Start by marking “The Cheater (Fear Street, #18)” as Want to Read:
The Cheater (Fear Street, #18)

The Cheater (Fear Street #18)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  2,033 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Under pressure to perform well on her math exam, Carter Phillips persuades math whiz Adam to take the test for her in exchange for one date, but one date is not enough for the dangerous young man.
School & Library Binding, 125 pages
Published October 1st 1999 by Tandem Library (first published April 1st 1993)

Trevor Wells
I just got finished reading The Cheater and it was pretty...OK. But compared to other Fear Street books, it's pretty underwhelming. But there were some pretty good characters and the plot was original. And, to be honest, I didn't see the twist at the end coming. Overall, though, it's a pretty subpar book and isn't the kind of book that leaves a lasting impression.

Plot Synopsis: Rich girl Carter Phillips is under a lot of pressure from her father to get a good score on her Math Achievement test (
Rose
Apr 15, 2015 rated it liked it
This was better than I thought it would be. It reminded me of a Lifetime movie. Although the ending was kind of cheesy.
Kiasia Saunders
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This plot twist at the end was like WAIT HOLD UP LET ME GO BACK AND REREAD A FEW PAGES!!!
Paula Brandon
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Naughty Carter Phillips gets school bad boy Adam to take her exam for her, and is soon being blackmailed. Things get even worse when Adam shows up dead! It's a fun read, but the ending was too Murder She Wrote for me. I like a bit more violence in my finales! It lacked the thrills of a typical Fear Street climactic showdown.
vampire (dipita) grul
Sep 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
its so cool. its about a girl how cheats
Leslie
May 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Scary! Makes you think twice aout cheating in school!
Isahiah
May 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
this book is cool yall should read it
Chelsea Gouin
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fear-street
The premise for this book was so stupid...seriously, what was R.L Stine thinking with this one? Carter's Dad is super strict and expects perfection from his daughter. So when she only scores a 500 on an AP Math Test he demands she re-take it. The problem? Carter is terrible at math, so she makes a deal with Adam, a boy from the wrong side of the tracks, to take the test for her. He scores a perfect 700 but now she has to go on a date with him. At first she kind of likes the slightly dangerous Ad ...more
Amber
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the fear street books when I was younger I hope a whole new generation falls in love with them now ... :)
Kody Simpson
Shelves: owned-read
3.5
Violet
Dec 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Sinceramente, no me gustó. Nada. No lo odié, pero realmente no le hallé nada demasiado remarcable.

Oí que el autor es muy bueno, que ha escrito muchos libros atrapantes, emocionantes, terroríficos, geniales. De Stine sólo leí éste, un pequeño librito perdido entre las estanterías de mi casa. Y me pareció poco original, predecible, aburrido. Ni me dio miedo ni en ningún momento sentí compasión por la asustada y tonta protagonista.

El recurso del (view spoiler) m
Cpiers2018
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The cheater is a fictional story about a high school girl named carter. She got a grade she thought was good but her dad thought was horrible on a big math exam. Carter would anything to please her father about her school grades but she knows she cant get a 700 on this test, Which is what her dad wants. She asks Adam, a smart boy from her school to take the test for her so that she can please her dad, But carter needs to do something in return for Adam. Adam wants one date with Carter. They go ...more
Abhijit Gupta
May 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: rl-stine-books
Selenia
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love R.L. Stine. One day I hope to be as cool of a writer as he is.
Books by R. L. Stine, along with books by Joan Lowery Nixon and Lois Duncan, were always my escape, and probably the reason I love mysteries so much. I can't thank these authors enough for always creating worlds that I could visit and place myself in. These are books I always re-read because I enjoy them so much.

