Start by marking “The Burning (The Fear Street Saga, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Burning (The Fear Street Saga, #3)

The Burning

(The Fear Street Saga #3)

The end…and the beginning

Simon Fear thought changing his name would stop the evil. He was wrong—dead wrong.

After generations of unspeakable horror, it is up to Daniel and Nora, brought together by their fateful love, to unite the feuding families. But is their forbidden love strong enough to withstand such awesome evil?

Poor Nora—desperate to tell the truth and bury the fam
Published October 1st 1993 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Burning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burning

Start your review of The Burning (The Fear Street Saga, #3)
Donna
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
At this point you’d think someone would be like JUST MARRY ALREADY because we’re creeping up on 250 years of bad luck and dead bodies and it’s about time to let this shit go instead of keeping the home fires burning, you know?

Nora is our storyteller throughout the series and now, in this last book, we finally get to her story that was introduced at the beginning of the first. Like all the others it involves two lovebirds wanting to marry after a few hours of knowing each other but shenanigans en
Drucilla
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fear-street
I must admit this book certainly lives up to its expectations. The story of Simon Fear and his family is finally told in all its graphic horror. The twist regarding Simon and Angelica was interesting. Regarding the curse, again it seems self-fullfilling and yet there are supernatural aspects to it. I don't think what happened to Nora would really happen, though. (view spoiler) It made me wonder: Is the curse really gone? Accordi ...more
Lindsay Heller
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, reread
I remember when I was little waiting, very impatiently, for this book to be published. It November of 1993 and this was the third, concluding, book of the Fear Street Saga, the historical horror trilogy that explained why Fear Street, in R.L. Stine's Fear Street series of books, was so haunted. I got it for my birthday, immediately tore in, and was not disappointed.

This book continues the story of the Fears (who have now changed the spelling from Fier) and the Goodes, two feuding families not o
Estrella
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
That was one of the first books i ever read from R.L. Stine and it's still my favorite till this day. You cant really explain what this book is about because it has so many twists and turns that it leaves you stunned at the end. When i read this book it was like a movie in my head because i could see exactly what she was describing. She made The Burning with so many vivid details that I actually thought i was watching it and forgot to close the turn of the T.V when i finished.I think this was on ...more
Sakura Koneko
Aug 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes the supernatural
The final book in this series, I ended up picking it up after reading the other two, wanting to see how these horrible series of events would end (though knowing it couldn't be very well, because otherwise we wouldn't have the Fear Street series of books).
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ridiculous. A few plot holes. Uses the word “servants” to describe the help that the wealthy characters in 1845 New Orleans had working in their homes. (Insert eye roll)...

Overall, though, this was a delightful anxiety-reducing, escapist, comfort re-read in the time of quarantine, and it did not disappoint.
Gabriel Mero
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy comes to a thrilling conclusion. While this one had 30 more pages than the other two in the set, I feel the ending was a tad rushed. We didn't get much time to care about Daniel or the love between he and Nora because it wasn't developed enough. The story definitely could have benefitted from another hundred pages or so. It was awesome to see why Fear Street was so cursed and to get so wrapped up in the feud between the Fiers and the Goodes.
kylajaclyn
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Same old same old. This one is divided into three parts like the previous book in the trilogy. We start off with Simon falling in love with Angelica who, shockingly, is not a Goode. She is, however, a witch with dark powers. Simon decides he will take out the two suitors in her life so that he can be with her, because that’s true Romance, don’t you know? So in the beginning we think that Angelica is this innocent girl who doesn’t really want to be with Simon. Her family doesn’t want her to be wi ...more
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Posted originally on my blog:
The Writer's Inkwell

In the final installment of the Fear Street Saga, Nora begins to tell the tale of Simon Fear and how the Fear mansion mysteriously burned down one evening. This is my least favorite of the three books. It claims Simon’s story is the evilest of all, but in truth, you get only samplings of his life. To be honest, I wish Stine had a companion series of the Goodes during these same years. It would be extremely interesting to discover how the timeline
Manda
Nomadic SA Chick's Book Reviews

