Start by marking “Superstitious” as Want to Read:
Superstitious

Superstitious

Stine is the world's bestselling horror writer for children, but this is his first novel for adults. Liam is a bachelor professor of folklore and he's incurably superstitious. When people start getting murdered, it seems that Liam's demons are real.
Published October 1st 1996 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Superstitious, please sign up.
Derek Garrett Yes, he has Red Rain, Eye Candy, and The Sitter

Steph
Jan 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Superstitious was okay... it wasn't bad (and it fills the void time of my pretentious sociology class :P), but I didn't really like it very much. I think R.L. Stine does better at writing middle-grade novels like the Goosebumps series than he does trying to write horror for adults, although to be fair, Superstitious does have its good moments from time to time.
Michele Garber
Feb 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Seldom do I say this, but I hated this book. I had a passing familiarity with the Goosebumps series, which I thought was great for kids, so I was willing to give Stine's adult novel a try.

If only I could get those hours back, and the money I spent.

Stine apparently thought you can "adultify" a novel by adding healthy doses of sex, gore, and expletives. Now, don't get me wrong--these things do have their place, and can elevate a story to dizzying heights when used skillfully, and sensibly. The re
Crystal Hiatt
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
R.L. Stine is the absolute master of horror. I absolutely loved reading his Goosebump and Fear Street books growing up, and am thrilled to be reading his books into adulthood. I often wondered why Stine never wrote horror fiction for adults. I was so thrilled to find this book-And I was not disappointed! This novel is so intelligent, well-written and, most importantly, terrifying! I was hooked until the very end. And, even after the story ended, I'm still left wondering what happens next. He is ...more
Nick
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having just hit a milestone in reading my first YA Point Horror book (Trick or Treat) I decided to read a book by the author most associated with YA horror. Mr R.L. Stine himself.

Except the first book of his I read is an adult horror. Although well known for writing YA horror Stine also wrote a few adult horror books.

A number of reviews point (horror – get it? haha) out that this book is written in a YA style and Stine has just added blood, gore and sex to make it an adult read. Great!! Sounds l
Eric
May 28, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one I like
This book is billed as Stine's first adult horror novel. It is not very good.

The premise sounds promising. A local small-town college is shocked and terrorized at a series of gruesome murders on campus. In the meantime, a new professor has wowed students and impressed his colleagues by teaching classes on mythology, folklore, and superstition. Not surprisingly, the professor, Liam O'Connor from Ireland, is superstitious himself.

Graduate student Sara Morgan returns to her alma mater from New York
K.J. Bryen
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Don't worry, no spoilers.

So first off, I'd like to say that I understand the low ratings a lot of people gave this book. It was a little silly, and was very similar to R.L. Stine's Goosebumps series, aside from the added sex and gore.

However, I am giving this a 4 star because it did it's job. It was interesting, fun, and kept me entertained. I ended up despising his main character Sara, but the mystery kept me thoroughly interested from beginning to end. Looking for a compelling, mind-blowing n
Faith
Feb 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody.
Serena
Apr 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
I have to give credit where credit is due...R.L. Stine cultivated my love for horror at a very young age. I adored the Goosebumps books and I still pick one up every now and then to revel in my childhood. I expected this to be a seamless transition from a successful author of childrens books to adult horror fiction. I think I expected a little too much.

The main character, Sara, comes off as a weak, needy female. In an attempt to flee her previous dysfunctional relationship, she moves closer to h
Rachel
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book reminded me of why I stopped reading Fear Street novels. R L Stine isn't a bad writer, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't write horror. He writes gore. I read horror novels because I want to be scared, shocked, psychologically twisted. Like Lovecraft, Poe, Bram Stoker, and the rest of the greats, I want to finish a book with chills from the profound meaning; the horror that means more than just slashing. I don't read them because I want to be disgusted with overly bloody imagery. I wou ...more
LJ
Oct 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
SUPERSTITIOUS - NR
Stine, R.L.

When graduate student Sara Morgan meets Liam O'Connor, the dashing folklore professor, the attraction is mutual. Sara is far too much in love to let Liam's odd superstitions, or even the brutal murders in the town, get in the way. That is, until she learns the secret behind Liam's superstitions.

Definitely NOT for children. This was beyond gruesome and poorly written besides.
Derek
Mar 13, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could have rated it a negative I would have...
Lindsay
Sep 16, 2010 rated it did not like it
Stereotypes women, drags you through about 300 pages of, "really?", and finishes up with an ending fit for a kid's book. R.L., you should be superstitious of adult fiction!
Jessi
Mar 10, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Jessi by: Picked it up at Lib.
This could quite possibly be one of the worst books that I have ever read. R.L. Stine needs to stick to young adult books!
Ashley
Mild Spoilers in review so read at your own risk:
I don't know why I had any sort of expectation for this book as I thought his YA books were campy even as a preteen. Hey... I'm not saying that I didn't like Fear Street and others like it but I still thought they were cheesy horror.
Which is what I got with "Superstitions". It was the same ole R.L. Stine writing, just laced with foul language and sex. The same old fake-outs that end up being a joke (Milton getting "shot"), prank calls (Babysitter
Connie
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Source: I read this online via OpenLibrary.
Cost: Free

Title: Superstitious
Author: R.L. Stine
Genre: Adult, horror
Overall Rating: 3 stars

I mean, I didn't expect a lot, so in that respect I was right. It was basically a Point Horror book with a lot more gore, sex and description. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't overly brilliant either, and as a massive fan of RL Stine's books it pains me to say that.

