casa de playa de una chica con la que hicieron amistad en el campamento de verano. Pronto se darán cuenta que algo extraño esta pasando en la propiedad en la que se encuentran prácticamente incomunicadas y lejos del pueblo mas cercano.

Cabe mencionar que el argumento es muy parecido a lo que
Chelsea Gouin
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fear-street
Re-Read. Fear Street tackles quite a few "beach" books, and they're usually the better ones in the series. Sunburn is the first of the Horror in the Sun titles, and it doesn't disappoint. Not so much "horror" with the lack of gruesome deaths...Sunburn still is edge-of-your-seat storytelling that begins with a girl being buried in the sand during high tide. There's also a run-in with an electric fence and a shark chase. Even though I'd read this one in my youth, I'd forgotten about the fun twist ...more
Cassi
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is probably my favorite Fear Street book that I have read since starting the series for my podcast (We Know What You Did On Fear Street). It definitely had the teen horror vibe. The descriptions were good and there was a good amount of tension especially as it built towards the climax.

But the mystery was really predictable. R.L. Stine should probably stop reusing his previous ideas. Once you figure his style out and read one of these books it's like you've read them all. A little variety mi
Irham Nurrahman
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Menurut saya,Cara penuturan cerita dari R.L. Stine sangat efisien,
ia mampu menyeimbangkan efek horror yang tidak berat
namun (seperti halnya Goosebumps) penulis mampu mebuat pembaca
merasa penasaran untuk melanjutkan tiap halaman selanjutnya
dengan baik.Untuk Twist endingnya wow,Recommended! Silakan dibaca.
Wilhelmina Puspalenna
Love the plot. Love the characters. So why only 3 stars? Cause there's something that doesn't make sense. I didn't get the shark thing. Idk but i was like.... what. That shark totally ruined the story. But i still love the ending and maybe i would read it again.
ElphaReads
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fear-street
HA, this was by far one of the more laughable twists, but I had a really fun time reading it and laughing at it. So many crazy moments that make no sense!!!! And THE COVER!!! Possibly my favorite FEAR STREET cover of all time.
Amber
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the fear street books when I was younger I hope a whole new generation falls in love with them now ... :)
Gabriel
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
This one was hilarious and not in a good way. I felt nothing close to excitement and that final plot twist was totally absurd. Two stars just for the laughs I've had over its lack of sense.
Jana Creager
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a good mystery, love r.l. stine
Kristeena Rheault
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
So much nostalgia reading this book, hence the high rating :)

To read my review click here:
Y
2.5 stars.

Revisiting Fear Street, part one.

Waaay back in the fifth and sixth grade, I was all about Fear Street. My best friends and I would try to buy up as many of the books as we could (with what little money our elementary school selves had...I didn't even receive allowance back then) and then we'd lend out/borrow all the books we didn't have between ourselves so that we could read as many as possible (not a small feat, what with new titles coming out every two-to-three months or so). While
Talina | Sassy & Dangerous
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone
Recommended to Talina | Sassy & Dangerous by: No one
Shelves: favorites
Also reviewed at my blog! http://sassyanddangerous.blogspot.mx

You could get burned...

The perfect suntan. Soaking up the rays. Fun on the beach. That's what Claudia Walker had in mind when she accepted her friend Marla's invitation to spend the weekend at her cliffside beach house. Little did she know that horrible accidents—fatal accidents— would occur on the beach and in the house.

But Claudia knows they're not "accidents". She's sure somebody is out to get them...out to kill them. The week of "
Trevor Wells
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fear-street
I've finished reading this, and I thought it was pretty good. It's not as good as some of the other Fear Street books I've read, but it was a good read and you should check it out if you're a Fear Street fan and haven't read it yet. Although, I can't say it's a book I'd want to read more than once.

Plot Synopsis: Claudia Walker isn't having the best summer. So when her old friend from camp, Marla Drexell, invites her to a camp reunion at her cliffside beach house, she eagerly accepts. Her two ot
J.N.
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it

Plot:

The plot came across as a kinda campy 80s movie, but I really like that sort of thing so it was entertaining. It was a bit predictable in who the killer actually was but the "scares" weren't. Though there's one really strange part involving a dog and a shark that was kind of hard to wrap my head around. Still, it was an interesting revenge plot and fun summery campy horror story despite the gaping plot holes (one in particular involving Marla really bothers me).

Setting:

The house the majorit
Ger Francus
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
  • Last Act
  • Final Exam
  • Hello, Mallory (The Baby-Sitters Club, #14)
  • The Perfume

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine

Fear Street (1 - 10 of 51 books)
  • The New Girl (Fear Street, #1)
  • The Surprise Party (Fear Street, #2)
  • The Overnight (Fear Street, #3)
  • Missing (Fear Street, #4)
  • The Wrong Number (Fear Street, #5)
  • The Sleepwalker (Fear Street, #6)
  • Haunted (Fear Street, #7)
  • Halloween Party (Fear Street, #8)
  • The Stepsister (Fear Street, #9)
  • Ski Weekend (Fear Street, #10)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)