Start by marking “Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)” as Want to Read:
Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)

Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  1,996 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
It's the ultimate beach party in California. And Karen, who's just broken up with her boyfriend, is going to enjoy every minute of it--especially having two new guys who like her. But the party takes a nasty turn when Karen realizes someone is out to spoil the fun by getting rid of her.
Published August 1st 1990 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Beach Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beach Party

Gary Butler
Dec 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller
89th book read in 2017.

Number 619 out of 653 on my all time book list.

Mind-numbingly silly
Sati Marie Frost
I remembered the main plot points of this book quite well, despite the fact that I probably hadn't read it in fifteen years, but I couldn't remember if I actually liked it or not. Happily, it turns out that I did.

Karen (California girl) and her friend Ann-Marie (visiting from New York, where she's been living for a few years) are spending the summer at Venice Beach, and are planning to party nonstop. Karen's recently broken up with her boyfriend, so she's thrilled when she meets two new guys: sw
Rebecca McNutt
Beach Party is filled with choppy sentences and generic characters, but it's definitely one of Stine's better books, a suspenseful and eerie mystery filled with all the nostalgia of the late 20th century.
Michelle Toy
Rating is based on / against other Point Horror's that I have read as part of #PointHorrorBookClub and you can find my thoughts here

www.talesofyesterday.co.uk/2018/01/ph...

Please be aware that as this is a discussion post it will contain spoilers!
Kris Lugosi
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jesus, I read this when I was like 8, and I do not remember there being so much eluding to sex in it! No wonder I humped every surface of house growing up...

Stine loves his cliff hangers! Super apparent in BEACH PARTY where damn near every chapter ends with one.

Two friends vacation at the father's house of one of the teen girls. The dad is
Matt Garcia
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
R.L. Stine is one of my favorite writers of all time. I grew up reading his books and he is probably the main reason why I love horror literature so much. Reading this was very nostalgic. I don't really read young adult or teen fiction other than the horror stuff which I love so this was a treat to go back and revisit the stuff that I grew up on. This was intended for teens but I think as an adult it still has an appeal to it based off of the content in it which is not all innocent and cutesy. T ...more
kylajaclyn
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is one of the more uneventful Stine books. After reading Beach House, I honestly expected more. It's about a flirty California girl named Karen who is hosting her more reserved New York friend, Ann-Marie, for the summer. Karen lives in Venice. At the start of the summer she meets two opposite guys she likes equally: Sweet Jerry and Tough Vince. Ann-Marie is annoyed Karen won't spend time with her. Renee is annoyed because Jerry is her boyfriend. So when Karen starts getting threatening mess ...more
Jarrett
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Great book with a mystery trying to be solved throughout the whole book
Connie
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Source: I own this book.
Cost: Unknown

Title: Beach Party
Series: Point Horror #8
Author: RL Stine
Overall Rating: 4 stars

I remember this being the first Stine book that I read that wasn't a Goosebumps book and I was shocked at the stark differences. Firstly, the characters actually have personalities that are unique to them! The storyline of this book was a rollercoaster that followed a very who-dun-it type of trope. You thought it was Renee that was being horrible to Karen, you suspected
Ken
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better Point Horror's, felt that the characters were likable and the mystery was interesting enough to keep me hooked.
Trisha
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Oh, man! This re-read gave me so much joy, and the occasional uproarious burst of laughter. I must say that compared to some of the other Point books I've re-read lately, this is one of the better ones in terms of writing quality. It was still laughable though in a lot of ways.

Amusing pop culture references contemporary to the time:
* Ann-Marie compares her little brother to Freddy Krueger and says her bro is a bit better. ha
* Vince "looks a little like Sting"
* Jerry looks like Tom Cruise! (p.24)
Megan
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This story revolves around Karen. Karen’s friend, Ann-Marie, who moved across the country is back to spend a month of the summer with Karen. Karen and Ann-Marie are staying at Karen’s father’s beach house in Venice, CA while her dad and step-mother are on vacation. They meet Vince, the head of a local bunch of “bad boys” and Jerry, a sweet guy. Jerry has a girlfriend, Renee, and when Karen starts getting phone calls and graffiti at her house stating “Stay away from Jerry” she starts to wonder if ...more
Gayle Noble
Oh dear, where do I start with this one: seeing a guy you know has a long term girlfriend, thinking a guy being moody and vaguely threatening is attractive, repeatedly ditching your friend who has come to visit so you can hang out with said guy, etc. Nope, nope, nope. Definitely one of the worst books in the series.
Kelly
The first half was pretty terrible, featuring a string of random scenes and repetitive dialogue. When Stine drops the mid-90s high school hair twirls, and the crazy things begin to happen, it starts to feel more like classic Stine. But you can tell that this is an early work of his. Skip it and head straight to Fear Street.
Barbi
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I remember this being much better when I read it as a teenager.
I reread this since one of my kids is a fan of RL Stine and wanted to read it. Definitely not the best book that I have read by this author.
Mandy
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Karen has the perfect summer vacation planned for her friend Ann Marie who she hasn’t seen in a year starting with a beach apartment. Everything isn’t going as planned when the girls find themselves confronted by a gang of boys on the beach. Thankfully two boys come to their rescue, and the girls end up heading to a pizza place with them. Karen finds herself falling for Jerry while she knows she shouldn’t because he has a girlfriend but she doesn’t stop either. As Karen finds herself spending mo ...more
StephanieNicole

