Start by marking “The Good Stuff Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Good Stuff Cookbook

The Good Stuff Cookbook

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
"In this solar system of culinary stars, there is a newborn one that shines very bright. Chef Spike Mendelsohn has a pulse on the American heartbeat for delicious, soul-satisfying comfort foods from his crowd-pleasing restaurant on Capitol Hill that has pleased Presidents and celebs. Enjoy the Good Stuff recipes and see why folks are coming back for more."
--Chef Art Smith,
Published November 17th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Stuff Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Stuff Cookbook

Rea K
Jun 11, 2015 marked it as cookbooks  ·  review of another edition
I like this one for the pictures. And because I like to read recipes. Stop looking at me like that.
*waves arms* WAIT. A MAJOR ISSUE WAS REMEMBERED WHEN SHREDDING CARROTS FOR A CARROT CAKE THIS MORNING. Ahem. Spike Mendelsohn, you may know your burgers and fries and shit (Chicago has a Good Stuff Eatery, so next time I'm in Chicago, I'mma investigate and know for certain), BUT your carrot cake photo really ought to look like a bloomin' carrot cake. Not some white-ass cake with orange dots. Look,
Bunny
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves food
Recommended to Bunny by: Allison
I'm a Top Chef fan. I have NO shame. And thanks to Alley, Spike went from being one of my top 10 favorite chefs to one of my top 5, then one of my top 3. I refuse to say whether he's all-time favorite, because I like to leave a little mystery.

The food in this book is SO YUMMY LOOKING. I say yummy looking because in order to make any of this stuff, I actually have to go grocery shopping, and you know, I'm kind of a lazy bitch. But I'm on it!

This is just SUCH down home, comfort eating. I mean, fo
Patricia
Read this book, but don't trust it implicitly. It has good ideas and interesting flavor combos, but a lot of the amounts listed are really vague or inaccurate. For instance "juice of 8 lemons" in a recipe to turn normal mayo into an herb mayo. This amount obviously varies wildly depending on size of lemons. I used two, and still ended up with a soup instead of a spread. Similarly, I ended up with sloppy joes instead of burgers when the meat-mix was too wet to hold together. Still tasty, and defi ...more
Myles Brooks
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everybody should get this book because you're making recipes from a good place. If you ever have tried the food at the restaurant Good Stuff on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington DC, man, you should get this book.
Ginnie Grant
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very different spin on Burgers and fries and shakes! The recipes are awesome, the pictures beautiful and the personality that makes spike unique and millions fell for on top chef shines through on every page.
Dorena
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was at the library and wanted some new recipes and this book caught my eye. Maybe I was hungry for greasy, mouth-watering fast food? There are a lot of tips and great recipes in this book. I can't wait to fix Big B's Baked Beans. Mmm-mmm.
Andrea
Liked this guy on Top Chef. Looking over the recipes offered in this book, I am definitely going to be expanding our burgers and fries menu (as well as our waistlines, I'm sure). :)
Mandy
Aug 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
50% burger recipes. Why did I reserve this?
Aug 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The shakes in this look positively yummy. Add that to the recipes for baked sweet potato fries and two vegetarian "burgers" and I'm sold.
Alison
Three words: Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake
Can't wait to try it.
Janet
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Good stuff. Interesting shakes and desserts to try.
Kim
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Burgers, fries, shakes, wedges - nothing out of the box or particularly complex (RB float = rootbeer & icecream!)
Michele Tolleson
May 06, 2015
Linda
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Great sounding recipes but no redeeming health value here!
Ryan