Start by marking “A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)

A Confederation of Valor (Confederation #1-2)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  1,338 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr's goal is to keep both her superior officers and her troops alive as they face deadly missions throughout the galaxy. She more than proves her mettle when a diplomatic assignment and a scientific expedition both turn dangerous.
Published December 5th 2006 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about A Confederation of Valor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Confederation of Valor

Tim Hicks
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
As military SF, maybe 4 stars. Better than most.

But I'm starting to think that military fiction has become so rigid that it's almost an automatic minus when you judge it just as SF.

Military SF checklist:
* Protagonist is a hard-boiled NCO - check (but a point for her being female)
* there is a general who's a complete tit - check
* there are some nice officers but they are kept peripheral
* lots of forces slang and jargon
* there's a media rep who's also a complete tit
* somewhere in the story ther
Speedtribes
Rachel Neumeier
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So, just read this omnibus of Valor's Choice and The Better Part of Valor, by Tanya Huff. Huff isn't an auto-buy author for me, or at least she never has been . . . I like her books okay, but I don't go seek them out.

Well.

A friend recommended the Valor series to me, and I instantly bought the other two.

I enjoy military SF, at least as long as it's more adventure than blood-and-guts. Not that I want it all sanitized exactly, but I want the main character and at least some of the secondary charact
Nikki
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, 2017
I love Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr! She is a bamf if I've ever seen (read) one.
Kathy
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi, thriller
Staff Sargeant Torin Kerr... she is awesome... she is in charge of her marines, and molds & deals with higher ups... all with determination, sincerity, and strength... doing exactly what needs to be done...

She does it in a future time, where the Confederation has contracted with Earth (150 years earlier) to be their soldiers against 'the Others'... bug like creatures that want to destroy the Confederation holdings... two other species (and a 3rd by the end of the 1st book) were also negotiat
David Caldwell
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, sci-fi
Omnibus edition of Valor's Choice and The Better Part of Valor.

This is not what I normally think of when I think of miltary sci-fi.Most of those books were written by former military men who focus a lot on the weaponry and the fighting.There is nothing wrong with those types of books, in fact they are usually a lot of fun to read.The Valor stories just don't fit that type though.

The Valor series follows Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr.Basically a Staff Sergeant is the link between the officers and the
Ctgt
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is actually the first two books in the Confederation series. I really liked the first and enjoyed the second although I thought the second book dragged just a bit. In some ways the author uses pretty familiar tropes, bad-ass Staff Sergeant Kerr who leads her troops while trying to shield them from the upper echelon. The twist is her troops are human as well as alien. Several alien species have joined forces with humanity to battle the Others. So this in itself makes for an interesting dynam ...more
Mya
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If I had a daughter, I would press this book into her hands so that she could truly see that women can be badasses and leaders just as sure as any male! Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr is a beast! She's a Marine through and through. Tanya Huff portrays the 'Leave No One Behind' soldier as a profound leader in the face of truly horrific circumstances. "A Confederation of Valor" is actually two novels in one: "Valor's Choice" and "The Better Part of Valor." While the first book is more emotionally wrack ...more
Mary Holland
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the omnibus version of the first and second Valor books: Valor's Choice and The Better Part of Valor. They are both excellently written, very funny, and have a detailed military space-opera fantasy universe. It's obvious Tanya Huff was in the military non-commissioned ranks: she has all the jokes and the tone of grunts dealing with insane and stupid officers down pat.
In Valor's Choice, Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr takes a picked platoon of soldiers on a diplomatic mission to encourage a new
Rachel Thompson
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Valor's Choice: Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr is a battle-hardened professional soldier. Her platoon is denied a well-deserved leave for an easy duty as an honor guard for a diplomatic mission. Enemies of the Confederation had been spotted in that sector of space however, so Torin is ready for anything.

The Better Part of Valor: Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr is separated from her platoon and sent off on a dangerous assignment to protect an expedition to a seemingly empty spaceship of epic proportions.

Huf
  • Deserter (Kris Longknife, #2)
  • Blade Dancer
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
  • To Trade the Stars (Trade Pact Universe, #3)
  • Crossing the Line (Wess'har Wars, #2)
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff...

Confederation (7 books)
  • Valor's Choice (Confederation #1)
  • The Better Part of Valor (Confederation #2)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • Valor's Trial (Confederation, #4)
  • The Truth of Valor (Confederation, #5)
  • An Ancient Peace (Peacekeeper, #1; Confederation, #6)
  • A Peace Divided (Peacekeeper, #2)