Start by marking “Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads” as Want to Read:
Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads

Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  422 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
The ultimate guide of super-simple no-knead bread recipesFor years, home cooks have shied away from baking their own yeast bread because they were intimidated by the mess, expertise, and kneading required. Now in paperback, Nancy Baggett's revolutionary "Kneadlessly Simple" lets even complete novices bake bread quickly and easily in their own homes, with no kneading and no ...more
Published September 19th 2011 by Houghton Mifflin (first published February 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Kneadlessly Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kneadlessly Simple

Joanna Vaught
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i've made 4 different breads out of this book -- some of them multiple times -- and each one has been practically effortless and produced beautiful results. i put off baking my own bread for so long because it seemed so time- and labor-intensive and if any variable was off, the whole thing was a wash. nancy baggett's method delivers on the titular promise! highly recommend.
Jessica
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just read another review of this book, and had to laugh because it's exactly how I felt: How is keeping dough in your refrigerator for days two to three days easier than kneading bread? Especially when you have a bread mixer? And I don't have a dutch oven that is rated oven safe up to 500 degrees, which is called for in many of the recipes. I also thought the instructions were needlessly complicated -- each recipe is two to three pages long. Going to try Lahey's "My Bread" and "Artisan Bread i ...more
Elaine Nelson
Aug 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook, own
I only got to make one recipe out of this book: the very first one. But it was amazing. I've made basic white bread twice now. The first time, I didn't let it rise quite long enough, so it was kinda dense, but still really tasty. The second time I was more patient (and maybe added more yeast? or it was warmer?) and it turned out just about perfect. I really want to get a copy and try more recipes. (Also need dutch oven.)

[Edit: got a copy for Christmas (2009 or 2010?) from my sister. Have made se
Mary Anne
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the ONLY way I bake bread now! (Other than an occasional quick bread.) My husband and I can't get over how good all of the breads we've tried taste. I got rid of my bread machine, and with a little planning and very little work, you've got absolutely delicious bread.
I've made a handful of recipes from this book. I love the flavor this method produces, but it does require more planning to set things out at the right time.
Barbara
Unfortunately this style of baking does not fit my lifestyle. I don't have room in our refrigerator for the dough bowl, nor can I figure out a schedule,per her recipes, which will work for me.
I have had the book for a year and haven't actually made anything yet. I am sure that the results would be great if I made them. But this approach is not for me at this stage in my life.
Tracey
Oct 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
baking. Apparently this was orig. underwritten by Fleischmann's yeast; pp197-201 discusses how to adapt traditional yeast/kneading recipes to this non-kneading method--basically it involves adjusting the order in which ingredients are added, a wetter dough, more proofing time, and a longer baking time. I generally do not have great luck with yeast, Fleischmann's or no, so when I tried the gluten-free light sandwich bread it was no surprise that the dough rose even less than you would expect of a ...more
Robert Beveridge
Nancy Baggett, Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads (Wiley, 2009)

My second “simple bread!” book of the year (after Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, q.v.), and it has many of the same weaknesses as its predecessor (mainly that by combining the repeated instructions in each recipe into one area and referring people back to it each time, this book would have been a quarter of its length at most), but also shares a strength: this really is a simple, if rather time-consuming,
Juanita
I tried the light wheat bread and the raisin cinnamon pinwheel bread. Both were delicious...but Nancy needs some different criteria besides "easy" and "fairly easy". It would be helpful to indicate the length of the recipe at the start as well.
My definition of "easy" is a recipe that takes leas than 20 minutes to prepare and then I put in the oven for X amount of minutes and voilà it's done!
Her definition of "easy" involves mixing, then refrigerating for 16 hours, and then adding more ingredient
Ruds
My two attempts at baking pandesal were failures despite following the recipe to the letter. Perhaps understanding the chemistry of the ingredients first might be helpful before I embark on ambitious projects. From the first chapters, I've learned about sugar/ flour ratio which was completely way, way off on my last try. Dough turned out so sticky that I knew, on that stage, my pan de sal was doomed.