This is a fun summer horror story from R. L. Stine. He kept me guessing who the killer might be. I love all the 90s references: I miss leaving notes on the fridges instead of texting, but my retinas sure don't miss the Day-Glo everything.

The ending was a bit too ridiculous(view spoiler)
Paul Kim
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: r-l-stine
Actual page number: 166 pages

Overall a meh book.

Not enough scares or actions to spook the protagonist with mostly thin foreshadowing.

The scares provided are mostly less sensational or derivative from other ya horror books although there's one prank I do find disturbing, memorable, and somewhat original.

Predictable villain as well.

Despite so, there's still some suspense as the main character faces prank and the book isn't too long with its short amount of pages and simplistic proses.

I do find th
SaturNalia
3.5 Karen and Ann Marie are friends, getting ready to spend a fun summer vacation on the beach. One night, they meet Jerry and Karen is smitten but Jerry has a girlfriend then strange calls start happening warning Karen away from Jerry. Karen was paranoid, self centered and fickle. She made stupid, dangerous decisions then wondered why bad things happened. (view spoiler) ...more
Bg
Aug 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
Being that I've read this several times,And enjoyed it, this time around it was a little bland, but still a fun Summer Read. I question the main character, Karen's maturity level she went back and forth between guyses if it was some kind of pros and cons game and I wasn't as scary as it was the first couple of times. But since its been so long since I read it. It definitely lost some of its R.L, Stine magic but for those who haven't read it yet, it's a really good, really quick, and noncommittal ...more
Glynnis
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Sam and I just finished reading this the other day and loved it. R.L. Stine rivals Christopher Pike when it comes to vapid, bitchy heroines and even bests him when it comes to cliffhangers at the end of chapters. If you're up for a little fun in the sun and a perspective on the teenage, female mind that is actually quite hilarious - check it out!
Justin MacCormack
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has everything.

It had a beach.

It had a party.

It even had a midget wearing day-glo green, charging people money to rub his bald head for luck.

Surely, this is the greatest work of fiction in the history of humanity. If you have a copy of the complete works of Shapespeare, throw it out. You have this now. It has everything. Including green midgets.
Shyanne Foster
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Ik that this is like a book for 10 yr olds but I had it on my shelf an felt like I should read it...so I did and I kind of expected it to be scary ....I am absolutely not giving any spoilers but I thought it was gonna be ALOT more creepy
Allison
This Was a very intresting book, honesly different then some of the other books, of R.L. Stine boooks Iv'e read. Surpriselny, only one cahracter in the book was murdered. and the end was all differnt then all of the other books, also.
Fiasco
May 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
I usually read these in a night at most, this one was not a page turner. Took me over a week, but otherwise it wasn't too bad. I missed teenage fiction that wasn't about tortured, sexually frustrated wimps.
Jennifer Love
A 98% chance I read this one in high school... But what can I say? A book doesn't make it into the library without a 100%. Not the most interesting from Stine, but not terrible. It's a little cheesy, a little dated, and a tad predictable, but overall it is compelling nonetheless.
Michelle
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of my childhood favorites.
Shell
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Enjoyed it at the time
Cupof Tea
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
"vengeful" was my best one word description of this book in junior high.
Tammy
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, r-l-stine
first book i ever read :D
  • Funhouse
  • Teacher's Pet (Point Horror, #10)
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • Prom Dress
  • Mother's Helper (Point Horror, #14)
  • The Phantom
  • The Perfume
  • Amnesia
  • Last Act

R. L. Stine b

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice, #12)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)