Review
I loved this series as a teenager. I probably read the trilogy a hundred times in my teens. I don't know what it was about these books, but I was hooked. Reading them 10 years later as an adult I gave myself a migraine from all the eye rolling I did. I couldn't believe all the cheesy romance lines and easy swooning these ladies did. I mean good lord, a man said hi to these ladies and they wet their knickers with the excitement of wedding planning. It's la
Div
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hayley
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Anna
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The previous book in this series made me quit the series and almost killed RetRead. It was bad. This one? It's better and fills in more of the Fear family story. Except Simon Fear is a massive creep and it's great that he found his OTP. RL Stine has a real issue writing women and relationships and it's never more apparent than in this stupid saga. Thank goodness it's over. Oh wait...gotta record...............................................
Mary
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing great book because it had a lot of colonial times events.It was during the time period which made it very non-fictional because stories like this happened during those time periods!!!!!
Lilith Rayne
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
It was a good read but not as interesting as the previous two. Sometimes it felt like more of the same. The conclusion was not very satisfying for me, either. I would recommend it as a light read and if you want to find out what finally happens to the families involved. I give it 3.5/5.
Alexis
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great beginning to Fear street! I loved reading about the Goode and Fier family feud. It has been so long since I read any of the Fear Street books, and I'm glad I was able to get my hands on them again! I truly missed reading them.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
A worthwhile conclusion to the Fear Street Saga trilogy and a good read overall. I love family sagas so maybe that's why I enjoyed this series so much, but I thought it was decently-written for a YA book.
Brekke
Dec 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I used to love the fear street series when I was a kid. I think that anyone who likes a good mystery story and being young at heart should give them a try.
Ronni Lea
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
wow! fear street! my fave as a young in! I wonder if I'd like them as much now as I used to. I think I still have em all somewhere. :-)
Alex
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is my favorite trilogy in the Fear Street series, but this last one just isn't as good as the first two.
Tom
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun but the characters were annoying. I didn't know it was the 3rd book. Oops
Maliha Tabassum Tisha
Aaand I'm done with this trilogy. Whoop!
Chelsea Gouin
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The original Saga of Fear Street comes to a close. Nora must finish scribbling out the horrors of the Fear Family. This time the light shines on Simon Fear who changed the name from Fier hoping the curse of fire would be lifted. His hopes are dashed when his two daughters, obsessed with looks and their father's affection, reach horrific ends. His grandson, 20 years later, comes to visit him for his 75th birthday and it seems Daniel and Nora will be the ones to break the curse...a Goode and a Fea ...more
Tamara
The final installment of the Fear Street saga! I enjoyed this one more now than book two but the ending was too disappointing to me bc I finally liked a character, Daniel, and he had to d word :( but I guess the ending served its purpose to explain the spooky happenings on Fear street or whatever bc I don't know I haven't read the other Goosebumps or Fear street books lol. Overall, and since I'm a sucker for these family feud stories, I had a lot of fun reading the Fear Street Saga. The writing ...more
Dayse
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read this series as a kid and it doesn't really hold up, although there are some creepy moments that stick with you. I guess my overall impression is that there is a lot of potential (in terms of story and concepts) but the execution seems lazy and shallow. If Stine had slowed down and taken the time to build the story and the characters, it would have been amazing. Instead you have characters meeting, falling in love, and being horribly murdered within 3 chapters. It's very repetitive, 'twist ...more
Rebecca
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Samantha
I never cared much for the Fear Street Saga. They were interesting I guess, but just generally never my favorites. Re-reading them was intriguing, since I didn't remember a lot about them, but it's nothing I'd feel compelled to go back and read a third time. They just aren't quite as good as some of the other Fear Street books, which is sad since they tell the history of the place.
Tehnehn Kaijaah Edwards
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fear-street
i love the Fear Saga Trilogy. I have been reading the FS series lately cause nostalgia and this series was one I had not read yet. I raced through the 1st two books cause they were just that good. This was a great ending to the trilogy. Well written and the characters were interesting. I love reading about the messy Goode and Fear/Fier family drama. I highly recommend it.
Zuleima Salazar
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Really fun reads but there were a lot of holes in the story, in this last book. Like how many fier’s/goode’s are left? Is the land now haunted instead of the people? Obviously the haunting and darkness continues on Fear Street, but why? Lol. It should have broken the curse, but I’m not sure it actually was broken because did Daniel and Nora even actually get married?
Erica
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*standing ovation*
YES!!!! This trilogy was even better than I remembered! To me, THIS is classic RL Stine. Dark, evil and delightfully twisted! The Fear Street saga remains one of my all time favorite trilogies!
5 stars
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories
  • Snowflakes (Hush collection)
  • Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanganger, #4)
  • Trick or Treat
  • Whisper of Death
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • All That Glitters (Landry, #3)
  • Pearl in the Mist
  • Ruby (Landry, #1)
  • Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice (Thirst, #1)
  • Lost Boy Lost Girl
  • Chain Letter (Chain Letter, #1)
  • Spellbound
  • The Art of Harry Potter
  • Human Nature
  • Shadowmancer (Paladin Charm #1)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)

R. L. Stine b

The Fear Street Saga (4 books)
  • The Betrayal (The Fear Street Saga, #1)
  • The Secret (The Fear Street Saga, #2)
  • Betrayal: The Betrayal; The Secret; The Burning (The Fear Street Saga Trilogy, #1-3)

News & Interviews