My main issue however was his inability to use the word sex. Like come on, it's an adult boo
Brittany Sturges
May 21, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
How utterly awful. After reading this, I cannot help but think back to all of his other books that I read growing up. This was just too chaotic and such an awful ending. Ugh. Plus, I felt it lacked in character development.
Kim
Jun 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Michelle Goodman
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was excited to find an R.L. Stine book for adults! Sadly, I think his Goosebumps and Fear Street series were more compelling reads.
Div
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Arthur
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun, but your enjoyment will depend on your tolerance for schlock. I happen to eat it up, so this book worked for me. The protagonist is so incredibly stupid that it sometimes makes it hard to, like, care... but the denoument was enjoyably insane and made it feel worth the time.

It's plotted EXACTLY like a Fear Street book, so there's some nostalgia there if those were things you read as a kid.
Bridget Thomas (bridgetsbookstagram)
I definitely understand the large amount of negative reviews on this one. It was basically just Goosebumps filled with sex and gore to make it an "adult" book. But, it did it's job well enough because I did enjoy the story. It kept me guessing and kept me interested. One thing that did really annoy me though was Stine's descriptions of what the female characters were wearing. Do they only wear leggings? Seriously, leggings is mentioned at least 20 times throughout this story. It's pretty hilario ...more
Maetta
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
The other reviews are pretty negative but I really enjoyed this book which kept me entertained and guessing throughout and ended on a SCREAM.
Andy
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'll try to be as spoiler free as possible.

Like most people that read this, I was a big fan of Goosebumps growing up in the 90s. When I was browsing at the library, I found this and was immediately interested.

Things I liked:
+Chapters are short.

+There are kills in this, and the kills are very graphic. Stine did a good job loading the kills with a bunch of detail.

Things I didn't like:

-The supernatural kind of comes out of nowhere. About 2/3's of the book has a murder mystery feel. That was what I
Myra
Sep 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Really more like half a star. Maybe. This was so awful. I fully admit to skimming starting at about page 75. I don't even know where to begin. Characters are very stereotypical and idiotic. Plot is nothing new. And the writing is some of the worst I've ever seen. Bad enough that you would assume the man had never written before. Stine is the king of sentence fragments. For every one complete sentence, there must be 3 fragments. Here's a sample paragraph.

"Laughter in the hallway. Raised voices. P
Joe
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
The professor Sara is drawn to is a bit...well, eccentric would be putting it mildly. He is superstitious, but we’re not just talking about: Step in a crack, break your mother’s back. Liam is something of an extreme case, but even more extreme are the murders around the small town college campus that coincide with the professor’s oddities.

Sounds mildly interesting, right?

Don’t get excited.

Some childhood treats are best left as fond memories. They’re just not as good as adults. Don’t get me wrong
Kevin Bachovchin
May 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
When I was younger, I really liked the Goosebumps and Fear Street books by R.L. Stine, which is why I thought I'd give R.L. Stine's first novel for adults a try. I honestly wasn't expecting a lot from this book, but I was still disappointed. While Superstitious is billed as an "adult book," the writing in this book is at a middle school level (short sentences, simple vocabulary) just like in the Goosebumps series. The only things that made it an "adult book" were the numerous sex scenes. Also ma ...more
Nicole Williams
Mar 31, 2011 rated it liked it
I haven't read a R.L. Stine book since high school. I saw this at a garage sale and picked it up. This is R.L. Stine's first adult fiction book. It was good but I don't think it's his best work.

I like how he was very descriptive in his death scenes. Very gruesome. But I felt it was lacking. The book was a little slow. I wanted more to happen. And then, it ended. Just as it was getting good; it ended. How disappointing.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Superstitious very much. It's a good, easy read.
Danielle Langlois
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
As a Fear Street fanatic when I was growing up I was disappointed in this "adult" novel by R.L. Stine. Having not read any of his books for years the familiar writing was comforting but aside from the sex, cursing, and added gore I still felt as if I was reading a young adult genre. Sara wasn't believable enough to be an educated undergrad student with how naive she is portrayed. I found the ending and answer to the mysterious campus murders to be a little far fetched and something that would ha ...more
Josh
Jan 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
I didn't go in to this book with any expectations of quality, but nothing could have prepared me for the absolute schlock-fest that is Superstitious. Laughable dialog, gratuitous sex (to prove this is an "adult" book?), and a plot that ranges from predictable and bland to frustrating and repetitive all swirled together to create one of the worst books I've ever read.

On a side note, Stine sure seems to think that all the attractive ladies of 1995 wore nothing but brightly colored sweater dresses
do you think Liam is going to start dating Sara? 1 4 Jan 15, 2016 08:10AM
  • The Dreamwalker's Child
  • Vampire Stories
  • While the Others Sleep
  • Gothic Sports, Vol. 1
  • NYV: Punk (New York Vampire, #1)
  • Nowhere Girl
  • Night Terrors (Savage Species, #1)
  • Strawberry Hill
  • The Witch Returns (Witch Saga, #6)
  • Witch Dreams
  • Death of an Old Master (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #3)
  • The Unloved
  • Burning Bones (Body of Evidence, #7)
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span

R. L. Stine b
“Some people sailed through life, as if riding one of those gliders her brother Gary liked to fly, taking off from the highest hill, not knowing where the wind would take him, but enjoying the ride the whole way.
Sara wasn't the gliding type. She always had to make things a little harder for herself. "You're always getting in your own way," Gary had told her after she had lost her job in New York and confided to him she didn't know what to do next. It wasn't exactly the advice she wanted to hear. But the words had remained with her.
She spent more time thinking about things than doing them. Another pearl of wisdom from brother Gary. Gary the freelance journalist. Gary the traveler. The glider.”
0 likes