I love the world of Fear Street, and in this book it was nice how R.L. Stine depicted how out of hand things can get
Miriam
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
The chaeater was a very interseting book to read. It was about blackmailing, and it was fun to find out what she will do next to so her friend won;t spill her serect. Some parts of the sotry i felt very scared becuase i felt bad for the main charater of what she been going through. I learned from this story is to never lie even if its hard to, and don't let someone take over your life when you know its hurting you. the best thingt to do is to tell someone what really going on, and maybe the porb ...more
Autumn
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is good. It is a mystery! The main characters are Charter, Dan, Shela, and Adem. Once a agin this book takes you back to Fear Street. There is some people dating in it along with a person wanting to do somethin and another does not. That person does that thing and from that moment has some troubles to deal with includeing some money and dating. She might also get blamed for something and do some thing really trick to get that person to confess. This is a really good book if you like my ...more
Paige
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was an incredibly well composed book. It was about the consequences a teenger had to face trying to bribe a boy to not tell anyone that he was the one to took her SAT for her. She paid him with expensive jewelry. Afterwards, he forced her and her true friend to go out with him and his friends so he wont tell anyone her secret. The ending was also very interesting. It was unexpected. It would teach a good lesson. I rate it a 4 out of five...it wasnt that scary, but it was epic.
Jamespc
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
As pedestrian as I find Stine's style to be, this book was actually good fun, with a nice little bit of suspense in it. Characters are cardboard puppets, the story is as structured as a TV movie, but it was still worth it just to hop back into that headspace of the pre-English major reader I once was for an hour. A bunch of the Fear Street books have been coming back lately, so perhaps I'll pick up another.
Elena
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
Carter Phillips is a perfect daughter. Staight A's, a picture perfect boyfriend, she is a daddy's girl. Until her math exam. She's great in every subject, except for math, which is her weak spot. She bombs the test, and is forced by her father to do a retest, as this will count for her college application. Scared out of her mind, she gets the school rebel Adam Messner to take it for her, in exchange for one date. But the dangerous Adam is looking for much more than that.
Helen92696
Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Carter Phillips is under a huge amount of pressure- attending all her clubs, acing advanced math class, and most important of all- impressing her dad. Since Carter is so busy, she can't seem to find time to study for a math test. So she plans to cheat and let Adam take it for her in exchange for one date. But Adam is demanding more and more. Carter can't stand it anymore. Will murder be the only way out?
Tatjana

Eine kurze, nette Geschicht aus der Fear Street-Reihe. Im Moment lese ich die Bücher aus Gründen der Nostalgie und fühle mich jedes mal wieder 10 Jahre in die Vergangenheit versetzt, als diese Bücher für mich noch das Größte waren. Mittlerweile finde ich sie nur noch "nett", aber dennoch eine gute Unterhaltung für zwischendurch...
Lindsey
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Randomly decided to read this before bed and I ended up finishing it in the next hour. I must say, I couldn't predict the murderer in this one quite as quickly as other books in the series, so that resulted in swift page turning.

Lesson of the book: NEVER INVOLVE OTHER PEOPLE IN YOUR SKETCHY ACTIONS.
Papia aziz
Sep 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
There was a girl who doesnt pass any tests. So, she told her boyfiehd to do the test for her because he's the smartest. So, when he did it for her he kept asking her to give him money. Not just a thousand money he wont more than that. And where will she find that much money, and what is so secret about that boy. Read to find out!!!!!
Dillon
Dec 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
i like this book because its just something fun to read. i gave this book a five star because its not what i expected and i thought that was kind of a good thing. my favorite character in this story is the boy because i think he is pretty cool and daring. this book has some suspense because the boy is kind of tricky and tricks the girl.
Alex
I was surprised at how well this particular Fear Street book held up. I remember this one not being a favorite as a kid, but I enjoyed it a lot more now as an adult. I also couldn't remember whodunnit, so it was nice to be surprised by the ending; Fear Streets really were all about those surprise endings.
Kathy
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I love the Fear street books they are filled with suspense, and this one did not disappoint. We can all learn a simple lesson from Carter; it is never good to cheat. This book made me stop and think after reading it. It is so true that one bad decision will lead to more and more bad decisions. Good job! R. l. stine.
Mario
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think this is a really good book to reflect on. This book really tells you one of life problems for a teenager. I think this story is something that would happen in real life. The title of this book tells you what the story is about. I would recommend this to those whon want a life lesson. Even though this is just a story, it has a lesson to it.
Lara
Feb 29, 2016 added it
Carter Phillips wants to perform good on her math exam because she doesn't want to disappoint her dad. After a long debate in her head, she decides the only way out, is to cheat. When a classmate, Adam offers to take it for her in exchange for a date, she takes her chances. After the date, Adam keeps threatening Carter to go to more dates, and then things get dangerous...
  • The Lost Mind
  • The Yearbook
  • Party Line
  • Guilty (Nightmare Hall, #6)
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Waitress
  • Prom Dress
  • Friday the 13th

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Fear Street (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The New Girl (Fear Street, #1)
  • The Surprise Party (Fear Street, #2)
  • The Overnight (Fear Street, #3)
  • Missing (Fear Street, #4)
  • The Wrong Number (Fear Street, #5)
  • The Sleepwalker (Fear Street, #6)
  • Haunted (Fear Street, #7)
  • Halloween Party (Fear Street, #8)
  • The Stepsister (Fear Street, #9)
  • Ski Weekend (Fear Street, #10)