I am new at baking and finds it enjoyable and relaxing and I hope this book would help me along t
Lisa
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was so BORING!!!!! i was expecting something more for someone who has never baked bread that it would be more user friendly. there were hardly any pictures that is big for me in a cook book i want a picture with every recipe if not that than at least one every other. another thing i want it simple this book was not the instructions were at least two to three pages long. it was like i needed a class on how to use the book it. it made me tired.... i would never take the time to make or eat anyt ...more
Lara
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of several "no knead" books I've read. Not my favorite, by far. I'm not a fan of sourdough bread-I'm sure some of you are gasping ;-)-so leaving the dough in the fridge for several days is not going to give me what I want. I also didn't like that there were not photos for each recipe, and that what photos there are got put together in the center of the book. I was able to get a few tips, though, and some of the non-bread recipes look interesting, so that's why I rated it 3 stars.
Liz
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
The breads in this book are tasty and satisfying, sure, but they require WAY too much forethought and planning, and have WAY too many steps separated by awkward intervals of time to merit the "simple" descriptor. No spur-of-the-moment bread-making here. I'd much rather make bread the old-fashioned way (kneading) than go this route. For genuinely simple, kneading-free bread, the Five Minutes a Day series is much preferable.
Kara Thomas
The recipes in this book sound inviting and delicious. The first half contains "beginner" breads that are quite easy to follow. The second half is more artisan breads that I am excited to try. The one thing about this book is that you have to have time. A lot of it. If you want one of these for a meal, you have to remember and start a couple days in advance.
Kelly
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These recipes are my go-to when I remember at bedtime that I need a loaf of bread the next day. Baggett's recipes appear overly complicated, but once the reader understands the basic process, it does not change much from recipe to recipe. She has complicated gongs by trying to show just how flexible the recipes can be for timing and convenience.
I just can't get my head around the idea that making bread over two to three days is easier than a bit of kneading. The recipes I tried were good, and many others sound tempting, but the pictures are not.
Elizabeth
Oct 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great idea and seemed quite doable.
Misty
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great for beginners and for someone who hasn't baked in awhile. I found recipes I want to try. If you like to bake, check this book out.
James Eckman
Why does a baking book written five years ago still use volume measurements and not weights? No nutrition info either. For no-knead recipes I would go for the Lahey book instead.
Brad T.
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Im making Italian bread and a chocolate-honey bread right now.
Marcella
Feb 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bakers
Another method of making bread from Scratch however I find it a bit time consuming to follow the steps I much prefer Artisan Bread in 5 Mintues a day
Betty
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So far the breads taste good but look very funny and have a cake-like texture compared to regular bread.
Adrienne
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't actually tried any of the recipes yet, but they look delicious and while I read the book I could taste them in my head.
Mckochan
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've made a least two dozen loaves, using various flours, in or out of the fridge, my own variations, etc, and as long as my oven temp cooperates, they turn out well.
Shawnie
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, non-fiction
Another great book of no-knead loaves. Great variety of multi-grain and old style bread recipes. I would like more photos.
Mckinley
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
Alternate style for making bread. I'm sure these are good. Just take time - days actually. So it's less likely I use these rather than kneading and using the bread machine
Rachel
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but this seems like it will be good way for us to have more fresh bread around the house.
Beth
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made 2 kinds for a party and they were both very good :)
Les
Apr 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good recipes, but I still prefer the original NY Times recipe for ease, taste and texture.
Felicia A
Kneadless, yes, but not as simple or fuss-free as billed. That's not to say it isn't good, just not what I was looking for.
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • 101 Things to Do with Ramen Noodles
  • Get Cooking: 150 Simple Recipes to Get You Started in the Kitchen
  • Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 2: More Amazing Clones of Famous Dishes from America's Favorite Restaurant Chains
  • The Dumpling: A Seasonal Guide
  • The 1,500-Calorie-A-Day Cookbook
  • Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express: 404 Inspired Seasonal Dishes You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less
  • Patti Labelle's Lite Cuisine
  • The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook: 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings, and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker
  • Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen: An Indespensible Guide for Anybody Who Likes to Cook
  • Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Mastering the Grill: The Owner's Manual for Outdoor Cooking
  • Canning & Preserving for Dummies
  • A Book of Mediterranean Food
  • Cooking for Friends
  • The 30-Minute Vegan's Taste of the East: 150 Asian-inspired recipes--from soba noodles to summer rolls
  • My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method